HARMONY SHOW RESERVATIONS FULL! HELP!

tewkewl

2 hours ago, tewkewl said:

Yeah because you're used to the system and you may have different needs.  That's a pretty horrible system for people who want to decide daily when to eat and which show to watch.  We don't want the show to dictate our schedule.  If it was just me and my wife that would be fine, but we have a one year old as well, so this sort of pre-planning doesn't work well for us.

Just don't go on Royal's Oasis or Quantum classes.  Royal's other classes have fewer passengers, so they can handle the theater shows using the traditional two performances each evening.  

31 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Just don't go on Royal's Oasis or Quantum classes.  Royal's other classes have fewer passengers, so they can handle the theater shows using the traditional two performances each evening.  

I wish I had known! 

1 hour ago, JCDCA said:

What system would you suggest?  Making reservations for shows is required on a ship of this size, unless you think they should have built a 6,000 seat theatre for Grease.  Making a few plans ahead of time should not really be this big an issue. 

No.  I would have all shows be twice a day every day at an afternoon time and an evening time.  The theater sits empty.  Why should it?  If there are 6600 passengers, a system that allows passengers flexibility would suffice.

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Here is a little known secret, but once I post it here, I guess the cat will be out of the bag..

On Harmony, if you want to see Fine Line and Hideaway Heist without reservations, go to deck 7 and walk all the way aft.  Go through the glass door, and you will be on the balcony above the show.  There are a few lounge chairs there, so if you get there 20 minutes, or so, before show time, you can get them.

Here are a couple scopes I did of parts of the shows from that vantage point in November.

Fine Line

https://www.pscp.tv/w/buIlDTEzNzU1Mzc5fDFtbnhlT0RtTnZBR1jfDJX7OaNnf2PiyDz_K1FSlmrOptjkFLUhobq7xlgvkQ==

Hideaway Heist

https://www.pscp.tv/w/buIkxjEzNzU1Mzc5fDFPeUpBeVJ6TVJuSmJ4AQKsH9bFMx8iX83J3SzmeOeGxEjQbsHJ4E7S2tmnWg==

Genius! Thanks!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tewkewl said:

No.  I would have all shows be twice a day every day at an afternoon time and an evening time.  The theater sits empty.  Why should it?  If there are 6600 passengers, a system that allows passengers flexibility would suffice.

Many of the performers work in 2 shows.  Also 3-4 days are port days. What you suggest is not possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pilot said:

The first time we were on Oasis many years ago, our great travel agent told us about making reservations for the shows a few months before our cruise left.  It’s too bad yours didn’t. That’s what they get paid for. Also, as previously posted, someone on your roll call will post when the reservations open up. 

Try to make your reservations when you get on the ship. If they are not available just go to the standby line early. You will get in. It’s really no big deal. Enjoy your cruise. 

We booked a montg before the cruise.  Did not realize people were this hypnotized by cruising that they would book so early! Oh well.

FYI, on the Harmony there aren't any reservations needed for Hideaway Heist which is usually performed on a sea day afternoon.

Also, on the Harmony you needed a reservation for the main ice skating show 1887 but there was another skating show maybe it was i-skate? that you could just show up for.   We also enjoyed live music in the Boot and Bonnet Pub and nightly music in the dance club.

8 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

We booked a montg before the cruise.  Did not realize people were this hypnotized by cruising that they would book so early! Oh well.

Not all people; just people who want to sail on the biggest ships.  The bigger the ship is, the more regimentation is needed to make things work.  However, Royal Caribbean still has 18 ships that are Freedom Class or smaller.  My wife and I limit ourselves to those smaller ships so we do not have to worry about the regimentation.  There are a few other ways to avoid the regimentation but they either take many years or are costly (or both).  People who are Crown & Anchor Pinnacle members or who are in Sky Class or better suites do not need reservations, except for the comedy clubs.  Subject to availability, people can also purchase "The Key" and get priority seating and other benefits, again except for comedy clubs.  It is possible that you may still be able to purchase The Key but that too is expensive (up to $700 for a family of 4 on a 7-night cruise) and it usually sells out on the big ships.  The only solution that isn't a budget-buster is to sail on one of those 18 smaller ships.

4 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Not all people; just people who want to sail on the biggest ships.  The bigger the ship is, the more regimentation is needed to make things work.  However, Royal Caribbean still has 18 ships that are Freedom Class or smaller.  My wife and I limit ourselves to those smaller ships so we do not have to worry about the regimentation.  There are a few other ways to avoid the regimentation but they either take many years or are costly (or both).  People who are Crown & Anchor Pinnacle members or who are in Sky Class or better suites do not need reservations, except for the comedy clubs.  Subject to availability, people can also purchase "The Key" and get priority seating and other benefits, again except for comedy clubs.  It is possible that you may still be able to purchase The Key but that too is expensive (up to $700 for a family of 4 on a 7-night cruise) and it usually sells out on the big ships.  The only solution that isn't a budget-buster is to sail on one of those 18 smaller ships.

Good to know.  I guess for royal newbies like me, we just look at the marketing and think "wow, what a great ship!" We we're deciding between a cruise and a resort.  We decided on the cruise because the cost per day was lower while still allowing for shows and pools and meals included.  Oh well.

23 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

FYI, on the Harmony there aren't any reservations needed for Hideaway Heist which is usually performed on a sea day afternoon.

Also, on the Harmony you needed a reservation for the main ice skating show 1887 but there was another skating show maybe it was i-skate? that you could just show up for.   We also enjoyed live music in the Boot and Bonnet Pub and nightly music in the dance club.

Thanks for the tip!  I think my so. Would like seeing the ice skating show! In fact, we got him ear muffs to protect his ears during the shows!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

Good to know.  I guess for royal newbies like me, we just look at the marketing and think "wow, what a great ship!" We we're deciding between a cruise and a resort.  We decided on the cruise because the cost per day was lower while still allowing for shows and pools and meals included.  Oh well.

The cost per day is usually lower on a cruise.  However, I think of those Oasis-Class ships as the Walt Disney World of cruising. If you are vacationing at WDW and you wish to dine in Cinderella's Castle, you had better make reservations the moment they open-up, 6 months in advance.  Similarly, if you want to get on the most popular rides without having to spend 3-5 hours waiting in line, you had better get a Fast Pass the moment they open up (and you may still not be able to get Avatar Flight of Passage unless you get priority by booking at least 3 nights in an on-site hotel).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tewkewl said:

We book early to get the best price and the best cabins. I think the majority of people book their vacations more than a month in advance. You snooze, you lose.

• Like 1

It use to be you could get good deals if you booked after final payment date for a cruise.  Now, it seems the earlier you book, the better the price.  I have been tracking prices for a cruise we have coming up in July.  We booked it a year ago, and prices have never been cheaper than when we booked.

Booking only a month out, and your selections on everything is limited.  We are looking at booking our 2020 cruises now.

4 hours ago, actuarian said:

The cost per day is usually lower on a cruise.  However, I think of those Oasis-Class ships as the Walt Disney World of cruising. If you are vacationing at WDW and you wish to dine in Cinderella's Castle, you had better make reservations the moment they open-up, 6 months in advance.  Similarly, if you want to get on the most popular rides without having to spend 3-5 hours waiting in line, you had better get a Fast Pass the moment they open up (and you may still not be able to get Avatar Flight of Passage unless you get priority by booking at least 3 nights in an on-site hotel).

I like your analogy, especially since we're gearing up for a trip to WDW in March! FWIW, our FP window opened a few days ago and I was able to get FPs for Flight of Passage on day 4 at 4:05PM. Making reservations for shows and specialty restaurants on Allure and Harmony was a piece of cake compared to planning a trip to WDW these days!

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 1

I understand it’s frustrating when you realize it’s too late to book reservations.  We missed out on the escape room on Symphony because we missed it when they opened it up.  Randomly as they often do with various entertainment options.  We went straight to reservations when we got on board at 11 and it was full for the whole week except for one or two spots here or there.

I am a planner (my friends have nicknamed me Scout because in their mind I’m always prepared. I don’t love the name because it sounds like a dog name. But I do love dogs so I guess I shouldn’t complain. But I digress). 

Prior to maybe a couple years ago when RC started opening up reservations for dining and entertainment no earlier than 90 days out I was  frustrated because I felt those of who booked and planned ahead should be allowed to book those reservations when we booked our room.

In a perfect world RC would be more more clear and consistent about when dining and entertainment would be open  for reservations.  I still don’t understand why they are so random in opening up reservations for various things. 

Sorry you missed the pre-boarding reservations. I wish you luck getting into the shows and have a great cruise!  The Harmony is a fantastic ship.  At least no one can prebook the slides!

Edited by cindivan

17 hours ago, tewkewl said:

The performers already work 7 days per week on multiple performances plus they do rehearsals and need time to train. You're asking the impossible. 

2 hours ago, rbschultz said:

The performers already work 7 days per week on multiple performances plus they do rehearsals and need time to train. You're asking the impossible. 

Matinees are played by a different cast.  What's the problem?  This is how other Broadway shows function.

17 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

Matinees are played by a different cast.  What's the problem?  This is how other Broadway shows function.

There are only so many crew cabins available.  The cruise lines would rather sell another cabin to a customer than house a crew member.

I can understand your frustration about having to make reservations in advance.  We have done essentially 3 cruises on Oasis class ships and that is my least liked activity.  I was kind of releived when my wife suggested we take a break from Oasis class ships.  This was after we did the Harmony and then two Enchantment cruises last year.  We enjoyed the ability to make things up as we went along.

I like the analogy to Disney World.  We used to go 4 or 5 times a year.  Besides the hotel reserverations we did not have to make plans in advance for dinner etc.  Nowadays you have to make dinner reservations much earlier.  We

• Like 1

As I previously posted we got off Harmony on the 27th and are now on Regal Princess (Harmony is docked next to us in Jamaica). We cruise Princess a lot, and you wouldn’t like their show seating either. There are no reservations. We show up 1 hour before showtime, but never later than 45 minutes. At 30 minutes prior it can be difficult to find seats together and at 15 minutes almost impossible. Overall RCCL’s reservation system works pretty fairly for 6000 pax. 

OP  I think your anger over not being able to make reservations for the shows you want is basically your own fault for not booking sooner.  It's kind of like wanting to go to a popular restaurant and deciding on Saturday afternoon  that you want reservations for that night.  Would you be upset that they were full or that reservations for that night were closed out?

I don't know how you decided to book this cruise, but a bit of research would certainly have helped.  Your suggestions for the shows wouldn't work because some people in the shows play more than one part and there aren't extra actors/actresses as understudies.  Although the entertainment is great, shows have been cancelled because of illness of one or two people in a show.  There is no second group of actors for a matinee such as may be off the ship.

I can't see how a ship the size of any Oasis class can just have people show up when they feel like it as the lines would be horrendous and I could see the reaction when 3000 people wanted to see a show the same night  and were all in line for a location that holds 200.  Additionally, the theater is not empty all week except for the show times.  There are events that take place there as well as other areas of the ship.

I hope that when you get onboard you will enjoy your cruise even though at this time it sure doesn't seem that you will. Harmony is a great ship and there is a lot to do/see onboard.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mondas42 said:

We are on Harmony in July, currently on the cruise planner, the entertainment section is blank. Roughly when can I expect to see the shows appear so I can make some reservations?

Unfortunately, there is no "roughly".  Reservations appear at seemingly random times.  Just keep checking.

• Like 1