Paper Clipping Pages in Passport?

diane.in.ny

Our passports don't expire until Dec 2019 but we are running out of free pages. And we have an upcoming trip that requires free pages.

That said, we have a trip BEFORE that one and have a bunch of pages with just one small stamp. Would sure love it if any of those pages were used during that trip.

So .... has anyone ever used a paper clip so the passport opens to one of these barely used pages to get stamped at immigration?

You used to be able to send passport in and purchase extra empty pages for you current passport. Not sure if they still do that bu it might be something to look into?

Anyone here familiar with that?

You used to be able to send passport in and purchase extra empty pages for you current passport. Not sure if they still do that bu it might be something to look into?

I do not believe you can do this anymore. You have to get a new passport. Though when you get a new one you can get one that has more pages already in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Were all of those stamps ones that you asked for just to show where you have been or were they immigration required stamps? If the former, that is a good reason not to use your passport as a record of the places that you have been.

DON

You can put the paper clips in but if immigration looks at your passport there is a strong likelihood that they take the paper clips out and throw them away. If you are truly running out of pages your only option is to get a new passport, the State Department will no longer add extra pages. If you get a new one you can get the one that includes extra pages.

Our passports don't expire until Dec 2019 but we are running out of free pages. And we have an upcoming trip that requires free pages.

That said, we have a trip BEFORE that one and have a bunch of pages with just one small stamp. Would sure love it if any of those pages were used during that trip.

So .... has anyone ever used a paper clip so the passport opens to one of these barely used pages to get stamped at immigration?

Hi

If a stamp is required, it is the decision of the agent as to where it will go. You can ask. If that doesn't work you will need to renew your passport.

have a great trip

Have stamps from entry into Switzerland, Costa Rica, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Tahiti, Madrid, Rome .... should I go on? These are all stamps from entering, and sometimes exciting, countries. To the best of my knowledge, none of them were optional.

We are good for our next trip but depending on what happens, might have to get new passports before the one after that. :(

As others have suggested, it is best to go to the source. One of the FAQs on the State Department's website is exactly the question about extra pages:

Can I get extra visa pages for my passport?

No, you cannot. Applicants who need additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport by mail. Applicants within the United States may choose a 28-page or 52-page book. (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/faqs.html).

Renew your passports now and request the 52 page book.

We have had our passports for over 10 years, and not once have they been "stamped". Where do you get them stamped?

Huh, we have filled up a couple - Europe & Asia. Can't remember if we got visa entry/exit stamps while in South or Central America. We never ask that they be stamped. Just happens. Last PP we ordered were the larger ones with more pages.

PS: You may want to check the expire date on your passports. :D

I got a really good tip from a friend for my passport and that was to place post it notes on pages you want to remain blank and on the notes write "do not stamp please". You will get funny looks from immigration and sometimes they ask you what this is about but overall they respect it and move on to an another page. I always keep two pages covered in case I need them for visa requirements.

We have been in the same situation, with a future trip requiring two facing pages blank for visa purposes, and another trip before. We stuck blank yellow Post-it notes (UK product name, but there must be similar) on the empty pages we were trying to preserve, and explained why when asked. It worked for us, so may be worth a try?

Nope, they cannot do this any longer.

If you fill up the pages, you need to get a new passport.

But now, the "standard" tourist passport is 48 pages. It used to be 24 pages.

I also find that most immigration officers will use already used pages with some space, but there typically needs to be space for both entry and exit stamps. Of course SOME will use a blank page.

Not to worry as long as you have sufficient free pages for your upcoming trips. The Passport/Immigraation folks around the world are really fast at finding space and do not need your assistance. Most stamps do not ever need a free page and they will just add them to a used page that has space. It is only some countries that specifically require a free page..especially if you are getting a Visa stamp. A few years ago it was a simple (and free) matter to simply send your passport in to have pages added...but that is no longer allowed If you are worried about running out of pages you could always send apply for a new Passport now....and make sure you check the box to get the free extra pages (you can only do this on the application form.

As to the person that ask about Passport stamps, for those of us who travel to many parts of the world, authorities still stamp Passports and sometimes use a full page for Visas. But if you stick to the Caribbean or Western Europe you will undoubtedly not have to be concerned with filling up a Passport.

Hank

How to Add Pages to Passport

Effective January 1, 2016, The U.S. Department of State no longer offers the service of adding visa pages to a passport. This service has been discontinued to enhance the security of U.S. Passports and to adhere to international passport standards. Applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must apply for a passport renewal by mail or, in the case of a passport issued to a minor, obtain a new passport. Frequent travelers can apply for 52-page passports instead of the regular 24 pages for no additional cost.

We have had our passports for over 10 years, and not once have they been "stamped". Where do you get them stamped?

I'm guessing you have never flown into/out of another country. My old one has Honduras, Costa Rica, Columbia, Venezuela, Dominican Republic etc etc etc. Never left the airport in those places without a new stamp. Now for some reason coming back to the US it was always hit or miss if I got stamped back in. (Most of the time I was entering via MIA from Central/South America and somedays they stamped it others not)

Do you go to Europe or Asia? My passport has always been stamped when arriving in Europe and when leaving. If staying within the EU and/or Schengen zone, then it isn't stamped going between countries - only first coming into the EU or Schenge zone and when leaving it.

Any Asian country I've been to also stamps it on arrival and on exit. Trips to China used to take almost two pages because the visa takes a whole page and the stamps for entry and exit take a lot of the facing page. Now one can get a multi-entry visa for China.

Canada has always stamped when I've arrived by air. Perhaps they don't when arriving by land or sea. I don't have a stamp from my Seward to Vancouver cruise and they didn't stamp when crossing the boarder to go into the Yukon from Skagway.

The US used to stamp on when returning by air but they don't stamp when I come in with Global Entry and now that they regular entry uses kiosks and electronically readable passports, probably they don't stamp non-Global Entry either.

The last two times I renewed my passport, I got the double page option. Now that I've retired, I think I won't get that. It does make the passport more bulky.

I have had a paper clip in my passport because the visa expediting company put one in to mark where a visa was. No one commented on it. You could also use the post it tabs to mark a page you want them to stamp next. Just don't use anything that damages the passport pages as that can invalidate the passport.

Most stamps do not ever need a free page and they will just add them to a used page that has space.

Hank

Doesn’t really matter what most countries do when the one you are going to requires one or multiple consecutive free pages.

Most my current stamps required multiple free pages but that is only because of the places I have gone. I certainly don’t know (and don’t care) if that is representative “most” countries in this world.

Doesn’t really matter what most countries do when the one you are going to requires one or multiple consecutive free pages.

Most my current stamps required multiple free pages but that is only because of the places I have gone. I certainly don’t know (and don’t care) if that is representative “most” countries in this world.

Fair enough and folks should certainly do some homework before they travel, if they only have a few blank pages. South Africa is the only country that I think needs two blank pages, but given their recent actions one wonders if they would just confiscate all Passports (without compensation) regardless of blank pages :), Ironically, in my experience South Africa has never used more then one blank page. So you have made me curious as to what other countries require more than a single blank page????? Why not enlighten us all :).

We urge all friends to request the extra pages whenever they renew their US Passports. The extra pages are free but must be requested at the time of renewal (we mentioned this before). The only downside to extra pages is that one's Passport is a little thicker. Years ago we would often run out of pages before our Passport expired. But now, for those who spend most of their time in Europe it is much less of a problem since the EU.

Hank