Extra tipping for a suite Butler?

LMC

If that’s the standard our Butlers have & will be very disappointed. Cruise fare for 9 nights Sky Suite $9,000= $900 extra tip. I may have chosen the wrong career[emoji6]

LOL! I totally agree! So I guess I better start saving now for the $2100 I have to tip the butler on my 12 night cruise next March when we sail in the Silhouette’s PH!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL! I totally agree! So I guess I better start saving now for the $2100 I have to tip the butler on my 12 night cruise next March when we sail in the Silhouette’s PH!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Back in the 70s a person I worked with went on a cruise and he said at the end of their cruise it was really hard to tip 10% of the cost of the cruise for tips to the crew.

Since they established the daily rate for tips I am sure that some are paying more than 10% and others not as much depending on the category but if we had to pay 20% as the going percentage is today it would be a lot more than $15/day pp.

In the auto gratuity for a suite class there is already a amount allocated per day for the butler, but same as most we usually give more for what we feel is extra or outstanding service.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We're in a suite on the Edge Dec. 6 three night cruise. We're staying on board for the Dec. 9 Inaugural Cruise, but in a different class. We assume that, at the end of the Dec. 6 cruise, the butler will take responsibility for having our things sent from one location to the other without us having to pack (so far as the closets). Guess we'll have to take care of him for the extra work on a turnaround day.

I think you are making a huge assumption and if your butler does indeed pack you up and move you tip him/her well.

Interesting that many of us are conditioned to view tipping as a mathematical formula. In the US it is 15% of the restaurant (or other service) bill but more frequently now 20%. In many parts of Europe much more like 10% or even less. On our recent cruise in AUS and NZ tipping was not customary at all. My point is that cruise passengers come from every culture. The most important thing is to tip your butler or other staff members extra if you feel they are deserving and tip whatever amount you are comfortable with that is appropriate for your individual situation. No formula will ever be the correct amount.

I think the fact that the autotip adds an extra $3 per person per day that gives a good guide. Also remember they look after 10 rooms so the autotip gives $60 a day. Anything extra should be earned by making your stay better than without the butler.

It certainly does not seem like a lot of money to me considering the long hours.

"Above and beyond" is my key to determining if the butler gets extra beyond the daily gratuity that is included. If the butler is only doing what is described as part of the "suite experience," then I usually don't tip them more. That is the minimum expectation. We're generally low maintenance. On the last cruise, the butler wasn't very good at all. Frankly, I find that the room steward always does more work and more often throws in the special touches that are important to us.

Last cruise 14 nights, SS on MClass the Butler delivered breakfast 2 mornings we requested them not to set it up as jamming it all on the small coffee table is asking for disaster. They picked up and returned 1 bag of laundry, after we reminded them that we had sent it out 2 days earlier. We were off the ship 3 days & 2 nights. Didn’t use the Butler for anything else, no extra tip

Previous cruise 15 CS on MClass (❤️ Those cabins). Butler brought DH juice and newspapers every port day at 10:00 so they were there when DH got up, set-up & cleaned up a pre dinner gathering in our Suite, delivered & set up breakfast 3 early morning port days since we had a dining table, picked up laundry & dry cleaning 3 times all were returned in 24 hours, took care of a loose button & shoe shine- extra tip.

Personally, we find we use the Butler less in a SS as they are not set up for in room dining & I’m not one who wants to eat on the veranda. Asking the Butler to drop off coffee or juice while we are still sleeping doesn’t work with the one large room. Entertaining again not as comfortable in a SS.

I agree with tipping after a service has been provided. The dilema is when to tip when you are B2B in the same suite? On our last cruise, we chose to tip at the end of the 1st cruise and again at the end of the 2nd cruise too. We recieved excellent service on both sailings, but everyone did seem more accomidatng the 2nd cruise.

I agree with tipping after a service has been provided. The dilema is when to tip when you are B2B in the same suite? On our last cruise, we chose to tip at the end of the 1st cruise and again at the end of the 2nd cruise too. We recieved excellent service on both sailings, but everyone did seem more accomidatng the 2nd cruise.

We have that issue in February/March next year. I suspect we will do as you did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The stateroom attendant is the one who actually does all the hard and dirty work, scrubbing the bathroom, dusting and vacuuming, changing the bedding and towels, emptying the trash.

The butler is more of a social host, someone who brings you food and beverages and makes appointments or plans parties for you -- the types of functions that most of us perform for house guests in our own homes.

Being a cruise ship butler is certainly a much more pleasant and easier job than being a stateroom attendant, despite the fact that some suite passengers can be quite demanding.

But other suite passengers are do-it-yourself types who hardly ask their butler for anything at all.

Yet many people will tip their butler a lot more than they tip their stateroom attendant.

Then there are even a few who claim to tip the Michael's Club Concierge, an officer who holds a salaried position.

I wonder if they tip the captain as well. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

We agree with most here. We tip only at the end of the cruise. There is absolutely no need to "bribe" any staff member. We always receive excellent service on all of our Celebrity cruises. WE tip extra at the end to the butler, the room steward, the waiter and asst waiter and sommelier. WE tip the Michael's Club Host and CC Host if we actually use them for anything. Extra tipping beyond standard gratuities is very personal. It is not expected, but I assure you, it is appreciated

On a cruise, tipping is done at the END...on the last evening. Even your prepaid tips aren't given to the staff until the cruise is over.

I love your assumption that your way is the only, ALL CAPS no less, way.

First, as I've mentioned elsewhere, because i travel solo and pre-paid gratuities are only collected for 1/2 of a solo cabin fare, I generally provide an up front tip along with an explanation that I think it's only fair that the butler/steward not "miss out" simply because I'm alone. I provide this tip when discussing my wishes for his/her services.

Second, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the use of the word "tip" has an equally long history of use for describing the giving of a small amount of money to those outside of one's employ both BEFORE and after services are rendered, with this particular use of the word, both as verb and noun, dating back to the early to mid-18th Century.

Third, date of distribution of pre-paid gratuities ought not be confused with date of awareness of who has/has not made such prepayments.

Finally, tipping is a personal matter, highly influenced by cultural,regional and familial norms. ALL CAPS ways of practicing it don't exist.

The stateroom attendant is the one who actually does all the hard and dirty work, scrubbing the bathroom, dusting and vacuuming, changing the bedding and towels, emptying the trash.

The butler is more of a social host, someone who brings you food and beverages and makes appointments or plans parties for you -- the types of functions that most of us perform for house guests in our own homes.

Being a cruise ship butler is certainly a much more pleasant and easier job than being a stateroom attendant, despite the fact that some suite passengers can be quite demanding.

But other suite passengers are do-it-yourself types who hardly ask their butler for anything at all.

Yet many people will tip their butler a lot more than they tip their stateroom attendant.

Then there are even a few who claim to tip the Michael's Club Concierge, an officer who holds a salaried position.

I wonder if they tip the captain as well. :eek:

Nope... I don't tip the Captain, but you bet I tip the Concierge. My wife has limited mobilty these days and the Concierge can make a difference.

When in Alaska this past summer, we took the Luxury Car on the the Skagway train. The concierge walked us off the ship and to the door of the train. He took the scotter back on the ship and was waiting for us when re returned.

A few years back on Royal the concierge arranged for a private car to pick us up at every port! He walked us off the ship each time and made sure our car was there.

You bet I tipped both these gentlemen.

I would also contend that the amount of grit, scrubbing etc a stewart provide should not be consider a greater value than elegant personalized butler service. Both provide valuable and different skills.

For those who choose not to tip.... that's is thier choice. Tipping is personal choice and I would never say not tipping is wrong. I appreciate hearing what other people do as a point of refernce, but not as right or wrong...

Edited by Sam.Seattle
forgot the word "not"

10% of your cruise fare should be fair and generous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10% of cruise fare is way too much. We had a suite on our Japan and China cruise with a fare for two that ran about $6000. Tipping $600 is over the top.

We didn't use our butler a lot, mainly he would come by about 4pm every day with tea and snacks. I gave him $50 as a tip and not at all ashamed of that amount.

10% of cruise fare is way too much. We had a suite on our Japan and China cruise with a fare for two that ran about $6000. Tipping $600 is over the top.

We didn't use our butler a lot, mainly he would come by about 4pm every day with tea and snacks. I gave him $50 as a tip and not at all ashamed of that amount.

Hi !

Look at post #16. The poster updated is comment to 1%. Stated the 10% was a typo.

If you take the auto tip for 2 for 14 nights in a suite the gratuities are $504 before you add anything else for additional tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In June on the Equinox we tipped at the end of the week. We were a family of four in two Sky Suites. My father is a very slow eater and going back to days of old, expects food to be served course by course without appetizer and soup arriving together. Rightfully so in my mind, but surely open for debate. ;)

Not having sailed Celebrity in a few years we were a bit unsure what to expect service wise. To ensure there were no problems (in other words to make my life less stressful), once we were seated and had ordered lunch on our first day, I excused myself and went and greeted the maitre 'd with a "handshake" of $20. I explained to her, unlike most others, we enjoy leisurely meals and do not like to feel rushed through our courses. Our service every single meal was nothing less than perfect.

I also slipped the butler Singh an extra $20 mid trip. We were leaving my father alone on the ship while the rest of the family went on a snorkel excursion. Without that I would not have been able to go on the excursion so in my life, well worth $20. :hearteyes: I pre-ordered lunch to be delivered to my father's cabin and again, wanted to ensure that my diabetic father received his meal in a timely manner. Singh was a busy guy and with the exception of that one lunch all we asked from our two suites was a tea time snack for my dad, let yourself in and leave it on the table if he is napping, and without fail daily, there was a delightful variety of offerings.

I "think" we would have received the same service without the additional gratuities, but I wanted to have that bit of insurance. In my life, well worth $40. We also still tipped Singh, two Luminae waiters, assistant, sommelier, and cabin steward at the end of our week as well. We did not tip the concierge, we did not use her services. Hopefully this was not a faux pas.