How much of a tip for Longshoreman?

inspfitz

I think extortion is a little over the top, no one is holding a gun to your head. If you treat your waiter/waitress like crap expect to have spit in your food. Same thing here. In the North East tipping is like breathing, you just do it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

And spit in your food isn’t extortion.

Mmmm strange world we live in.

Haha regardless of what they earn they are in control of YOUR bags. Do you feel lucky today? Lmao [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not really. They take the bags and put them on a cart where they are quickly mixed in with dozens of other bags. The cart is then taken by someone entirely different, into the building, where they are put into fork lift containers that are used to load them on to the ship by someone different again. So the person who takes your bag has control of them for all of about 10-20 seconds. All of which you can watch as then put them on the cart.

Haha regardless of what they earn they are in control of YOUR bags. Do you feel lucky today? Lmao [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$10 for 2 large suitcases is cheap insurance to make sure my suitcases show up in my cabin instead of watching them float by as we leave port. Right????

Nothing. It really isn't that hard to roll it up to my room. I know I have it, I know nothing got broken. I drop it off in my room, and then go enjoy my vacation. Hey, a free beer with the tip money I saved. People think their bag is going to get special attention because they tipped.

Nothing. It really isn't that hard to roll it up to my room. I know I have it, I know nothing got broken. I drop it off in my room, and then go enjoy my vacation. Hey, a free beer with the tip money I saved. People think their bag is going to get special attention because they tipped.
roflmao :')

Going on a 12 day cruise out of San Pedro with alot of luggage (thanks to the DW). How much should I tip the guys putting it on the ship?

The answer is that you never get a chance to tip them because you never see them.

Who you see is the porter who takes your luggage and brings it a few feet to where others load it into baskets which then others put it on the ship where others sort the luggage and bring the bags to your cabin.

The answer is that you never get a chance to tip them because you never see them.

Who you see is the porter who takes your luggage and brings it a few feet to where others load it into baskets which then others put it on the ship where others sort the luggage and bring the bags to your cabin.

Uhhh, in the US that 'porter' IS the (unionized, highly paid) longshoreman.

Uhhh, in the US that 'porter' IS the (unionized, highly paid) longshoreman.

I always ask this question of those who think that the "unionized, highly paid longshoreman" have such a great deal. WHY AREN'T YOU DOING THE JOB?

I always ask this question of those who think that the "unionized, highly paid longshoreman" have such a great deal. WHY AREN'T YOU DOING THE JOB?
Two of my cousins are longshoremen and sometimes even load the cruise ships in Bayonne and Manhattan. It's a tough business to break into. I'm hoping one day when sailing Anthem I see one of them.

Ever try to get one of those jobs? Not an easy task. If you say it is easy why are you not doing it .

Ever try to get one of those jobs? Not an easy task. If you say it is easy why are you not doing it .
Yeah you have to know someone and even then it could take years and might not ever happen. It's just that good a job. The ships never stop coming in.

You’ve got to be frigging kidding me!! Tip a longshoreman, they get paid very well and I mean very well paid. I work with some of them from time to time at the Port. Saturday and Sunday out of Seattle is overtime. If they work 1 hour they get paid for 8, not a bad deal. My son tried to get a longshoreman job. They had 10 opening and they had over 15,000 apply, those 10 jobs went to friends on longshoreman.

You’ve got to be frigging kidding me!! Tip a longshoreman, they get paid very well and I mean very well paid. I work with some of them from time to time at the Port. Saturday and Sunday out of Seattle is overtime. If they work 1 hour they get paid for 8, not a bad deal. My son tried to get a longshoreman job. They had 10 opening and they had over 15,000 apply, those 10 jobs went to friends on longshoreman.
Ok so don't tip, no big deal. I will because it's just how I was brought up but I can understand what you said. Yes those jobs are nearly impossible to get for an outsider. All the good manual labor jobs are kinda like that though. Longshoremen aren't the only jobs like that.

I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a nice cruise only to quibble about a tip given to the person I just handed my bags over to.

Life’s too short and I’m about to go on a cruise...so I tip them and move on!!! :D

Happy sailing everyone!!

I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a nice cruise only to quibble about a tip given to the person I just handed my bags over to.

Life’s too short and I’m about to go on a cruise...so I tip them and move on!!! :D

Happy sailing everyone!!

Now that I agree with. 10 bucks ain't gonna kill me. I think I'm gonna give 20 my next cruise.

Because of what was just mentioned. I just didn't thousands of dollars on a vacation, a cruise so what is 20 bucks. That's all, just a personal decision.

10...20 on a cruise we just spent 8 k on isn't something that will ruin my vacation. I work hard for my money and in turn it will work hard for me. The problem I have is the use of "they make good money" ya they do but; in California the more ya make the more they take.