very disappointed with Equinox guest services

gatordoc85

I don't blame you! Guest services should at least carry a small supply of medical needs for cases like yours when the timing of shops and infirmary are not available (I think the later should be open at all hours.)

For the reasons above, I always carry a large emergency baggy when DH and I travel. Basic supplies to emergency meds!

We never travel anywhere in the world without a big bag of medication for just about every occasion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once, in Texas, I got severely stung by a Jelly fish. (Jelly fish don’t exist in my area, so it was a first encounter). Guest relations at the hotel located on the beach were well aware of the issue.... Unfortunately, 1) they did not warn us about the known presence of the fish and 2) When I came back, in severe pain, they laughingly told me what had occurred and told me that I needed meat tenderizer and rubbing alcool to make a paste and apply on the affected areas. Of course, products not available at the hotel and no support. Only option, while in pain, drive to a supermarket to buy the products.

Conclusion, alike the OP, I encountered an unexpected relatively minor issue. Was it the hotel’s fault? No. However, if the hotel had had an ointment or products to help me, they would have been heroes! They missed that opportunity and left me feel very disappointed.

Thank you OP for posting and sharing a valuable lesson learned! I will pack my bag differently in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess you're not a "Friends" fan. :eek:

"What if someone stays on board on a port day and has a critical med emergency, heart attack, slip and fall, bad cut, inury in the gym, sports court or pool... etc..???

There must be a nurse, emt or md on call 24 hrs? No?

No band aid, pepto, ace bandages, ice pack, in port..only while at sea?

What if ship over nights in port?"

The medical staff is available 24 hours a day for emergencies.

From what was described, this was not an emergency. The woman wasn't bleeding. The OP wanted a band aid "just in case. "

Well, I think one can see where this can go, from a request for a 'basic first aid kit' to what is or is not in it being an issue....

Soon a request for a fully filled doctors bag at GS will be expected, down the road.

After I analyzed the severity of the situation and knew that we did not bring the 'basics' of a first aid kit, I would think about going to the Spa, Gym or Acupuncturist on-board for help if GS were not forth-coming OR find an attendant to assist. As well, taking the injured with me, so those of whom I Am requesting help from, can readily see what is needed in the situation and help us.

Keeping in mind requesting to speak with the Hotel Manager would possibly get quick results too...

Alas, I trust the OP will not allow this unfortunate situation ruin the rest of the sailing and that his DW is all better and back in the mood of enjoying her cruise, as well.

bon voyage

I am on the same cruise right now. As pointed out, many passengers could have assisted if just asked. However, I’m very surprised that Guest Services failed to inform you about a small vending machine right outside the door to Medical Services on Deck 2. It offers aspirin. Sinus relief, upset stomach medication and I believe bandaids. Everything is .25 cents.

Thanks for mentioning this. This is very nice to know information!

I am on the same cruise right now. As pointed out, many passengers could have assisted if just asked. However, I’m very surprised that Guest Services failed to inform you about a small vending machine right outside the door to Medical Services on Deck 2. It offers aspirin. Sinus relief, upset stomach medication and I believe bandaids. Everything is .25 cents.

Good to know about the vending machine..thank you

.guess it was a a secret 'til now! Even guest services did not know...

Don't wait till you get home to express your concerns. Make an appointment with the guess relations manager. I have found they are very open to discussing your situation. From my past experiences this is unexpectable. Let them know so this doesn't happen to someone else.

Norma

OP -- You are still onboard, right? I'm thinking that Equinox's next sailing is on Monday -- so, you have a day or two to elevate your concerns to someone onboard, who can do something about it. Since you initial issue was with whoever was manning the GR desk -- I would start by asking to speak tot he Guest Relations manager. If you have already done that -- without satisfactory results -- you might want to request an interview with the Hotel Director, at his/her earliest convenience. Those are the folks who are in the best position to fix the problem.

Oh, and experience has taught me to always pack a small first-aid kit: Bandages, alcohol wipes, neosporin, etc. -- plus dental wax. I had a crown come loose on one cruise -- and learned that there are no dental services on board. Sometimes, it's nice to just be prepared for those small emergencies. Good luck, and try to enjoy the rest of your cruise! :cool:

PS -- apologies to Barb (algebrlvr) who already suggested going up the chain of command, back in post #6.:o

Based on the description of the interaction from the OP, Celebrity was clearly in error. It's not because they didn't have a bandaid, but because they didn't take ownership of the problem from start to finish. "Not my problem. I can't help you" is unacceptable. They can offer reasonable alternatives or seek help.

While it makes sense to carry a first aid kit, hindsight is 20/20. I work in a customer service organization, and I often rely on assistance from colleagues on the phone. When I deal with someone whose and answers seem wrong or unsatisfactory, I immediately and calmly ask to speak with their supervisor. Sometimes I insist. That typically works. I've done the same on Princess at Guest Services to resolve a problem, and I suspect it would have in this case as well.

OP -- You are still onboard, right? I'm thinking that Equinox's next sailing is on Monday -- so, you have a day or two to elevate your concerns to someone onboard, who can do something about it. Since you initial issue was with whoever was manning the GR desk -- I would start by asking to speak tot he Guest Relations manager. If you have already done that -- without satisfactory results -- you might want to request an interview with the Hotel Director, at his/her earliest convenience. Those are the folks who are in the best position to fix the problem. :o

I wouldn't waste another minute on this. What is there to be gained?

They at the very least would probably train the person at the GS desk on how to better handle the situation should it occur in the future, like pointing people to the vending machine someone else said existed.

I do think there is sometimes an English translation issue that occurs with all of their employees that guests can mistake for not caring. Asking if there are general supplies available (to purchase) is different than asking for a bandaid, for example. I ran into this recently at a hotel in Austria when I asked for a washcloth and was met with a blank stare and then a "no" after I asked again. Turns out that the word he knew was "washrag." He kept apologizing once we figured it out, but we both learned something that day.

I don't think this was handled correctly. As a side bar....

Right or wrong. Correct or not. You think that some of the reaction from the Celebrity employee might be from being overly inundated by self centered drama people? I've to many instances of people working the system. Not on Celebrity, mind you.

Just a thought. Like I said not the best customer service in this instance, but at some point we will get some push back because guests feel "I paid the rate and it's all about me."

Whoa! If a front line employee doesn’t try to help a guest because other guests have been a pain, some retraining is seriously needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Equinox in August and my son fell and cut himself. They gave him bandaids (they had all sizes). and extra bandaids to take back to the room. Perhaps, it was the employee that did not have knowledge or they changed the policy about the supplies. We were actually impressed that they had different sizes. Sorry about what happened she may have been new.

WOW I cannot believe some of these posts. Should folks travel with their own medical supplies. Sure. But many do not or they do not have what they need when something happens. But none of that is even the issue. The only issue here is that the OP did exactly the right thing which was to ask for some help at Guest Services. At the very least the Guest Services person should have offered to call the on-duty nurse (there is always at least 1 nurse on-duty plus there is always a physician on the vessel). Using the Medical Center staff might have cost the OP money, but that option should have been offered!

My DW recently suffered an emergency (major laceration and injury to one of her legs) while we were off the ship in Nha Trang, Vietnam. After applying basic first aid to control the bleeding I grabbed a taxi back to our tender port. When we got to the tender pier I asked for the person in charge, told him DW needed medical attention. He told us to board an empty tender (it had recently arrived) and the tender immediately left to take us back to the ship. When we arrived at the ship we were met at the ship's tender dock by a nurse (who had a wheelchair) who immediately took my wife to the closed medical center where the ship's physician and another nurse were waiting. And no, this did not happen on Celebrity...but it is what happened on the Golden Princess. I guess Celebrity might have told us to go to a local Vietnamese hospital? We sure hope not.

Hank

THIS is what every employee at guest services should be able to tell a passenger!

Guest services should have been more help. I can’t believe there was nothing they could do. Some here are saying there is a vending night machine on board. Why would the guest services staff send you back into town if you could find what you needed right there. I would bring this to the attention of someone on board so that staff member can receive proper training.

WOW I cannot believe some of these posts. Should folks travel with their own medical supplies. Sure. But many do not or they do not have what they need when something happens. But none of that is even the issue. The only issue here is that the OP did exactly the right thing which was to ask for some help at Guest Services. At the very least the Guest Services person should have offered to call the on-duty nurse (there is always at least 1 nurse on-duty plus there is always a physician on the vessel). Using the Medical Center staff might have cost the OP money, but that option should have been offered!

My DW recently suffered an emergency (major laceration and injury to one of her legs) while we were off the ship in Nha Trang, Vietnam. After applying basic first aid to control the bleeding I grabbed a taxi back to our tender port. When we got to the tender pier I asked for the person in charge, told him DW needed medical attention. He told us to board an empty tender (it had recently arrived) and the tender immediately left to take us back to the ship. When we arrived at the ship we were met at the ship's tender dock by a nurse (who had a wheelchair) who immediately took my wife to the closed medical center where the ship's physician and another nurse were waiting. And no, this did not happen on Celebrity...but it is what happened on the Golden Princess. I guess Celebrity might have told us to go to a local Vietnamese hospital? We sure hope not.

Hank

A little different situation than someone who MIGHT need a band aid because they MIGHT start bleeding again. I I would guess one could find hundreds of band aids just by asking fellow guests, just in case.

The customer service rep handled it poorly, but the OP made a mountain out of a molehill. Just my opinion.

Well, the OP is: a) still onboard, and b) clearly upset enough about the incident to take time out of his cruise to post about it, here. Algebralovr and I were simply pointing out ways the he could bring this to management's attention, before he disembarks. Over the years, it has been my experience that the best place to resolve a cruise issue is onboard the ship. And, yes, a similar situation might not be a big deal to you, or to me, for that matter. But, if it is still bothering the OP, he needs to know who to contact, for a satisfactory resolution.

Is the OP really a 17th time cruiser or one looking for so called sympathy. If in fact the OP was a veteran cruiser as claimed he/she would have been aware that if one doesn't get service escalate the issue up the line. Supervisor, guest relations manager, Hotel Director. All of the above would have resolved the problem quicker than it took to write this complaint and definitely quicker than going back ashore. A veteran cruiser would also know how expensive medical costs are on board and in a foreign country. I am astounded that the OP travels without even the most basic first aid kit. We like a lot of other correspondents have quite a detailed first aid kit. Finally everyone has off days and this may have been the Guest Relations person off day or it may have been a very inexperienced Guest Relations person who was following instructions. Next time the OP has an issue with any staff member don't come belly aching on travel forums but escalate the problem up the chain to get a satisfactory result. Then if a result is unobtainable use the methods of complaint open to complain to the Head Office or regional office and then if all fails complain on social media but give the company a chance to rectify the situation before bleeding ones heart on social media first. Whilst I may sympathise about not getting the instant resolution you wanted I have no sympathy for bypassing the chain of command in seeking resolution.

I would guess one could find hundreds of band aids just by asking fellow guests, just in case.

LOL Rich -- You'd be lucky to find yourself onboard a cruise ship with Dr.G (from our who's onboard social group). She travels with a full medical kit. Found that out when one of the folks on our roll-call had a dental emergency. Yep, Dr.G even had dental wax in her bag! :halo:

Hope your wife is okay, last year on equinox I needed a band aide for a blister on my foot from breaking in new sandals,unfortunately I forgot my first aide kit at home. I went to guest services and asked for a band aide. I told them I’m sure they have Because they must get paper cuts from time to time and they said they sure do. No excuse but probably employee was having a bad day:confused: