CALLING ALL SMOKERS GOING ON THE EDGE!!

garda

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I don't know why smokers think that helps. 😛

I'm not sure he is suggesting that people try to cover smoke smells with perfume.  I think the suggestion is that people who use too much perfume or cologne are also a problem that bothers other passengers.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not sure he is suggesting that people try to cover smoke smells with perfume.  I think the suggestion is that people who use too much perfume or cologne are also a problem that bothers other passengers.  

Believe  me I didn't take the post to imply that. Just reading between the lines. 

Not a smoker, happy it’s restricted but two thoughts:

1, you RARELY get sympathy here on cruise critic for whatever reason.

Its a tough crowd, but generally correct, just strict. You didn’t follow the rules and something happened? Nobody here will feel sorry for you. On some other social media you will have hundreds of supporters.

2. IF - you restrict the smokers TOO much, they will find a way, probably on their balcony. Better to make a reasonable accommodation in my opinion.

Celebrity usually does, the Edge May be a work in progress as it’s a fresh design.

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

You didn’t follow the rules and something happened?

Hi justcrusn!

LOL!  No I didn't break the rules!  Haven't been on the Edge yet!  I was just surprised that the Edge took away the smoking area on the lower deck.

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

Better to make a reasonable accommodation in my opinion.

Thanks, that's all I am requesting.

Daniela

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 6:35 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

E-sigs are treated just like cigarettes for a lot of reasons.  They are prohibited nearly every place cigarettes are prohibited.

We were on Summit & actually saw someone trying to sneak an e-cig just outside the Redenvous Lounge. One our of group went out to report it but no one came to investigate. This was inside! 

32 minutes ago, garda said:

Thanks, that's all I am requesting.

Daniela

Celebrity does read CC but have you contacted Celebrity directly?  Look at it this way. Celebrity is trying to keep you healthy. Now your getting more exercise whether you need it or not. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, justcrusn said:

you RARELY get sympathy here on cruise critic for whatever reason.

Its a tough crowd..

Holy cow you're correct.  I'm a life long non-smoker and I am easily bothered by second hand smoke, but I'm feeling sorry for the OP, garda.  He seems like a very reasonable person and appears to be careful not to bother anyone.   He's just looking for a few more locations to smoke without bothering anyone and everyone seems ready to jump down his throat.  I don't think deck 5 is a good place but with all of the new features on the Edge, I think it's reasonable to expect Celebrity could have designed some specific places for smokers that have adequate ventilation not to bother anyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Holy cow you're correct.  I'm a life long non-smoker and I am easily bothered by second hand smoke, but I'm feeling sorry for the OP, garda.  He seems like a very reasonable person and appears to be careful not to bother anyone.   He's just looking for a few more locations to smoke without bothering anyone and everyone seems ready to jump down his throat.  I don't think deck 5 is a good place but with all of the new features on the Edge, I think it's reasonable to expect Celebrity could have designed some specific places for smokers that have adequate ventilation not to bother anyone.

Hi ipeeinthepool!

Firstly, Garda, is a SHE!   My husband is also a smoker, so really trying to avoid him getting irritated....but nothing a couple of drinks can't solve:classic_biggrin:

Thanks for your kind words.  I felt hands around my neck!  LOL!  Oh...and let's not forget that I was going to JAIL!  LOL!!:classic_ohmy:

When I am on a cruise, tis the most wonderful time of the year!  

On 12/18/2018 at 12:49 PM, Floater4life said:

Reading comments from non smokers (of which I am one) if I were you I would quit.  One day you will be jailed for being a smoker, of course unless it's weed.  I understand all the non smoker attitude but I also sympathize, my brother is a smoker.  I am serious though you will be considered a social criminal one day and turned in if caught.  Being banned from a cruse ship...well the writing is on the wall there for much sooner.   Sorry.

Yeah, and I'll soon be taken to the brig for bringing along my own plastic straws!

• Like 2

The perfume argument is the one most smokers use to justify the smell of smoke. I have never found yet a perfume so awful that it is terribly offensive to me that they wear it. First, I have to be fairly close to even smell it, and second it does not get into the ventilation system and sent into other cabins.  It is just an excuse. But don't get me started with all the other negative thoughts I have about people who continue to smoke knowing the known health  issues that are caused from COPD, heart disease and of course the biggest cancer and I never heard of second hand perfume causing lung cancer. 

22 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

The perfume argument is the one most smokers use to justify the smell of smoke. I have never found yet a perfume so awful that it is terribly offensive to me that they wear it. First, I have to be fairly close to even smell it, and second it does not get into the ventilation system and sent into other cabins.  It is just an excuse. But don't get me started with all the other negative thoughts I have about people who continue to smoke knowing the known health  issues that are caused from COPD, heart disease and of course the biggest cancer and I never heard of second hand perfume causing lung cancer. 

Smokers raise perfume so often that I wonder if smoking has ruined their sense of smell. I also have never been bothered by perfume smells. It is the smokers who have an oder that I can smell. I live in a building with elevators and never notice perfume in the elevator. Smokers are the people I smell. 

58 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

The perfume argument is the one most smokers use to justify the smell of smoke.

Hi kkmiausa,

I never raised the perfume argument......

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

negative thoughts I have about people who continue to smoke knowing the known health  issues that are caused from COPD, heart disease and of course the biggest cancer and I never heard of second hand perfume causing lung cancer. 

Hi Charles 4515,

Thanks for your concern.  As I have previously stated..LIVE AND LET LIVE.....

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Smokers are the people I smell. 

Really, was this comment necessary?

Have I in any way, shape or form attacked anyone?  So, please in the spirit of the Holiday Season, please stop .  Your comments have nothing to do with this thread.  YES I SMOKE AND I WILL ABSOLUTELY SMOKE IN THE DESIGNATED AREAS only.  Is that okay with you all?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garda said:

Hi Charles 4515,

Thanks for your concern.  As I have previously stated..LIVE AND LET LIVE....

I did not raise any concern. You attributed to me what someone else said. I did not post what you quoted about health issues. 

As as for the perfume someone did raise it. Never said it was you. 

Saying smokers smell is stating a fact. It is not an attack against you. 

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I did not raise any concern. You attributed to me what someone else said. I did not post what you quoted about health issues. 

As as for the perfume someone did raise it. Never said it was you. 

Saying smokers smell is stating a fact. It is not an attack against you. 

We see nothing wrong with smoking in public.

Yours truly,

Chair hogs

Seat savers in the theatre 

Elevator Flatulationers 

On 12/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, AIROHS said:

LOL Either way you BOTH stink LOL

Okay..this is th best answer (post) I have seen in a long time and I still can’t stop laughing...maybe because it’s soooo true! And I’m not sure which one is worse!!!

2 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

Okay..this is th best answer (post) I have seen in a long time and I still can’t stop laughing...maybe because it’s soooo true! And I’m not sure which one is worse!!!

OK was all in fun i lmao while typing it

garda wrote: " I was just surprised that the Edge took away the smoking area on the lower deck."

To reiterate -- the design of the ship is different than what you might have experienced on M- and S-class ships.  The deck is much narrower, and with the "infinite verandahs" it is much more likely that any smoke will make its way upward and into the staterooms.  I don't think that any amount of requesting, cajoling, or begging will get them to give smokers a place on that deck.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

garda wrote: " I was just surprised that the Edge took away the smoking area on the lower deck."

To reiterate -- the design of the ship is different than what you might have experienced on M- and S-class ships.  The deck is much narrower, and with the "infinite verandahs" it is much more likely that any smoke will make its way upward and into the staterooms.  I don't think that any amount of requesting, cajoling, or begging will get them to give smokers a place on that deck.

We do a group every year and one person smokes out of 20. Last one we did on Celebrity during dinner he would go outside once to smoke. He is really addicted. Can’t see him taking an elevator up to smoke. But I guess addicts would do it.  Celebrity has not been a good fit for smokers and now even less so. They probably should not book Celebrity. 

We were on the Dec. 9 Inaugural cruise. Smoking was rampant in cabins on deck 11. We were on the aft, starboard, and had a long walk to the elevators. The smell of cigarette smoke was very prevalent. One of our Roll Call members was also on deck 11 portside and said that when she entered the cabin after boarding the cabin reeked of cigarette smoke. Apparently many smokers on the Edge are not abiding by the rules.

I was on the December 9th sailing on Deck 11 portside and traversed that deck several times daily to get up to the front elevators/stairs to access Luminae and the Retreat areas and never once smelled smoke from any cabin areas. Did smell something sewage like one day but never smoke.

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Smokers raise perfume so often that I wonder if smoking has ruined their sense of smell. I also have never been bothered by perfume smells. It is the smokers who have an oder that I can smell. I live in a building with elevators and never notice perfume in the elevator. Smokers are the people I smell. 

I have never smoked, and I have certainly run into people on cruise ships that smell like they have bathed in perfume.  I suspect that it is their sense of smell that has gotten overwhelmed so they just keep adding more and more.

• Thanks 1