IV- Can you hang a curtain?

jelayne

18 minutes ago, kearney said:

In cabin with bed by the window.... it is 8'3" .... but the veranda does not go the complete width of the cabin.... it is roughly 9-10" shorter. I was looking at the gap thinking that they could use something like a vertical blind to allow what OP wants... but I actually mentioned that to CEO... she indicated that there is not enough space without impacting night stands... which are only adequate now... anyway... if you look closely at the photo... you will notice that the cabin is wider than the veranda... a bit hard to see... but it is

So the width of the cabin where the bed is 8’3”?

18 minutes ago, kearney said:

In cabin with bed by the window.... it is 8'3" .... but the veranda does not go the complete width of the cabin.... it is roughly 9-10" shorter. I was looking at the gap thinking that they could use something like a vertical blind to allow what OP wants... but I actually mentioned that to CEO... she indicated that there is not enough space without impacting night stands... which are only adequate now... anyway... if you look closely at the photo... you will notice that the cabin is wider than the veranda... a bit hard to see... but it is

This isn’t what I remember but was only on for 2 days.  At 8’3” there is not much room between the bed and wall, 14” or 15.  Our IV bed was 23” or 24” from the wall.

Was the veranda 9” to 10” shorter with the doors opened?

Edited by Oville

Okay, I actually attempted to create a diagram of an IV cabin... alas DH helped some... but thought I was nuts... so I was unable to get a few of the measurements. I did not do the bathroom or closet. I did a couple of measurements but not enough to complete the diagram. there appears to be a slight difference in width of cabin where the bed is vs where the sofa is... but what one area loses... the cabin next door gains so it all works out. I did this because I noticed the veranda was not as wide as the cabin is.  Now looking at similar cabins on other ships... the cabin width at the bed is about the same... roughly 18". Next ship I will have to look at verandas on other ships. One thing that they may not have factored is the thickness of the walls vs the plexiglass/metal separation between cabins on other verandas. They may make sq ft calculations from a diagram and not factor in windows, walls etc. I don't know...but if someone sails on an S class it would be nice to compare useable sq ft of veranda... this was an E3 cabin. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.37.43 PM.png

Edited by kearney

13 minutes ago, Oville said:

So the width of the cabin where the bed is 8’3”?

This isn’t what I remember but was only on for 2 days.  At 8’3” there is not much room between the bed and wall, 14” or 15.  Our IV bed was 23” or 24” from the wall.

Was the veranda 9” to 10” shorter with the doors opened?

We had a scooter... no way our scooter fit between bed and wall... perhaps cabins vary more in size. 

I took the measurement with bifold doors open.... my measurements are not precise... in part due to me doing some of it alone and also... by the veranda... the wall is curved so I had to take the measurement in a few inches which could impact them... but bottom line... veranda in this E3 was not as wide as cabin. On cabin crawl I noticed similar designs so. One thought... the beds are slightly rounded ... I took measurement at narrowest point

26 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

If it is the same metal used around the doors in the Penthouse, it is aluminum, and magnets won’t work.

I would think it is the same material.   So I will try  hanging a curtain from the ceiling.

Thanks all for the info & the humor.

LOL! I got 22 inches between bed and wall in our IV cabin - maybe they are all different or it is us! 😉  I swear I only had 2 drinks before measuring....

I wonder if the reason the balcony is several inches less than the cabin is to accommodate the IV mechanism for the cabin next door (in that boxed in area on the right in the picture).

Someone mentioned contact paper on the bifold doors - they found a type that didn't leave marks when removed. You could leave it up the whole time with the doors open, and just close doors when you want to block the light. 🙂

Edit: actually, the person showed how they used the contact paper for balcony glass on a side that had no privacy (people from bar below could see them on balcony).

Edited by vtcruising

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

LOL! I got 22 inches between bed and wall in our IV cabin - maybe they are all different or it is us! 😉  I swear I only had 2 drinks before measuring....

I wonder if the reason the balcony is several inches less than the cabin is to accommodate the IV mechanism for the cabin next door (in that boxed in area on the right in the picture).

Someone mentioned contact paper on the bifold doors - they found a type that didn't leave marks when removed. You could leave it up the whole time with the doors open, and just close doors when you want to block the light. 🙂

Edit: actually, the person showed how they used the contact paper for balcony glass on a side that had no privacy (people from bar below could see them on balcony).

I thought you did... I tried backing scooter... and it did not fit... Now going back it looks like measurement is closer to 19"... but with this cabin scooter would not have gotten by bed... now I did not push in the bedding.. I was trying to capture it... but hard to get accurate measurements doing it alone... Now I wonder if it is wider in cabins with bed by bathroom... the cabins are not rectangular... there is some variation between the bed area and living room area.... but the floor if the veranda was pretty straight forward.... 

The last couple of S class cabins we have had has been on the hump...1A.... they have more space...   Contact paper would give privacy... I wonder about how dark the cabin would be... given that the windows don't seal the area.

15 hours ago, dides said:

And here's our picture contribution to the discussion. Can't confirm the material

iv.jpg

I take it that the ‘veranda’ area is not wide enough to have those 2 chairs and the small table straight? By the looks of the photo, they have to be at an angle in order for them to fit? I didn’t realise they were different sizes throughout the ship - this one looks slightly smaller than the other one posted above (or perhaps it’s just the angle it’s taken from 🤔).

17 hours ago, kearney said:

I thought you did... I tried backing scooter... and it did not fit... Now going back it looks like measurement is closer to 19"... but with this cabin scooter would not have gotten by bed... now I did not push in the bedding.. I was trying to capture it... but hard to get accurate measurements doing it alone... Now I wonder if it is wider in cabins with bed by bathroom... the cabins are not rectangular... there is some variation between the bed area and living room area.... but the floor if the veranda was pretty straight forward.... 

The last couple of S class cabins we have had has been on the hump...1A.... they have more space...   Contact paper would give privacy... I wonder about how dark the cabin would be... given that the windows don't seal the area.

A friend who is going to be on the ship with us in a couple of weeks received a Bosch laser measuring device for Christmas, which he says is deadly accurate. He is bringing it on the cruise, so we will get some answers. 😉

Yes. not sure about the contact paper, but any of these ideas that are used, photographed and posted on CC may help stimulate change. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villauk said:

I take it that the ‘veranda’ area is not wide enough to have those 2 chairs and the small table straight? By the looks of the photo, they have to be at an angle in order for them to fit? I didn’t realise they were different sizes throughout the ship - this one looks slightly smaller than the other one posted above (or perhaps it’s just the angle it’s taken from 🤔).

I think it may be the angle of the photo. I don't remember that we had to be at an angle. Here is one where one of the chairs is straight.

image.thumb.png.ac6e956ebd5599abdfd812d1ad1f7e0c.png

17 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Hmm..Our condo has  a walk in  shower with a see through top and no door on the area into our bedroom...We bought a roll of plastic which is opaque with a  vine motif..It gets squeegeed on with a small included tool.. We havent  put it on yet .but this might work great on the bifolds.....I imagine it would be easy to remove, Home Improvements at Sea?

I still think a curtain panel  for privacy on each door should work somehow but still not sure how to attach....or if moving the doors at all will be worth the time and effort for us .

We are opp side from the MC and  up on  deck 9...so maybe a non issue or we can always dress in the bathroom

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kearney said:

Hi Kearney.,.

Interested in your conversation with CEO.

.Seems she is aware of the IV issues,,,but if the vertical blind ( or even curtains) are not workable,  did she indicate  they were exploring other solutions to light and privacy issues?

If space with doors closed is that tight,  I wonder how  folks get in and  out of bed on the veranda side?  Glad we swapped for bed by bath!

Loved that video..

Seems we have a trekkie  entertainment  motif on EDGE.

.Too bad the window and shade technology have  not been as good as Star Trek tech...now sev decades old.

.maybe redesign the IVs to mini transporters!

Edited by hcat

Can you open side of the bifold doors or do  they both open at the same time?

I am thinking of taking a brush and the powder to make white wash and white wash the windows like they use to do on store fronts.  

The other would be a roll of brown packing paper and some blue masking tape to tape on the glass.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, miched said:

I am thinking of taking a brush and the powder to make white wash and white wash the windows like they use to do on store fronts.  

The other would be a roll of brown packing paper and some blue masking tape to tape on the glass.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Buy Glass Wax and you can dye it different colors. Just wipes off when your done..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would really like to know WHO in their right mind did even the slightest bit of research into any of the myriad list of problems that so many people have noted just from seeing photos not to mention those who have experienced these aspects of the ship.  

It's like they sat around in a board room, came up with designs and ideas which they sent off to the shipyard with final approval before even studying a computer draft of the finished design.

11 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I would really like to know WHO in their right mind did even the slightest bit of research into any of the myriad list of problems that so many people have noted just from seeing photos not to mention those who have experienced these aspects of the ship.  

It's like they sat around in a board room, came up with designs and ideas which they sent off to the shipyard with final approval before even studying a computer draft of the finished design.

And/or before actually asking real cruisers' opinions.  I think there would have been a lot of passengers who would catch these things even before they became reality.  We are not all so unaware of this sort of problem, even if all of us would not have caught all of them.  Even one passenger noting one problem would at least have given a heads-up to the designers, who admittedly had possibly never cruised before.  How could they even begin to guess at these kind of things then?  I hope that X is paying attention to these reviews, and that it is still early enough to correct some of the problems for Apex, in order to avoid repeating them.  If not, they will certainly lose some of us, their most loyal cruisers, from their new E-Class ships.  One and done is not a good thing from a corporate standpoint.  

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hcat said:

Loved that video..

Seems we have a trekkie  entertainment  motif on EDGE.

.Too bad the window and shade technology have  not been as good as Star Trek tech...now sev decades old.

.maybe redesign the IVs to mini transporters!

Perhaps X would have been better employing the makers of Star Trek 🤣? Reading all the Edge posts, I think pax would be wise to add an extra luggage allowance to accommodate all the extra requirements needed to make the IVs liveable. Looks like we’ll be bringing boxes too on the M & S class ships, after the ‘Revolution’, if the shelving doesn’t have any door fronts (no bumpy rides on cruises anymore, must be a new innovative design feature since the inception of Edge 😆).

55 minutes ago, villauk said:

Perhaps X would have been better employing the makers of Star Trek 🤣?

Perhaps that's the problem ---- there were no balconies on the Star Trek ships so the Celebrity designers had to work it all out for themselves …..

Edited by Presto2
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 5:59 AM, Pennstateman said:

Can you also bring your own mattress and food?

Don’t think you need to; from what I have read the food is very good and most seem to find the beds comfortable.  No if you have a bad back you may want to bring a back board😉

I am hopeful they supply the non cashmere mattress I requested and was promised..allergy issue!   Just in case I will bring a mattress cover to make sure,.

We are looking forward to the cruise and the food...just the cabin is not a source of excitement.,,

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, miched said:

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Might be able to pack an extra sheet and hang it...…...unreal