RCCL newbie questions

We are on AoS next week and had a few last-minute questions:

1) Are you allowed to bring a small kettle on board for the room?  I'm sure I can get hot water somewhere, but for convenience, just wondered.

2) Is there a clock in the room that is visible at night, or do I need to bring my own?

3) From my searches, it looks like you have to check out any towels that you want to use on deck and if not returned it's $25/towel.  Is this correct?  Never experienced this before on a cruise.

4) Are the outside cabin walls metal and are you allowed to put something up that is magnetic in order to leave messages to other traveling companions?

5) Is tea and/or hot chocolate available as a free option?

TIA

No clock, so plan to bring a travel clock.

Yes, you must check towels in and out. I think too many were being left ashore in port.

Just like other lines the walls are metal, and yes you can use magnets.

Hot chocolate and tea is available. The hot chocolate is packets and hot water. And as mentioned,  no coffee pot/kettle in the room and no you can't bring one.

1 hour ago, WisconsinFan said:

No clock, so plan to bring a travel clock.

Yes, you must check towels in and out. I think too many were being left ashore in port.

Just like other lines the walls are metal, and yes you can use magnets.

Hot chocolate and tea is available. The hot chocolate is packets and hot water. And as mentioned,  no coffee pot/kettle in the room and no you can't bring one.

There is a coffee maker and kettle in Junior Suites and up.

YES  RCCL has the pool towel policy.  The two other cruise lines I was on did not.

Really annoying.  

You did not ask, however,  definitely check your account a few times during the cruise to make sure there are no incorrect charges.  They make mistakes.  You should keep your receipts to make sure that there aren't problems.

16 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Which room type were you in?  We have done balconies on a variety of ships and haven’t seen this, so we just us the tv or our phones...

Cabin phone has the time on it, but difficult to see as it doesn’t have a light. 

Regarding the towels -- some people scan their towels in and out every single day.  

I just check out two towels the first day, and when they are wet, I just exchange them for dry towels -- no scanning needed for an exchange, and then I start the next day off with my towels already.  On the last evening, I scan my two towels back in and confirm that my account is at zero towels.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Regarding the towels -- some people scan their towels in and out every single day.  

I just check out two towels the first day, and when they are wet, I just exchange them for dry towels -- no scanning needed for an exchange, and then I start the next day off with my towels already.  On the last evening, I scan my two towels back in and confirm that my account is at zero towels.  

^^^ This ^^^  There is no point in scanning towels in and out every day. Scan one (or two) on the first day, exchange them during the week and then scan them back in on the last night. The more you scan towels in and out, the more opportunities you give them to screw it up.

• Like 1

We always scan the out early on the day (or late the day before for excursions) and back the end of the day.

Never had a problem or a towel charge.

I am sure it does happen, considering the number of transactions, but it is not difficult to deal with.

13 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

When will I be able to print them?

Do you have eDocs? The next to last page has your luggage tags.

If not, either call to get them reissued, or just take care of it at the pier.

Edited by Biker19

14 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

Thanks for all the replies to my questions - it definitely helps.

Another question - We leave for the cruise in 5 days and still no luggage tags.  When will I be able to print them?

Probably too late to get luggage tags.  Just have the porters make up tags.

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Do you have eDocs? The next to last page has your luggage tags.

If not, either call to get them reissued, or just take care of it at the pier.

Not sure what you mean by "next to last page".  When I sign into my account, I can either Update check-in/SetSail Pass, or Cruise Planner.  If I go to the first option, the option to view luggage tags is greyed out and says they are pending.  That's all the info I can get about my account that I can find.  I'm actually disappointed in the lack of information I can get about my cruise online.

5 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

Not sure what you mean by "next to last page".  When I sign into my account, I can either Update check-in/SetSail Pass, or Cruise Planner.  If I go to the first option, the option to view luggage tags is greyed out and says they are pending.  That's all the info I can get about my account that I can find.  I'm actually disappointed in the lack of information I can get about my cruise online.

It sounds like your eDocs are not available.  If you booked direct with Royal, I'd call them and ask them why your eDocs and Luggage Tags are not available.

9 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

Not sure what you mean by "next to last page".  

Right under Guests on the main page you have a "View more details" link - that should have your eDocs (to the right). If that's not there, call to have them reissued.

Edited by Biker19

24 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Right under Guests on the main page you have a "View more details" link - that should have your eDocs (to the right). If that's not there, call to have them reissued.

It says I have no cruise documents available at this time.  I guess I call!

On 3/3/2019 at 8:45 AM, LB_NJ said:

YES  RCCL has the pool towel policy.  The two other cruise lines I was on did not.

Really annoying.  

You did not ask, however,  definitely check your account a few times during the cruise to make sure there are no incorrect charges.  They make mistakes.  You should keep your receipts to make sure that there aren't problems.

While I actually like the towel policy (to help fight chair hogs), I agree with checking your bill daily.  On our last 3 cruises, we had charges for drinks even though we have the drink package 😞

I'm curious about this towel policy.  What's to stop someone from stealing your towel from a chair if you leave to go get a drink or something like that?  Is there any recourse if you tell them it was taken?  My wife is talking about taking our own towels (a friend who's going to be on the cruise is doing this).  I just think this might further encourage towel taking.

I guess I'm just used to Disney and Carnival where towels are easily available on deck from a box.  No worries about being charged for towels.

If I could ask another question.  I know that extension cords are not permitted, but my wife is wondering about those plugs that you can plug into a slot and it expands it to 2 or 3 or even 6 outlets from the 1 or 2.  It's not technically an extension cord, but would they consider it as such?

13 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

If I could ask another question.  I know that extension cords are not permitted, but my wife is wondering about those plugs that you can plug into a slot and it expands it to 2 or 3 or even 6 outlets from the 1 or 2.  It's not technically an extension cord, but would they consider it as such?

Unpredictable, you really don't know what they will deem dangerous.

I am curious about the towel situation too.  With kids, they can very easily walk away from their towels and then you don't know who the towels belong to when you go hunting for them.  I've contemplated bringing my own towels this time since at least I could identify them at some point and if we lost them then it is far less than $25USD each....