very disappointed with Equinox guest services

gatordoc85

Currently on the Equinox - was planning on posting when we returned and may still do so, as veteran cruisers (this is our 17th) on Celebrity for the first time, but an incident a couple of days ago still has me steamed, and now that we have a day at sea I thought I'd post it. This cruise is my wife and I, in our early 50s, no kids. We returned from a shore excursion around 1PM and my wife was in need of some minor attention. We went to guest services to inquire, and had the following exchange (summarized):

Me: Where can I get some basic first aid supplies?

GS: The shops don't open until 8PM.

Me: Ok, but is it possible to get some basic first aid supplies?

GS: The shops don't open until 8PM.

Me, OK, is there anywhere else?

GS: No, the shops don't open until 8PM.

Me: Ok, how about the infirmary?

GS: They don't open until 4PM.

Me: So I can't get anything before then?

GS: No, I'm sorry.

Me: Sorry is not helping. Is there anyone else I can speak to?

GS(2): Everything is closed. There's nothing we can do.

Me: So there's nowhere I can get some basic first aid supplies?

GS(2): The only thing is you can walk into town and try to find a pharmacy.

Me: Ok, can you tell me where to find one?

GS(2): No, sorry, just walk into town, it's a mile or so over the bridge and maybe you can find a pharmacy.

At this point, I was done with them, as any further exchange might have resulted in me saying some regrettable things. I didn't want my wife walking that far in case she started bleeding again, so off I went in the full heat and humidity of mid-day. A local said that there was indeed a pharmacy in town, and gave some general directions, but it was going to be quite a hike. Fortunately there was a "grab and go" shop nearby that at first seemed only to have drinks and snacks, but I thought I spied some paper towels on a shelf in the back. Sure enough, I went back there and they had basic household and personal care goods, otc medications, first aid supplies, etc. and I was able to get what we needed.

This incident has kind of soured us on Celebrity, though - we've occasionally had a minor need like this on other cruises and in each situation the staff couldn't move fast enough to assist.

I don't blame you! Guest services should at least carry a small supply of medical needs for cases like yours when the timing of shops and infirmary are not available (I think the later should be open at all hours.)

For the reasons above, I always carry a large emergency baggy when DH and I travel. Basic supplies to emergency meds!

So sorry to hear of your being treated so badly. I hope your wife is better now and is enjoying her cruise. Since you are still onboard, you must go higher up and speak to someone about this incident. Not the person at the guest services desk. Do not wait until you get home to do so. This is not the Celebrity I know and I would never accept such a blatant disregard for a passenger in need. Please don't just let it go. I hope you both enjoy the rest of your cruise despite what happened.

I know the shops can’t be open when a ship is in port.

I know the daily newsletters list the times the Medical Center is open. That’s all standard for cruise ships.

Guest Services absolutely should have Bandaids, aspirin, etc. maybe it’s a liability thing nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is crazy. I would send a written complaint to the guest services manager that you asked about getting an adhesive bandage and were denied service and that such basics should be as prevelant as the ear plugs and anti-nausea meds they hand out. If no response, go up the chain to the hotel manager.

And here comes the counter argument....

The stores were closed, the infirmary was closed, not that the onboard store has very much anyway. What was it you were expecting from guest services after they told you everything was closed? Were you expecting them to open the store, send the captain to the pharmacy for you, call the doctor back from the beach?

I've had some choice encounters at guest services too so I get it, they are sometimes less than helpful. But I cut them some slack since they do spend the entire day pretty much dealing with people complaining about stuff. But in this case I can't see what they could have possibly done for you. By the way did you even tell them what you actually needed? Basic first aid supplies is pretty vague.

Don't let one crew member spoil your cruise. It seems very strange that Guest Services was not able to help. I'll bet another crew member would have been more helpful. Would you fill out a comment card, so someone would address this with the crew?

When we cruise, I pack all sorts of first aid items and OTC meds that we very rarely use. But not having what we need could ruin the day or at least a few hours. I'd be happy to share if another passenger needed something from my mini pharmacy. You could have asked a few passenrgers if they had whatever it was that you needed. It might have saved you getting off and on the ship.

As described Celebrity has a strange and dangerous policy. I find it very unusual that they did not have someone available to assist you.

You: My wife is bleeding and she is in need of some first aid.

Guest Services: You can walk into town to get the necessary supplies to administer the first aid yourself. (If this is true the person should either be retrained or replaced)

Guest Services alternate response: Sorry that this happened to you, let me get someone to help you immediately.

I am not you should have to know the right question to ask and Celebrity should have anticipated your need from the initial question.

You might want to escalate this poor experience for the benefit of future passengers.

TFLG: And here comes the counter argument....

The stores were closed, the infirmary was closed, not that the onboard store has very much anyway. What was it you were expecting from guest services after they told you everything was closed? Were you expecting them to open the store, send the captain to the pharmacy for you, call the doctor back from the beach?

I would expect them to provide a band aid, at least.

I've had some choice encounters at guest services too so I get it, they are sometimes less than helpful. But I cut them some slack since they do spend the entire day pretty much dealing with people complaining about stuff.

Isn't that their job????

This is enlightening and scary! I would escalate written onboard complaint to head of guest services, staff captain or someone with a brain!

What if someone stays on board on a port day and has a critical med emergency, heart attack, slip and fall, bad cut, inury in the gym, sports court or pool... etc..???

There must be a nurse, emt or md on call 24 hrs? No?

No band aid, pepto, ace bandages, ice pack, in port..only while at sea?

What if ship over nights in port?

We will now pack a full first aid kit in addition to the travel size one we bring,.. Modern Luxury getting more like camping in the woods....

Yep it would have been nice if Celebrity was more responsive to your needs. They wern't. It pissed you off, but you fixed it on your own. The question now is... Will you let this negatively affect the rest of your vacation? It happened days ago. It's time to let it go and enjoy your cruise.

Ok, so everyone is freaking out because guest services didn't have a band aid. Lets hang the hotel manager and assume they also can't help someone have a MI.:rolleyes:

And I even agree that they probably should have bandaids at guest services. Seems silly they don't but hardly something we should be bothering the hotel manager for. So put it in the suggestion box and move on.

Edited by TFLG

I'm astonished that so many posters are blaming the guest (customer). How the guest services person handled the situation was irresponsible. This situation should (must) be called to the attention of the guest services manager so that anyone else in similar circumstances is not given the brushoff. Despite the hours posted for the medical staff, there is always someone on duty. Guest services should have contacted them for assistance. I hope this goes up the chain of command at Celebrity and that appropriate training is provided to staff in the likely event of future situations, perhaps involving a passenger with a more serious injury or illness.

Ok, so everyone is freaking out because guest services didn't have a band aid. Lets hang the hotel manager and assume they also can't help someone have a MI.:rolleyes:

And I even agree that they probably should have bandaids at guest services. Seems silly they don't but hardly something we should be bothering the hotel manager for. So put it in the suggestion box and move on.

I don't think it's necessary to be so sarcastic. The OP had a valid concern.

I don't think this was handled correctly. As a side bar....

Right or wrong. Correct or not. You think that some of the reaction from the Celebrity employee might be from being overly inundated by self centered drama people? I've to many instances of people working the system. Not on Celebrity, mind you.

Just a thought. Like I said not the best customer service in this instance, but at some point we will get some push back because guests feel "I paid the rate and it's all about me."

As described Celebrity has a strange and dangerous policy. I find it very unusual that they did not have someone available to assist you.

You: My wife is bleeding and she is in need of some first aid.

Guest Services: You can walk into town to get the necessary supplies to administer the first aid yourself. (If this is true the person should either be retrained or replaced)

Guest Services alternate response: Sorry that this happened to you, let me get someone to help you immediately.

I am not you should have to know the right question to ask and Celebrity should have anticipated your need from the initial question.

You might want to escalate this poor experience for the benefit of future passengers.

Nowhere in the OP post relating his conversation with Guest Services did he say his wife was bleeding. In fact according to his post she was not bleeding and he didn’t want her walking back to town in case she started bleeding again.

Maybe being more specific would have helped. I got band-aids from Guest Services 4 -5 years ago when I scraped knee.

Frankly at 1pm I would have gone looking for a cabin attendant, they seem to be able to come up with all kinds of things, some that even. Sr managers can’t come up with.

Nowhere in the OP post relating his conversation with Guest Services did he say his wife was bleeding. In fact according to his post she was not bleeding and he didn’t want her walking back to town in case she started bleeding again.

Maybe being more specific would have helped. I got band-aids from Guest Services 4 -5 years ago when I scraped knee.

Frankly at 1pm I would have gone looking for a cabin attendant, they seem to be able to come up with all kinds of things, some that even. Sr managers can’t come up with.

Good suggestion about the cabin attendant.

I don't think it's necessary to be so sarcastic. The OP had a valid concern.

No, he really didn't. He's upset because guest services didn't have a bandaid. Fair enough I think we all agree they should have bandaids. But do we really need a thread about the lack of a bandaid? Some people here seem to expect the doctor or nurse to be called to track one down. That's just not practical reality. The medical staff are on standby for actual emergencies. What if one of those happened while nurse Jackie was hunting for a band aid or at guest services delivering it? And really, we need to involve the senior crew over the lack of said bandaid….:rolleyes:

As a traveller, I always tried to be prepared for everything. This said, sometimes, something unexpected occurs. These are moments where it would be nice and really appreciated if an organisation like Celebrity could be able to offer some assistance! And reading on these boards, I know that Celebrity has been very good to support passengers experiencing a difficult situation!

Once, in Texas, I got severely stung by a Jelly fish. (Jelly fish don’t exist in my area, so it was a first encounter). Guest relations at the hotel located on the beach were well aware of the issue.... Unfortunately, 1) they did not warn us about the known presence of the fish and 2) When I came back, in severe pain, they laughingly told me what had occurred and told me that I needed meat tenderizer and rubbing alcool to make a paste and apply on the affected areas. Of course, products not available at the hotel and no support. Only option, while in pain, drive to a supermarket to buy the products.

Conclusion, alike the OP, I encountered an unexpected relatively minor issue. Was it the hotel’s fault? No. However, if the hotel had had an ointment or products to help me, they would have been heroes! They missed that opportunity and left me feel very disappointed.

In the OP’s experience, Celebrity had an opportunity to shine! ... They unfortunately also missed it! I don’t understand why regulations/or corporate policies don’t allow the opening “upon request or if needed” of a small “emergency” office or mini store for events such as this one. The absence of such an approach makes me feel a little more vulnerable and disappointed too.

Thank you OP for posting and sharing a valuable lesson learned! I will pack my bag differently in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on the same cruise right now. As pointed out, many passengers could have assisted if just asked. However, I’m very surprised that Guest Services failed to inform you about a small vending machine right outside the door to Medical Services on Deck 2. It offers aspirin. Sinus relief, upset stomach medication and I believe bandaids. Everything is .25 cents.

• Like 1