IV--Would You Book or Book Again?

cluso

We switched our bed by veranda configuration awhile ago.  DH would be using the side closest to the veranda and it looked like a potential hazard getting in or out, esp at night.  King bed size looks too big for the  bed by the veranda configuration.

Whenever we have bed by bath, closet access can be a challenge but we prefer  that set up...think it will work well with the little veranda space added on.

Counting down now.....after following the ship build for so long.... thanks to Lloyd!

Ps..open balcony doors create a wind suction/ tunnel effect with the cabin door and often an eerie whistle of wind into the hallway and other cabins.  Creates an issue  for others and the attendants who have to track down the source!  One help for non source cabins  is putting a rolled bath towel by the door bottom to keep the windy noise from getting through.

Not sure if  any of this will apply to open or partially open Veranda windows.

Edited by hcat

We will be in an infinite veranda stateroom in a few days.  I think based on many opinions, we should have booked a picture window cabin and saved our money- the IV really doesn't seem functional.  

I like the cabin to be cool-so if the AC shuts off when the IV is open, with the folding doors closed, sounds like a poor design IMO.  Fortunately, we have the Deluxe Beverage package- which I will use!!  So perhaps the IV will be fine.   LOL

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Esprit said:

Seems to me that there are some Celebrity diehards that will find the smallest thing to complain about but to see so much negativity from people who haven't yet been on the Edge is incredulous.

The  M class ships look like they are made of LEGO bricks in design and the S class ships have a stupid staircase that descends onto a tiny dance floor. A design flaw in my eyes but didn't stop me sailing on them and having a great time.

Of course we all have our own opinions but base them on experience not on what someone else tells you please.

And the Edge class do not exactly have what one would call sleek exterior design either. In fact the stern looks like someone had one too many cocktails while at the drawing board.

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

One help for non source cabins  is putting a rolled bath towel by the door bottom to keep the windy noise from getting through.

Not sure if  any of this will apply to open or partially open Veranda windows.

Ha ha ha this is classic - I hope you don't take it the wrong way...

I live in the SEAsean country, which is greatly affected by the "haze effect" created by the neighboring country that burns a lot of the old palm plantations... During haze season, the stench of burning palm oil is at times truly unbearable, and since a lot of high end condos in the city have a half inch gap beneath the front door (stupid design, but hey, they also do not build in the fans in their toilets, believe it or not...), the stench easily penetrates in the apartments.

So your solution is used religiously 🙂

I sure thing was using it during cruises, it works! This time I am thinking to bring with me - along with other useful inventive solutions by the Edgies - a roundish flexible "door sausage" that is sold in the colder states to prevent a draft under the doors during the winter lolol

17 hours ago, Esprit said:

... the S class ships have a stupid staircase that descends onto a tiny dance floor. A design flaw in my eyes but didn't stop me sailing on them and having a great time.

If the center staircase and a small dance floor is the worst thing on the S-class ships, I'll take that every time.  I happen to find that staircase very useful to move between decks.  I think it's a great location.  What does bother me about the Edge design is the IV balcony design and how it misses so many needs of so many passengers.  It's a good design concept that is poorly executed.  

I did not notice the wind tunnel effect when we had window open . I had intended to look for it. Not sure why. During day I did not keep it open for long. I am not crazy about heat and it was quite warm despite being December. I would book the cabin again.... if price was right.....just not worth high premium

I have two SV cabins booked for Jan. 2020. Glad I didn`t booked a IV. We spend a good amount of time on our balcony as we don`t care for the main pool. I would only book SV or a suite on the Edge. For the price of suites we would rather cruise on the luxury lines. 

We were on the Dec 16-23 sailing.  We very much liked the IV and would book it again. But clearly not for everyone.  If you like to sit and lounge in the veranda for a long time, then it’s clearly not for you. But if you use the veranda for shorter periods of time, then it might really work out for you. Do keep an open mind.  Yes, it doesn’t really feel like a traditional veranda, but at least for me, neither does it feel like a traditional porch, or merely an open window.  The upper ledge just above the moving glass makes it feel more enclosed than what you may be used to.  We embraced the different feel and it didn’t vary bother us.

The IV also made the room feel more spacious.  All except for one night, when it got too warm, we slept with the window and the sliding doors open. The window was shut twice during the trip, once in the middle of the night.

Overall we loved the EDGE, and IV was part of its many delights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been on P&O Oceana a number of times and her balconies are the old ones in the hull of the ship. Not sure what the difference the IV will be to that when it comes to not being in the open. It is the same sort of balconies as some of the older Princess ships have. We are getting concerned re the negative reviews but will stay with our cabin --- basically as there is no other ones to move to on the sailing ! Part of us is wishing we had gone for the SV cabin but we wanted to go on Edge to experience something different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We have been on P&O Oceana a number of times and her balconies are the old ones in the hull of the ship. Not sure what the difference the IV will be to that when it comes to not being in the open. It is the same sort of balconies as some of the older Princess ships have. We are getting concerned re the negative reviews but will stay with our cabin --- basically as there is no other ones to move to on the sailing ! Part of us is wishing we had gone for the SV cabin but we wanted to go on Edge to experience something different.

Hi Presto2

I've been on Oceana twice so can assure you the Edge IV's are nothing like those enclosed ones on Oceana. I think you have also been on Britannia and again I can assure you I'd rather have an IV than the tiny standard balcony Britannia and the Royal Princess class ships have.

20 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Hi Presto2

I've been on Oceana twice so can assure you the Edge IV's are nothing like those enclosed ones on Oceana. I think you have also been on Britannia and again I can assure you I'd rather have an IV than the tiny standard balcony Britannia and the Royal Princess class ships have.

Hi, thanks for that.

To be honest we like the enclosed ones on Oceana as they are so private and the iron work gives a great space to prop your feet up and the sides your glass ;-).

On Britannia we have only had an aft cabin with large balcony so not sure what the standard sides ones are like.

Whatever we'll make the best

• Thanks 1

Wind tunnel effect is real with the veranda window open if you leave the stateroom. 

The he bed was the most comfortable I have had on a cruise. 

We had the bed by the closet, I slept on the side near the veranda, twice I stubbed the hell outof my toe on the base of the sofa next to the bed. 

We were on the 9th December cruise and the IV had too many cons than pros. We actually liked having an afternoon nap with the IV open and the room feeling humid - the sound of the waves was relaxing. However, when open, the height of the bar obscured the view for my other half and the double set of glass panels made it too opaque. Also it was too fiddly to close the bi-fold doors in the space available and I often woke up earlier than my other half so couldn't look outside without disturbing him. The two biggest issues were not having control of when they were closed and the buttons didn't always respond immediately so the window was stuck open for periods of time. Did we press the buttons incorrectly or will this be an ongoing maintenance nightmare? We are not booking one again to find out 🙂

Edited by dides

10 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

Wind tunnel effect is real with the veranda window open if you leave the stateroom. 

The he bed was the most comfortable I have had on a cruise. 

We had the bed by the closet, I slept on the side near the veranda, twice I stubbed the hell outof my toe on the base of the sofa next to the bed. 

Ouch..Are the bed and couch that close to each other`?  Maybe a small  towel wrapped around the couch leg would help...

Thanks for the reminder...We will close the  veranda window upon leaving the toom..that should be automatic.  Would not want to come back to any surprises..like seagulls!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dides said:

We were on the 9th December cruise and the IV had too many cons than pros. We actually liked having an afternoon nap with the IV open and the room feeling humid - the sound of the waves was relaxing. However, when open, the height of the bar obscured the view for my other half and the double set of glass panels made it too opaque. Also it was too fiddly to close the bi-fold doors in the space available and I often woke up earlier than my other half so couldn't look outside without disturbing him. The two biggest issues were not having control of when they were closed and the buttons didn't always respond immediately so the window was stuck open for periods of time. Did we press the buttons incorrectly or will this be an ongoing maintenance nightmare? We are not booking one again to find out 🙂

I don't remember having trouble with the buttons not working, but just didn't like that I had to hold the button down until the window was fully  down (of course, it was probably all of 20-30 seconds 😉). We didn't find the opaque view issue with the window down. We had a great view as far as I remember (and I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that) - I wonder if it depends upon how the sun hits the window? I guess we will learn more as more people sail in IVs.

2 hours ago, dides said:

Had lots of trouble with the buttons.  If I didn't hold it down just so, it didn't work.  Sometimes I actually thought the mechanism was already broken 

Edited by ecslady

1 minute ago, ecslady said:

Had lots of trouble with the buttons.  If I didn't hold it down so, it didn't work.  Sometimes I actually thought the mechanism was already broken 

Yes it happened on 5 or 6 occasions for us. Once we both tried the close button but nothing happened. We left it for a minute and it worked again. Not great on a ship a month after delivery!

15 minutes ago, dides said:

Yes it happened on 5 or 6 occasions for us. Once we both tried the close button but nothing happened. We left it for a minute and it worked again. Not great on a ship a month after delivery!

That sounds annoying!

12 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Thanks for the reminder...We will close the  veranda window upon leaving the toom..that should be automatic.  Would not want to come back to any surprises..like seagulls!

My wife and I frequently are not out and about at the same time. One of us might be reading on the balcony, and the other might be elsewhere on the ship.  No issues with tunnel effect when that person returns to the cabin, as we don’t leave the balcony door open, including when we are out there. But it does sound like there would be an issue with the IV if the other person has the window open. (We won’t find out though; thanks to the very helpful info provided by so many people who have sailed on Edge, it’s clear that the IV is not for us.  We prefer the open feel of a true balcony.)

I looked back at some pictures with the window down and I guess there is a bit of a difference in the upper and lower view through the window in this picture, but not too opaque at the time this was taken - looks kind of like tinted glass. I wonder if it changes with the light?

image.thumb.png.0d9fb055cd548f4b77386e0561778b21.png

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

I looked back at some pictures with the window down and I guess there is a bit of a difference in the upper and lower view through the window in this picture, but not too opaque at the time this was taken - looks kind of like tinted glass. I wonder if it changes with the light?

We noticed it particularly when it hadn't been cleaned for a while - two lots of rainspotted glass is hard to look through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

That's an excellent picture showing what a dumb concept the IV is. It looks as if the person is sitting in a glass elevator.

Well, must be he likes sitting in glass elevators because he actually was enjoying himself. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1