very disappointed with Equinox guest services

gatordoc85

..........But, if it is still bothering the OP, he needs to know who to contact, for a satisfactory resolution.

............. I have no sympathy for bypassing the chain of command in seeking resolution.

What, at this point, would be a satisfactory resolution? What is there to resolve?

Sorry, I just don't get it.

I'm on the fence about this one.

If someone had a heart attack or serious illness, and they responded, I'm ok.

I believe everyone should travel with basic supplies...bandaids, Neosporin, etc. - if you're not bleeding, but just have a blister, would you go to guest relations for that?

Those are the 2 extremes - you need to take some responsibility for your own welfare. And the cruise line has to be there for you if you fall extremely ill.

If you take this to an absurd conclusion - let's say everyone on board falls down, gets a blister, cuts themselves shaving - should Guest Relations have 2,000 bandaids at the ready?

The fact that GR seemed indifferent - we have encountered that, too - EVERYONE has a problem, they have to triage what is important, fair, life-threatening - and what is not.

So, I guess I'm not on the fence - bring your own bandaids (how much space do they take up???? - NONE) and this would not even be a thread.

I am on the same cruise right now. As pointed out, many passengers could have assisted if just asked. However, I’m very surprised that Guest Services failed to inform you about a small vending machine right outside the door to Medical Services on Deck 2. It offers aspirin. Sinus relief, upset stomach medication and I believe bandaids. Everything is .25 cents.

I was going to ask if Equinox did not have those machines. I was sent by Guest Services to the machines on Infinity. 25 cents per bandaid is a bit expensive, but in a pinch the machines with first aid supplies are handy. I do carry my own, but I had cut the bottom of my foot on the cruise and needed to dress the foot daily on a 28-day back-to-back. Lesson learned. Pack a box.

I would also like to add that my DH left his walking cane at our hotel in Dublin before boarding Eclipse. I do carry an extra folding cane which was in the side pocket of my backpack with a snapped support around the top of the cane. Some how the cane which had been on 4 flights, all over Nuemberg and London in my back dropped off, and the backpack arrived in our room without my cane. It never showed up in lost and found the whole. Guest Relations graciously gave my hubby a cane that was left by a previous guest and destined for the trash because it had been left more than 30 days before. I felt bad that someone else was without their cane and left our name and room number and home phone number in case someone claimed it.

Edited by Glendakayself

I would also like to add that on our Avalon River cruise, the AD came on the speaker and asked if anyone had laxatives they could give to another guest, as the ship did not have the space to carry many OTC meds. My brother-in-law had some which he donated. In fact, before long the AD came back on the speaker and said that the situation had been handled and no more laxatives were needed. I guess they had a good response.

Speaking of Nedical Centers on cruises having posted hours, years ago I cruises a week after a root canal.

After dinner one night it started hurting. By 11pm I was in my bed trying to think what to do. By 1am I wanted to die. I called the Medical Center, a woman answered and said to meet her. I put slacks and a sweatshirt over my nightgown and went down to meet her. She was wearing slacks and a pajama top. She gave me an envelope full of penicillin tablets, one of Valium, and one of Motrin 800.

Asked for $10, and all I had was my key.

Told her I’d bring it my tge am. My roommate came stumbling in after I had taken one each of the pills.

I tried to say I was awake because she was creeping around in the dark.

I felt paralyzed...I could see and hear her, but I could not move a muscle. I had never had Valium, and I guess that’s what caused it.

The pain was gone completely, and I went to sleep.

In the morning I took the $10 to her. She wore a uniform and a name tag that identified her as an LPN.

She never looked in my mouth or asked me any questions after I said root canal and pain. The stuff she gave me kept me pain free till I got to my dentist.

He put me on another antibiotic because I still had an infection, and I threw away the Valium.

The $10 went into my rescuer’s app pocket, but that was fine with me.

I thought she was an angel!

If anyone ever needs the Medical Center on a cruise, don’t wait as long as I did to call!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whoa! If a front line employee doesn’t try to help a guest because other guests have been a pain, some retraining is seriously needed.

If it was bad training I agree, easily fixed and hopefully fleet wide.

My point was (and is) that when it comes to customer service, there is a tipping point as a society where people continue to act as entitled children. And when that happens, the person on the other side of the counter isn't going to be as receptive to our needs. Because of how the majority of people act. I'm not saying all. But the percentages will tilt to the bad actors.

It's just something I think about when I watch human behavior.

Again if as the OP posted the situation was true, 'bad customer service.'

If it was bad training I agree, easily fixed and hopefully fleet wide.

My point was (and is) that when it comes to customer service, there is a tipping point as a society where people continue to act as entitled children. And when that happens, the person on the other side of the counter isn't going to be as receptive to our needs. Because of how the majority of people act. I'm not saying all. But the percentages will tilt to the bad actors.

It's just something I think about when I watch human behavior.

Again if as the OP posted the situation was true, 'bad customer service.'

This is exactly right. Everyone's issues get watered down.

Kinda like the ol saying "the customer is always right"-Except when they're wrong which is most of the time, they just feel entitled.

It is also virtually impossible to believe the dialog went as portrayed by the OP. The exchange would go back and forth that many times without ANYONE being more specific than 'basic first aid supplies'? To quote the Wallace Shawn character from Princess Bride, INCONCEIVABLE! Even the description of the problem: 'my wife was in need of some minor attention' sounds kind of strange.

Sounds crazy to me (throwing up my hands).

There are always two sides to a story, I sit on the fence til I hear both.

If my DW was injured and bleeding, I would head straight to the nearest toilet, once onbaord and grab a handfull of paper towels. Wet some to clean up the wound and the dry ones to cover the wound, then request from a crew member a wheel chair. Then head straight to the nearest bar for a stiff drink (for me as I don't like the sight of blood, even a Bloody Mary makes me a bit queasy).

I’m also curious if the OP asked for ‘basic first aid supplies’ or a ‘band aid’. I would be shocked if you went to guest services and asked for a band aid and didn’t receive one. If you asked for ‘basic first aid supplies’ the employee may have 1. Been unsure of what was wanted and 2. Not had whatever that meant in their mind. I think the OP would have been equally unhappy with a bill for an after hours medical center visit which is probably why that wasn’t offered.

If I was at work and someone approached me asking for ‘basic first aid supplies’; I would think that term unnecessarily vague and awkward. My conclusion would be that they didn’t want to tell me what the issue was, so a generally referral to a pharmacy where they could get most things would be appropriate. If someone asked me for a band aid I could scrounge up a band aid.

I even find this post unnecessarily vague and awkward which is why I would lean towards that explanation. ‘My wife needed some minor attention’ so I asked guest services where I could ‘get some basic first aid supplies’. I with that information I would have absolutely no idea of what was wrong or what you were looking for. She could need gauze, an ice pack, an ace bandage, tweezers, aspirin, a band aid; who knows.

Edited by sanger727

People on this board are always told to go to guest services if they have a question, need or concern. Now people are berating this person for going to guest services. You can’t win.

In this cases guest services dropped the ball. It happens, and this guest is correct to make someone aware of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m also curious if the OP asked for ‘basic first aid supplies’ or a ‘band aid’. I would be shocked if you went to guest services and asked for a band aid and didn’t receive one. If you asked for ‘basic first aid supplies’ the employee may have 1. Been unsure of what was wanted and 2. Not had whatever that meant in their mind. I think the OP would have been equally unhappy with a bill for an after hours medical center visit which is probably why that wasn’t offered.

It’s not guest services job to assume this person would turn down care due to cost. It is the persons job to offer what services are available and let the guest decide. In this case, the guest services offered nothing. Guest services failed here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I was at work and someone approached me asking for ‘basic first aid supplies’; I would think that term unnecessarily vague and awkward. My conclusion would be that they didn’t want to tell me what the issue was, so a generally referral to a pharmacy where they could get most things would be appropriate. If someone asked me for a band aid I could scrounge up a band aid.

I even find this post unnecessarily vague and awkward which is why I would lean towards that explanation. ‘My wife needed some minor attention’ so I asked guest services where I could ‘get some basic first aid supplies’. I with that information I would have absolutely no idea of what was wrong or what you were looking for. She could need gauze, an ice pack, an ace bandage, tweezers, aspirin, a band aid; who knows.

Sanger727, These are the same thoughts that I had when I read the OPs original post.

Of course they might not have wanted to be so specific on what they had asked for on this board. We can only respond based on the information we are given.

Either way it was guest services responsibility to give the guest options - time the medical facility opened, time the shops opened, vending machine if there was one, pharmacy in town, etc.

Edited by Jade13

I've found that some folks, in every job, draw a very firm line on their responsibilities. You can't get fired if you are doing your job? The response the OP got was "the party line".

There is always the fear of liability...if they do something to your wife that isn't right, they might be liable. I volunteer for a local public botanical garden. We have first aid kits. We are instructed to offer the contents of the first aid kits to individuals who need them, but not to touch the person in need or recommend anything. Liability concerns...but more friendly. I'm reasonably confident that guest services has a first aid kit within 25' of the counter....and there is one, if not more, in every ship working area (kitchen, etc).

I certainly would discuss the the guest services manager and perhaps the hotel director...if for no other reason than to find out if this is the official procedure or to let them know that perhaps some retraining might be necessary.

This is enlightening and scary! I would escalate written onboard complaint to head of guest services, staff captain or someone with a brain!

What if someone stays on board on a port day and has a critical med emergency, heart attack, slip and fall, bad cut, inury in the gym, sports court or pool... etc..???

There must be a nurse, emt or md on call 24 hrs? No?

No band aid, pepto, ace bandages, ice pack, in port..only while at sea?

What if ship over nights in port?

We will now pack a full first aid kit in addition to the travel size one we bring,.. Modern Luxury getting more like camping in the woods....

The on call nurse/doctor will result in a medical bill. Just speculation, but maybe there doesn't need to be someone on call the whole time the ship is in port because an ambulance can be called in an emergency?

We met a delightful elderly couple on a cruise. The husband had a blister or boil that needed attention. They went to the infirmary where they were told the fee would be about $150. The wife was appalled. She asked if she could purchase the lancet, gauze and antiseptic. They sold her supplies for @$20. She took care of the boil herself.

I am an RN and can see both sides here. People often speak at cross-purposes when trying to explain what they need. As a professional, I have often had to ask several questions to determine the problem. Also, add in a Guest Relations person who is perhaps young and not a native English speaker and you complicate the situation.

Agree that the OP should have asked to speak to a manager for resolution. The exchange sounds like an inexperienced person was at the desk. As others, we never travel anywhere w/o basic supplies.

However, I broke my foot in Barcelona the day before boarding a ship and had to hunt down a "Farmacia" to purchase an elastic ankle support. Luckily there was an English speaking worker who even measured my ankle for size. I laced up my shoe and with a borrowed cane made every excursion on our 12 voyage.

Didn't see the doc until the day after I arrived home. I had called from Rome for the appointment. Sure enough, it was broken and the Ortho could not believe I had walked on it all that time.

Didn't see the ship doc since it had happened before we boarded and the insurance wouldn't cover it.

I'm astonished that so many posters are blaming the guest (customer). How the guest services person handled the situation was irresponsible. This situation should (must) be called to the attention of the guest services manager so that anyone else in similar circumstances is not given the brushoff. Despite the hours posted for the medical staff, there is always someone on duty. Guest services should have contacted them for assistance. I hope this goes up the chain of command at Celebrity and that appropriate training is provided to staff in the likely event of future situations, perhaps involving a passenger with a more serious injury or illness.

I agree all this over a little band its not like she was having a heart attack or something was she in danger of bleeding to death if a little band aid was all she needed put apaper towel on it or something people need to start watching out for themselves.

The issue here isn't about a really about a bandaid. It's the poor treatment by guest services, whose job it is to resolve problems and keep customers happy. What if op had instead asked for a pen or paper clip and been told by GS that they didn't have one, shops are closed and op would have to purchase one on shore?

Now if I really needed a bandaid I would just ask kitchen staff who must deal with cuts all the time.