RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

As I mentioned before, I believe some of the reason for asking for bids is market research.

Agreed 100%. They are tracking pricing and I believe increases be will be based upon this research. 

23 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Agreed 100%. They are tracking pricing and I believe increases be will be based upon this research. 

I third that thought.  We were offered a Royal Suite on our upcoming cruise.  Since the bid was way less than we would have paid, we went for it.  After two weeks of working with Tech support, they told us to cancel our bid and re-bid because we couldn’t change our bid, we did so and now can’t get the bid option back.  I immediately let them know and they said there is nothing they can do (even though the email says if it was unbauthorized cancellation, to reply back).

They told me the option isn’t available anymore.  I explained that I have it in writing from them, that I can cancel or change the bid until it has been accepted by RC and my credit card charged.  Since I couldn’t modify my bid, and the room isn’t available-seems like I’m the sucker that gave them some market data.

It doesn’t matter to me in the end, but wouldn’t a survey be an easier way to get market data than offering something that doesn’t exist?

I am sailing on the Serenade of March 25. I waited to book until the ocean view cabin that I wanted was available and then purchased it on January 15. Last week I received my email to "Royal Up" but after seeing where the balcony cabins were that were available (way in the front or way in the back) or seeing the type of balcony cabins that were available (connecting, obstructing, or with a third or fourth bed off the wall) no amount is worth upgrading from the ocean view I have. No thanks, Royal.. no more money from me.

People are notorious for giving bad info in surveys or interviews...even when they think they're being open and honest.  They say what they think you want to hear, or they say what they'd like to think they'd really do.  Having real money at stake is more accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggercat said:

We are on Allure sailing 3/17.  It appears there are no staterooms available on the ship but I got the email to bid last week.  Friends that we are sailing with purchased a jr suite guarantee and still have not been assigned a stateroom.  You would think they would assign guarantees before having people bid on a sold out ship???

The allocation of cabins would continue as it was, as they already maintain numbers of how many cabins are sold and available for guarantee purposes. Taking bids doesn't change that inventory.

However, bids are collected as contingency. What if your friends were to cancel before the sailing? Obviously they're not planning to, but it does happen. Taking your bid means they have a replacement that provides extra revenue if that should happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

People are notorious for giving bad info in surveys or interviews...even when they think they're being open and honest.  They say what they think you want to hear, or they say what they'd like to think they'd really do.  Having real money at stake is more accurate. 

That's true, but the price people are already willing to pay for cabins is proof enough. They've got a whole swag of data from actual sales; incremental upsell sales are an additional revenue source that may provide their own arbitrage opportunity for the cruise line, but don't override first party sales data.

6 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

However, bids are collected as contingency. What if your friends were to cancel before the sailing? Obviously they're not planning to, but it does happen. Taking your bid means they have a replacement that provides extra revenue if that should happen.

So many miss this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Congrats.  That will be once in a life time experience.  I suggest you a Powerball Ticket before your luck runs out.😉🙂

Thanks.. It's DH 50th birthday so we splurged. We might enjoy it too much and not look back. We haven't booked a balcony since out first Jr suite..... Suite life is addicting. 

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The streak is broken (for Dan at least) got the Royal Up email for next Monday's BR trip.  $80 for a spacious OV balcony and $100 for a JS.  5 nights

$200 for the JS is not bad, except for the lack of extra points.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The streak is broken (for Dan at least) got the Royal Up email for next Monday's BR trip.  $80 for a spacious OV balcony and $100 for a JS.  5 nights

Does this mean I still have a chance?  We sail Saturday but I haven't heard from my Royal Up bid for a balcony.  I keep checking....

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

$200 for the JS is not bad, except for the lack of extra points.

I was just going to email you.  Do you know if JS can have breakfast in Chops on the BR or is that just full suites?  All JS are under the pool deck.  Not sure I like that too much  Points not too important  Will never reach Pinnacle 

Edited by molly361

5 hours ago, Tiggercat said:

We are on Allure sailing 3/17.  It appears there are no staterooms available on the ship but I got the email to bid last week.  Friends that we are sailing with purchased a jr suite guarantee and still have not been assigned a stateroom.  You would think they would assign guarantees before having people bid on a sold out ship???

This is interesting to me because we are also in a suite GTY, 39 days out and still no assignment. I actually called RCI and asked about this since I could not out-right purchase a JS or GS on the site at the time of booking. They told me they hold back suite GTY inventory on purpose (i.e., even if it shows as sold out on the site, the inventory does exist). I asked if there was a "cut-off date" for Royal Up bids and she said it varies from sailing to sailing. I asked this question because I'm assuming they will not assign rooms until all bidding has ceased. This has prob. been mentioned already but since this thread is so long, thought I'd share the results of my conversation. Last time we booked a suite GTY we were assigned 2-3 weeks out and upgraded from a JS to a GS - as others have mentioned, I'm not optimistic about this happening anymore due to Royal Up but time will tell.

17 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I was just going to email you.  Do you know if JS can have breakfast in Chops on the BR or is that just full suites?  All JS are under the pool deck.  Not sure I like that too much  Points not too important  Will never reach Pinnacle 

No special breakfast for JS guests who are not Pinnacle.

Just received RoyalUp offer (exactly 60 days out) for the Royal Suite ($400 PP) or Villa Suites ($200 PP).  Freedom April 28.  We are currently in an Owners Suite. Not interested in walking all the way aft so will not bid on the VS but entered the min bid for the RS which is still showing “availabile”.  This is not a tremendous deal (the PP cost for a straight upgrade is $1000) but since we’ve never been in the RS we will give it a shot.  Certainly not willing to pay more than $800 for it.  

Have been tracking prices and the price of the OS we already have booked fell $600 PP right after final payment date so they might be having a bit of a problem selling this sailing. I think there are still 3 or 4 OS still showing “available”.  Others looking for upgrades may have a good shot on this one.

5 hours ago, Waves2land said:

I third that thought.  We were offered a Royal Suite on our upcoming cruise.  Since the bid was way less than we would have paid, we went for it.  After two weeks of working with Tech support, they told us to cancel our bid and re-bid because we couldn’t change our bid, we did so and now can’t get the bid option back.  I immediately let them know and they said there is nothing they can do (even though the email says if it was unbauthorized cancellation, to reply back).

They told me the option isn’t available anymore.  I explained that I have it in writing from them, that I can cancel or change the bid until it has been accepted by RC and my credit card charged.  Since I couldn’t modify my bid, and the room isn’t available-seems like I’m the sucker that gave them some market data.

It doesn’t matter to me in the end, but wouldn’t a survey be an easier way to get market data than offering something that doesn’t exist?

That sucks regarding the cabin bein* there, and then gone. As for data tracking, the post below says it best. 

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Agreed. 

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So many miss this point.

Agreed, contingency is important for them espically for larger cabin categories which could be harder to fill on short notice. I personally believe that they are also capturing price points to see what committed guests, past final payment are willing to shell out over and above their up front price paid in the beginning.

For some reason I think more effort is put into this than tracking Crown and Anchor loyalty perks, members etc...  That being said it is about profits, and there is nothing wrong that with. 

2 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

Thanks.. It's DH 50th birthday so we splurged. We might enjoy it too much and not look back. We haven't booked a balcony since out first Jr suite..... Suite life is addicting. 

Congrats. Star Class will be an amazing experience for you, especially for your DH 50th. Going back will definitely be even harder for you know. Get that PowerBall win.

We got a Royal up offer today for March 29th TA on the Jewel.  Exactly 30 days out.  We are in a Grand Suite and there

have not been ANY suites available in forever.  All kinds of people on the roll call are getting Royal Up offers.  We are

happy where we are and I think in this case it is marketing and for back filling cancellations.  To move up to an Owners

suite would have been $200. PP min.  There would be no difference in perks as far as I know between GS and OS.

5 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

... There would be no difference in perks as far as I know between GS and OS.

No perk difference, but the OS has the separate shower, bidet, and full size dining table inside the stateroom.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the double postJust received RoyalUp offer (exactly 60 days out) for the Royal Suite ($400 PP) or Villa Suites ($200 PP).  Freedom April 28.  We are currently in an Owners Suite. Not interested in walking all the way aft so will not bid on the VS but entered the min bid for the RS which is still showing “availabile”.  This is not a tremendous deal (the PP cost for a straight upgrade is $1000) but since we’ve never been in the RS we will give it a shot.  Certainly not willing to pay more than $800 for it.  

Have been tracking prices and the price of the OS we already have booked fell $600 PP right after final payment date so they might be having a bit of a problem selling this sailing. I think there are still 3 or 4 OS still showing “available”.  Others looking for upgrades may have a good shot on this one.

sorry for the double post

Edited by RFerrington
Double post