Tips for group cruise

Obsi

The 'birthday girl' will get balloons on her cabin door, a birthday card signed by the captain and a small birthday cake at dinner. You can order a larger cake for extra cost. On one cruise I was on, a friend had one of the larger cakes. It had spectacular chocolate decorations on top.

• Like 1

Got an email from Jan, and as predicted they won't discuss anything with me, it has to go through the travel agent 😞 .... The only one they seem to have record of for me (she greeted me with my surname which I'd not used, so clearly looked me up in the system) is the badTA#1 who I'd rather have teeth pulled than deal with.....  and Jan helpfully contacted the Australian office to tell them to contact my agent, to contact me to discuss my booking.... which would have been great, but I had said in my email that I'm not using that agent any more and have my newer bookings through a different agency.

So now I'm going to have to have the "I've left you for someone else and tried to circumvent you by going to Princess direct" conversation with TA#1, and try and get TA#2 to contact Princess to organise things instead.  (who is of course now away until the end of the month) Ugh.

Honestly, wrangling 100 people is one thing, dealing with TA#1 has been the absolute worst part of this whole thing.  Would be so much easier if I could just contact Princess directly 😞   

All I need to do is ask:
Can I have a space (eg the skywalkers lounge) for a 2 hour meetup during the day on seaday #1
Can I have a private afternoon tea in one of the dining rooms on sea day #2, and get a birthday cake
(and optionally, is there any noticeboard situation they can offer us)

1 hour ago, Obsi said:

All I need to do is ask:
Can I have a space (eg the skywalkers lounge) for a 2 hour meetup during the day on seaday #1
Can I have a private afternoon tea in one of the dining rooms on sea day #2, and get a birthday cake
(and optionally, is (#3) there any noticeboard situation they can offer us)

Wow just wow ... let me give 2c on 2 & 3:

#2: I know the maitre d can help with a section of MDR for tea, would that work? He holds a session on embarkation day which is when I would ask (apologizing for TA)

#3: Ask Cruise Director-- I've never been turned down as long as its within reason. And he'd love to add it to the patter if its an open mtg. Find him Day 1 or email before hand. (I'm on Golden Nov 24- Dec 9)

#3a: Skywalker Lounge is not used during the morning. Could that be a 1/2 hr drop in spot?

Added: brainstorm: just tell Jan its a MEET & GREET in 2 months from now.... apx #s 30-40 / correct to 100 a month before launch

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Obsi said:

All I need to do is ask:
(and optionally, is there any noticeboard situation they can offer us)

A friend of mine sailed with a group of 30 or so. She wanted a large birthday cake for everyone to enjoy for a gathering in their Suite. I don't remember the amount but it was expensive. Back in the day, Princess would not have charged for it.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

A friend of mine sailed with a group of 30 or so. She wanted a large birthday cake for everyone to enjoy for a gathering in their Suite. I don't remember the amount but it was expensive. Back in the day, Princess would not have charged for it.

I don't think all of the 100 people would expect a piece of the birthday cake. It would be more for the pleasure of joining the 'birthday girl' in her celebration. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think all of the 100 people would expect a piece of the birthday cake. It would be more for the pleasure of joining the 'birthday girl' in her celebration. 

You are probably right and they will give the birthday girl a cake at dinner and maybe another time instead

My friend ordered a cake for around 30 and again I don't remember the price but it was not cheap.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 5:37 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Well I have  never had any dealings with the Australia booking site. But I knowon the US Site we got 1 cabin free (plus port fees, tips) out of every eight.  Second 8 days is not a short cruise, the industry average is less than 8 days. (7 days median)  The facts are the facts your TA are making a lot of money hear and becasue they can take advantage of you they have. Good luck making this work, it seems you are way over your head here.   Maybe you should step back and  rethink this.  

I would love to know what cruise agencies are offering one free cabin for every 8 cabins booked.  I have organized 19 group cruises over the past 19 years:  2 were with Celebrity, 3 were with Royal Caribbean and 14 were with Princess.  All three cruise lines provided one free berth (minus taxes & port charges) for every 8 cabins booked.  I'd love to find the deal you're getting on free cabins.

4 hours ago, Obsi said:

Got an email from Jan, and as predicted they won't discuss anything with me, it has to go through the travel agent 😞

I don't know if it's true or if I only imagined it, but I'm sure I read in this board a few months ago of someone transferring their TA booking across to Princess themselves because they weren't happy with the TA. I think it was someone in the US, but I can't be sure.🤔

If it were possible that might make your life easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't know if it's true or if I only imagined it, but I'm sure I read in this board a few months ago of someone transferring their TA booking across to Princess themselves because they weren't happy with the TA. I think it was someone in the US, but I can't be sure.🤔

If it were possible that might make your life easier.

Bookings can be transferred to Princess, but maybe in this case, EACH of the participants would have to do it.

• Like 1

Each ship has a coordinator at HQ who can arrange such things as Meet and Greets, so the person who handles your ship could probably set up any special request in asvance for a group lunch or get-together.

I do not know the contact info for the HQ person for your ship. but possibly someone else reading this thread has that info.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Bookings can be transferred to Princess, but maybe in this case, EACH of the participants would have to do it.

My guess is the participants are contractually obligated to the specific TA and would be at risk of losing their deposits.  

Glenn

1 minute ago, Grburkart said:

My guess is the participants are contractually obligated to the specific TA and would be at risk of losing their deposits.  

Glenn

If so another reason to never use a Travel Agent and book direct with the line.  P & O (Sister Brand)  has started to take the fees that would be paid to TA and are giving part of them back to guests booking direct. 

40 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Glenn

I haven't ever changed a booking from a TA to the cruise company, or vice versa, but I understand that people do it. I have seen a post on her fairly recently about the procedure to swap from a TA to Princess. I am sure the passengers wouldn't lose their deposits but they would lose any OBC that the TA is giving as a gift.

Much as I'd love to transfer the bookings over, I think that would be confusing for the ladies, and they would lose their OBC - So it's not really fair on them, when they aren't really impacted by staying with the TA, only I am  (well, other than those tho got stuffed around, but that's already happened, so nothing can change that annoyance)

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

#2: I know the maitre d can help with a section of MDR for tea, would that work? He holds a session on embarkation day which is when I would ask (apologizing for TA)

#3: Ask Cruise Director-- I've never been turned down as long as its within reason. And he'd love to add it to the patter if its an open mtg. Find him Day 1 or email before hand. (I'm on Golden Nov 24- Dec 9)

#3a: Skywalker Lounge is not used during the morning. Could that be a 1/2 hr drop in spot?

If I can get a definite yes and preferably a time for the 2 meetups I want to do - before we get onboard - then I can include that in our printed itinerary everyone will get (I will have little goody bags for everyone) and the email I'll send out before we go.  So then I don't have to try and communicate that while we're on the ship.   

If I can't confirm out meetups until I speak to someone on the ship then I have the hassle of trying to pass that message on to 100 ladies who will have all gone their separate ways on the ship.  Basically I'd have to call each stateroom to leave them a message or try and get people to pass on messages.  At least it would be on our second day, so we'd have some time to get the message out.  But it would be SOOOOOOO much easier if I can just get the OK before we go and include it in the itinerary.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

No, it won't matter if we don't all get some.  It's really just so we can sing happy birthday 😄   I know it's been said that she'll get a cake with her dinner, but I feel the dinner will be a bit crowded and we'd have more fun if it was just us.... also what if she decides to eat at a specialty restaurant that night as a treat.....that's why I'd rather we have a little afternoon tea party for her that is just us.

2 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If so another reason to never use a Travel Agent and book direct with the line.  P & O (Sister Brand)  has started to take the fees that would be paid to TA and are giving part of them back to guests booking direct. 

If they had offered OBC to my ladies I would have gone direct, but I wanted to get the best deal for them, so that meant a TA.   When we went on the same cruise as a family last year I booked direct.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Each ship has a coordinator at HQ who can arrange such things as Meet and Greets, so the person who handles your ship could probably set up any special request in asvance for a group lunch or get-together.

I do not know the contact info for the HQ person for your ship. but possibly someone else reading this thread has that info.

That's Jan. Apparently her hands were tied by TA#1. 

Cake: on your personalizer state you're going to celebrate a birthday so you get the song & special dessert. You also get a card so you pick when / where. You can do this yourself.  Best if the BD gal does it bc then the balloons will be on her door but it wouldn't be a surprise 

M&G: go back to Jan or corporate at 800-872-6779×40317. Plead your case. They want to keep you happy 

Tea: you can set it anytime & just inform the maitre D on embarkation day

• Like 1

Here’s the contact list for Princess Ships. They will help in making any arrangements on there ships. I have done many Meet & Greets & these people are extremely helpful. 

Sapphire, Grand: Jenny Streeck  (661) 284-4444 
jstreeck@princesscruises.com

Ruby & Coral: Berna Grayr  (661) 284-4448 
bgrayr@princesscruises.com

Royal, Dawn: Stacey Anderson (661) 284-4333 
sanderson@princesscruises.com

Regal & Diamond: Lawrence Andrada (661) 284 4445 
landrada@princesscruises.com

Emerald, Island, Majestic: Rosanne Pennucci (661) 284 4443 
rpennucci@princesscruises.com

Crown: Jodi Rudolph (661) 284 4450 

Star: Diana Hall 661- 284-4449
 dhall@princesscruises.com

Golden, Pacific: Jan James (661) 284-4452 
jjames@princesscruises.com

Caribbean, Sea & Sun: Coleen Reyes (661) 284-4447 
creyes@princesscruises.com

If the ship ship has a Skywalkers it’s a great place for a meeting. 

If you would like to see my flyers that I use for a meeting please email me at  trbarton743 at aol dot com. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1

I had a big long thing typed out but then I rethought this. So I eliminated that entire post and this is the one that I'm putting up.

I would call the 1 800 princess number. Tell them the problem I have working with the TA#1. Transfer my booking only to PRINCESS. That makes you the contact person for the meet and greet that you set up with Jan instead of the TA.   I would ask them if they can meet or beat the OBC you were getting. I usually get 50 to 60 0BC with my personal planner at PRINCESS. So I sincerely doubt you're going to give anything up. In fact you might get more.

Then Jan can set up  Skywalker's day 1 and a section of the tea room day 2. If you tried to book the entire tea room you will have to pay a charge per person. So you don't want a private tea, you want a section set up for all of you. The maitre D will do that

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

I could see if I can get TA#2 to put the birthday request onto her booking (I can't add it to mine, or it will think it's my birthday) - but if I want to get an extra cake for our afternoon tea then I can't get that added to her account.  I'd rather it be somewhat of a surprise to her to have the cake as well.  I'm not sure if she will login to the website to fill out her details or if she'll do that through the TA or get someone else to do it (Some of the ladies don't have internet and/or aren't internet savvy)

I just figured 90 is an awesome birthday to celebrate, especially since she'll be on the cruise (and therefore away from her family).  If it was a 67th birthday or something I probably wouldn't go to too much extra effort, but 90 calls for a pretty big celebration I think!

I'll try calling the 1800 number  (I'm in Australia so I don't want to call anything international).  But who should I talk to?  just whoever answers the phone, or should I ask for a particular department?

We can have a section of the room if needs be - but the last group cruise we did they set us up an afternoon tea (trays of sandwiches and cakes) on one of the sea days - we were alone in one of the dining rooms.... I assumed they did that for us because we were a group of Red Hat ladies.   I can't imagine the previous organiser paid for it, because there were only enough of us for her to get 1 free berth.  So unless she was nice and paid it out of that?  I think it's more likely she wrangled it for free.

I'm not in Australia so I dont know who you call to book directly with Princess but I would start there

I'm having the opposite problem.... trying to figure out a disembark morning in Aukland with a 3:30 flight when Princess decided to cancel disembark excursion

I’m exhausted reading this thread and I’m a planner/organizer.

i would suggest telling everyone to meet each morning first thing (whatever time you determine fits your schedule best) in a lounge not used at that time of day if they wish updates. 

The first one to complain about lack of communication would be next years organizer..:)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I’m exhausted reading this thread and I’m a planner/organizer.

i would suggest telling everyone to meet each morning first thing (whatever time you determine fits your schedule best) in a lounge not used at that time of day if they wish updates. 

The first one to complain about lack of communication would be next years organizer..:)

That could work.  I'd need to consider breakfast as well though, and I imagine it's only unused before about 9am (Looking at the patters from the previous cruise I did, they had Tai Chi in the Vista lounge at 8am, but nothing elsewhere until 9am)

So if I say we'll meet up at a Explorers lounge at 8am for the day's messages, and then at 8:15(ish) we go off for breakfast wherever people want it.  Anyone choosing not to meet up then misses out on any planning, which is their loss -  although we'd still have the little notepads on doors people can check later in the day if they want to sleep in.  The ladies can bring their daily schedules and arrange who is going to do what activities that day.

-- I'm the next organiser as well - Unless I decide after this not to do it again :P  (nah, I'll have sorted out the logistics by then and won't use TA#1 - so next cruise will be much easier!!!)  Though it'll be 2022 as we'll do them every 2 years.  I don't think I'd have the energy to do them yearly, especially since I'm just a volunteer and really only doing it so I can justify the cruise to hubby 😄 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:04 PM, HRHMadonna said:

I would love to know what cruise agencies are offering one free cabin for every 8 cabins booked.  I have organized 19 group cruises over the past 19 years:  2 were with Celebrity, 3 were with Royal Caribbean and 14 were with Princess.  All three cruise lines provided one free berth (minus taxes & port charges) for every 8 cabins booked.  I'd love to find the deal you're getting on free cabins.

As someone "in the business", I can confirm you are getting the correct information. Premium category cruise lines (Princess, RCI, Celebrity) give 1 berth credit for every 8 cabins booked. There are rare exceptions where a certain cruise will offer a reduced TC credit of 1 berth for every 6 cabins booked. You can also use your group points on some sailings to buy down your TC credit, to either 1 berth for every 7 cabins, or 1 berth for every 6 cabins. Luxury cruise lines offer lower TC credit bars, often 1 berth for every 6 cabins. River cruises offer still lower TC credit bars, usually 1 berth for every 5 cabins, and occasional promotions of 1 berth for every 4 cabins, with the lowest I've ever seen is a rare river cruise promotion of 1 berth for every 3 cabins. 

Got another email from Jan.  Seems she isn't the one I'd be talking to regardless of if I had a booking through a TA or not - she says I need to contact the Australian group bookings.  From her reply, I'm not sure if they would deal with me direct even if I was to move my TA#1 bookings to Princess (she wasn't sure that was even possible).  I think that if I still have a booking with a TA (eg all my TA#2 bookings) and they know that all my bookings are part of the same group, they would then want me to pass everything through that TA instead of talking to me direct.   But I'll try contacting the Australian office and see what they say.