Boarding later to avoid lines

On 1/4/2019 at 3:28 PM, Capt_BJ said:

A little Adv' OTS heads up

we sailed for Turkey day week (6 day from Port Ever') and I'm usually a member of the 1pm or later crowd. We had someone dropping us off at the port/ship and were a ahead of schedule and came off 95 11ish.  And soon traffic to the port came to a halt .. about even with the airport. I dunno what was going on that might have been 'special' but we were in a slow moving traffic jam for 45 minutes getting to the security gate of the port!

It was an effective filter tho, cuz once we finally got thru the gate we went to the terminal and were on board and able to go directly to our cabin within 15 minutes .... only queue was at the metal detectors and that wasn't much.

I suspect had we arrived at noon or later the port traffic jam would have been gone and we would have been onboard within minutes of our 'earlier' arrival.

The only time I have ever run into a traffic jam was sailing out of San Juan. They have one road entering the port.

26 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

The way I look at it, my vacation starts the moment I have both feet on board, inside the check-in counter. 

I want my vacation to start ASAP, so arriving early and having to possibly wait in line to be one of the first on board doesn't bother me a bit.

Sounds like a good plan.  I agree and feel the same way.

You need to be checked in and boarding no later then 80 minutes before sailing. 4 :30 you will not be allowed to check in or board. As mentioned, rooms open up around 1 PM. I try and arrive by 11 and usually on board in 30 to 40 minutes from time I arrive, check in and walking on board. 

On 1/4/2019 at 12:14 AM, Ilovesailaway said:

Cruising on Adventure OTS on 2/2 out of Port Everglades. We have a 5:30 pm departure. I am not a big fan of standing in lines or the hurry up and wait routine. I would love to walk into the cruise terminal, no line at security, no line at check in, walk on and go straight to my cabin to drop a bag. What time should I arrive at the port?

We are on that sailing too!!  We will try and get there earlier rather than later.  However, it doesn't always work out the way we plan!

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Yes, got charged a taxi congestion fee. 

Wow that stinks.  We got stuck in horrendous traffic entering the San Juan port on our last cruise from there are were not charged more than the fixed fare.

I try to arrive about 1:00-ish when cabins open so that I can drop my larger carry-on before I head to the Windjammer.

My husband would have us there at the crack of dawn but I can't stand the crowds. In the past couple of years I feel like they have become much tougher with literal pushing and shoving at times. I'm on vacation. I'm not up for that.

9 hours ago, friendofg said:

I try to arrive about 1:00-ish when cabins open so that I can drop my larger carry-on before I head to the Windjammer.

My husband would have us there at the crack of dawn but I can't stand the crowds. In the past couple of years I feel like they have become much tougher with literal pushing and shoving at times. I'm on vacation. I'm not up for that.

No crowds at all for Rhapsody when we boarded on Saturday at 10:30.

Interesting to me is that the email I just received says guests must be on board 60 minutes in advance, and elsewhere I have seen guests must check in at the port 90 minutes in advance.

Which is right?

image.png.e9958886a06abe9c41de6da074cb7f70.png

And from their site

image.thumb.png.2e9170fb47280128c4b756049e48c7e9.png

We always board a few hours before scheduled sailaway.

All of the horror stories of people not being allowed to check in at the port after the 90 minute window has passed have made me not want to be late at check-in.

9 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

Interesting to me is that the email I just received says guests must be on board 60 minutes in advance, and elsewhere I have seen guests must check in at the port 90 minutes in advance.

Which is right?

They could both be correct as check-in is different than boarding.

This is posted at the bottom of my set sail pass for Oasis 2/24.  Anyone that wants to be splitting hairs between the 60 to 90 minute rule...you are on your own.  Me, I will take this warning to heed. 

Due to government regulations, all guests are required to be at the pier and checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to sail time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clean1owner said:

Why would anyone want to wait until only 60 minutes prior to board?

The idea of purchasing a cruise is to be ON a cruise, not sitting in a hotel, terminal, or anywhere else until the last possible minute to board.

Because some of us don’t enjoy those first few hours. I’m not a fan of waiting in the terminal for a boarding number to be called, to then get  on the ship to wait some more, with hordes of people with their carry ons, clogging the buffet and public areas waiting for staterooms to be ready. For me, the cruise portion of my vacation truly begins when I’m settled in my stateroom which is why I time things so that the time between my arrival at the port and the time when I’m dropping my carry on in the stateroom is minimized as much as possible. We have even taken things a bit further on the last few cruises and now enjoy a relaxing lunch at a restaurant near the port before boarding. That way we board the ship with a full stomach and content. For us, that’s more enjoyable and a better start to our cruise than standing in line at a buffet as soon as we board the ship. 

I respect and applaud those who don’t mind any of that. Different people enjoy different things. Nobody is wrong. 😀

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Because some of us don’t enjoy those first few hours. I’m not a fan of waiting in the terminal for a boarding number to be called, to then get  on the ship to wait some more, with hordes of people with their carry ons, clogging the buffet and public areas waiting for staterooms to be ready. For me, the cruise portion of my vacation truly begins when I’m settled in my stateroom which is why I time things so that the time between my arrival at the port and the time when I’m dropping my carry on in the stateroom is minimized as much as possible. We have even taken things a bit further on the last few cruises and now enjoy a relaxing lunch at a restaurant near the port before boarding. That way we board the ship with a full stomach and content. For us, that’s more enjoyable and a better start to our cruise than standing in line at a buffet as soon as we board the ship. 

I respect and applaud those who don’t mind any of that. Different people enjoy different things. Nobody is wrong. 😀

We could obviously never travel together!

3 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

We could obviously never travel together!

We could! We just have to agree to meet later for sailaway drinks! 🍹 

Aug 2017 we arrived at the port around 10AM.  Checked in, waited maybe 30 minutes, then boarded.

Aug 2018 we arrive at the port around 10:45, checked in, and boarded.

Neither time were there crowds of people at the buffet, we found a spot and had a leisurely lunch and relaxed until the cabins were ready.

First cruise, in 2014, we arrive at port around noon, and THAT time, everything was crowded.  But we managed.

For our next cruise, I think we will plan on arriving at the port 10:30 - 11.

BTW, all the above were on Grandeur out of Baltimore.