Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

7 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Yes, I stand on the sidelines on many issues.  Including this about a chair.   That’s because I don’t feel strongly on the controversy.   And, I just want to offer options to those kind of PAXs here who feel strongly about the removal of the chair.

I will still cruise, and enjoy my cruises on Princess no matter if there is a chair or no not..   Will you?

But,  wishing you and others  good luck  in your fight with Princess.   Hope you have a successful outcome.

King

I believe the same way & seriously doubt if there more than a handful of loyal passengers that will stop sailing because of it. From scanning over this thread it appears to be the same people who are repeatedly commenting about it and after all is said & done how many of them will leave Princess?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I believe the same way & seriously doubt if there more than a handful of loyal passengers that will stop sailing because of it. From scanning over this thread it appears to be the same people who are repeatedly commenting about it and after all is said & done how many of them will leave Princess?

Not so!   I posted my email early on about my response from princess.  Later made one comment.  We are only platinum on Princess, but we have a cruise past final payment in April and we will drag in the balcony chair.  We have 3 more Princess cruises booked, 2 in a standard balcony which I am going to cancel, 1 in a deluxe balcony which we will probably take.  We are a pair of dreaded old folk, in good shape, but do need 2 chairs and will not bring our own onboard.  It is a deal breaker for us and we will just cruise more on Holland.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mustgo said:

Not so!   I posted my email early on about my response from princess.  Later made one comment.  We are only platinum on Princess, but we have a cruise past final payment in April and we will drag in the balcony chair.  We have 3 more Princess cruises booked, 2 in a standard balcony which I am going to cancel, 1 in a deluxe balcony which we will probably take.  We are a pair of dreaded old folk, in good shape, but do need 2 chairs and will not bring our own onboard.  It is a deal breaker for us and we will just cruise more on Holland.

I may very well be wrong but overall I still doubt if there are sufficient numbers to make a difference in their decision. 

They've made unpopular choices in the past & nothing changed their minds, but this may well be a different case.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I may very well be wrong but overall I still doubt if there are sufficient numbers to make a difference in their decision. 

They've made unpopular choices in the past & nothing changed their minds, but this may well be a different case.

Actually, I hope enough of them  stay away so Princess feels the need to lower their prices for a few cruises...LOL!  Seriously though, I don't care one way or another.  I am usually in my cabin to sleep, or shower and change...unless I'm on the balcony taking in the view...all other time is spent wandering the incredible ships I've known to love, called the Princess Fleet!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I pointed out earlier, the chair issue is only one of the many reductions to the cruise experience that Princess has introduced in the last few years.  We have made the move and booked on X for September.  We will wait until the last day before final payment to cancel payment on B2B 25 day cruise aboard the Emerald in October just to show our frustration with PCL.  Let them make a last minute deal to someone.  We have several FCCs but will be very selective on how we use them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Actually, I hope enough of them  stay away so Princess feels the need to lower their prices for a few cruises...LOL!  Seriously though, I don't care one way or another.  I am usually in my cabin to sleep, or shower and change...unless I'm on the balcony taking in the view...all other time is spent wandering the incredible ships I've known to love, called the Princess Fleet!!!

You may very well be right. 😄 I'm looking for the fantastic deals in the near future due to everyone backing out of their trips. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The lack of adequate seating on Princess has long been a matter of concern to me. this is the reason we only book deluxe balconies or above on Princess or on other lines that have both sofas and chairs in rooms. I have been comparing X and HAL and it looks like our May cruise on Regal will be our last with Princess including the one booked for next year which I will cancel. Sad.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

You may very well be right. 😄 I'm looking for the fantastic deals in the near future due to everyone backing out of their trips. 

If indeed, there will be a lot of cancellations, you’d better look at future sailings, as I doubt people will be cancelling after final payment. I am on the fence regarding our October Regal sailing & will wait until closer to final payment to decide. My other option is to bite the bullet and hope for a last minute deal to upgrade to a room with enough seating after final.

21 minutes ago, senior lady said:

Looks like there might be some deals coming up......... with everyone cancelling their cruises because of no chair in the room.   Seems pretty silly to me.    All cruise lines are cutting back it seems these days.

It's pretty sad that someone can't voice an opinion without being called silly.  Maybe you haven't read the entire thread, but many have cited very good reasons for needing a place to sit in their stateroom.  If you won't miss the chair, good for you.  But others would like it - and the fact that they are upset about it isn't a cause for being ridiculed.

• Like 9

For those trying to decide if they should cancel, or thinking they should as a way to show their displeasure.  There is another option.  Take the trip and request the chair, then you can report back to us on whether the request was granted.

Princess’ position is that very few people want the chair, but those that do have been encouraged to request it when they board.  Princess would not encourage this behavior, if they will not be in a position to honor the request: that would be dishonest and very disrespectful to their passengers, especially those with pain issues.

There should be a few chairs held in reserve on each ship, so that those requests can be granted.  With a dry dock coming up, the chairs to be removed can be redistributed among the fleet, even to those ships without any chairs now.

If the very request that Princess has encouraged is denied , hopefully you have your camping chair as a backup.  Then be very careful with your onboard spending and use your savings to try another cruise line next time.  For example, you do not need to buy a drink to enjoy  the Elite snacks.  You don’t have to spend any money for coffee or tea at the International Cafe, if you trade your mini bar in for a coffee card, or bing a thermos.  

This way Princess is not initially financially rewarded for taking the chair and  being dishonest about your being able to get one when you board.  Don’t forget: their profit comes from onboard spending.  They would have preferred that you not sail, and that your cabin was booked by a new cruiser who would have spent more onboard.  Your savings add up and will go a long way towards your experiment on a new cruise line.  It is kinda fun and exciting to be learning about all the options we now have out there.

In the end, when you leave for good, Princess will get what they want: your replacement with a more desirable passenger.  But, at least you give them one more chance.

Edited by Loreni
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

It's pretty sad that someone can't voice an opinion without being called silly.  Maybe you haven't read the entire thread, but many have cited very good reasons for needing a place to sit in their stateroom.  If you won't miss the chair, good for you.  But others would like it - and the fact that they are upset about it isn't a cause for being ridiculed.

Yes, I have read the whole thread.   Just my opinion.  I find those chairs a hassle with having to move them all the time to either get out on the balcony or look out the window.   Most times they just become a "junk" collector.   As others have said, why not wait and see if passengers have gotten them back when requested.  That makes more sense to me instead of cancelling future cruises.   It would take a lot more than no barrel chair in a cabin for me to cancel.......... just my opinion

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beave8920 said:

Silly or not, if enough people cancel it only means that Princess will have to have better pricing in order to keep those cabins filled.

I say cancel NOW.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Loreni said:

For those trying to decide if they should cancel, or thinking they should as a way to show their displeasure.  There is another option.  Take the trip and request the chair, then you can report back to us on whether the request was granted.

Princess’ position is....

If your request for a chair is refused, a next step might be to go to passenger services desk and request one there. Explain that you had asked your steward who politely informed you (don't the steward getting trouble) no chairs were available. If PSD refuses, insist on registering a complaint and that it gets passed up the chain.

Edited by AZJerry
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

I also want the barrel chair in our room.  of!!  Since they are already in the cabins  I see no reason for them to be removed. So explain to me how this comes into the effect of Princess cutting cost.  Yes, if they are broken or soiled they should be removed.

4 minutes ago, Momma Mojito said:

I also want the barrel chair in our room.  of!!  Since they are already in the cabins  I see no reason for them to be removed. So explain to me how this comes into the effect of Princess cutting cost.  Yes, if they are broken or soiled they should be removed.

I don't think it has anything to do with cost cutting.  It has to do with too many people complained about not enough room and the "useless" chair was just getting in the way.  Of course, now that the chairs are being removed, others are complaining that the "Required" chair is a must for comfort.  Bottom line:  you can't please both groups so my guess is Princess will stay with the decision based on the loudest voices.  If those in the "required" group out scream those in the "useless" group, the chairs may magically reappear!  Otherwise, get used to sitting on the bed, or on the balcony, or on the floor!!  Actually, I'll just do the mini suite and sit on the couch...but you get the picture!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

We did after 32 Princess cruises!  Cancelled our 2 Princess cruises and booked 2 Celebrity Cruises for a better price and a place to sit comfortably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, louden said:

As I pointed out earlier, the chair issue is only one of the many reductions to the cruise experience that Princess has introduced in the last few years.  We have made the move and booked on X for September.  We will wait until the last day before final payment to cancel payment on B2B 25 day cruise aboard the Emerald in October just to show our frustration with PCL.  Let them make a last minute deal to someone.  We have several FCCs but will be very selective on how we use them.

After reading all these chair posts I contacted my TA as we do like/use the chair. She reported back that she spoke with several reps and they have no knowledge of chairs being removed ! 🤔

We don’t sail til 2020 ...we shall see then !

7 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Probably not enough to make a difference, no.... but I'm not switching my next cruise to make a difference to Princess, I'm switching to make a difference to my ladies.  The decision was a few things, but the chair was the final deciding factor.

I've got a 100+ group booked in for an 8 day Princess cruise next year and I was going to book us in for a Princess 13 day NZ cruise in 2022 - but because of this thread I'm moving us to Cunard instead.  My ladies are all older (60s+), and judging by the cabins booked for our 2020 cruise, they will be mostly interior and window cabins (so no option for a balcony chair to be brought in).  For some of the ladies having a chair in the cabin will be very important.

The other factors were that in 2022 we'll be on Majestic, which I don't like as much as Golden, and I'd been wanting to try the Queen Elizabeth for the old fashioned look - but hadn't had a good reason to pay the higher price.  Now I do.

Personally I don't need the chair, but I feel bad for those who do.  I'm planning another NZ cruise with just DH and I, and we'll probably go Princess because it's cheaper and the chair situation won't be an issue for us (we'd also have a balcony)... We'd have to fly to go Celebrity, so not interested in that.  Since I don't feel my booking will make any difference to the overall numbers or the decision to put the chairs back, I don't think a personal boycott would change anything.  But the chair issue has absolutely influenced my decision to book my group in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 3:56 PM, Pstcrik said:

Good on you.

It can only make PCL realize there are a lot of unhappy customers and maybe would be customers that they have effected. 

I agree.....many passengers are really unaware of this because Princess is being really sneaky and shady.  Our friends called and one of their agents had no knowledge this was even happening.  The agent insisted that all of Princess balconies had two chairs in the room.  I am also writing to Cruise Travel Magazine which likes to publish what is currently happening in the cruise industry. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1