I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

On 10/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, John&LaLa said:

I have never seen a dog in the SL of Oasis, Allure, or Harmony.  I have seen them in the DL.

Probably have 100 days on those 3 ships

Allure has dog that lives onboard,  Walmart now blocking non-service dogs according to paper,

61ED4B69-6865-4EF2-9098-C6168CA2A7AD.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And those would be?  I read of no exceptions in the press release that Royal issued.

Certain people that are allowed to bring their pets on now will still be allowed to do so. They will be permanently grandfathered in. 

Notice I said certain people. 

• Haha 1

We were on the 1/6/19 sailing on Harmony and saw my first ever dog at sea!  We were at Johnny Rockets and not it wasn't a hot dog, lol.  There were two guys with a large golden retriever or some sort of dog, it looked like it said service animal or something on the leash.  They were walking it in the boardwalk area by the carousel.  Now my first thought was where does it go potty??     I saw it on the last day, my husband saw it earlier on in the week.  Theres a first time for everything.

24 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Now my first thought was where does it go potty??    

They will have a large box, or in this case on Disney, a large kiddie pool full of mulch or grass.  Its generally put on a deck in  place where there isnt much foot traffic. Its cleaned out daily I believe.   

SHPotty-1.jpg

Edited by ryano

On 10/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, Vlad the Impaler said:

Funny part about that is (in the US anyway) you're not allowed to ask for papers. So even if there was a such thing as valid documentation, it wouldn't do any good to have. 

Not true - partially true.  I have a letter for my dog and last time we flew (Spirit Air) I was absolutely asked for it.  Furthermore - I was given a hard time bc the letter was not "current".  I was surprised at that because I am pretty sure that a diagnosis of Autism is not one that goes away.  However, I did get my son's treating psychologist on the phone and verified that the letter was still valid.  I was surprised at the amount of trouble the airline made me go through, reached out to customer service and was told that their policy is a current letter confirming the animal is an emotional support animal.  BTW, we have a small hot dog which was sitting in an airline approved carrier at the time of checking in.  

Disclosure:

I did not read the entire thread nor do I want to get into the discussion on this.  I would not and do not bring the dog on a cruise - I would chose a different vacation type if the vacation caused enough anxiety for my son to not enjoy it without the dog.  Flying is sometimes unavoidable and is therefore different, but yeah, lets not judge anyone unless we walked a mile in their shoes.  Life has a funny way to pay us back for being judgy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZandZ said:

Not true - partially true.  I have a letter for my dog and last time we flew (Spirit Air) I was absolutely asked for it.  Furthermore - I was given a hard time bc the letter was not "current".  I was surprised at that because I am pretty sure that a diagnosis of Autism is not one that goes away.  However, I did get my son's treating psychologist on the phone and verified that the letter was still valid.  I was surprised at the amount of trouble the airline made me go through, reached out to customer service and was told that their policy is a current letter confirming the animal is an emotional support animal.  BTW, we have a small hot dog which was sitting in an airline approved carrier at the time of checking in.  

Disclosure:

I did not read the entire thread nor do I want to get into the discussion on this.  I would not and do not bring the dog on a cruise - I would chose a different vacation type if the vacation caused enough anxiety for my son to not enjoy it without the dog.  Flying is sometimes unavoidable and is therefore different, but yeah, lets not judge anyone unless we walked a mile in their shoes.  Life has a funny way to pay us back for being judgy.

The OP was talking about the ADA and service dogs.  There is no registration or certification and its against the ADA to ask for such but that ONLY applies to service dogs 🙂   Since emotional support dogs are not covered by the ADA, airlines can ask for whatever they want to and even still deny boarding.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ryano said:

The OP was talking about the ADA and service dogs.  There is no registration or certification and its against the ADA to ask for such but that ONLY applies to service dogs 🙂   Since emotional support dogs are not covered by the ADA, airlines can ask for whatever they want to and even still deny boarding.  

Yes, agreed - maybe i misread.  I assumed - since the dog was sitting on a chair - that it def was not a service animal.  My bad!

10 hours ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

The simple fix that would put an end to all of this would be for RCCL to mandate that any service pet wear a service vest while in public areas of the ship.  But anyone can buy a "service vest" on Amazon. 

I still think that any owner bringing a service animal on board should require a medical clearance form but again this is only MY opinion (I don't want to start that debate again).

Just like anyone can buy a service vest on Amazon, anyone can make a medical clearance form on their computer.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruzin' Daddy said:

Not everyone is an animal lover and shouldn’t have to be subjected to being around an animal. “No, I do not want to pet your dog...yuck!”

I understand your comment.  I have been sailing for a few years now and on our last cruise there was a woman who had a dog with her, but by every indication I saw it truly was a service animal, in fact returning from a show one night on deck 4 walking outside I saw her and her dog sprinting for the relive area.  I also witnessed her allowing a child who ask to pet her dog, but again a well behaved and Obviously, to me at least trained dog.  I have no problem with this, i do take exception to some of the things i have seen that are to me clearly violations of the INTENT of these service dog laws.  As much as I love my 4 legged creature, she stays home when we cruise, or maybe I should say with our granddaughter.  I thank god I do not have a reason to need a service animal, but try not to begrudge those that Truly do. Its the offenders that I take offense with.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, John Reid said:

Even certified service dogs are not allowed in chairs or in laps. On a leash on the floor or carried while walking. I made a suggestion once before and got negative feedback. I'll make it again. The ONLY way to stop this entitled charade is to make the reaction to it more of a problem than declining passage to an owner. Stand up in dining and LOUDLY protest. Refuse to be seated anywhere within eyesight of a pet. Get others and flood customer service with the same com[plaint. Schedule an appointment with the hotel director and write down the response for future reference. Remember, the ship may not be able to ask for certification, but passengers can. And there are those, and rightfully so, who feel it would embarrassing to an an actual service dog owner. Don't worry, they are easy to recognize. Not in strollers, not dressed up, not defecating in public places, not barking, not seen alone with different adults, and not being available to be pet. Protest. Be more of a pain to RCCI than they are.

Actually, they can ask two questions. This is from the ADA guidelines:   In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?Jul 20, 2015

I have never felt the need to respond to anything on here before, but goodness, what a callous thread.

For those that want to be the pet police - why? How is something so trivial truly impacting you?  There just seems to be a lot of holier than thou, animal haters on this board.

I have always felt people that are anti pet lack empathy/compassion.

For the record - I think it is irresponsible to bring a pet on a cruise. I feel like they would just be nervous and unhappy. But the pitchfork mentality by all the "Karens" in this thread is terrible. Loudly call people out and shame them? Wow. I would never want to interact with you if that's how you handle yourself (on vacation, no less).

To the person that said you went holiday shopping and saw a couple with their dog in a mall. How was that distasteful? I love seeing people out and about with their pets - shows that they care.

Worst of all, many of you seem to be older and criticizing the "snowflake/millenial" generation,  but have no problem posting strangers photos on a public forum? A. It is truly a heinous, invasive violation of someone's privacy. Whether you agree with their life choices or not. B. If caught, you can be persecuted.

Also, I have no dog (pun intended) in this fight - but again criticizing people that have emotional therapy animals.. have you seen suicide rates? I'm sure you all are the same people that are heartbroken when someone dies of suicide and comment on how tragic it is. If an animal is a calming presence for someone that is dealing with anxiety or BPD or another mental illness that you can not visually see, even if you don't believe in it's effectiveness, what's it to you? 

Basically, all you 'shame them/speak to the manager' people - gain a soul. I'm not saying you have to agree and again I do not think it is responsible to bring pets on a ship, but chances are your partner's mouth or that guard rail you touched or a toilet seat have more germs than an interaction with a dog. Put that into perspective. 

Edited to add: it would be one thing if this were a completely out of hand problem. I do not agree with people masquerading their dogs as service animals, but if they don't claim it to be and the ship has allowed them, so be it. But 4 out of upwards of 3000 guests is the vast minority because the rest of us are sensible not to bring pets on board. But for how minor it is in the scheme of things in life, why be so negative?

Edited by Zee890
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zee890 said:

I have never felt the need to respond to anything on here before, but goodness, what a callous thread.

For those that want to be the pet police - why? How is something so trivial truly impacting you?  There just seems to be a lot of holier than thou, animal haters on this board.

For the record - I think it is irresponsible to bring a pet on a cruise. I feel like they would just be nervous and unhappy. But the pitchfork mentality by all the "Karens" in this thread is terrible. Loudly call people out and shame them? Wow. I would never want to interact with you if that's how you handle yourself (on vacation, no less).

To the person that said you went holiday shopping and saw a couple with their dog in a mall. How was that distasteful? I love seeing people out and about with their pets - shows that they care.

Worst of all, many of you seem to be older and criticizing the "snowflake/millenial" generation,  but have no problem posting strangers photos on a public forum? A. It is truly a heinous, invasive violation of someone's privacy. Whether you agree with their life choices or not. B. If caught, you can be persecuted.

Also, I have no dog (pun intended) in this fight - but again criticizing people that have emotional therapy animals.. have you seen suicide rates? I'm sure you all are the same people that are heartbroken when someone dies of suicide and comment on how tragic it is. If an animal is a calming presence for someone that is dealing with anxiety or BPD or another mental illness that you can not visually see, even if you don't believe in it's effectiveness, what's it to you? 

Basically, all you 'shame them/speak to the manager' people - gain a soul. I'm not saying you have to agree and again I do not think it is responsible to bring pets on a ship, but chances are your partner's mouth or that guard rail you touched or a toilet seat have more germs than an interaction with a dog. Put that into perspective. 

Edited to add: it would be one thing if this were a completely out of hand problem. I do not agree with people masquerading their dogs as service animals, but if they don't claim it to be and the ship has allowed them, so be it. But 4 out of upwards of 3000 guests is the vast minority because the rest of us are sensible not to bring pets on board. But for how minor it is in the scheme of things in life, why be so negative?

Thank you. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Retired LEO said:

With certain exceptions 

Serious question. 

Are you saying that certain select  passengers will not be subject the rules?  We cruise often,  sometimes  on the same ship,  and do see a few regular passengers with dogs. 

Thanks,

M

.For those that want to be the pet police - why? How is something so trivial truly impacting you?  

How is this 'impacting" us?

Easy:

1. Dog Allergies...a ship, even Oasis Class, is a fairly closed environment.  If one is allergic to pets, how is one supposed to deal with someone else's dog in an enclosed environment? 

2. Regardless of how well the crew cleans a cabin, if a dog soils the carpet, even if the owners quickly clean it up, it can stain, perhaps leave traces, or at the very least, makes a lot of additional work for the crew.  Traces of dog hair can upset the allergies, and incomplete cleaning of soiled carpeting leave stains or potential smell.  

3.  There are cases on here of a dog going to the bathroom in a public space and the owner walking away.  Of course that affects me.  I don't want to have to avoid dog droppings on my cruise.

4. There are cases of on here of dogs being left in the cabin during in port times and yelping.  I don't want my afternoon quiet time interrupted by a dog in a cabin or on a balcony barking incessantly.

5. There are cases in here of dogs sitting in chairs in the Windjammer eating off the table.  Yes, that does affect people around them and those following.

6. There is the need for a "doggie relief box."  This box is usually on the Promenade Deck. I like to walk the Promenade deck, others run on it.  I don't want to pass a smelly soiled doggie litter box during my exercise routine.

I'm sure I can come up with lots of ways that a pet at sea affects me.  But you get the point.  I love dogs too.  But my wife has become allergic to them. That alone is a good enough reason why a dog should not be on a cruise ship. Clearly, we all understand the real Service Dogs.  It's the fake ones that everyone is concerned about. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Serious question. 

Are you saying that certain select  passengers will not be subject the rules?  We cruise often,  sometimes  on the same ship,  and do see a few regular passengers with dogs. 

Thanks,

M

Yes those certain passengers will be exempt 

• Like 1

Wow.  First off you're assuming people that don't want to see an animal on a cruise automatically are "animal haters" and lack empathy/compassion.  I guarantee most of the people that are against non service animals on cruises have pets at home and love animals.  To assume someone that spent thousands on a cruise doesn't want to have to deal with a "pet" on a cruise but can still love dogs isn't a stretch.  Now imagine if everyone that starts to take a cruise decides they want to bring their dog along?  Imagine the chaos of thousands of dogs on a boat?  How about we start to bring all our pets?  Maybe RCCL can start providing litter boxes for cats in the rooms?  This is the reason why businesses make rules about this.  Why do you think major hotel chains don't allow pets?  This is why places like Walmart, Lowes and RCCL are specifying polices to deal with this.  My kids can't bring peanut butter to school anymore because ONE kid in the school is allergic to peanuts.  So imagine staying in a room that a dog/cat had stayed in and suddenly your cruise is ruined because your allergies kick in.

Why do you think they don't allow children under 16 into the Solarium on ships?  Should I claim that my daughter gives me "emotional" support and just bring her in anyhow? 

It was me that mentioned seeing people strolling through the mall with their pet and you might think it's "great" because these people love their animal but I also had to deal with my 4 year old daughter being afraid of this dog as we were walking into Target (which is attached to our mall).  The dog was on a leash but the owner was busy talking to someone else and didn't see their dog put it's nose right into my daughters face (they were eye level with each other).  I finally said to the woman, "please get your dog away from my daughter it's scaring her."  Now this was a dog with no vest, wagging it's tail and didn't look trained at all.  I'm sorry but leave fluffy at home.

I'm not sure when in society this became the norm but when I grew up you didn't bring dogs into public places unless they were a service animal that was well trained. 

As far as "shaming" people on a cruise or in public I couldn't care less about their "pet".   The only time I would ever say something to one of these owners is when their pet starts to invade my person space or the space of my family like the dog at the mall did to my daughter.  If I drop $6K on a cruise the last thing I want is to hear fluffy barking all night.

Does this mean I hate pets?  Absolutely not, I love dogs (not a cat person).

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Retired LEO said:

Yes those certain passengers will be exempt 

Thanks for the clarification.  So I guess all passengers are not created equal?    Must be nice to have so much clout!  Of course I am not talking about a "standard" service  animal that is providing  a visible service to the patron.  And I know that  all disabilities are not visible. I have seem many service dogs on ships and am so happy that the passenger has an opportunity to  take a cruise.   But I guess we are not talking about this type if service dog.  

Perhaps the threat of a nasty  law  suite, or a sensationalized media headline  makes it possible  for  passengers to get their way.   

M

One can generally tell a true service dog's behavior when compared to a yippy and snarly dressed up lap dog whose owner's sense of entitlement lets them rationalize gaming the system and dragging their pet along on a cruise.

Yippy lap dogs detreact from true service dogs and their mission to assist and support their owners.  Yippy lap dogs do not belong sitting at the table in the MDR or buffet.

41 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks for the clarification.  So I guess all passengers are not created equal?    Must be nice to have so much clout!  Of course I am not talking about a "standard" service  animal that is providing  a visible service to the patron.  And I know that  all disabilities are not visible. I have seem many service dogs on ships and am so happy that the passenger has an opportunity to  take a cruise.   But I guess we are not talking about this type if service dog.  

Perhaps the threat of a nasty  law  suite, or a sensationalized media headline  makes it possible  for  passengers to get their way.   

M

That and entitlement  because of who they are and therefore rules do not apply to them.

There will always be those that bring little fluffy and nothing will be done about it. 

• Like 2