Summit Revolution

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

If the couch is smaller, what is the extra space used for? Also, if there is no more small table, what do people use to eat room service on?

VerandaStateroom_1553517866555-HR.jpg

DSCF1396.JPG

I can see a glass table near the sliding door in the bottom  photo.

But not in the top photo.

Edited by cruise47

1 hour ago, printingchick said:

I could be mistaken, but aren't the new beds larger? There probably is less floor space as a result.

Yes..beds are King size...took up  quite a bit of space on EDGE.  No coffee table...small tray type table on the balc and a small drum shaped table inside called a tom tom

Cabins on Summit are same size they always were so the bed has the larger space. Room svc may be challenging...Maybe eat out on the lanai if it still has a nice tbl?????

Hoppen design does not favor use of room service!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, JFontaine said:

I agree with your comment about the chairs - those milk crates are a miss.  It also shows that whoever picked the furniture never sailed in the cabin, because the round table was very easy to move into the sun and out - all of the furniture was (I am the main dragger).    The balcony needs two more loungers (it looks like the cabin on the other side has them near the whirlpool) and I would get rid of the two armless chairs for the deep cushioned chairs with arms that are in the Royal Suite. 

Really--did they expect people to sit on those stupid milk crates?  They should be offloaded at the first available farm.  Absolutely, the previous round table was much better and could be moved wherever desired.  And the armless chairs replace much more comfortable chairs.  But I don't think this person was going for comfort, she was going for a "look."  And she's clearly never been on a ship.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

Yes..beds are King size...took up  quite a bit of space on EDGE.  No coffee table...small tray type table on the balc and a small drum shaped table inside called a tom tom

Cabins on Summit are same size they always were so the bed has the larger space. Room svc may be challenging...Maybe eat out on the lanai if it still has a nice tbl?????

Hoppen design does not favor use of room service!

Bummer. Who the heck needs a king size bed? The rooms are small enough already. Now no couch. Just something for one to sit on. Also, no small table to use for room service tray.

• Like 4

On 3/25/2019 at 8:23 AM, DCT61 said:

Regarding the Penthouse photos...

Have fun using that sink and microwave in the butlers pantry. conflict issues. A counter-depth fridge would have helped.

I had to laugh at the seating disparity at the balcony dining table. 3 dine in comfort while 3 are relegated to milk crates.

There must have been a sale on fake cactus plants. I counted 19 in this suite alone.

The bathroom is beautiful.

We didn't generally use the sink and the microwave at the same time.  Not a problem.  The new refrigerator just replaces what was there previously, they did not reconfigure the butler's pantry.  Would not have been possible to put a counter-depth refrigerator in there, they are wider.  Wonder if the nonfunctional wine cooler got replaced.  No pics of that part of the kitchen.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Really--did they expect people to sit on those stupid milk crates?  They should be offloaded at the first available farm.  Absolutely, the previous round table was much better and could be moved wherever desired.  And the armless chairs replace much more comfortable chairs.  But I don't think this person was going for comfort, she was going for a "look."  And she's clearly never been on a ship.

I agree.

And those “milk crates” are ceramic and are normally sold for use as side tables.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruise47 said:

I can see a glass table in the background near the sliding door.

Watchdiva.  We were on the Edge.  Retreat was beautiful with very little shade.  Those areas were so windy, we ended up at the regular pool. 

Waste of money for us. Plus, the chair hogs were up there too, hogging up the best shaded area . No one up there , to remove items, left for hours.

Where are we supposed to eat room service in these new rooms if the two person sofa is now only a one and a half person sofa and there is no place to set the room service tray? One cruising ritual we enjoy is ordering coffee, juice, and an English muffin in my room early before we go to the gym or leave for a shore excursion.

I suspect these changes have been made to discourage ordering from room service because it saves Celebrity money in long run on these services. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I get that they're ceramic.  And "normally" sold for use as side tables  At least in an ordinary world.  Never were they meant to be sat on.

Welcome to “Hoppen's World”. 🙃

1 hour ago, Fishkillbill said:

Bummer. Who the heck needs a king size bed? The rooms are small enough already. Now no couch. Just something for one to sit on. Also, no small table to use for room service tray.

If the beds are larger now,what size would they be considered if they are separated into two single beds? I thought they were always king size.

Laura

2 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

Where are we supposed to eat room service in these new rooms if the two person sofa is now only a one and a half person sofa and there is no place to set the room service tray? One cruising ritual we enjoy is ordering coffee, juice, and an English muffin in my room early before we go to the gym or leave for a shore excursion.

I suspect these changes have been made to discourage ordering from room service because it saves Celebrity money in long run on these services. 

I have been asking the same question since the Edge Inaugural, where it's the same situation with the furniture.

And I came to the same conclusion... though not because X would save money. It's more work for the staff delivering all those breakfasts from specific galleys to cabins all over the ship.

2 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

The so called  couch on  the EDGE was not much better.  It was an armless setee,  with very  rough fabric and low to the ground. It could not be higher b/c the A /C duct made for low ceiling clearance.  We did enjoy our cabin but did not eat there other than snacks..  We sat in the veranda chairs  faced inward  to read or relax and watched TV from the bed...Screen  was oversized for the distance and did not swivel.   

We are looking forward to hopefully a  more cozy feel on Summit with a  regular balcony...and warmer decor...We will improvise a table for room service and breakfast on the balcony.  We have another cruise booked  on EDGE this year,  & won't be on Summit til 2020...by then there may be changes,  including a proper  table (but  not sure where)

Edited by hcat

On 3/25/2019 at 1:02 PM, deb1eric said:

Just boarded the Summit, here's some pics of the veranda balcony room. Plus some other pics around the ship I got so far.  I love all the soft new clean carpet, smells like a new ship! 

Thanks so much for posting your photos!  

Edited by Silkroad

Regarding the Penthouse Suite and the milk crates on the verandah, I agree that it is pathetic.  The table and chairs on the verandah look like something one would use as a folding card table and chairs.  As I am soon coming up on 19 nights in the Penthouse Suite I have already started thinking about whether those 3 cubes could serve as a coffee table substitute in the living room.  I have enjoyed hosting guests in the suite and having a nice sized coffee table in the living room to hold goodies from the Butler as well as drinks.  The oversized Tom-Tom certainly does not cut it.  I am truly saddened by all of the work arounds that I have read related to cabin or suite deficiencies on the Edge and the Millenium.

it is unbelievable that people are bringing beach balls to blow up for foot rests, talking about bringing shower curtains and rods, looking to figure out how to hang curtains in the infinite verandah suites, etc.  I read a post about people bringing a folding table in their luggage to use as a coffee table for room service.  Pathetic!  As it relates to the prime real estate for which I am paying big bucks, I expect better than milk crates on that verandah and certainly a coffee table befitting of the suite and my entertaining needs.  I feel for the poor butlers that will surely have to endure the frustration of their guests.  I am a kind person and realize that it is not their fault, but I fear that other “high maintenance” guests will not be so gentle.

• Like 1

So excited for the renovations! Thank you for sharing the info, and after reading some of these posts I am so very thankful we are thankful. March 30th sailing here....days away... and our first cruise on Celebrity. Woot! Woot! The Keilmans will be on the ship to have a fabulous time regardless of decor! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Regarding the Penthouse Suite and the milk crates on the verandah, I agree that it is pathetic.  The table and chairs on the verandah look like something one would use as a folding card table and chairs.  As I am soon coming up on 19 nights in the Penthouse Suite I have already started thinking about whether those 3 cubes could serve as a coffee table substitute in the living room.  I have enjoyed hosting guests in the suite and having a nice sized coffee table in the living room to hold goodies from the Butler as well as drinks.  The oversized Tom-Tom certainly does not cut it.  I am truly saddened by all of the work arounds that I have read related to cabin or suite deficiencies on the Edge and the Millenium.

it is unbelievable that people are bringing beach balls to blow up for foot rests, talking about bringing shower curtains and rods, looking to figure out how to hang curtains in the infinite verandah suites, etc.  I read a post about people bringing a folding table in their luggage to use as a coffee table for room service.  Pathetic!  As it relates to the prime real estate for which I am paying big bucks, I expect better than milk crates on that verandah and certainly a coffee table befitting of the suite and my entertaining needs.  I feel for the poor butlers that will surely have to endure the frustration of their guests.  I am a kind person and realize that it is not their fault, but I fear that other “high maintenance” guests will not be so gentle.

After following the Edge thread and cancelling our Edge cruise, I wondered long and hard what group this decorating appeals to. I thought about types like West Elm, Ikea, Ethan Allen, Better Homes and Gardens, Veranda, HGTV, Open House, and so on and so forth for all price points and looks and ideas, and I have to beleive that this very eclectic design is limited to a region of the world where this may be a concept that is in step with a certain go for look, but its not one that is widely or univerally accepted based on the questionability of what is even practical.  

• Like 3

Someone on another site mentioned that the Summit was actually listed for sale not that long ago. We were speculating on what ship would replace her for Bermuda cruises at that time.

I have sailed on the Summit in an Aqua, Sky suite and Celebrity suite. My husband said he loved the ship but it was getting so sad to see how bad the cabins had gotten. In our Sky suite the stains on all the fabric and the sagging bed skirt were a real downer. Then the stains and the sagging couch in the Celebrity suite made us shake our heads. 

No matter what, this revolution is a step in the right direction and the only reason we came back to the Summit. If we speak up when we are aboard I think we can make a difference in changing some of the basics the cabins lack.

3 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Someone on another site mentioned that the Summit was actually listed for sale not that long ago. We were speculating on what ship would replace her for Bermuda cruises at that time.

I have sailed on the Summit in an Aqua, Sky suite and Celebrity suite. My husband said he loved the ship but it was getting so sad to see how bad the cabins had gotten. In our Sky suite the stains on all the fabric and the sagging bed skirt were a real downer. Then the stains and the sagging couch in the Celebrity suite made us shake our heads. 

No matter what, this revolution is a step in the right direction and the only reason we came back to the Summit. If we speak up when we are aboard I think we can make a difference in changing some of the basics the cabins lack.

Its true that a ship can reach a point of no return. We have experienced this with Celebrity, on Mercury. I think that Summit has a few, but not too many, good years left for Bermuda. 

Our last cruise to Bermuda on Summit several years ago was filled with so many families as you would expect for a summer vacation, there were no beach towels and the ones we wea able to have scrounged up from the staff were filled with holes.  

That Bermuda itin takes its toll. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

11 hours ago, reecesavage said:

There looks to be north of 20 tables at the bar. The tables under the overhang from the deck above are still covered. The canopy covered 6 tables from what I've seen online. The bar is still shaded as well. So there are still areas that are shaded. While the new canopy does allow light through it will provide partial shade. It won't protect you from rain though. I just don't think its as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. 

20 SEATS at the bar?  We can count those right out, since they're hardly appropriate for enjoying breakfast or lunch on the back of the ship.

The bacon strips don't just let "light" through, they let the full 100% of the sunshine through.  i.e. they do nothing unless you happen to be directly under one of them.   I was on the Infinity last month.  Depending on the direction of the ship and the sun's location, the old canopy would easily shade 6-8 tables.   It was very common for the guests to move more tables under the canopy and out of the sun, so that number was north of 6-8 quite frequently.  

With the bacon strips in place, the only guaranteed shade will be the 2 tables that are nearest the doors to Oceanvew, and possibly the adjacent tables that can be moved into the shade near the doors.  So they've cut the shaded tables down by 2/3. Not cool.  

Where, exactly, is someone supposed to go to sit outside, and sit in the shade?  The lower pool desk doesn't count, btw, since it's enclosed enough to barely be considered outside at all. 

10 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

If you've had skin cancer, shade IS a big deal.

Pre-cancer is as close as I'd like to get.   It's a HUGE deal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

We've never been on the Summit, but the Infinity was looking pretty ratty last month.  I sure hope the refurb addressed some of the obvious signs of age.  I'd post pics, but I can't find them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

The so called  couch on  the EDGE was not much better.  It was an armless setee,  with very  rough fabric and low to the ground. It could not be higher b/c the A /C duct made for low ceiling clearance.  We did enjoy our cabin but did not eat there other than snacks..  We sat in the veranda chairs  faced inward  to read or relax and watched TV from the bed...Screen  was oversized for the distance and did not swivel.   

We are looking forward to hopefully a  more cozy feel on Summit with a  regular balcony...and warmer decor...We will improvise a table for room service and breakfast on the balcony.  We have another cruise booked  on EDGE this year,  & won't be on Summit til 2020...by then there may be changes,  including a proper  table (but  not sure where)

15 minutes ago, D C said:

We've never been on the Summit, but the Infinity was looking pretty ratty last month.  I sure hope the refurb addressed some of the obvious signs of age.  I'd post pics, but I can't find them. 

H cat.  The Ed ge is not much better. No table, most of the same issues.  And of course, the IV non balcony.