Just a Heads Up for Those Interested in Global Entry

mnocket

We're taking our son on a TA next April. Just applied to get him Global Entry. The first interview appointment in Denver was Feb 2019. I thought we had plenty of time. Glad we started early. I'm sure we'll be able to advance that date considerably by checking for dates that open up due to cancellations, but thought I'd give a heads up to others.

We're taking our son on a TA next April. Just applied to get him Global Entry. The first interview appointment in Denver was Feb 2019. I thought we had plenty of time. Glad we started early. I'm sure we'll be able to advance that date considerably by checking for dates that open up due to cancellations, but thought I'd give a heads up to others.

Thank you! We've just started talking about getting Global Entry and this is good information to have.

Best wishes!

Most processing centers allow foe walk ins on a limited basis without an appointment. Also if you check appointments regularly you will see close in appointments from cancellations.

You may want to look into mobile passport. It is free and is as quick as Global Entry with much less work. Negative is you don’t get Pre.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a few places in San Diego by the border with long wait times for appts then found out the Airport ( close to our home) opened a global entry office with no wait times after my husband drove 125 miles to another office to speed up the process. Check around for other offices. Check your airport.

If anyone has a long wait for an interview at your nearby home airport, the wait may be shorter at other locations, as posters here have mentioned. Worth investigating if you have any trips planned that pass to/from or through other airports with G.E. interview centers. Schedule a long connection time and book a G.E. appointment during the layover. Worked for me.

Our original wait time (Los Angeles) was 4 months, but by checking the site multiple times daily for cancellations, we managed to cut it down to less than a weeks wait. It also helped to choose the Long Beach office, rather than going to LAX. :)

Kind of like checking for rate drops before final payment. ;)

I have had Global Entry for about 2 years now and just love it for international travel and I just added Mobile Passport so I have a choice especially if the GE kiosks are down. But most importantly for cruises out of my home port as they just added (September 18) Port of Miami to the Mobile Passport program. Looking forward to trying it next month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have had Global Entry for about 2 years now and just love it for international travel and I just added Mobile Passport so I have a choice especially if the GE kiosks are down. But most importantly for cruises out of my home port as they just added (September 18) Port of Miami to the Mobile Passport program. Looking forward to trying it next month.

Good to see it in Miami. (Even though we prefer to avoid Miami.) They have it in Ft. Lauderdale (breezed through last March), but don't have it in Seattle airport or cruise port, or Port Canaveral. It was of no value entering USA by train (Rocky Mountaineer) from Vancouver, either. I suppose it is coming in gradually. Hope to get more value before it expires!

We live in Denver and had to drive to Albuquerque to get ours. Drove in on a Sunday. Had a nice dinner and then got up the next morning for our 9AM appointment. Hit the road and were home late afternoon.

It looks like Denver is worse than most. The wait was 4+ months 2 years ago when my wife and I got Global Entry.

When we applied a few years ago, We were limited to either Boston at Logan airport or Providence/Warwick RI each with a 4+ month wait time for the interview. PVD was a few weeks earlier, and it was done at a property off the airport foot print. BOS was done at the airport. Knowing the cost of parking at BOS, driving to PVD was an easy decision.

The building site was very secure and a sign was posted on the door, NO pocketbooks, no bags, etc.The interview was relatively easy, and yes, I did have to explain my trip to Lichtenstein, but getting my slightly arthritic fingers to sit flat on the glass screen for the biometric scan was a challenge. By the time we got home, logging into the TSA Global Entry site, it indicated we were each approved. Within the week, we had our ID cards [i then entered the numbers into our accounts for both domestic and foreign travel.] and have been enjoying the expedited entry through terminal E[international arrival] at Logan.

Darcy

After provisional approval we had to wait only 3 weeks for appointment times in Philadelphia. I guess it varies widely by location. The wait time was also about the same if we went to NY.

In Philadelphia you can even walk in without an actual appointment but you are taking a chance for a long wait.

When we returned to Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale in December of last year the Mobile Passport App wasn't working and we had to wait almost an hour. That made us opt for GE! We should have just done that in the first place instead of TSA Pre Check since GE includes both! Oh well, live and learn.:)

Most processing centers allow foe walk ins on a limited basis without an appointment. Also if you check appointments regularly you will see close in appointments from cancellations.

You may want to look into mobile passport. It is free and is as quick as Global Entry with much less work. Negative is you don’t get Pre.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jim, ssh, we don't want too many people using it, then the lines will get too long. I agree with you.

We live in Tennessee and the location for GE was Nashville International. It was a long wait for an appointment as they were open only one or two days per week. It was also a site in the freight area away from the terminal, which meant for easy access and parking. They apparently have agents working several airports to cut down on manpower. I agree with the poster who said we don't want too many people having global entry, anyway. That would make for lines at the terminals.

Here's a hint for using GE: The last time we used it I had a problem getting the fingerprint scan to work. The agent said a trick is to wipe your fingers on your forehead beforehand to get them a bit slick as that makes it easier for the screen to pick up the image.