Packing for a 19 day trip/cruise

erby2283

Hoping to get some tips from those of you who frequently take longer cruises.

I'll be on a 12 days cruise in August but will be gone for a total of 19 days (with days pre-cruise in hotel in Barcelona and post-cruise in Portugal at a VRBO but no laundry). I don't think my baggage fees are included in the airfare my TA booked (it just says economy but I'll call the airlines to confirm) so I'm worried about trying to fit all my items in one suitcase.  Also, if I do have to pay for my 1st checked bag (say $60) , isn't it better just to pay for an overweight bag and pack more stuff in one bag than to pay for a second checked bag (if I go that route)?

I've scoured these boards and read posts about some packing tips and also the option to send things out for washing on the ship; although I am worried they will ruin my clothes. I have naturally curly hair so I end up having to take a lot of products with me or my hair will end up looking like Monica from Friends in the episode where they all went to Barbados. :classic_biggrin: 

Other than doing your own laundry in the sink or sending stuff off (and praying it comes back undamaged), how would you all pack for this cruise? If you do your own laundry in the sink what tips do you have on that? Would you try to bring sundresses that could easily be rolled? I know a lot of people wear things more than once but Italy in August - and sweating - gonna be tough. I know many of you could probably get away with a carry-on but I can't even do a carry-on for a long weekend. :classic_wink:

I'll probably think of more questions to ask but wanted to get the ball rolling to see what advice you all have.

12 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Hoping to get some tips from those of you who frequently take longer cruises.

I'll be on a 12 days cruise in August but will be gone for a total of 19 days (with days pre-cruise in hotel in Barcelona and post-cruise in Portugal at a VRBO but no laundry). I don't think my baggage fees are included in the airfare my TA booked (it just says economy but I'll call the airlines to confirm) so I'm worried about trying to fit all my items in one suitcase.  Also, if I do have to pay for my 1st checked bag (say $60) , isn't it better just to pay for an overweight bag and pack more stuff in one bag than to pay for a second checked bag (if I go that route)?

I've scoured these boards and read posts about some packing tips and also the option to send things out for washing on the ship; although I am worried they will ruin my clothes. I have naturally curly hair so I end up having to take a lot of products with me or my hair will end up looking like Monica from Friends in the episode where they all went to Barbados. :classic_biggrin: 

Other than doing your own laundry in the sink or sending stuff off (and praying it comes back undamaged), how would you all pack for this cruise? If you do your own laundry in the sink what tips do you have on that? Would you try to bring sundresses that could easily be rolled? I know a lot of people wear things more than once but Italy in August - and sweating - gonna be tough. I know many of you could probably get away with a carry-on but I can't even do a carry-on for a long weekend. :classic_wink:

I'll probably think of more questions to ask but wanted to get the ball rolling to see what advice you all have.

We usually take long trips.  We pack for 7-8 days and do laundry.   Many ships have passenger laundry rooms.  Some don't.  On those we (I) will hand wash underwear, but send our pants/shirts to the laundry onboard.  We don't take things that would be bad if they were damaged in the laundry, but such damage is rare (from what I've read on the various forums) so we don't have an problem sending things to the ship's laundry.

Yes, you can wear things more than once on a trip.  Seriously, no one is going to remember that you wore that shirt 4 days ago.  I mean you don't wear your clothes at home only once, right?  

Also bring things that can mix & match (makes it seem like you more outfits).  Don't worry about wrinkles.  

22 minutes ago, terribletom said:

We use vaccum bags an a lot of imagination 

I use the space saver bags myself, but tend use the ones you just roll the air out of, since I wouldn't always have a vacuum near me on vacation (although you could just manually push the air out)

2 minutes ago, CanobieFan said:

I use the space saver bags myself, but tend use the ones you just roll the air out of, since I wouldn't always have a vacuum near me on vacation (although you could just manually push the air out)

You also need to be aware, using those, that the weight of the clothes will remain the same, just uses less space.  Can cause overweight luggage.

I use dry cleaner bags,putting three or four things in each and they don’t wrinkle. 

Magellan’s online catalog has some clothes that dry overnight if you hand wash them. 

Princess, and Carnival ships have passenger laundry rooms, and the Cunard ships I’ve sailed on. Royal Caribbean does not. 

13 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

We usually take long trips.  We pack for 7-8 days and do laundry.   Many ships have passenger laundry rooms.  Some don't.  On those we (I) will hand wash underwear, but send our pants/shirts to the laundry onboard.  We don't take things that would be bad if they were damaged in the laundry, but such damage is rare (from what I've read on the various forums) so we don't have an problem sending things to the ship's laundry.

Yes, you can wear things more than once on a trip.  Seriously, no one is going to remember that you wore that shirt 4 days ago.  I mean you don't wear your clothes at home only once, right?  

Also bring things that can mix & match (makes it seem like you more outfits).  Don't worry about wrinkles.  

Unfortunately RC doesn't have self-service laundry facilities and I think most of the issues with the ships laundry is people putting shirts and jeans in the wash and fold bags - which from my understanding is just for items that can withstand high water temps - water those are. :classic_biggrin:

Limit the pairs of shoes you take.  Seriously.  I prefer three pairs, but have done it with two.  On a long cruise.  Sneakers and sandals that can be worn in the evening, too.  We travel with a carryon and backpack no matter how long the cruise.  EM

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, terribletom said:

We use vaccum bags an a lot of imagination 

I would need A LOT of imagination

25 minutes ago, CanobieFan said:

I do usually use those too but like you said no vacuum for the way home - although it won't matter as much bc the crap will be dirty. lol.

We travel to USA from UK for a cruise and stay for four weeks. We are allowed one case (50 lbs) hold luggage, a rollaboard and small personal item  ( handbag / laptop bag) . Overweight luggage can be very expensive..

Hand wash underwear...use microfibres for overnight drying. Possibly use ship's self serve laundry and/or shoreside hotel. Purex 3 in 1 sheets are great for travel and take tube of detergent.

Consult Vivienne Files to find capsule wardrobe. Roll items to save space and minimise wrinkles.We have never needed to send items to be laundered on ship as we don't buy that type of clothes. Have used iron in self serve laundry to remove wrinkles from packing formal wear. On RCCL take travel sized Downey Wrinkle Release or similar of hang item in steamy bathroom.

Have never been good cutting back on shoes but do use bar shampoo and conditioner, travel size items. 

Don't take endless 'must haves ' mentioned in some posts. Just take what you'd normally take on holiday..you don't need magnets, laundry pop up baskets, bingo markers etc!

Bon voyage !

• Like 1

Pack almost the same for 7 nights or 21. We use the ships dry cleaning service, about the same price as at home.  The wash and fold is just for things you don't care about.  Be careful if your flying Norwegian Air, only 40 pounds per case and their economy class would be a overpacked sardine can.  Save yourself a lot of packing and use the dry cleaning service.

• Like 1

And just a friendly reminder...don't forget to save room in your luggage for those souvenirs.

Our house is already full of travel souvenirs....so we typically don't buy anything overseas anymore.......but guess what?...some how, we still end up buying a few things that we had to pack to bring home.  Happy Sailing! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Hi Erby

Just thought I would mention, some cruise ships do have laundromats (self serve). That would be your cheapest option. Also, you are only on the ship for 12 days. They do have laundromats in Spain and Portugal. You can find out where online. It would eat into some of your vacation time, but people have been doing that sort of thing for a long time.

This is a big trip, so the additional cost of bringing an extra suitcase shouldn't be a deterrent. For me having to deal with the extra baggage would make me willing to do my own laundry, if I chose not to have it done for me.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

Usually you get one bag free on international flights.  I always overpack. We have our big one free checked bag and each take a carry on and a day pack. We sometimes take a second free checked bag with beverages. Under bed storage is ample for the suitcases. Whenever I try to economize the packing my husband reminds me that one of the joys of cruising is a single unpacking.  

Edited by Mary229

10 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

So you're the ones taking all the space!

Day pack under the seat.  It is our “personal item”😉. After a career traveling, packing, business hotels, packing, more hotels, over packing on a cruise is my splurge

Bite the bullet and spring for ship’s wash and fold service. Maybe $20 -&25 for a big bag — I’ve had it done on HAL, Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess.  They are fine for basic cotton shirts shorts and underwear - no damage. Then hit a local laundromat on land - they are everywhere. You do not want to spend too much of your time washing stuff in the sink. Cheaper and less hassle than carrying too much luggage.

• Like 2

I have taken many long cruises and with a little planning it's not that difficult. First of all I try to limit my clothing to fabrics that are easy to care for, dry quickly, and don't wrinkle (or show it).  All of those type of clothing I wash in the sink.  Activewear I wash daily everything else I wear at least twice before cleaning. 

I use a concentrated soap like Campsuds.  A little goes a long way.  I use inflatable hangers to hang up shirts on.  I believe they allow shirts to dry quicker.  I also bring clothespins with hooks.

Shak

https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-Campsuds-Purpose-Cleaner/dp/B000TTL8GC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1550663562&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=campsuds+soap&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Comfort-CHIF-002-01-Inflatable-Hangers/dp/B0010XGKFK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1550664521&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inflatable+hangers&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Zelta-Dual-ended-Laundry-Clothes-Hanging/dp/B016EXBAO6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1550665414&sr=8-5&keywords=clothespins+with+hooks+heavy+duty+plastic

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Also, if I do have to pay for my 1st checked bag (say $60) , isn't it better just to pay for an overweight bag and pack more stuff in one bag than to pay for a second checked bag (if I go that route)?

You will have to talk to the airline and do the figures.

One trip, my SO refused to buy a second suitcase, but completely stuffed one.  The overweight charge was more than the second bag fee PLUS the cost of a second suitcase.

It depends on the airline and their fee structure.

Air France is probably the WORST for excess bag fees.  I was traveling for work, and had a 3rd bag, that was just under the 32 kg (70 pound) limit.  They charged $1700 (YES, ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED dollars) for that one bag.