IV--Would You Book or Book Again?

cluso

7 hours ago, hcat said:

So sad that we now compare X to Carnival  and Norwegian...

Used to be Royal and Princess..but now X is in the mainstream pack!

X has always been in the mainstream pack, along with Princess, Holland America, Royal, Norwegian and Carnival.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Wow...I followed the link..This is the best EDGE review to date and I have read  many of them.  Hope you post to the Celebrity review section...I did not see it there ( may have missed it ? )

Thank you! Not had the time yet - I'll get working on it 🙂

1 hour ago, dodger1964 said:

i don't see any links in post #124...(under the old cc i had much of the extraneous items turned off so maybe that is why I can't see it?? in the old cc you could open the remainder of hidden info...I can't seem to do that if that is indeed the problem)

It is still there at the bottom of the post--in blue and underlined.  "Review of Celebrity Edge Maiden Western Caribbean..."  It is not on the CC boards at this time.

People really need to check out the IV pictures--including the room service pictures at the end of the review.:classic_ohmy:

2 hours ago, cluso said:

It is still there at the bottom of the post--in blue and underlined.  "Review of Celebrity Edge Maiden Western Caribbean..."  It is not on the CC boards at this time.

People really need to check out the IV pictures--including the room service pictures at the end of the review.:classic_ohmy:

• dides
  • October 18, 2009
  •  
  • 678 posts
  • London, UK
   On 1/1/2019 at 8:36 AM,  vtcruising said: 

I looked back at some pictures with the window down and I guess there is a bit of a difference in the upper and lower view through the window in this picture, but not too opaque at the time this was taken - looks kind of like tinted glass. I wonder if it changes with the light?

We noticed it particularly when it hadn't been cleaned for a while - two lots of rainspotted glass is hard to look through.

That is what I see in post 124

4 minutes ago, dides said:

cluso is referring to the link in my signature, if you can see this below.

Sandra

Notice this was your first X cruise. Which brand have you mainly been sailing on prior to X? Just interested to hear what made you choose Edge - was it purely it being a new ship? Thanks for the review 😉.

52 minutes ago, villauk said:

Notice this was your first X cruise. Which brand have you mainly been sailing on prior to X? Just interested to hear what made you choose Edge - was it purely it being a new ship? Thanks for the review 😉.

We are Elite on Princess and got into blogging after going on the preview and inaugural of Majestic Princess in 2017. It was fun doing a 'live from' on cruisecritic, running around the ship finding answers to everyone's questions. Then we went on the first Ocean Medallion preview cruise (must try out the "new tech" cried my geeky other half!) but that rollout didn't quite go as planned for Princess. We also did the Norwegian Bliss inaugural TA last year (look - it's got a race track AND a beerhouse!!) and posted live blog posts every day of the 12 days. Exhausting but very rewarding getting feedback from future passengers. So yes, we love new ships - can't do every one but couldn't resist the Edge. Wasn't the best intro to Celebrity I suspect though! 😁

Sandra (and Chris)

Edited by dides

45 minutes ago, dides said:

We are Elite on Princess and got into blogging after going on the preview and inaugural of Majestic Princess in 2017. It was fun doing a 'live from' on cruisecritic, running around the ship finding answers to everyone's questions. Then we went on the first Ocean Medallion preview cruise (must try out the "new tech" cried my geeky other half!) but that rollout didn't quite go as planned for Princess. We also did the Norwegian Bliss inaugural TA last year (look - it's got a race track AND a beerhouse!!) and posted live blog posts every day of the 12 days. Exhausting but very rewarding getting feedback from future passengers. So yes, we love new ships - can't do every one but couldn't resist the Edge. Wasn't the best intro to Celebrity I suspect though! 😁

Sandra (and Chris)

Thanks, nice to hear why pax make certain decisions. I’m sure there are quite a few cruisers who enjoy experiencing all the new ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dides said:

Sandra (and Chris)

I like your style! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dodger1964 said:

i don't see any links in post #124...(under the old cc i had much of the extraneous items turned off so maybe that is why I can't see it?? in the old cc you could open the remainder of hidden info...I can't seem to do that if that is indeed the problem)

18 hours ago, hcat said:

Wow...I followed the link..This is the best EDGE review to date and I have read  many of them.  Hope you post to the Celebrity review section...I did not see it there ( may have missed it ? )

3 hours ago, dides said:

cluso is referring to the link in my signature, if you can see this below.

Sandra

dodger1964 and all others,

CC was and maybe still is having problems loading forums, especially the Celebrity one.  Anyway, to read this review go to any of "dides" comments on this page and click on her link at the very bottom.  It is blue and underlined.  Excellent.

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Dides, thanks for the great review.  I see you ended with the thought that you would only book Edge again if you could get a standard balcony.  Be aware that this is what you would get

I meant that in a loose sense - we liked the look of the Sunset Verandah which has a balcony.

Chiming in...

If you do go with an IV having the bed by the bath is probably the better option for several reasons:

There is a larger nightstand beside the closet- with the opposite arrangement there are two small size ones.

The cabin seems more open with this arrangement.

It is easier to access the glass french doors.

It would be very easy for Celebrity to add a curtain of some type on a track mounted inside of the folding doors in cabins with bed by bath, but in those with bed by veranda there is virtually no room for anything or anybody between the bed and those doors.

One of my cruising joys is napping on the veranda. With the IV the veranda size and type of chairs makes this impossible.

While we did enjoy the Edge overall, we'd opt for a forward OV over an IV if we book her or her sister ships in the future.

• Thanks 1

We had the IV with bed near veranda, and absolutely loved it.  For us, it meant more room as we walked in, near the closet and bath. I also loved sleeping right next to the open veranda at least a couple of evenings.  Admittedly we never used the folding doors and unusually did not have breakfast in the room (we usually do).  There were so many lovely venues for breakfast that we never used the room service option.  We will definitely book a similar cabin again!  😉  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RaynJeffnOhio said:

We had the IV with bed near veranda, and absolutely loved it.  For us, it meant more room as we walked in, near the closet and bath. I also loved sleeping right next to the open veranda at least a couple of evenings.  Admittedly we never used the folding doors and unusually did not have breakfast in the room (we usually do).  There were so many lovely venues for breakfast that we never used the room service option.  We will definitely book a similar cabin again!  😉  

Good to hear.  Have the same booked for feb sailing 

Many thanks Dides for a brilliant review. We are cabin 8292 so similar lay out and location to yours. Looks like I'll have to shed some weight if we are to keep the doors to the balcony closed as I'll never get through ;-)

Seriously, some brilliant information. Just to ask your opinion. We have booked the Fine Cut Steakhouse for our 25th as they couldn't guarantee the Magic Carpet. Do you think that is a good choice?

14 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Many thanks Dides for a brilliant review. We are cabin 8292 so similar lay out and location to yours. Looks like I'll have to shed some weight if we are to keep the doors to the balcony closed as I'll never get through 😉

Seriously, some brilliant information. Just to ask your opinion. We have booked the Fine Cut Steakhouse for our 25th as they couldn't guarantee the Magic Carpet. Do you think that is a good choice?

Hey, I left the bi-fold door closing to Chris as it's his thing to sit on the balcony with his last drink of the day looking out at the horizon and listening to the waves. I am usually taking my make up off and getting ready for bed. By mid-week he didn't bother closing the bi-fold doors because of the hassle which meant I got to listen to the waves with him. Ooop I guess there was no blind down either for privacy!  You'll get into your rhythm 🙂

The Fine Cut is a good choice - very attentive service and great quality food. I loved their take on a Caesar salad and the steaks were melt in the mouth.

One solution is to replace  the bed with a Queen size bed next to the  Veranda...This would give more room by the bi folds  and maybe even room for a curtain to be installed

.Or they could  use all Queen size beds unless in a larger suite .  Then they coukd  re-work the door area in the IVs...so AC and privacy issues can be improved.  With current spacing  and big beds it appears not to be possible,,.,

Hotels and homes with King beds have a much larger room area and not a small multi purpose ship cabin.   Many people manage quite nicely  in a Queen size...

40 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Since the ship is only two months old and cost a billion dollars, I don’t see them replacing or repositioning or reconstructing anything, really

I was just thinking the same. Good grief, they may as well just start from scratch after reading all the necessary requirements to make things work on Edge cabins - no way they are going to do that. For a start off, they wouldn’t want to admit to all these design faults. Or as another poster has just stated, ‘anything’s possible if you just believe’ 🤣

On the positive side, the food sounds like it’s improved 😉.

46 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

How relaxing is that?  Surely nothing could spill if you try to sit down, if there's room for your legs.  Modern Luxury.

I can't even imagine breakfast.  It was hard enough for me to juggle putting my feet up on the little table with one of those Kelly Hoppen pillows on it as a footrest, and putting a drink on the Tom Tom while reading.