Photo when doing online check in

leerobbs

I was just encouraged to include a photo of myself and my wife on our set sail information to "expedite the process" when checking in.  This is on the Serenade, anyone else getting this and when did it start on the smaller ships?

• 1 month later...

Have just gone to online check in for my January cruise.  They want me to download a picture of myself.  I have NO idea how to do this.  Plus also they have certain specifications/plain white background/ looking straight forward etc.     Anyone offer any help or suggestions for this new twist on checking in.  Thx.

We were asked to upload a photo last year and did not do it. They just took our picture at check in.  We are checking in for our NZ cruise and they are asking for a picture also but will just have it done at the terminal. Not everyone in the world has the ability to do it so they will. 

Take your smartphone, put it sideways, stand next to a wall in your house, preferably something really light colored.  Email the photo to your computer, place on desktop, and then on the RCCL page, grab the picture, to upload.  Make sure it is just a face shot, not your whole body. 

You don't "have" to do this, but it makes things faster. 

4 minutes ago, may1021 said:

Have just gone to online check in for my January cruise.  They want me to download a picture of myself.  I have NO idea how to do this.  Plus also they have certain specifications/plain white background/ looking straight forward etc.     Anyone offer any help or suggestions for this new twist on checking in.  Thx.

Uploading the photo is optional.

9 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Take your smartphone, put it sideways, stand next to a wall in your house, preferably something really light colored.  Email the photo to your computer, place on desktop, and then on the RCCL page, grab the picture, to upload.  Make sure it is just a face shot, not your whole body. 

You don't "have" to do this, but it makes things faster. 

Yeah, it will save all of 5 seconds per person when checking it.

• Like 1

Apparently it works best if you are going on one of the giant ships like Symphony out of Miami.  The new terminal lets you drop your bags inside the garage and you check in there.  If you have uploaded the photo your check in is completed.  This is hearsay but I am going in mid-December, and I did photos.  We shall see.

If your ship is supported in the app (about half right now) you can complete check-in, including the photo, on your phone.

It works and it works well.  When boarding Symphony in BCN, the only time I stopped moving was when they scanned the barcode on the phone and verified my Passport.

Same last year on Anthem, except check-in was available only on the web site.

Hey, for our Serenade cruise 2 weeks ago the online check in also required a photo.

I tried it without but was not able to complete the online check in or print my set sail pass without uploading a photo.

Maybe it was the Website or I didn´t get it right, but in the end I had to upload one to print my pass.

Nadine

Last cruise I had a picture taken for my SetSail pass.  When I got to the check-in, the photo wasn't acceptable, so they took another one.  

I will try again as last time I couldn't print my pass until it had a picture, but, then again, I may have done something wrong other than  the picture itself.

A picture I've used numerous times is now no longer acceptable.  The latest check in wants a higher resolution photo.  Before they wouldn't accept a high resolution photo and it had to be small.  I said screw it and I'll let them take it in the terminal.  

On 11/27/2018 at 8:35 AM, boatseller said:

If your ship is supported in the app (about half right now) you can complete check-in, including the photo, on your phone.

It works and it works well.  When boarding Symphony in BCN, the only time I stopped moving was when they scanned the barcode on the phone and verified my Passport.

Same last year on Anthem, except check-in was available only on the web site.

We had the same experience at BCN as well boarding Symphony. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 11:09 AM, leerobbs said:

I was just encouraged to include a photo of myself and my wife on our set sail information to "expedite the process" when checking in.  This is on the Serenade, anyone else getting this and when did it start on the smaller ships?

I tried to upload photos. Kept getting an error message on RCCL's site saying the photo was too small, had to be something like 190 by 240. It did not say if those numbers were in pixels, but I assumed that. I attempted to upload several of the photos I had recently used for my passport renewal, from about 195 by 250 pixels up to about 3 times those numbers. The Fed took 'em for my renewal application, but not RCCL!  I called RCCL's customer service, and he said it was probably "a glitch". So I will try again in a few weeks. Everything else on the "Check in" process went without a hitch, and I printed our boarding passes. However, there was no offer to print luggage tags. I called and they told me they can be printed 49 days prior to sailing. They also told me not to worry about the photos; they will just take their on boarding day as on most cruises.:classic_cool:

Doug

On 11/27/2018 at 8:15 AM, blackshirt said:

Even if you upload a photo, there is a possibility they will reject it and take one at checkin anyway. This happened to us on Anthem. They accepted my uploaded photo but not my wife’s. 

Yep, I tried uploading several photos this morning, the web page kept giving me an error about "size must be 190 by 240" or something similar. All my upload attempts were at least 195 by 250 pixels; got the same error message on each. Those were the same photos I recently used to renew my USA passport. No problem with the government.....go figure.

Edited by PaperSniper4
want replies

• 3 weeks later...

Today I tried again to upload our photos to RCCL's site for our upcoming cruise. Two months ago it did not; This time it worked. I suspect if any of you have tried before to upload as gotten an error message like above, try it, it may work this time.

This is how I did it (both times)

1. I had previously scanned our passport photo page and keep those on my PC.

2. I used a "snipper tool" computer app to "snip" then save just the photo itself from the scan above.

3. Using a photo editor (Adobe) to resize that snipped photo to be 300 pixels wide, 426 pixels height at 96 pixels/inch   resolution.

4a. The first time I attempted to upload that to RCCL I got the error messages...this was about 2 months ago.

4b. Today I successfully uploaded that same photo to RCCL. I was directed to reprint my boarding document which I did.

I don't know if it will save any time at check in, but it's worth a try.

Edited by PaperSniper4
change

Yep, not something you have to do but for those of us who cruise very rarely, it's kinda fun. Anything related to the upcoming cruise just gets me more ready. I'm not sure why people get so upset when they are asked to do this. Just don't do it. Those of us who do it are doing it because it's just something we like to do. We don't feel obligated. Relax everyone. it's a cruise. 

On 11/27/2018 at 8:54 AM, Trainer said:

Apparently it works best if you are going on one of the giant ships like Symphony out of Miami.  The new terminal lets you drop your bags inside the garage and you check in there.  If you have uploaded the photo your check in is completed.  This is hearsay but I am going in mid-December, and I did photos.  We shall see.

did that work?

Yes, this worked well.  Hardly slowed down on check in.  Luggage taken in garage and sent to ship.  The slowest part was putting carry-on case through the scanner.  Less than 15 minutes from car to on board.  Everything done on Ipads.  quick!