The Key vs C&A upper status perks question

SRV FAN

I am sure this has been asked already, but there are so many posts on this topic I can't find my answer.

So here goes: As a Diamond (soon to be Diamond+) member of the Crown & Anchor society ……..  that comes with certain perks...as in Priority Check-In & Embarkation. And sometimes reserved seating in the theaters. My question is if a first time cruiser purchases "The Key", do THEY get priority check-in & boarding over Diamond/Diamond+ status folks? 

If there is anyone who has experienced the process personally it would be great to hear from you! 

TIA

Edited by SRV FAN

36 minutes ago, Lv2sail_18 said:

Maybe it depends on the port/ship. I didn’t notice any impact when boarding Symphony in Miami. It was so quick that we boarded with the general crowd rather than looking for the Diamond priority area.

There isn’t a Diamond priority area in Terminal A. 

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Believe me, the Key would be invaluable for boarding Oasis in PC.  Without it, Only Suites and Pinnacles get the short line through security.

My question would be is it worth $140 for the key purchaser to wait 30 minutes longer?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Key trumps Diamond.

Just read some of the posts on the previous Key thread.

$24.95pp and everyone in cabin must take it.

It is trialled until end March 2019 on Liberty and Oasis.

A lot of the posters felt it was a waste of money.

For me the DL access alone wins hands down.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Most people are getting it for $19.

the trial ended a while ago and it’s available on most ships.

9 hours ago, frank808 said:

My question would be is it worth $140 for the key purchaser to wait 30 minutes longer?

I'm sure there will be some who think it's worth it for that, as well as the other perks that come with it, and happily pay for it.

I'm sure there will be some who think no way is it worth it and thus don't pay for it.

And then there will be some who don't think it's worth it and don't pay for it, but get bent out of shape because others DO pay for it. 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Most people are getting it for $19.

the trial ended a while ago and it’s available on most ships.

Thanks for the update.

I can understand why RC want to do it as it is a revenue earner.

It is not something we would be interested in as D+ but for some who are RC newbies it might be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

What DL access?

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What DL access?

For Diamond and above members Free drinks during cocktail hour plus access during the day for a tea/coffee/hot chocolate.

Hope Laura and Bella are well.

Edited by grapau27

Im confuse. We are in a star suite and part of that perk is priority boarding, priority seating at restraints and venues etc. Are you saying this is the exact same thing the key does. It would have cost a heck of alot for that.

Just now, 3shar said:

Im confuse. We are in a star suite and part of that perk is priority boarding, priority seating at restraints and venues etc. Are you saying this is the exact same thing the key does. It would have cost a heck of alot for that.

Star has priority over anything Key may have.

8 minutes ago, 3shar said:

Star has actual reserved seats anywhere in the venue.  The other priority seating is just access to an area, without having a specific seat.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3shar said:

The Key gets one meal at a Chops for lunch.  Star class can eat at any specialty restaurant for any meal.

3 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

So basically, "The Key" is RCI's version of Carnival's "Faster to the Fun"...where you pay extra to get on the ship faster and a few "perks", no matter what kind of cabin you are in, or your "status".

In a way yes.  However The Key benefits go beyond priority boarding on day one. 

With FTTF there really are very few perks once on board. Access to the platinum line at guest services is it really.  

With The Key the benefits really kick in once you are on board.  

You can't compare the two programs, like comparing a 1980's flip phone to a modern smartphone, they are both phones but very different.

THANKS everyone for your input! I have my answer. Our "home" port is Galveston. Our upcoming cruise is on Vision. They are offering The Key for $19.99. The only thing is on this small ship, there isn't a Flow Rider or Studio B. So, not all the perks The Key offers are available. I am Diamond and don't see a benefit in getting it.... I just wanted to know basically if I am going to have to wait for The Key holders to board. I don't care about show seats or early debarkation at ports. While I am sure on larger ships... it may be beneficial. 

4 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

THANKS everyone for your input! I have my answer. Our "home" port is Galveston. Our upcoming cruise is on Vision. They are offering The Key for $19.99. The only thing is on this small ship, there isn't a Flow Rider or Studio B. So, not all the perks The Key offers are available. I am Diamond and don't see a benefit in getting it.... I just wanted to know basically if I am going to have to wait for The Key holders to board. I don't care about show seats or early debarkation at ports. While I am sure on larger ships... it may be beneficial. 

Good call.  I can only imagine on smaller ships like Vision class The Key is there simply for newbies who don't know any better.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Good call.  I can only imagine on smaller ships like Vision class The Key is there simply for newbies who don't know any better.  

Yes! I agree. And that is what bugs me...I have worked long & hard to get to the status I have & to be "trumped" by a first time cruiser in the Priority line, really gets me..... Oh well. As others have said...Loyalty goes both ways... wish Royal understood that. 

• Thanks 1