How much of a tip for Longshoreman?

inspfitz

I did not tip for our cruise in Aug 17. I just did not think of it.

The bags made it on fine.

I tip people who go above and beyond their job. Or are in jobs that tips are a part of their wage (waiters/waitresses).

Do you tip the mailman? Do you tip the supermarket cashier? Do you tip at the fast food counter? Do you tip your doctor or dentist?

I do not tip people for doing their well paid job. Especially when they make significantly more money than I do. And I am not underpaid.

We tip the baggage handlers $10

We tip our Mail Person at Christmas

We occasionally tip the person who bags the grocery items at the supermarket

“... crashing into the birth...”? Are you concerned about some neonatal catastrophe? If you meant “berth”, the mooring line secures the ship to the berth - and certainly does not prevent any crashing into it.

Regardless, what possible relationship is there between someone handling your luggage and line handlers hauling in, and securing, lines?

I was referring to a stevadore.

As to your other note, apparently you are smarter than I am.

We tip the baggage handlers $10

We tip our Mail Person at Christmas

We occasionally tip the person who bags the grocery items at the supermarket

Baggers in many places are tipped positions. Not that I have seen baggers in my area lately.

But why didn't you tip the cashier?

And I don't tip the mail person either. I worked as a mail person, I know how much they make. :D

Try again [,] it is stevedore

should be

Try again[.] it is stevedore.

No, it should be:

Try again[.] [i ]t is stevedore.

:D

If I do not put the space in between the brackets, the form changes the I to i.

Baggers in many places are tipped positions. Not that I have seen baggers in my area lately.

But why didn't you tip the cashier?

And I don't tip the mail person either. I worked as a mail person, I know how much they make. :D

If a service person does good work I tip them regardless of how much they earn.

To a Brit this whole thread shows the insanity of the US tipping culture. It has got out of control !! Any job where a person just does what they are paid/ contracted to do, and does no go above and beyond does not need tipping.
If I have no choice to use (or not use) their services

The cost is not explicitly additional the agreed fare,

Then I only tip if service is beyond what I think has already been paid for.

In this case, already part of the fare, so I have never tipped them.

They put my bags in their trolley. Hard to see what they could do beyond this most basic part of their job.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

To a Brit this whole thread shows the insanity of the US tipping culture. It has got out of control !! Any job where a person just does what they are paid/ contracted to do, and does no go above and beyond does not need tipping.

Agreed.

There ARE positions that are typically tipped, and they have pay rates that are lower, as it is expected they will be tipped and that will increase their pay to a reasonable level. I tip those people.

But for someone making more money than I do (and I am NOT in a low paying position), who take a couple of bags and tosses them into a cart. Nope.

If a service person does good work I tip them regardless of how much they earn.

Do you tip your doctor? Dentist? Nurses?

Cashiers at stores?

And the longshoremen are doing good work HOW? Taking your bag and tossing it into a cart?

Do track down the personnel on the ship how DELIVER your luggage and tip them?

Yep crazy, if you go above and beyond you get a tip. If you just do your job (sometimes poorly) don’t expect a tip.

Do you tip your doctor? Dentist? Nurses?

Cashiers at stores?

And the longshoremen are doing good work HOW? Taking your bag and tossing it into a cart?

Do track down the personnel on the ship how DELIVER your luggage and tip them?

I am an author .I write satire . You should try it ,me thinks you might find a second career.

I always hand over a $5 bill to someone working hard to make my day just a little bit better. I'm not naive to think that these workers are under-paid, but I'm very glad that there are still a few blue collar jobs around that provide a middle class living for someone willing to work, even though they might have a limited education.

Yes, a strong union set up their ability to cash in on a system that would otherwise hire the lowest bidder, but good for them!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

I always hand over a $5 bill to someone working hard to make my day just a little bit better. I'm not naive to think that these workers are under-paid, but I'm very glad that there are still a few blue collar jobs around that provide a middle class living for someone willing to work, even though they might have a limited education.

Yes, a strong union set up their ability to cash in on a system that would otherwise hire the lowest bidder, but good for them!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Boy do I agree with this. Very, very well said.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ok so don't tip, no big deal. I will because it's just how I was brought up but I can understand what you said. Yes those jobs are nearly impossible to get for an outsider. All the good manual labor jobs are kinda like that though. Longshoremen aren't the only jobs like that.

Imagine tha t, Nepotism. :EEKs: oH my goodness. Oh that this is the only place in our business, social, world that nepotism exists. Well, gee , take a a look around you. IN THIS WORLD, IT IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT you know but Very often Who you know. I seriously doubt this concept comes as a surprise to anyone.[

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Everyone here surely has a friend, relative or casual acquanitance who benefitted hugely due to whom they know.

So why such a low opinion of those who had a 'connection to get work as a stevedore? Good for them. Thry work hard ,, they work!! They don't sit home on their couch

Edited by sail7seas