Forget the Power Strips

GoodScout

Because most cabins just have two power outlets, a lot of the articles Cruise Critic sends out includes power strips on their lists of "don't forget to pack items." 

Well, go ahead and forget them. They're no longer allowed on Celebrity ships. They held on to mine (and at least 30 others) at embarkation as a "prohibited item" last week. 

Edited by GoodScout
enhance info

8 minutes ago, GoodScout said:

Good to know. I don't cruise that often, and I wish CC's e-newsletter hadn't suggested I bring one. 

Extension cords are also listed on Celebrity's "what not to pack" list. I believe security is also including all types of power strips in this category. Surge protected or not.

Edited by davekathy

2 minutes ago, mit429 said:

You're not supposed to bring them, but you can often get through with them.

Do what you want with that information 

I always bring my CPAP machine plus an extension cord for it and so far (through 77 cruises), they have never questioned it.  However, I keep it in my carry on bag rather than my checked luggage so it gets x-rayed by port security rather than on the ship.  Sometimes the security agents examine the CPAP machine itself but they never even look at the extension cord.

51 minutes ago, GoodScout said:

Because most cabins just have two power outlets, a lot of the articles Cruise Critic sends out includes power strips on their lists of "don't forget to pack items." 

Well, go ahead and forget them. They're no longer allowed on Celebrity ships. They held on to mine (and at least 30 others) at embarkation as a "prohibited item" last week. 

What I usually bring is a simple plug in which converts one outlet to two or three.  Works fine.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mit429 said:

You're not supposed to bring them, but you can often get through with them.

Do what you want with that information 

But please do not try to 'get away' with bringing one that has surge protection as that risks a serious fire danger due to the differences between a ship's electrical system and land-based electrical systems.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, George'sGal said:

What I usually bring is a simple plug in which converts one outlet to two or three.  Works fine.

We do the same and never have any issues.

.The new EDGE power box contraption should be intersting!

Hoping we will be able to charge devices and use plugs we need.

Depictions of the box show it taking up alot of desk or counter  space...

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We do the same and never have any issues.

.The new EDGE power box contraption should be intersting!

Hoping we will be able to charge devices and use plugs we need.

Depictions of the box show it taking up alot of desk or counter  space...

Yes, it will be interesting to see what ports the power box has. Many hotels have installed USB A ports. The only problem is that two out of three of my latest devices use USB C. It will need USB C ports to be future compatible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

But please do not try to 'get away' with bringing one that has surge protection as that risks a serious fire danger due to the differences between a ship's electrical system and land-based electrical systems.

We dont have any problem traveling without a power strip. But should someone traveling and do land base vacations before and after cruises not bring a power strip for use on land. As we all know that people do bring power strips and do use them on cruises. Where are these reports or data of fires on board cruise ships from power strips.

18 hours ago, actuarian said:

I always bring my CPAP machine plus an extension cord for it and so far (through 77 cruises), they have never questioned it.  However, I keep it in my carry on bag rather than my checked luggage so it gets x-rayed by port security rather than on the ship.  Sometimes the security agents examine the CPAP machine itself but they never even look at the extension cord.

If you contact Celebrity's special needs department and tell them you're bringing a CPAP, they'll have an extension cord and bottle of distilled water waiting for you, no charge. 

11 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

We dont have any problem traveling without a power strip. But should someone traveling and do land base vacations before and after cruises not bring a power strip for use on land. As we all know that people do bring power strips and do use them on cruises. Where are these reports or data of fires on board cruise ships from power strips.

Fires were reported on non cruise ships and the US Coast Guard issued an advisory. 

What I bring now is a multipart USB charger. Mine has six ports. Good for cruises and land based vacations.  

3 hours ago, Paulras said:

If you contact Celebrity's special needs department and tell them you're bringing a CPAP, they'll have an extension cord and bottle of distilled water waiting for you, no charge. 

Yes, I do that too.  However, their cords have not always been long enough so I still bring my own.  My wife has to go to the bathroom several times during the night so she sleeps on the side of the bed that is closest to the bathroom.  Depending on the particular room configuration, it sometimes requires a very long extension cord to reach the other side.

we have always received a long extension cord from celebrity which reaches far beyond what we need to go from the power outlet on the wall/desk to the far side of the bed.  If you get one that's too short, just ask for a longer one....they have hundreds of cords and they just grab one.  We either ask in advance or just ask our cabin steward which we did on our last two cruises because I forgot to ask in advance....trust me, they never run out or extension cords or distilled water.  When he brings the cord, I run it from the outlet to where I need it and while we are at dinner, he returns and tapes it so no one trips on it because it runs across the floor.

It's really not a big deal....and you don't to worry or bring your own extension cord, even if you forgot to ask in advance.  BTW, I always carry a 15' extension cord and have never had to use it...and that includes hotels around the world.....but  I'll continue to carry it...just in case.

Edited by ghstudio

I've never carried a power strip, but I do travel with a power cube (non-surge protected although they do make a surge protected model).  It has four outlets and two usb ports.  We find the only thing we carry that requires an outlet is my laptop.  So the other outlets get dual usb adapters.  WE carry two iphones, two ipads, two Kindles, and a fitbit.  I took it on Equinox in Aug/Sept.  And on many Carnival cruises and MSC.  EM

enhance

We travel with plug adapters which convert our US three-prong plugs to the European (and elsewhere) two-prong plugs. This increases the availability of outlets in our cabin, sometimes from two outlets to four. Plug adapters are easy to pack and cost just a few dollars. We have had no need for electric current converters, which cost quite a bit more.

Edited by SFCAcruiser

8 hours ago, actuarian said:

Yes, I do that too.  However, their cords have not always been long enough so I still bring my own.  My wife has to go to the bathroom several times during the night so she sleeps on the side of the bed that is closest to the bathroom.  Depending on the particular room configuration, it sometimes requires a very long extension cord to reach the other side.

If you are travelling with a CPAP machine contact Special Needs and they will provide you with an extension cord and distilled water.

I've always gotten extension cords from Celebrity that were way too long for my CPAP. Only need a few feet but I'm pretty sure what they give is at least 15 ft. and a heavy thick one. Actually takes up too much space. Not sure if they're expecting me to use it on the balcony 😀

On 11/17/2018 at 8:56 PM, bigbenboys said:

Here is the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protected devices and fires:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

With 43 years of experience as a ship's engineer, it is one of my "crusades" on CC to notify folks about the dangers of surge protectors on ships.  One thread was started by a fellow CC member, who has an EE background, and who questioned the problems with surge protectors, and when he researched it as I suggested, he came away convinced.  Note, the posts tend to be technical in details:

Post #10 is when CaveDiving had the epiphany that there is actually a very real possibility of a fire, even with a perfectly operating surge protector, if there is a ground fault anywhere else on the ship, outside of your control.

Yes, I recommend use of a power strip, with surge protection for any land vacation, but the problem is that ship's wiring systems are significantly different than land systems.

Edited by chengkp75

Due to the confined nature of the cruise ship itself, as well as its distance from any outside fire fighting help, it is critical that the cruise lines be extra careful about anything that even minimally may be a fire risk.  I am ok with that.

We have been on more than one Celebrity ship where there was a note prohibiting anything with extra outlets (including the cube-types mentioned).  They were not confiscated, but there was a note advising against them.  Don't know why this only happened on some ships and not others.  Hopefully on the Edge, and when the other ships are updated, they will be more prepared to handle the outlet needs of this century.  

38 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Due to the confined nature of the cruise ship itself, as well as its distance from any outside fire fighting help, it is critical that the cruise lines be extra careful about anything that even minimally may be a fire risk.  I am ok with that.

We have been on more than one Celebrity ship where there was a note prohibiting anything with extra outlets (including the cube-types mentioned).  They were not confiscated, but there was a note advising against them.  Don't know why this only happened on some ships and not others.  Hopefully on the Edge, and when the other ships are updated, they will be more prepared to handle the outlet needs of this century.  

While those notes are informational, there really is no more danger from using a non-surge protected power strip, extension cord with multiple ends, on a ship than there is in using the same device at home.  If it's not in good condition, you wouldn't use it at home, so don't bring it on the ship.  Given that the circuits for ship's cabins cover 3-6 cabins, and each one is trying to use as much power as possible, there really isn't any great risk, as the breaker will pop long before any one cabin can draw enough power to overhead a multiple outlet device.  While ships are trending towards more USB ports in the cabins, I doubt there will be many more power outlets installed, it just isn't that large a room.

While what you say is true that the ship cannot look for outside assistance in fighting a fire, it has more onboard capability than most homes, being equipped with sprinklers in all spaces.  That sprinkler can knock down an incipient fire long before a land based fire department can respond.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

From reading the info. "These recommendations are an advisory only and not mandatory." Seem like some company is manufacturing poor quality equipment. Now back to what I said. If you need a surge protector and or a extension cord while traveling before or after your cruise on land. You should bring them and give them to Celebrity while boarding. Then get them back after the cruise. Our last vacation was 21 days and only 12 nights were on a cruise.

Here is the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protected devices and fires:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

With 43 years of experience as a ship's engineer, it is one of my "crusades" on CC to notify folks about the dangers of surge protectors on ships.  One thread was started by a fellow CC member, who has an EE background, and who questioned the problems with surge protectors, and when he researched it as I suggested, he came away convinced.  Note, the posts tend to be technical in details:

Post #10 is when CaveDiving had the epiphany that there is actually a very real possibility of a fire, even with a perfectly operating surge protector, if there is a ground fault anywhere else on the ship, outside of your control.

Yes, I recommend use of a power strip, with surge protection for any land vacation, but the problem is that ship's wiring systems are significantly different than land systems.

This is the Anker Multiport Charger I use on cruises, land vacations and at home. Used it in the last year on a cruise and for a week in Iceland.  Much better and elegant solution than a power strip and a bunch of seperate charging cubes. It is small and easy to pack. I bought it on Amazon. It has taken it's last trip though and will remain on my desk as one of my devices now requires a PD USB C port so I will buying an Anker that has multiple USB A ports and a PD USB C port. It is already saved  in my Amazon shopping cart. Just waiting to see if it goes on sail Black Friday.

1 (3).jpg

Edited by Charles4515