Would you Treat Yourself? - 2 Interior to JS

LuCruise

The usual dilemma.  We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.  For March 2020, we have 2 connection interior rooms (virtual balcony) on Anthem. I'm always monitoring prices and checking for different options and we can switch to a Junior Suite for $1700 more (if we switch to non-refundable).  What I just realized is that some JS have a sofa bed and Pullman and 1.5 bathrooms, so we would go for one of these.  This is very tempting.

Pros

• 14 crown & anchor points vs 7 points
  • with prices on Oasis ships, this is probably the only time we'd have a chance to try a Junior Suite (current pricing on Oasis class is $1600-$4100 more)
  • we'd get an actual balcony versus a screen showing the outside
  • a chance to try Coastal Kitchen for dinner (if space)
  • balcony is large (vs regular balcony rooms)

Cons

• its $1700 more, which could be put towards flight, excursions, other cruises (or other life things)
  • Anthem sails out of NY.  Thus although we'd get a balcony, not sure how often we could go on it for 1st and 2nd days (and on return days) as it probably will be cold
  • if we switched, we'd do non-refundable which is a risk when cruise is more than a year away

Neutral

• We'd be going from 2 full bathrooms to 1.5 bathrooms, but my younger one still has a bit of help showering so doesn't save us that much time/space losing a shower (although in a year maybe she will be 100% independent)

Always like hearing other people's feedback.  Would you switch?  

Edited by LuCruise

I saw the prices on AN and thought about upgrading one of our 2 rooms on that cruise to the HS but in the end decided it was still too much considering that we are not in the cabin enough and certainly would not get use of the larger balcony for many days.  No way I would consider it with 4.

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

My understanding is it is not 1.5 baths, it is a split bathroom.  One area has a tub, stand up shower and sink, other has a toilet and sink.  We have one of these JS in 2 weeks, I can take a few pictures if you want.

Yes...from searching up the room number, that that is what the bathrooms are like.  Thank you!  That would be great to see.  Have an amazing cruise!

For us, we stay in all different room configurations so staying in one room doesn't bother us.  Then again, we have 2 connecting rooms next summer on Navigator so maybe we'll love this and never want to go back.  Only thing is our kids are getting older (they'll be 14 and 10 next March...but neither not far from birthdays) so they do need their own bed space.  So sharing a sofa bed is coming to an end (unless the sofa bed is like Harmony where they each get their own mattress).  

Bob...yeah, it is a lot.  With escalating prices, especially on Oasis, not sure we'll get a chance again (and JS on Voyager/Freedom class isn't the same).  

Ken, yes.  And we actually have an amazing price for 2 rooms (even if interior) on Anthem.  Guess all around, even though it's march break, it's still cold out of NY which brings better prices.  Think I remember you saying you have 2 obs balconies?  Very true too...we aren't in the rooms much, and with kids we won't be spending too much time on the balcony.  But we got a taste of one on Mariner last summer and we really loved sitting out there first thing in the morning or while waiting for others when getting ready for dinner.  Think the double points and coastal kitchen though are the main factors.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

1-  Too much price increase

2-  Nice to have the balcony but honestly we had JS the past four cruises and I don't think we ever spent even 40 minutes total time in the entire week on that balcony.  I don't know how old your children are but if they are young, I would hesitate getting a balcony, its just the way I am too scared lol.  When I cruised with my two children years ago lol, we always have gotten the two interiors its nice having two full bathrooms.  

3-  The JS will give you a large closet and many more drawers but you get the same storage with having two interiors

4-  If one child wants to watch one program and the other something else you have two tv's.

5-  Its just nice having your privacy and not rushing a schedule who will get dressed first and for how long.

6-  I am 5'7" and find the tub to be a issue getting in and out as I have back problems, its a high tub.

7-  Coastal kitchen you will not be able to have breakfast or lunch there and you are allowed to have dinner but its on availability and I never seen children there so unsure whether they are allowed.

8-  If you get the JS with the sofa bed you be limited on places to sit.

Honestly, save the money and use that for other expenses on the ship such as beverage/drink packages, tips, etc.  Two rooms is always better than one.

Normally, my advice would’ve been to save the money and cruise as affordably as possible. But for our last cruise (on MSC), I priced out a suite, and even though the price more than doubled, it was within what I was willing to pay for that cruise. Long story short, we don’t regret it one bit. We had an absolutely amazing cruise GREATLY enhanced by our choice in accommodations. We found ourselves using our suite much more than if we had booked a regular stateroom and it was wonderful to have a quiet retreat where we could spread out, relax, and that we looked forward to, rather than dreading going back to. We still enjoyed the same activities ashore and aboard the ship as if I’d spent less for our accommodations. 

The main problem that we have now is that it completely spoiled us! We are in the process of booking our next cruise and the kids (and wife 😂) are begging for another suite. So my suggestion is: if the extra money is at hand, within what you’re willing to pay, and it won’t mean sacrificing other activities, absolutely do it! But If spending this money will affect your enjoyment of other things, then I wouldn’t be as inclined to do it. 

• Like 1

I LOVE balconies, but for that price, I wouldn't switch, especially during a cold weather month out of NY. Watch the prices, perhaps they will come down between now and your final payment date.

Just want to mention that Anthem is a Quantum Class ship, not Oasis. Not sure if that's a thing that matters to you.

Eeyore

28 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

For us, we stay in all different room configurations so staying in one room doesn't bother us.  Then again, we have 2 connecting rooms next summer on Navigator so maybe we'll love this and never want to go back.  Only thing is our kids are getting older (they'll be 14 and 10 next March...but neither not far from birthdays) so they do need their own bed space.  So sharing a sofa bed is coming to an end (unless the sofa bed is like Harmony where they each get their own mattress).  

Bob...yeah, it is a lot.  With escalating prices, especially on Oasis, not sure we'll get a chance again (and JS on Voyager/Freedom class isn't the same).  

Ken, yes.  And we actually have an amazing price for 2 rooms (even if interior) on Anthem.  Guess all around, even though it's march break, it's still cold out of NY which brings better prices.  Think I remember you saying you have 2 obs balconies?  Very true too...we aren't in the rooms much, and with kids we won't be spending too much time on the balcony.  But we got a taste of one on Mariner last summer and we really loved sitting out there first thing in the morning or while waiting for others when getting ready for dinner.  Think the double points and coastal kitchen though are the main factors.

With our D discount on the balconies they were less than $100 more per cabin than an inside so getting the insides was never really an option for us.  We are just over $1900 CDN per balcony.

I wouldn't do it either.  Two interiors would give you more of your own space and you will have two full bathrooms rather than just having now with a shower/bathtub.  Not sure how young your kids are, but the bathtubs in jr suites are high so I would be worried about them tripping over the siding of the tub.  Coastal kitchen would be upon availability so it is not guaranteed that you would get into it.  You don't get access with it in interiors, but you would not even notice.  The only benefit of the balcony may be to clip bathing suits onto the chairs to dry them, I promise you really don't send time on it.  In the end, you have the same amount of storage as you would have two interiors.  $1700 is too much for the upgrade, don't waste money here so you can have more money to cruise another time.  If you you really wanted a suite, I would splurge on sky or preferably star class over sea where you don't really get amenities.   

39 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

2-  Nice to have the balcony but honestly we had JS the past four cruises and I don't think we ever spent even 40 minutes total time in the entire week on that balcony.  I don't know how old your children are but if they are young, I would hesitate getting a balcony, its just the way I am too scared lol.  When I cruised with my two children years ago lol, we always have gotten the two interiors its nice having two full bathrooms.  

3-  The JS will give you a large closet and many more drawers but you get the same storage with having two interiors

4-  If one child wants to watch one program and the other something else you have two tv's.

5-  Its just nice having your privacy and not rushing a schedule who will get dressed first and for how long.

6-  I am 5'7" and find the tub to be a issue getting in and out as I have back problems, its a high tub.

7-  Coastal kitchen you will not be able to have breakfast or lunch there and you are allowed to have dinner but its on availability and I never seen children there so unsure whether they are allowed.

Honestly, save the money and use that for other expenses on the ship such as beverage/drink packages, tips, etc.  Two rooms is always better than one.

2.  Our kids will be 14 and 10 next March, but for that reason, we wouldn't book 2 balconies.  One balcony I'm good with as they wouldn't go out there alone.  

3.  Haven't been on Anthem yet, but from our experience on Allure and Mariner, there has always been lots of closet and drawer space so storage space isn't really a concern....but still, good point.

4.  Funny enough, our son who is tv-obsessed was just talking about our upcoming Symphony cruise (where btw we have a single boardwalk room).  He commented how the hotel night pre-cruise will be his last 'good' tv night as he knows the cruise ship tv channels are very limited.  Lots of symphony there...lol.  

6.  Good to know...didn't think about how it changes the shower.  

7.  Yeah i've heard how coastal kitchen dinner is only on availability (and dinner only).  Not worth $1700 alone but nice to try some time to see all the fuss.

Edited by LuCruise

36 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

You are talking about a JS on an Oasis class ship, not a JS on a Quantum class ship.  

34 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

I LOVE balconies, but for that price, I wouldn't switch, especially during a cold weather month out of NY. Watch the prices, perhaps they will come down between now and your final payment date.

Just want to mention that Anthem is a Quantum Class ship, not Oasis. Not sure if that's a thing that matters to you.

Eeyore

Yes thanks.  Sorry my posts are confusing sometimes.  I know Anthem is Quantum, but guess in terms of a Junior Suite being worth it, its more on Oasis (where we have a 2 cruises booked) and Quantum.  These are also the ones where we have 7 nights vs 4 nights for the advantage of doubling points.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With our D discount on the balconies they were less than $100 more per cabin than an inside so getting the insides was never really an option for us.  We are just over $1900 CDN per balcony.

How ironic.  Too bad you're forced to book 2 balconies over 2 interiors...lol.

13 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

I wouldn't do it either.  Two interiors would give you more of your own space and you will have two full bathrooms rather than just having now with a shower/bathtub.  Not sure how young your kids are, but the bathtubs in jr suites are high so I would be worried about them tripping over the siding of the tub.  Coastal kitchen would be upon availability so it is not guaranteed that you would get into it.  You don't get access with it in interiors, but you would not even notice.  The only benefit of the balcony may be to clip bathing suits onto the chairs to dry them, I promise you really don't send time on it.  In the end, you have the same amount of storage as you would have two interiors.  $1700 is too much for the upgrade, don't waste money here so you can have more money to cruise another time.  If you you really wanted a suite, I would splurge on sky or preferably star class over sea where you don't really get amenities.   

With 4 of us in a stateroom, the Sky or those higher classes are only in our dreams.

Having said that, we've started cruising more regularly (7 night for march break, 4 night end of the summer) so would rather cruise more often then less often in a nicer stateroom as those are quite a bite in the budget.  They look really nice though.

PS - DH and I did get the suite experience on Independence as we had the Ben & Jerry room.  So had access to suite lounge before dinner got extra goodies before dinner, etc.  Was very nice.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Of course children are allowed in Coastal Kitchen.

You can still sit on the sofabed.  It's only made up as a bed with evening turn-down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

2.  Our kids will be 14 and 10 next March, but for that reason, we wouldn't book 2 balconies.  One balcony I'm good with as they wouldn't go out there alone.  

3.  Haven't been on Anthem yet, but from our experience on Allure and Mariner, there has always been lots of closet and drawer space so storage space isn't really a concern....but still, good point.

4.  Funny enough, our son who is tv-obsessed was just talking about our upcoming Symphony cruise (where btw we have a single boardwalk room).  He commented how the hotel night pre-cruise will be his last 'good' tv night as he knows the cruise ship tv channels are very limited.  Lots of symphony there...lol.  

6.  Good to know...didn't think about how it changes the shower.  

7.  Yeah i've heard how coastal kitchen dinner is only on availability (and dinner only).  Not worth $1700 alone but nice to try some time to see all the fuss.

My kids were 14 and 10 this past summer on Harmony.  We got two balconies for it and it was wonderful for them to have their own space.  It also made getting ready much easier.  As they are older, they would be more independent, making it okay for them to have freedom in their own stateroom.  With that info, I would definitely go with the two interiors! I completely understand the whole sky and star class thing, they get really expensive really fast.  Enjoy your cruise!

One way I always like to think about it is in terms of the daily cost and value. $1700 more for a 7-night cruise ~= $243 per night (or about $61 per person, per night). Is that worth it to you? It wouldn't be to me, but I'm frugal 😉

I think you will also have more space with two interiors (2 x 166 sq ft vs. 267 sq ft, I think? Not counting the balcony). The added privacy and 2 bathrooms have already been mentioned...less chance of having to wait to use the toilet 🙂

If you switch to a non-refundable deposit, you might have to spend even more money if you want/need to buy trip cancellation insurance (e.g. if your credit card doesn't offer it).

30 minutes ago, B&J_Pgh said:

on this class would the full bathroom have a tub?  That maybe a great additional benefit

From video i just watched on 9210, one bathroom is just sink and toilet.  Other is toilet with tub/shower.