Choosing Panama Canal Cruise

Mare10

I haven't posted here in a long time as we haven't been able to cruise for awhile!  We have decided on a Panama Canal Cruise for the upcoming 50th wedding anniversary.  I'm just starting to research.  We live in Southern California so are looking at the 19 day round trip LA or we could fly to Florida and do the 15 day back to LA.  This will probably be our only time to do a cruise to Panama so would love opinions on which cruise to pick.  I think we would prefer the Coral through the old locks just from what I've already read.  Thanks in advance for your opinions!

19 minutes ago, Mare10 said:

I haven't posted here in a long time as we haven't been able to cruise for awhile!  We have decided on a Panama Canal Cruise for the upcoming 50th wedding anniversary.  I'm just starting to research.  We live in Southern California so are looking at the 19 day round trip LA or we could fly to Florida and do the 15 day back to LA.  This will probably be our only time to do a cruise to Panama so would love opinions on which cruise to pick.  I think we would prefer the Coral through the old locks just from what I've already read.  Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I would definitely go for the 15 day one where you have to fly. That cruise will give you the full Panama Canal transit experience crossing all the locks.

The roundtrip from LA although nice because no flying involved, it's only a partial transit experience. I haven't done a partial transit yet but I believe with partial transits you just pass through one set of locks and then turn back around to come back home ( not the full panama canal crossing)

So if this is your only Panama Canal cruise, definitely go with the full crossing experience.

I went on my first Panama Canal Cruise in November through the new locks. Now I feel obligated to book another one through the old locks. I want to experience both.

Edited by Georgie562
  • Like 2

Thank you Georgie for your quick response.  I will focus on the Florida to LA full transit on Princess!  The research is a good part of the fun.  This is the one cruise my hubby is really interested in.... excited!!!!!

We did a 15 day PC cruise this past November on another cruiseline. LA-Miami.

Also did the new locks, it was quite an experience and would highly recommend.

The ship we sailed had an observation deck and the we were allowed access to the bow for great views.

Enjoy...

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

• Like 1

DH and I last April did the 19 day on the Island. It was round trip LA. 

Now this only went through the first two locks, sat over night in the lake then the next morning we went back through

the old locks.  Hubby and I said it was our best cruise so far.  We had a mini suite for the first time and had breakfast delivered almost every morning. Because this was a long cruise it felt that the staff was relaxed as well. 

We are now doing a 15 day  cruise from Florida to LA in December 2019.  Normally we do not like to fly that far but this trip is two fold for us as we have family that live in Florida to visit. I am looking forward to the 15 day one too!

• Thanks 1

I highly recommend the ocean to ocean and on the Coral if possible   I have done it twice, and am planning on booking it again in 2021.  Both times were great and can't wait for my third time as going with friends who never experienced it!

• Like 2

15 day full transit on the Coral is a good choice. Old locks are also more interesting.. Have been through the new locks and it isn't as as nice. There is lots of space around the ship. Tugs are used to keep the ship centered instead of the mules on the old locks. We have done the P.C. five times including 2 full transits. The full transits are the best and would certainly choose that route. Also, on the full transit the ports are better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgie562 said:

. . .

So if this is your only Panama Canal cruise, definitely go with the full crossing experience.

. . .

I concur!  We have done two full transits:  WB in 1999 on Celebrity Zenith, EB in 2013 on Coral P.  And a partial in 2008 on Coral P. from Ft. Lauderdale.  In Feb. 2018, we were scheduled to do partial on Caribbean P to experience the new lock, but unfortunately had to cancel that one.

12 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

The roundtrip from LA although nice because no flying involved, it's only a partial transit experience. I haven't done a partial transit yet but I believe with partial transits you just pass through one set of locks and then turn back around to come back home ( not the full panama canal crossing)

The partial which is a roundtrip L.A. differs from the partial which is roundtrip Fort Lauderdale.

The one from Fort Lauderdale goes through the three Caribbean side locks into Gatun Lake and then later in the day exits those same locks. All you see are those three locks and the lake.

The one from L.A. goes through the three Pacific side locks and then continues through the Culebra cut all the way to Gatun Lake before doing the same route back to the Pacific. In other words, it is the full Panama Canal transit except for the three locks on the Caribbean side.

So while the full transit experience is nice as well as going to some Caribbean side ports, taking the partial from L.A. really does not miss much of the Canal itself, just three locks which are very similar to the ones on the Pacific side.

Whichever itinerary the OP chooses, the OP should read the book "The Path Between The Seas" which is an excellent telling of the story of the construction of the Panama Canal.  https://www.amazon.com/Path-Between-Seas-Creation-1870-1914/dp/0671244094/ref=sr_1_1?keywords="The+Path+Between+The+Seas"&qid=1552720454&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Just booked the 15 day  LA to Fort Lauderdale Oct 18 on Coral. First full transit, did the round trip from Fort Lauderdale a few years ago. Picked this one so no need for hotel flying from Colorado.

I would definitely recommend the full transit through the original locks.  Our first Panama experience was a partial transit.  We only wanted more and have now done 3 full transits.  There is always something more to learn or see.  As caribill said, the Path Between the Seas is a must read for anyone traversing the Canal.

• Like 1

Another vote for the full transit! We did the Island in 2015 FLL to LA and just completed SFO to FLL on the Coral. We loved both cruises but you do the canal early in the cruise leaving from Florida which we preferred. You can't go wrong with the Coral, is a favorite!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 11:18 AM, Mare10 said:

I also live in Southern California and have done both of these cruises

I did the RT LA several years ago on the old Regal (loved that ship)

Did the trip from Florida to LA last year and loved it. I would highly suggest that one. I think it gives you a much clearer picture of the canal. I also really loved sailing the lake.

• Like 1

We booked the Coral from Florida to San Francisco in October 2019.  Decided to do this way, because I prefer to fly to Florida and get on a ship, vs get off there and wait all day for a non stop flight back to California.  

• Like 1

We have done a 17 day full transit - SF to FLL - and also done the 19 day partial transit out of LA. Both were the old locks on Coral Princess. While the flights for the LA trip were vastly preferable to the flight from FLL I would recommend the full transit. If you are coming from Florida you will likely have excursions available in the lake on the way through the canal. If you do the 19 day partial you will be coming from the Pacific side and will spend the night anchored in the lake but will have no excursions available there as the excursions all go toward the Pacific side and you have just come from there.

For both of those cruises we had the same cabin: B731.  It's an Ocean View all the way aft on Baja deck. It is just steps away from the aft viewing deck that spans the entire back of the ship and has multiple loungers. It is very (very!) underutilized and is pretty much like having a gigantic balcony mostly to yourself. The window looks out onto that deck but I have tried to see into the cabin from outside and, during the day, I can't see in the window. At night we drew the blackout curtains. We would step out onto that aft deck and watch the dolphins playing in the wake. One night on the 17 day crossing there was a big lightning storm in the (not too far) distance and it was awesome to watch from that viewing deck. We liked the cabin so much on the 17 day full transit in 2015 that we booked it again for the 19 day in 2018.

I would definitely recommend the old locks first. You can do the new locks later.

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

We booked the Coral from Florida to San Francisco in October 2019.  Decided to do this way, because I prefer to fly to Florida and get on a ship, vs get off there and wait all day for a non stop flight back to California.  

Flights from FLL to SMF (Sacramento) are a major drag. We've done it a couple of times and have to do it again in November. I think you made the right decision to do it the other way.

Edited by Thrak

Know what you mean, we fly in and out of San Francisco... regardless, it is easier to fly to Florida in am vs fly back late in day.  

We did a transatlantic from Barcelona to Florida  on the Royal a year or so ago, that helped me make my decision.  Live and learn.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We have done a 17 day full transit - SF to FLL - and also done the 19 day partial transit out of LA. Both were the old locks on Coral Princess. While the flights for the LA trip were vastly preferable to the flight from FLL I would recommend the full transit. If you are coming from Florida you will likely have excursions available in the lake on the way through the canal. If you do the 19 day partial you will be coming from the Pacific side and will spend the night anchored in the lake but will have no excursions available there as the excursions all go toward the Pacific side and you have just come from there.

For both of those cruises we had the same cabin: B731.  It's an Ocean View all the way aft on Baja deck. It is just steps away from the aft viewing deck that spans the entire back of the ship and has multiple loungers. It is very (very!) underutilized and is pretty much like having a gigantic balcony mostly to yourself. The window looks out onto that deck but I have tried to see into the cabin from outside and, during the day, I can't see in the window. At night we drew the blackout curtains. We would step out onto that aft deck and watch the dolphins playing in the wake. One night on the 17 day crossing there was a big lightning storm in the (not too far) distance and it was awesome to watch from that viewing deck. We liked the cabin so much on the 17 day full transit in 2015 that we booked it again for the 19 day in 2018.

I would definitely recommend the old locks first. You can do the new locks later.

We have C722 on Coral for a partial. Looking forward to that aft viewing deck!! 😃

• Like 1

I really appreciate everyone's input!!!!!  This research is part of the fun for sure!  For those that recommend the aft cabins have you noticed much engine noise or bumpiness?  On a Hawaiian Islands cruise we had a mini suite in the way aft.... Grand Princess.  The hubby wasn't keen on the noisiness!  

After all the tips I've ordered the book that was recommended!!!!!!

Love Cruise Critic!

Edited by Mare10