Boarding later to avoid lines

Cruising on Adventure OTS on 2/2 out of Port Everglades. We have a 5:30 pm departure. I am not a big fan of standing in lines or the hurry up and wait routine. I would love to walk into the cruise terminal, no line at security, no line at check in, walk on and go straight to my cabin to drop a bag. What time should I arrive at the port?

I just sailed Harmony at Christmas.  It was at full capacity.  The lines were short and they were fully stafffed.  I couldn’t believe how fast they got us through for having thousands of people to process that day   

I usually arrive around 2pm. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to wait in line or sit at the terminal. Normally we are able walk up to the next available agent and then proceed to the ship without standing in lines. Best part is that staterooms are ready and the mob of people with their carry on clogging the buffet and other public areas has died down. 

We are always at the pier early, usually around 11:00. We like to get on the ship to enjoy our first day. The line at that time is usually not very long. Once on the ship I like to hang out on the upper decks and watch what's going on down on the pier, loading supplies and luggage for example. I have noticed that once the initial rush of early arrivers has made it through the boarding process, the flow of people decreases dramatically. From my experience watching people board, I would say that between 1:00 and 2:00 is the time that there are the fewest people boarding.

32 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

I'm to antsy to wait.  If I have somewhere to go, I want to get there as early as possible.  We enjoy getting on the ship ASAP and seldom spend much time waiting in line (which I also hate).

I’m with you!  Embarkation day is day one of my cruise and I want to enjoy every minute of it.  We’re usually at the terminal at 10:30.  We’ll go to the Windjammer, then go the dining room to find our table, then find a relaxing place to have a cocktail and people watch.  Before you know it, the rooms are ready.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Cruising on Adventure OTS on 2/2 out of Port Everglades. We have a 5:30 pm departure. I am not a big fan of standing in lines or the hurry up and wait routine. I would love to walk into the cruise terminal, no line at security, no line at check in, walk on and go straight to my cabin to drop a bag. What time should I arrive at the port?

boarding typically begins  by 11 am.  Cabins will not be  available until 1 pm.  Plan accordingly

8 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

After 2pm should be less crowded.

4 minutes ago, Lamar Cheeks said:

Oh, I thought they just wanted to avoid the lines ... wasn't sure if they wanted to get on the ship or not.  My bad :)

Was thinking they just wanted a good place to stand to watch it sail away.................

Our last cruise on NCL Getaway in June 2018 was the first time we took our time.

We got to Port Everglades around 1:30p and walked straight through.

Total time from walking in the port to on the ship: maybe 15 min.

In 84 days we will do the exact same thing. 🙂

I actually PREFER to stand in lines because it provides me some entertainment, watching hangry people light off at the crowds, get mad at family members, and complain a lot. We just get on board, chill, avoid lunch at windjammer, and head to the solarium right away where it's always not crowded.

I'm undecided, but was considering the same thing, but I know realistically I will be anxious to get on board.  I just through it would be cool to be able to not check your luggage and carry it right on board and drop it off in your stateroom.

Not sure what I will do, but can anyone give a guess as to how long the Windjammer stays open for lunch if I do decide to go a bit later.

47 minutes ago, JosieCat-MN said:

I'm undecided, but was considering the same thing, but I know realistically I will be anxious to get on board.  I just through it would be cool to be able to not check your luggage and carry it right on board and drop it off in your stateroom.

Not sure what I will do, but can anyone give a guess as to how long the Windjammer stays open for lunch if I do decide to go a bit later.

Windjammer should be open until just before the Muster drill.

2 hours ago, Lamar Cheeks said:

Oh, I thought they just wanted to avoid the lines ... wasn't sure if they wanted to get on the ship or not.  My bad 🙂

Lol. I got your original joke. 

I knew some people wouldn’t get it. 

10 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Lol. I got your original joke. 

I knew some people wouldn’t get it. 

I got it also, but the OP is obviously a new cruiser.  It would be nice to be a bit more helpful to our new members, don't you think?  Instead of the alternative.  :classic_dry:

39 minutes ago, island lady said:

I got it also, but the OP is obviously a new cruiser.  It would be nice to be a bit more helpful to our new members, don't you think?  Instead of the alternative.  :classic_dry:

The OP has been a member for almost five years.  How long is the newbie status?

2 hours ago, fischymom said:

I'm in the other group, I want to start my vaca and get on board as early as I can to enjoy people watching and things being loaded on to the ship.

I'm with you.  I want my vacation to start ASAP !

We usually get to the port by 10am. The longest we had to wait was 45 minuets and that was only once. I’m with the camp that wants to start vacay right away. T minus 16 days until next vacation.

• Like 1