Moderno - would this be too strange to do

buggins0402

I am in the process of making restaurant reservations for our cruise on the Sun.  I would like to try Moderno, but DH is pretty much a pescatarian/vegetarian.  At times the menu there has included a cod dish, others no...it seems to be sailing dependent. I know he would enjoy some things on the salad bar (as long as they are low fat). If they don’t serve a seafood dish in Moderno,  could he make a quick run to the buffet for a veggie or fish entree they are serving there and bring it back to the table?  It seems the two venues are in close proximity. 

The salad bar at Moderno is a vegan dream - I am sure a pescatarian would be just as happy.

Moderno is one of my favorite specialty restaurants and I don't eat meat or dairy. Worth every penny, even if you are not eating any meat. 

As for hunting down food from another restaurant, with the exception of the kid's meals, I do think it would be an odd request. If he's still hungry after dinner...why not just head over to the buffet?

Amy

We found there to be a big difference in the salad bar offerings between Moderno on a mega-ship (Escape) and Moderno on a smaller ship (Dawn). We had a vegetarian eating with us on the Escape, but we have decided not to do Moderno on our next trip on the Dawn because the selections on the salad bar were lacking compared to the Escape. It is still a great salad bar, but we wouldn't consider it worth the specialty credit for her on the Dawn.

2 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

I am in the process of making restaurant reservations for our cruise on the Sun.  I would like to try Moderno, but DH is pretty much a pescatarian/vegetarian.  At times the menu there has included a cod dish, others no...it seems to be sailing dependent. I know he would enjoy some things on the salad bar (as long as they are low fat). If they don’t serve a seafood dish in Moderno,  could he make a quick run to the buffet for a veggie or fish entree they are serving there and bring it back to the table?  It seems the two venues are in close proximity. 

The Moderno sides are all meatless too, I think. The plantains, black beans, rice and cheesy rolls. 

Personally, I would skip Moderno. We’ve tried it several times on different ships, and the meats have always been tough and dry. I don’t think NCL has figured out how to pull off a churrascaria at sea.  And since your husband doesn’t even eat meat, I think you could both do better elsewhere.  Just mho. 

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Personally, I would skip Moderno. We’ve tried it several times on different ships, and the meats have always been tough and dry. I don’t think NCL has figured out how to pull off a churrascaria at sea.  And since your husband doesn’t even eat meat, I think you could both do better elsewhere.  Just mho. 

Wow, I wonder what you mean by several ships? WE have been doing Modernos for years, and never found the meat tough. Some ships do a better job than others, but we are always satisfied and the meat is usually rare enough even for me. The only thing we do not care for is the side dishes but we don't go for them, just the salad bar and the meats. 

OP, yes, your idea is a bit strange but I am sure workable. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

Wow, I wonder what you mean by several ships? WE have been doing Modernos for years, and never found the meat tough. Some ships do a better job than others, but we are always satisfied and the meat is usually rare enough even for me. The only thing we do not care for is the side dishes but we don't go for them, just the salad bar and the meats. 

OP, yes, your idea is a bit strange but I am sure workable. 

They said several ships...do they need to enumerate them to give you more street cred?  Turtles has been here for years as have you.  They said mho.

Folks have failed to mention the one item that I went wild over - Roasted Pineapple! Can't make a meal off of it, but it was unbelievably incredible! We experienced  Moderno for the first time on the Epic TA this past April. The salad bar was excellent! I hope it is as good on the Pearl, which we have booked for Dec.

John

I think this is a waste. Even as a meat eater, I’ve never been impressed with Moderno. It’s the worst of any Brazilian steakhouses I’ve visited with by far the smallest salad bar. A vegetarian will likely need to eat another meal elsewhere afterwards, so why waste the money or meal credit? 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think they post the menus each day.  If you don't see something that fits the bill, you can cancel/change your reservation...just be sure to do it 24hrs in advance.

After reading all the responses, I think we will wait until we are on board and can do a reconnaissance mission. We have four specialties with our booking and I think I will buy at least another three package (14 day) and leave a few open.  

I’ve found a decline in the quality of Moderno meats. And have had tough and cold a lot of the time.  To qualify my observations I sail at least every month.   I go there because it’s free for me.  Personally I wouldn’t pay for it.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

We traveled with a group of 30+ and one of our cousins was a vegetarian and the catered to her. They let her order off of Cagney's menu(fish). It was not odd at all.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think it would be a problem for your spouse to eat with you from a plate from another restaurant.  However, it would be a waste to pay a Moderno cover charge just to eat the salad bar.  You can eat a salad bar for free at the buffet.  I also see it a little crazy to walk all the way to Moderno with a salad plate from the buffet.  Best idea is to split up.  We do it all the time.  My spouse does not like BBQ and I eat the ribs at one place while she eats sushi at the Asian place.  We meet up afterwards for dessert.  IMHO, go for what you want.  Its ok to be separated for 30 minutes 😉

I wouldn’t expect it to be necessary to run up to the buffet for fish. A. I was a vegetarian for years and there is plenty there between the salad bar and side dishes to make a full meal. B. If the person feels like it isn’t a complete meal without fish, at the minimum I would think they could bring a fish dish out from the MDR, or potentially from the specialty restaurant that is right next to them. We went to teppanyaki with someone with a fish allergy and since she couldn’t have the soup they serve there, they brought her the soup from the complimentary Chinese restaurant.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I vote to leave the picky eater at home. 😀

Might be the best idea.  At home he will eat what I make, but, in a restaurant, when he has a choice, he has never eaten anything but seafood and vegetarian. 

NCL is proving difficult, because he is also picky about his seafood. The everyday choice of seafood in the MDR is something fried (one of his no-no’s), rather than the usual salmon that most lines offer. And, we both avoid Tilapia (water rats). We usually sail Oceania, which has a number of high end seafood choices in all venues, every night. Even Chilean sea bass shows up in the MDR a few times. 

4 hours ago, JWGrayson said:

Folks have failed to mention the one item that I went wild over - Roasted Pineapple! 

My husband and I loved it , too!  We ate at Moderno on the Pearl twice on our Alaska cruise.  A couple of slices of that delicious pineapple was a perfect dessert. 

The salad bar is not as extensive as those at a land-based Brazilian steakhouse, but I was easily able to make a meal out of the offerings. The two dinners we had there were my favorites (over Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, Cagney’s, Lotus Garden, and the MDR).

• Like 1

We ate at Moderno once.  You are served course after course of a variety of beef and pork at your table.  There was no menu.  I  usually only eat red meat about once a week.  After that  Moderno dinner, I couldn't sleep all night and missed my tour the next day.  I did not get sick, but had lots of stomach pain.

We will be doing Modeno again for our 4th time on Breakaway next month.  Our first time was on the Dawn about 4 years ago.  Since then we have also eaten there on the Jewel and earlier this year on Epic. Each time we liked it more.  We have learned that when we eat there to relax and take our time.  Each time we are eating more at the salad bar and not so much the meats that come around.  They have an incredible bean soup they had last time on Epic that was very good. If all we ate was vegetables we would have no problem getting full on the soups and salads.  Moderno has become our favorite specialty restaurant. The deserts are not really that great there but we do not eat at Moderno for the deserts.

23 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Shrimp is the only seafood I remember being in Modernos on the Sun. (It has been a year since I've been on the Sun)

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

Different strokes for different folks. 

Personally, Moderno is an easy choice - I eat my weight in the hearts of pal alone and oh yes....that roasted pineapple!

How can you for get that? What a treat!!!

Amy

That pineapple is wonderful:classic_biggrin: