Complete failure of a stop in Juneau - Bliss 8/28

I understand weather is not controllable. But our helicopter excursion landing on a glacier was canceled this morning about 20 minutes before we were to leave. Luckily, we booked the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm today as well. When we went for our meeting time to board the boat, crew said they canceled that too. This one was mechanical. All in all, a complete waste of a stop in Juneau. The weather I get. Mechanical issues that you find out about at the time of check in is not ok.

As most of you know, there are only 3 Alaska ports on this sailing. Today was a complete waste. This was the port that my family and I most looked forward to.

It sure what else we could have done. No advance warning for either. Left us completely without plans.

I understand weather is not controllable. But our helicopter excursion landing on a glacier was canceled this morning about 20 minutes before we were to leave. Luckily, we booked the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm today as well. When we went for our meeting time to board the boat, crew said they canceled that too. This one was mechanical. All in all, a complete waste of a stop in Juneau. The weather I get. Mechanical issues that you find out about at the time of check in is not ok.

As most of you know, there are only 3 Alaska ports on this sailing. Today was a complete waste. This was the port that my family and I most looked forward to.

It sure what else we could have done. No advance warning for either. Left us completely without plans.

If mechanical they probably did not know until the last minute, warning light etc. Would you rather they be

' unsafe?

Obviously very disappointing. However, if it was mechanical then they made the right call to cancel...and wouldn't know they have a mechanical issue until it was time to do the excursion. Much like an airline that doesn't know it has a mechanical issue until it has one...resulting in frustrating delays or cancellations. Hopefully you will be able to salvage the rest of the trip.

Lets see Juneau Alaska what to do???

Take the bus to Mendenhall glacier

Have Lunch at Tracys crab shack

Take the tram up Mt Roberts

Sounds like that would have been a nice day

Just a reminder to me to not place too much emphasis on the ports and/or excursions on any cruise. I'll be happier if I think about that in advance and remember that anything can get canceled at any time. Life's an adventure - there's always something else to explore, and sometimes the most memorable, meaningful or fun moments come when our original plans fall through.

These were all the things we did in Juneau without making any prior arrangements. We walked off the ship and the buses were all there waiting to go. Hopefully you found something fun to do that day. The Glacier was amazing!

You missed one, hit the Alaskan Fudge Company, and really gain the weight on the cruise everyone says you'll gain.

No port is a waste. There is always something to see . You can always take a shuttle to the glacier.

You missed one, hit the Alaskan Fudge Company, and really gain the weight on the cruise everyone says you'll gain.

Yep it was good

and since they have kids I didnt suggest the Red Dog Saloon or Alaskan Brewery

We had a great time doing these things

I know the OP is disappointed especially with the anticipation their kids had

It sucks but plenty of things to do in every port except for maybe Icy Point

Sorry about your shore excursions. Alaskan weather is unpredictable. On our Jewel cruise last year, all three Alaskan ports cancelled flighttours due to low ceilings. Mobs of angry people were trying to rebook excursions in the theater each day.

The weather can't be helped, and unfortunately the small boats that go to Tracey Arm, are typical excursion boats that contract with NCL. Mechanical problems happen. To say that Juneau was a complete waste is surprising. OP could have still gone to Mendenhall glacier by ground transportation. They could have arranged a whale watching trip. They could have gone up Mt. Roberts. The list goes on and one, but to say it was a waste does not match up to what I have learned in my three trips to Juneau.

a very long time, i did a tour in port. Half way into the tour the tour bus broke down and they was an awful smell of something burning. It was not a pleasant ride limping back to the port at a very slow speed. Mechanical issue can be very random and quick with little to no warning. Be glad the tour got canceled instead of being stuck on the side of the road in the middle of no where

When we were in Juneau last summer, we booked a fishing / whale watching excursion through a private company. On our way back to port, our captain took a phone call on his cell. One of his friend's boats was dead in the water. His radio was dead, but he did (fortunately) have cell service and was able to make a call. He had several cruise ship passengers on board his boat and they were in danger of missing their ship.

Our captain took to the phone / radio and found a boat to pick up the stranded passengers and get them back to port and another boat to tow his friend in. Problems solved, but a good lesson. Stuff happens. Better to find out about mechanical issues before you board the boat than after. The OP dodged a bullet and should be thankful for that.

We have been to Alaska three times (twice by cruise, once purely land based) and weather has impacted our plans several times. Once we were stranded in Haines with no way to fly out due to weather - pre internet / cell phone days - and had to jump on the Alaska State Ferry to make it to Juneau in time for our flight home.

Again - stuff happens. Especially in Alaska. That's why it's called the Last Frontier and honestly what makes it such a special destination. You have to be able to roll with the punches. That ferry ride from Haines to Juneau ended up being an amazing afternoon. We met so many other travelers who had also been stranded and we all bonded and had a great sail down to Juneau. It's Alaska. There are amazing things to do wherever you turn. If your first (or second) plans don't pan out, keep looking.

Alaska is most definitely an unpredictable weather state. Our daughter is a scientist up there and their field work can only be done in the summer. I can’t tell you how often she’s delayed sometimes for days on end in the Aleutian islands or somewhere crazy remote due to weather, equipment....

Then when the planes do make it in they have to stop at several places to pick up/drop off someone’s cousin’s brother’s aunt... The tales of her mishaps and resulting once in a lifetime experiences are probably some of the most interesting and funny things I get to listen to. Hopefully your day was a success despite the weather/mechanical delays and resulting change in plans.

Of course the Tracy Arm tour got cancelled moments before the ship itself was leaving Juneau. Tracy Arm is the tour that leaves Juneau and meets the ship down by the glacier. So, I can see where they might kill some time in Juneau looking forward to the afternoon excursion and then be bummed when that get's cancelled too.

But stuff happens. I've done Caribbean cruises in summer, when you wouldn't think there would be much weather risk), that missed 2 out of 3 ports completely. It happens.

Uh why? A mechanical issue can be discovered at any time INCLUDING right before an excursion is to start.