Currently on the Edge(12/16/18) too much misinformation and craziness on this board!

kwokpot

13 hours ago, vtcruising said:

A1AE7173-CBD0-412D-BACA-BE3342E0A749.thumb.jpeg.10a8045708421478e489793c9df0ab86.jpeg

And meeting the Captain on the Bridge!!😀

Hi Marilyn

Yes, the Captain was very happy to take questions.

The Club was rockin' last night. I'm torn between it and Eden. So glad they brought a night club back after removing it from Reflection.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 12:37 PM, ohhbother said:

I feel qualified to speak to this, as I sailed in a balcony cabin on Bliss in October and an IV cabin on Edge in December. To me, there is no comparison. Bliss has balconies. Edge has oceanview cabins with windows that open. You step outdoors on Bliss. You do not in an IV cabin on Edge. I'm a pretty loyal Celebrity cruiser, but Bliss is a better ship than Edge, in my humble opinion. We're booked in an S1 for a week on Edge in April for a week in the Haven on Bliss in May -- looking forward to comparing them again. I never expected to like Bliss more (it was our first NCL cruise), but I did. We'll see if our experiences this spring change that opinion.

WOW!  You almost took the words right out of my mouth.  We were on Breakaway in the Haven over Thanksgiving and that experience left me thinking that I never expected to like it more than Celebrity...but I did.  We are on the Edge in an S2 over spring break...and like you, I will be making a comparison and going from there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Esprit said:

Thanks Kwokpot for allowing me to share your thread. I hope you had pre planned to leave the ship in St Maarten?

Not sure if you got the last gift from Celebrity. A nice portrait picture holder with an Edge picture included.

Here are all the goodies we've received so far.

IMG_3853.JPG

Between our 3 cruises, we received 2 white and 2 orange bottles. We love them. They can hold hot liquids as well so my DH uses his for tea when leaving the house. 🙂

• Like 1

We

16 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Hi Marilyn

Yes, the Captain was very happy to take questions.

The Club was rockin' last night. I'm torn between it and Eden. So glad they brought a night club back after removing it from Reflection. 

I'm so glad you are having a great time! Counting the days to get back onboard (29)!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Esprit said:

She's the activities manager working along side Maarten the CD

Have you seen the thread where some people are pretty upset with the lack of traditional Trivia on board Edge?  Maybe they should bring it to the attention of the activities manager?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Have you seen the thread where some people are pretty upset with the lack of traditional Trivia on board Edge?  Maybe they should bring it to the attention of the activities manager?

Haha,

She is well aware of the disquiet from traditional trivia fanatics. The interactive trivia isn't going to change unless Miami HQ say so.

I could say the same about the distinct lack of Ballroom and Latin dancing but my cruise isn't going to be totally ruined by its absence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had not planned on doing any specific dish by dish meal descriptions;I don't know how others have that much time on their hands to do it for 7 nights 3 meals a day! But someone requested some menu and photos so I have some from the last night we were on board (12/19). 

We were placed in late seating (8:30) in the Cyprus Restaurant. Since we booked only 6 days prior to sailing that was the only option available. It's been a long time since we've had set dining since we prefer eating dinner around 7-7:30 and set dining is NEVER those times. You are assigned a dining room on board;you cannot choose which restaurant at time of booking. 

We had tried to change to Select when we boarded but it was not available. We asked about switching dining rooms even with set dining and it was explained that if you wanted to go to one of the other four restaurants you could only go the night in question at your assigned time and see if the other restaurant has space available. If so, you can eat at the other restaurant. If not, your existing table will be available. We were assigned a table for two which is what we prefer. 

As other reviews have noted the three starters, three entrees, and one desert choice that's exclusive to that particular restaurant DOES NOT CHANGE. That's disappointing. Having said that the Taverna Salad, Greek Style Grilled Sea Bass, and the desert which was Greek style plain yogurt with honey and nuts were excellent. In fact I had the sea Bass twice in the four dinners we had on board. 

All the regular Celebrity menu items were also excellent and were better than our two previous Celebrity sailings on the Equinox and Solstice. The only thing that wasn't good was steak and chips which is par for the course and was the same in ALL OF OUR PRIOR CELEBRITY SAILINGS. I think it's an embarrassment the cuts of meat they serve in the main dining rooms. My husband took one bite of the steak and promptly asked for the menu to order something else. He chose the Rigatoni and he said it was excellent! 

Oh backtracking a bit for starters I had the Butternut Squash Soup and husband had the Pasta Fagioli. Both excellent. We ended the meal with coffee and I had a scoop of sorbet. 

IMG_20181222_171949661.jpg

IMG_20181219_203334264.jpg

IMG_20181219_203344071.jpg

IMG_20181219_210819730.jpg

IMG_20181219_211801187.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I had not planned on doing any specific dish by dish meal descriptions;I don't know how others have that much time on their hands to do it for 7 nights 3 meals a day! But someone requested some menu and photos so I have some from the last night we were on board (12/19). 

We were placed in late seating (8:30) in the Cyprus Restaurant. Since we booked only 6 days prior to sailing that was the only option available. It's been a long time since we've had set dining since we prefer eating dinner around 7-7:30 and set dining is NEVER those times. You are assigned a dining room on board;you cannot choose which restaurant at time of booking. 

We had tried to change to Select when we boarded but it was not available. We asked about switching dining rooms even with set dining and it was explained that if you wanted to go to one of the other four restaurants you could only go the night in question at your assigned time and see if the other restaurant has space available. If so, you can eat at the other restaurant. If not, your existing table will be available. We were assigned a table for two which is what we prefer. 

As other reviews have noted the three starters, three entrees, and one desert choice that's exclusive to that particular restaurant DOES NOT CHANGE. That's disappointing. Having said that the Taverna Salad, Greek Style Grilled Sea Bass, and the desert which was Greek style plain yogurt with honey and nuts were excellent. In fact I had the sea Bass twice in the four dinners we had on board. 

All the regular Celebrity menu items were also excellent and were better than our two previous Celebrity sailings on the Equinox and Solstice. The only thing that wasn't good was steak and chips which is par for the course and was the same in ALL OF OUR PRIOR CELEBRITY SAILINGS. I think it's an embarrassment the cuts of meat they serve in the main dining rooms. My husband took one bite of the steak and promptly asked for the menu to order something else. He chose the Rigatoni and he said it was excellent! 

Oh backtracking a bit for starters I had the Butternut Squash Soup and husband had the Pasta Fagioli. Both excellent. We ended the meal with coffee and I had a scoop of sorbet. 

IMG_20181222_171949661.jpg

IMG_20181219_203334264.jpg

IMG_20181219_203344071.jpg

IMG_20181219_210819730.jpg

IMG_20181219_211801187.jpg

Thanks for the details. Did you try to go to one of the other restaurants or know anyone else who did? I was wondering how difficult it might be to try another MDR if you have traditional dining (though may just be a crap shoot).

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the details. Did you try to go to one of the other restaurants or know anyone else who did? I was wondering how difficult it might be to try another MDR if you have traditional dining (though may just be a crap shoot).

We didn't try to see if we could dine in any other dining room. If you're on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary and San Juan remains a late port stop I would recommend that's the night to try a switch. I was surprised how many people I assume were dining out in San Juan; I guesstimate the dining room was only 40% full! I would think any other port stop that goes past dinner times would have the same result. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, vtcruising said:

15 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We didn't try to see if we could dine in any other dining room. If you're on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary and San Juan remains a late port stop I would recommend that's the night to try a switch. I was surprised how many people I assume were dining out in San Juan; I guesstimate the dining room was only 40% full! I would think any other port stop that goes past dinner times would have the same result. 

Question about the dining. We are cheap cruisers and don’t do specialty restaurants. Will we find enough options to keep us satisfied during the trip, especially supper? If I am reading it right, the four main dining room menus never change during the cruise?

Just hope that cruise lines never make the free dining options such that specialty dining is the only true option. 

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

Question about the dining. We are cheap cruisers and don’t do specialty restaurants. Will we find enough options to keep us satisfied during the trip, especially supper? If I am reading it right, the four main dining room menus never change during the cruise?

Just hope that cruise lines never make the free dining options such that specialty dining is the only true option. 

On menus of the four main dining rooms are 3 sections of food choices. The first section is called Exclusives and cannot be found in the other dining rooms. The selections do not change and follow the theme of that particular dining room. In my case, Cyprus, the theme was Greek specialties.

The second section is called Classics and these choices are the same in all the dining rooms. They also do not change and are offered every  night. The last section is Celebrity Signatures. Again these choices are the same in all the dining rooms BUT the choices are different every night. 

The starters and entrees were always well prepared and tasty. The fish dishes were not overcooked. The only choices that I feel are not up to par are the steak offerings. I don't like the cuts of meat used but that's been how I felt about these choices on all Celebrity ships. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

On menus of the four main dining rooms are 3 sections of food choices. The first section is called Exclusives and cannot be found in the other dining rooms. The selections do not change and follow the theme of that particular dining room. In my case, Cyprus, the theme was Greek specialties.

The second section is called Classics and these choices are the same in all the dining rooms. They also do not change and are offered every  night. The last section is Celebrity Signatures. Again these choices are the same in all the dining rooms BUT the choices are different every night. 

The starters and entrees were always well prepared and tasty. The fish dishes were not overcooked. The only choices that I feel are not up to par are the steak offerings. I don't like the cuts of meat used but that's been how I felt about these choices on all Celebrity ships. 

Awesome, thanks for the reply. This sounds exactly like we are used to.

Was the main pool busy in the morning and evening or would it be clear enough to swim lazy laps?

All the trip reports have me excited to see the ship. 

18 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Awesome, thanks for the reply. This sounds exactly like we are used to.

Was the main pool busy in the morning and evening or would it be clear enough to swim lazy laps?

All the trip reports have me excited to see the ship. 

What's cool about the Edge's pool design is that it's long enough to do laps( the MSC Meraviglia has a similar design although I think Aida cruiseline had the same design several years earlier!). I think you'll be OK with laps outside the 'rush hours' of 11-4. Since there's no kids pool there are kids in the main pool but at least on our cruise the kids were never rowdy or disruptive. I did notice pool security talk to a parent and I assume it was over the age of the child. The father replied his baby had swim diapers on. They remained in the pool. I Have attached a photo of the pool deck around 11:30 on our first seaday. 

IMG_20181217_115012847_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to swim laps for an hour from 2 pm to 3pm when we were in Tortola last Wednesday. There were just two groups of three in at the time so easy to swim by end to end.

On the penultimate sea day the pool was packed due the glorious weather. The final sea day was much chillier so few were sitting around the pool or in it .

I can't remember the last time I swam in the main ship pool but the length of Edge's pool makes a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

... I did notice pool security talk to a parent and I assume it was over the age of the child. The father replied his baby had swim diapers on. They remained in the pool. …

That's terrible and unhealthy.   Unless the child is potty trained, the child should not be in the pool.  Swim diapers leak and can spread diseases into the pool.  I hope the Edge staff gets some new training quickly to address this issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I was able to swim laps for an hour from 2 pm to 3pm when we were in Tortola last Wednesday. There were just two groups of three in at the time so easy to swim by end to end.

On the penultimate sea day the pool was packed due the glorious weather. The final sea day was much chillier so few were sitting around the pool or in it .

I can't remember the last time I swam in the main ship pool but the length of Edge's pool makes a big difference.

My DH was so happy to be able to swim laps in that pool every day. He was lucky because it wasn't crowded when he went, so was easy to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's terrible and unhealthy.   Unless the child is potty trained, the child should not be in the pool.  Swim diapers leak and can spread diseases into the pool.  I hope the Edge staff gets some new training quickly to address this issue.

When the pool was at its busiest last Friday I couldn't help but notice the number of people with drinks in hand. I wonder how many left the pool to visit the toilet when the urge arose?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

When the pool was at its busiest last Friday I couldn't help but notice the number of people with drinks in hand. I wonder how many left the pool to visit the toilet when the urge arose?

To be honest that’s why we never use the pool or Jacuzzi. There is a lot of stuff in there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yorky said:

To be honest that’s why we never use the pool or Jacuzzi. There is a lot of stuff in there.

Solution is to get out there early..enjoy your swim when the water is cool, refreshing and clean!  That's what we do for both the Solarium and outdoor pools.

• Like 2