Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

So will TAPATALK and Cruise Critic eventually be cruise buddies again, or have they forever parted waves 🌊😏🤣

 

i too enjoyed accessing CC via Tapatalk along with other forums in a single app, so I do hope there is a solution out on the horizon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, Jersey42 said:

The forum change happened while I was on a cruise with minimal access to the internet. I appreciate some of the advice others have given regarding the mobile version of the new CC boards, but Tapatalk was still a much better solution for me.  The big one is I participate in a variety of other forums that all support Tapatalk, so I had one place to see updated posts and a common interface among all of the forums.  I also liked the simple, clean and fast interface.  I could review so many more posts with Tapatalk than any of the web based interfaces.  Less graphics and formatting code was also helpful when using slow internet connections such as a lot of cruise ship internet and cell data.  That said, I will give the mobile site a try and set up links to a couple of forums.  We will see what happens . . .

After playing with the mobile version for a few days, Tapatalk was a much better choice for my needs.  Please bring it back.  I would even be willing to pay something additional to access the CC forums through Tapatalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, please, pretty please reactivate Tapatalk. Multiple mobile-friendly in one convenient app.  I guess only declining the usage numbers would have them go back. 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And when that App goes live, some of the Tapatalk crowd will probably be unhappy because they are using TT for other forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And when that App goes live, some of the Tapatalk crowd will probably be unhappy because they are using TT for other forums.

Someone is ALWAYS going to be unhappy. That's the way things go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Someone is ALWAYS going to be unhappy. That's the way things go.

 

Exactly. Every time CC has changed its software, lots of CCers have been unhappy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A data point on Tapatalk and compatibility with the forum software. Another forum I am a member of Amtrak Unlimited, switched to the same Inivision software as Cruise Critic this week. Tapatalk is working on Amtrak Unlimited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old CC app was built on Tapatalk's White Label software. If you ever had both on your phone and compared them, it's pretty apparent. The new forum software does indeed have a Tapatalk plugin that runs on it.  Not only that, for $10/month, a forum can rebrand Tapatalk and serve their own ads.  I think that CC has a lot on its plate now, so I don't know when Tapatalk support will come back, if at all. I was perusing the IPBoard/Invision Community support site and it appears that the Tapatalk plugin is the only game in town for the mobile/app.

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, POA1 said:

The old CC app was built on Tapatalk's White Label software. If you ever had both on your phone and compared them, it's pretty apparent. The new forum software does indeed have a Tapatalk plugin that runs on it.  Not only that, for $10/month, a forum can rebrand Tapatalk and serve their own ads.  I think that CC has a lot on its plate now, so I don't know when Tapatalk support will come back, if at all. I was perusing the IPBoard/Invision Community support site and it appears that the Tapatalk plugin is the only game in town for the mobile/app.

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile

 

How many times must a it be pointed out that CC has stated on multiple occasions that its site has a compatibility issue with Tapatalk? It really doesn't matter that there is a plugin that works with other Invision sites. It doesn't work with CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, broberts said:

 

How many times must a it be pointed out that CC has stated on multiple occasions that its site has a compatibility issue with Tapatalk? It really doesn't matter that there is a plugin that works with other Invision sites. It doesn't work with CC.

Ah, but, see, that makes sense.

 

If it's not the answer someone wants to hear, they can't absorb it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, broberts said:

 

How many times must a it be pointed out that CC has stated on multiple occasions that its site has a compatibility issue with Tapatalk? It really doesn't matter that there is a plugin that works with other Invision sites. It doesn't work with CC.

 

I do not recall CC saying there was a compatability issue with Tapatalk, just a compatability problem with the old CC app.

Apologies in advance if I am incorrect about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 9:30 AM, flossie009 said:

 

I do not recall CC saying there was a compatability issue with Tapatalk, just a compatability problem with the old CC app.

Apologies in advance if I am incorrect about that.

 

You are correct. The old CC app was built using the white label version of Tapatalk. The app was built from a version that would have been incompatible with the current version of Invision Community / IPBoard. Essentially, the old CC was running the Tapatalk plugin for its version of vBulletin. That was fine for the old version of CC, the CC app, and the native Tapatalk app. IIRC, Laura said that they did not plan to install the Tapatalk plugin because the Invision software works fine with mobile browsers. 

 

I don't recall reading anything that said that CC tested the IPBoard plugin and found that it doesn't work with the new Cruise Critic. Given the problems they've had post-migration, I can see why it hasn't been a priority. 

 

There are a couple of posters who insist that they know there's a compatibility issue between the new CC and the Tapatalk plugin for IPBoard v4. 2/4.3, but I haven't seen anything reported by the moderators that says that specifically. I've looked for that specific information about compatibility of Cruise Critic running Invision Community v4.3 and Tapatalk's IPBoard v4. 2/4.3 plugin, but I haven't seen it. I can only explain it so many times. After that, it's like trying to teach a cat to play the piano. It wastes your time, and it annoys the cat. 

 

If CC is going to work on an actual app and not just a browser shortcut, they're very limited in terms of the development environments they can use. The vast majority of the white label apps built for IPBoard are built on Tapatalk white label. From reading the Invision support boards, I know of two different developers who are trying to build white label IPBoard SDKs, but both are still trying to raise funding and the software development kits are nowhere to be found. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, POA1 said:

I don't recall reading anything that said that CC tested the IPBoard plugin and found that it doesn't work with the new Cruise Critic. Given the problems they've had post-migration, I can see why it hasn't been a priority.

Way back when the new software had come online and people were complaining about Tapatalk not working, I had jumped on some Invision boards and found a statement that Tapatalk didn't work with Invision.  I posted about that, and Jenn said I was right (or correct, or that's the case, or something like that).  So that was what I (and some others) went with.

 

Until you (or someone else, I don't remember) said I had outdated information and Invision had "fixed" whatever the issue was I had read about.   There has been no confirmation/denial from anyone from CC that I know about since then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Until you (or someone else, I don't remember) said I had outdated information and Invision had "fixed" whatever the issue was I had read about.   There has been no confirmation/denial from anyone from CC that I know about since then. 

 

It was me. While I am getting much more used to the mobile web version, I still prefer the app version where available. If nothing else, it would have allowed people to post during yesterday's jQuery connect problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were two separate apps. The Tapatalk app and then a couple years later a Cruise Critic app was introduced. 

Edited by Got2Cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

There were two separate apps. The Tapatalk app and the a couple years later a Cruise Critic app was introduced. 

 

What will it take to convince people?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, broberts said:

 

What will it take to convince people?

 

 

 

You won't convince me. I am a member of a forum that switched to the same forum software as Cruise Critic, they switched last week, and both Tapatalk and their custom app are working. They didn't work all of one day......So the apps can work if the proper plug in is installed. Of course if the proper plug ins are not installed there won't be compatibility. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, broberts said:

 

What will it take to convince people?

 

 

Well, you still haven't convinced me, as everything you quote is about the old CC App and its lack of compatibility with the new software that CC have chosen.

It appears that the new CC site could be accessed via Tapatalk if CC management so wished ..... which at present they do not appear to see as a priority, even though their customers would like to see this facility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

 

Well, you still haven't convinced me, as everything you quote is about the old CC App and its lack of compatibility with the new software that CC have chosen.

It appears that the new CC site could be accessed via Tapatalk if CC management so wished ..... which at present they do not appear to see as a priority, even though their customers would like to see this facility.

 

Is reading so difficult?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, broberts said:

 

Is reading so difficult?

 

 

Sigh. I’m not certain why you are taking it upon yourself to do damage control for the Cruise Critic Corporation. You’ve been trying to convince us on more than one thread that the app is not needed and anyway it’s incompatable with the new software. If some of us want to continue to voice our opinion concerning the dissatisfaction over the lack of an app it really is not your place as a fellow poster to inform us that we lack reading ability and our opinion is wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Sigh. I’m not certain why you are taking it upon yourself to do damage control for the Cruise Critic Corporation. You’ve been trying to convince us on more than one thread that the app is not needed and anyway it’s incompatable with the new software. If some of us want to continue to voice our opinion concerning the dissatisfaction over the lack of an app it really is not your place as a fellow poster to inform us that we lack reading ability and our opinion is wrong. 

 

I'm not trying to convince you right now of anything other than the fact that CC has said Tapatalk and its own app are not compatible with the new site. 

 

At this point I simply ignore the rants against the new website. But I take exception to the persistent claim that CC has a) not indicated Tapatalk is incompatible with the current website and b) CC is not being truthful when it claims this incompatibility. Notice the incongruity of claims. Made in some cases by the same poster.

 

I see nothing wrong or out of place with pointing out what I perceive to be a misrepresentation.

 

Nor do I see why it is incumbent on me to cease and desist because my opinion differs from other posters. Surely we are all equally free to post our opinions?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...