Equinox Revolution

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, MissLittle1959 said:

Oh my goodness.  I’m so glad I don’t take a cruise for footstools and tables on the balcony.  That is the least of our worries.  We are spoiled by the entertainment on royal and I don’t think we will get the same on celebrity but everyone we talk to says celebrity is the best so we are giving it a shot.  Thankfully we chose this ship for it’s good reviews and itinerary for our November 30th cruise. 

Agreed. I don’t use (or like if I’m honest) footstools in the real world, so that is hardly going to bug me.

I *am* 100% spoiled to Disney entertainment and service and will admit to being very nervous about trying Celebrity - I still may end up cancelling X and going with DCL, but we shall see.

28 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Well, I don't cruise for the entertainment, so I guess I can care about the balcony furniture. 😉

Wow, what do you cruise for? Lol entertainment is essential IMO.  I can’t wait to see hairspray on royal and mamma Mia was awesome on Allure.  I sure as hell hope EQUINOX isn’t going to be ho hum or my husband will never let me forget it. Lol  our last cruise we were enjoying bumper cars.  Granted I know this one is not like that but I don’t enjoy being bored either.  Like I said, I’ve heard nothing but good things about celebrity so I hope it lives up to what little expectations I have.  Not gonna get my hopes up too high so I don’t fall too far. Lol

32 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed. I don’t use (or like if I’m honest) footstools in the real world, so that is hardly going to bug me.

I *am* 100% spoiled to Disney entertainment and service and will admit to being very nervous about trying Celebrity - I still may end up cancelling X and going with DCL, but we shall see.

Oh, I wish but dCL is too pricy for me. Lol. Can’t justify their cost compared to others. 😑

Then again, the Haven spoiled us. 😊

Edited by MissLittle1959

15 hours ago, toddmanka said:

Just got off Equinox . Forget about eating on balcony . New tables you can fit one plate and one glass. Phones internet and TV , down half of the cruise.

Footstools gone, smell every night when you went to bed . Don’t know if it was the pillow cases sheets or headboards. I have been on Silhouette 3 times and going on Reflection in March. Celebrity should have spent there 500 million elsewhere.

I agree re the smell. My husband and I discovered it was the pillows. The cabin attendant said they were new, but they smelled like mildew to us. We got them switched out for the memory foam pillows because the smell was so bad.

While we did have fun on the cruise, there were some very visible cost-cutting measures taken which I felt cheapened the experience. I’ll write a review once I’ve had a chance to digest everything that happened and possibly cool off a bit. 

• Like 1

Wow, what do you cruise for? Lol entertainment is essential IMO.  I can’t wait to see hairspray on royal and mamma Mia was awesome on Allure.  I sure as hell hope EQUINOX isn’t going to be ho hum or my husband will never let me forget it. Lol  our last cruise we were enjoying bumper cars.  Granted I know this one is not like that but I don’t enjoy being bored either.  Like I said, I’ve heard nothing but good things about celebrity so I hope it lives up to what little expectations I have.  Not gonna get my hopes up too high so I don’t fall too far. Lol

If you want the things you listed above for entertainment, you WON"T find them on Celebrity.  It is more low key than the mother ship Royal.

• Like 2

Oh, I wish but dCL is too pricy for me. Lol. Can’t justify their cost compared to others. 😑

Then again, the Haven spoiled us. 😊

As a solo, I find any of the lines I would consider (ie: NOT Carnival or NCL (except for Hawaii)) to be roughly the same price for equivalent cabin space.

And living in NYC, you could not pay me to see a watered-down (has to be to fit into cruise line timeframes) “Broadway” show. I purposely sit on the end on RCCL so I can make a quick escape - and honestly don’t bother most of the time (I don’t do the mega behemoths - Radiance Class is the biggest RCCL I will do) and doubt I will bother with Equinox “entertainment”. I’d rather find a quiet place to curl up with a book.

But that is why there are options for everyone.

• Like 2

You better starting preparing.  The entertainment is not on a par with Royal C.  Sedate is a good term to use.   You have probably heard good things about Celebrity's food and service.  You better not think  that this is a luxury line.  It is a very good mainstream line.

• Like 2

We are D+ on RC and E+ on Celebrity so we know the strengths and weaknesses of both lines well. I am worried for you re your cruise choice....We love Celebrity for its relaxing atmosphere, good food and general restful ambience. However, it does not have the level of show variety or performance as RC....

We board RC for action and adventure and Celebrity for rest and relaxation. Whilst there are several similarities between the lines they are not mirror images.

I suggest you browse several reviews....When you board Equinox you need to look for and enjoy the differences...

2 hours ago, lhsail said:

Interesting as others have posted they are no longer anywhere on the ship so no chance of getting one. We’ve actually talked about taking a cheap camping table and leaving it behind, bringing a balcony chair inside, etc. We’ll have to come up with something for a month. 

Deliver42 said they debarked the Ruby Princess....not Celebrity.

As others have alluded too, you've booked the wrong cruise line. Is it too late to change your booking? 

28 minutes ago, GAcruiser2 said:

I agree re the smell. My husband and I discovered it was the pillows. The cabin attendant said they were new, but they smelled like mildew to us. We got them switched out for the memory foam pillows because the smell was so bad.

While we did have fun on the cruise, there were some very visible cost-cutting measures taken which I felt cheapened the experience. I’ll write a review once I’ve had a chance to digest everything that happened and possibly cool off a bit. 

We are booked on the Equinox for November and this bedding smell problem has me a bit worried. Hopefully by then the smell will have dissipated or the pillows replaced. Since we are driving in I may just bring an extra suitcase stuffed with pillows. I love my feather pillows anyways. We usually sail in regular balconies, so don’t miss the footstools, but they are nice to have. May just throw in a couple of inflatable footstools along with the pillows.

Mary Ann

I entertain myself, and I am never bored. I cruise to read, relax, watch the water, nap, eat, drink, rinse and repeat.

Different strokes for different folks, but I agree with the others that Celebrity entertainment is nothing special.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, keesar said:

You better starting preparing.  The entertainment is not on a par with Royal C.  Sedate is a good term to use.   You have probably heard good things about Celebrity's food and service.  You better not think  that this is a luxury line.  It is a very good mainstream line.

I know the entertainment is not on par. I have read a lot about this cruise and we are doing it for the itinerary and not much more.   I got hurt on the anthem doing roller skating so I can forgo those types of things. Lol. If, though, this is not a luxury line then people need to stop talking like it is but that’s how it’s perceived when I read about it.   We will have a good time despite it being a cruise with older ppl.  We are 60 and 62 respectively but not mentally. Lo. We will be fine.  It may be a one and done but it can’t be any worse than carnival elation. Lol

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As a solo, I find any of the lines I would consider (ie: NOT Carnival or NCL (except for Hawaii)) to be roughly the same price for equivalent cabin space.

And living in NYC, you could not pay me to see a watered-down (has to be to fit into cruise line timeframes) “Broadway” show. I purposely sit on the end on RCCL so I can make a quick escape - and honestly don’t bother most of the time (I don’t do the mega behemoths - Radiance Class is the biggest RCCL I will do) and doubt I will bother with Equinox “entertainment”. I’d rather find a quiet place to curl up with a book.

But that is why there are options for everyone.

We've seen Mamma Mia five times on the Allure and would see it five more if the opportunity would arise. From what I've heard from fellow passengers, it is not watered down as it's about 2 1/2 hours, which includes a fifteen minute intermission about half way through. They also rave about it and they said they've seen the Broadway and London West End shows at it is quite comparable. The best part is that the extra cost is $0, a little less than Broadway. Since you won't go on the Oasis class ships, you don't have to worry about it.

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

We are D+ on RC and E+ on Celebrity so we know the strengths and weaknesses of both lines well. I am worried for you re your cruise choice....We love Celebrity for its relaxing atmosphere, good food and general restful ambience. However, it does not have the level of show variety or performance as RC....

We board RC for action and adventure and Celebrity for rest and relaxation. Whilst there are several similarities between the lines they are not mirror images.

I suggest you browse several reviews....When you board Equinox you need to look for and enjoy the differences...

I have read lots of reviews and made the decision regardless of the entertainment to go on the Equinox.  I can relax and read a book. napping is not my thing. that's my husband's.  The itinerary (Key West and Grand Caymans mostly) is the main reason we took the ship plus everyone we know telling us Celebrity is their favorite.  

P.s. I have no idea what D+ and E+ is. lol  status doesn't matter to me or I'd cruise the same line every time.

3 hours ago, MissLittle1959 said:

If you're expecting Celebrity to match RCCL in terms of entertainment, you can think again. 🙁 We've also cruised on the Allure and in terms of entertainment there is simply no comparison. You can forget Aqua Theaters, Broadway Shows, Bumper Cars, Comedy Clubs, Jazz Clubs, Bowling Alley's and all the rest that comes with a ship of that size. In contrast, when we cruised with Celebrity for the first time on the Reflection, we were shocked how little there was to do onboard. The age range on board was a lot higher and everything was geared towards this age range. Everything was conservative and civilised and one bar felt very much like the next. Having cruised with four other lines I would say that Celebrity is the company you cruise with for some R&R and few children on board. The only reason we're returning to the Equinox in September is because the perks offered by Celebrity are unmatched right now, which makes them the best value for money. But oh how I wish they would diversify their onboard offerings 😩

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

But oh how I wish they would diversify their onboard offerings 😩

We have done many cruises on both lines....For entertainment RC wins for

R and R Celebrity wins....make too many changes to the Celebrity offering and you spoil the ambience many of us book the cruise line for. 

If all cruise lines blend then our options reduce....We end up with fewer choices of cruise types...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We have done many cruises on both lines....For entertainment RC wins for

R and R Celebrity wins....make too many changes to the Celebrity offering and you spoil the ambience many of us book the cruise line for. 

If all cruise lines blend then our options reduce....We end up with fewer choices of cruise types...

Yep, we like Celebrity for what they are, we don’t want another RC or Carnival, if we did we would cruise with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GAcruiser2 said:

Our bedding smelled strongly of mildew, too.  I am almost certain it was from the pillows.  I assume they either got wet and were not dried completely or the humidity is so high that they are just always staying slightly damp.  Yuck.  

I agree that the cost cutting and up-selling had increased noticeably from just last year.  Of course we had a good time and it feels petty to complain about little things, but they did start to add up.   For the first time ever, we did not book a future cruise with Celebrity and are going to start looking at other lines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO you cannot compare Princess with Celebrity- Yes they changed the size of the table and balcony furniture, but the Princess ships have much less to offer.  The adult pool area on Celebrity is so much better then Princess as is the food and all of the venues.  We found Princess to be slipping and not cleaned well.  I would book a regular balcony on Celebrity and eat a couple of times with the money saved in Specialty restaurants- Also the all inclusive packages on Celebrity make it a much better buy!  

Not sure about the flying issue, except if you live on the west coast.  

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

We love Princess and X equally, for different reasons, and respectfully, we loved the Royal Princess when we sailed on her 3 months ago.  We feel the Equinox and the Royal are more similar than dissimilar.  We’ve been on both several times.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lhsail said:

We cruise both Celebrity and Princess and are happy on either. Word of caution if you are planning to book Princess, they are taking the side chairs and coffee tables out of the standard balcony cabins.  So, unless you book a mini-suite there is no additional seating in the cabin, other than the desk chair, no place to put your room service coffee, etc. We are sailing in a balcony cabin for a month next year on Princess and this is going to be uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the price on the Australia leg of the trip has skyrocketed since we booked and moving up to a mini-suite is just not cost justified. All mainstream cruise lines seem to be cutting something. 

Thank you for your reply.  However, we were just on Princess a couple months ago and did not have a mini but we did have a cabin category , deluxe balcony, which had a love seat on the Royal Princess. That is the ship we would book if we cancel the Equinox. .  They had removed the side chairs from the Crown Princess but not the table ,  when we were on a few months ago , but not from Royal Princess.  Once again, thank you for your reply. 

21 minutes ago, SerraG said:

Our bedding smelled strongly of mildew, too.  I am almost certain it was from the pillows.  I assume they either got wet and were not dried completely or the humidity is so high that they are just always staying slightly damp.  Yuck.  

I agree that the cost cutting and up-selling had increased noticeably from just last year.  Of course we had a good time and it feels petty to complain about little things, but they did start to add up.   For the first time ever, we did not book a future cruise with Celebrity and are going to start looking at other lines.

Oh man, I can’t handle mildew smell. That would be the worst!  

Were you in aqua, too?

This is completely unacceptable.