“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

Bob, what’s your opinion of Oceania, how are you finding it? 

Really enjoying your pics and commentary - thank you 🙂

In short, they have exceeded my expectations.   I find the level of service rendered by the crew to be the equal of the only “all-inclusive” line I have sailed on previously, Crystal.  And if you are familiar with that line, you know that is a great compliment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bob brown said:

In short, they have exceeded my expectations.   I find the level of service rendered by the crew to be the equal of the only “all-inclusive” line I have sailed on previously, Crystal.  And if you are familiar with that line, you know that is a great compliment.

It is and I am very pleased you are enjoying it!

3 hours ago, cdoughtyrae said:

Meet Puddy my ATW travel mate.

Puddy's boyfriend, Titan, will be traveling around the world with her! His adventures will be chronicled in a hospital newsletter. 

There is a real Titan...he's a 3 yr old German Shepherd who's the security dog at the hospital where I just retired from. He's adorable and we loved having him visit our unit. The hospital made these stuffed Titans and asked employees to take one on vacation, then send his adventures to be shared with all employees. 

Hopefully Puddy and Titan will have a memorable vacation!  :classic_biggrin:

20190114_103044.jpg

20190114_103121.jpg

• Like 4

We took Boca, the pelican, on ATW16 and posted the pictures home so that the Munchkin could see them.  Then I made a Shutterfly book of A-Z (yes, we either visited ports or countries with covering the alphabet, Australia, Beijing, Cape Town) of those pictures with Boca in them. 

"I" was Insignia so Boca was at Terrace, on the treadmill at the gym, on deck 10, at tea, at Horizons with a glass, etc. 

Lots of fun things to do with a stuffed critter....it's just remembering to take it with you when you leave the ship!  And to be respectful of where Boca was placed for pictures.

33 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Puddy's boyfriend, Titan, will be traveling around the world with her! His adventures will be chronicled in a hospital newsletter. 

There is a real Titan...he's a 3 yr old German Shepherd who's the security dog at the hospital where I just retired from. He's adorable and we loved having him visit our unit. The hospital made these stuffed Titans and asked employees to take one on vacation, then send his adventures to be shared with all employees. 

Hopefully Puddy and Titan will have a memorable vacation!  :classic_biggrin:

20190114_103044.jpg

20190114_103121.jpg

Titan is adorable and I am a sucker for dogs! My grand puppy Paisley is a cocker and we always wished she could sail with us and be a doggy ambassador 😉

I look forward to Titan and Puddy’s adventures with you.

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

Ilsun...very interesting pics of Havana. Gotta love those beautiful cars from the 50s.  Thanks!!

Purdy and Titan make quite a pair.  Should make some great friends around the world:)  Cbb, I remember Boca's pics around the world.  Your book for the munchkin sounds really cute.

• Like 1

How many times do we have to ask people who are responding to a post with lots of photos TO DELETE THEM?

I don't want to sound cranky, but they take up lots of bandwidth when you are answering, and it's a lot of scrolling down time for those of us who are reading at the list.

It really isn't that hard to delete the photos after they have been posted the first time!

I'm not the first to ask this ...

This is going to be a VERY LONG thread, and it's to everyone's interest not to repeat things that don't need to be repeated!  If a reader missed the photos the first time, they can always go back to see them.

As I said, I know I sound cranky ... but I AM getting there!  I want to read all your posts but I don't want to have to scroll through so many photos when I've already seen them.  I know I'm not alone because others have said the same thing before me.

We aren't going to be doing a 6 month cruise so I am very interested in what you all have to say ...

Mura

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

How many passengers are doing the full world cruise?  When I did one on Crystal, the number of full worlders was rather small, around 200 out of 960.  The one major complaint on Crystal was that they felt it was a two class system, pitting the full worlders against the segmenters.  On two cruises where I only did segments, I never felt I was treated any different from anyone else.  But there seems to be a very vocal minority who felt they were treated like second class citizens if they only did segments. 

I’m so happy to follow the daily stories of these wonderful travelers.  Have a fantastic cruise!!!!! 

40 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

How many passengers are doing the full world cruise?  When I did one on Crystal, the number of full worlders was rather small, around 200 out of 960.  The one major complaint on Crystal was that they felt it was a two class system, pitting the full worlders against the segmenters.  On two cruises where I only did segments, I never felt I was treated any different from anyone else.  But there seems to be a very vocal minority who felt they were treated like second class citizens if they only did segments. 

We were in that situation and definitely felt like second class citizens. Whether it was because we were segmenters or Crystal newbies I do not know nor do I think it made any difference to us - we were not comfortable and that is all mattered to us.

I seem to recall posts to this effect regarding the first Oceania RTW cruise in 2016.  In fact, I think the comments came from CBB who was one of the RTWers ... It's understandable, I think, that people doing the whole trip will bond ...but that doesn't mean shorter-term passengers should be neglected.

I'll never be on one of these 6 months cruises so I'm just saying what I THINK I saw before.

And this is not to criticize CBB!  As I recall she was reporting what she heard/saw on that cruise.

Since I know that Paul is a very reasonable passenger (!), his comments about his Crystal experience should let cruise lines be aware that when they have this very long cruise options -- they need to treat shorter-termers as first class passengers as well.  They are also paying enough for the privilege!

Mura

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mura said:

should let cruise lines be aware that when they have this very long cruise options -- they need to treat shorter-termers as first class passengers as well.  They are also paying enough for the privilege!

Seems like you may be misstating Pauls' position Mura;  I believe that it was his fellow Crystal passengers who caused the problem, not the cruise line.  

Very true!  I didn't mean to state it that way.  But perhaps the lines should be aware that these problems can arise and somehow try to deal with them beforehand.

Maybe that isn't possible!  People being people.

Mura

I am in a sort of “mixed” position...

What I mean by that is, while I am on a full world cruise, I am  also a “newbie”, first timer on Oceania.

My impression is that Oceania is treating all of its passengers very well.  I believe the segment passengers are receiving the same high level of service they would be receiving on a non world cruise.

However, those on the full world cruise are receiving some additional benefits, such as exclusive private parties, ATW logo items, and some special shore excursions, etc.  While those not included in these might be resentful, they should understand that Oceania is rewarding ATW passengers for their rather large investment on a vacation of a lifetime.  That really is no different then the extra perks that suite or high loyalty status passengers receive.

As far as relation’s between the two groups of passengers go, from what I experienced, it makes no difference at all.

I have made friends from my Cruise Critic affiliation, from those attending solo gatherings, from ATW parties, and from participating in all the on board games. We embrace all....doesn’t matter at all how far people are going.  JMHO...

• Like 4

Actaully it was a little bit of both - passengers and staff. We found most people standoffish (if there s such a word) and staff not welcoming.

For example, on our first visit in a specialty restaurant we were the first people in but got seated at a very poor table in a wide open restaurant. We should have said something but were “newbies” to Crystal. They tried the very same thing next time we visited that restaurant but we didn’t let them get away with it. There is no reason they should have treated us like that.

There were other instances but this is not the thread for that.

We had perfect weather again for out Havana call.  I took a morning 3 hour highlights bus tour, and then walked around the old city in the afternoon.

After dinner, was invited to a combination engagement/birthday party up in Horizons, and so missed the “Gatsby” show in the Lounge.  However, it will be repeated later in the cruise.

Wednesday, will be our second CC meet at 11:00 AM, for the benefit of those that boarded at Miami.

DC841471-64AE-49F7-B76D-3962472567DC.jpeg

DC8D12BF-F814-4E8A-AC6B-3396E97C66E8.jpeg

6D0FC52D-E5DC-4883-A213-AE3B16655E69.jpeg

0A0A4BCE-571C-49A0-B27F-FA6D35CF394A.jpeg

4E70AF3B-AB16-4B26-BF75-6A491713E60F.jpeg

4498D03B-7FE4-4970-A931-2EF16B95A0EB.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BulldustHHH said:

So Bob... your former trivia team mates want to know ... have you formed a new trivia team?

~Mike & Terri

Yes...wish you guys were here😉

It’s good to hear from you!

Thanks for “following” me, and I hope to meet you again on another cruise.🙂

Edited by bob brown

4 hours ago, Mura said:

How many times do we have to ask people who are responding to a post with lots of photos TO DELETE THEM?

The easy way to quote with the new cruise critic forum software is to highlight the text you want to quote. A "Quote selection" option pops up nearby, simply click on that. Easy as can be. Note that you rarely have to quote an entire post and you never, never have to quote a photo.

Sorry, I am a grouch. I love reading about the Oceania world cruise, wish I were aboard. Thanks for the thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1