Pinnacle Grill is it worth the expense?

Work to travel

9 minutes ago, Work to travel said:

Hello.  We are sailing with the Holland America Zuiderdam on March 30.  Trying to find out if people feel the Pinnacle Grill is worth the fee?

Thanks

You'll get an array of answers depending on what people's experience has been on different ships.  PG's are not always consistent on the ships.

For us, other than one cruise, it has definitely been worth it and we have enjoyed our meals there.

No other topic  is as subjective as food.   I suggest you search for a menu and decide if it  sounds pleasing and pleasing enough to pay $35 pp  without wine.     What I think is sort of immaterial  because  I am not you !!    Likewise everyone's   reaction will be for them.  10 people may rave  but you may hate it .   Or 10 people hate it and you love it....   Its a tough question.

I have found it worth the extra money every time I have dined there.  Even on the Rotterdam with no sea view the service, food and quiet is worth it.  I think I will pass on de Libreje pop up as it was to different for me.  I will pass on Rudi's pop up too if it isn't the first couple days of the cruise.  The seafood was not up to snuff but it was the usual elegant PG service experience.  I have never had slow service in the PG as some have experienced.  I am so glad the new menu hasn't nixed my favorites, steak tartare, lobster bisque and the Kurabota pork chops.  The new menu looks very nice. 

• Like 1

We never went when we would have had to pay full price.  But then we got a comp from our HAL PCC and tried it, liked it.  We have had a couple of comps from the PCC, and a couple of times we went using our Mariner discount (3* = 25% off; 4* and up = 50% off).  It's certainly worth it to me once a cruise if I have a discount; if you are not up to Mariners level for discounts, maybe try a dining package, or just try it once, then you'll have one data point. 

For us, we have enjoyed the quieter and less bustling atmosphere for a special occasion, usually DH's birthday.  The food has been mostly excellent, not all.   But we feel it's not worth that much of an upgrade to make it a regular thing for us.  

Many people spend that much money on a dinner out on a regular basis at home... we don't, so it's a big deal for us, especially after we figure we've already paid for a nice dinner in the MDR, so for us. 

I'd suggest checking out the menu first to see if there is something you'd really enjoy eating.  I've checked out the menu at Caneletto's moslty every cruise and still can't justify it for us.  Same for Tamarind, although we did try it last cruise and it was near disaster for DH, he'll never do that again, just not his cup of tea.   We'll use PG for special occasions and that once a cruise change of pace.  m--

For the way I prefer to dine it is worth it.  I enjoy a more intimate setting, in an uncrowded and serene atmosphere, where I am not rushed and I have good quality of food and service.  On the Zuiderdam, specifically, this is what I got.  I would also suggest you try the lunch to see if it’s something you would enjoy, but be aware that on the Zuiderdam the Pinnacle Grill reservations fill up quickly.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bakcd said:

Does anyone have a recent experience in the PG on the Maasdam?

Last September, 2018, we were happy to be back in the MDR and did not use our second "free" Pinnacle dinner. But it was the perfect place to celebrate an important birthday and the special chocolate cake was delicious, even better when stored in the cabin fridge and the lush icing got richly dense and fudge-like. I'd do it again, just for the cake.

Edited by OlsSalt

20 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

If you are not sure you want to try the PG at $35.00 a person, try lunch which I think is still $10.00 a person. A very nice 3 course meal.

Excellent suggestion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Last September, 2018, we were happy to be back in the MDR and did not use our second "free" Pinnacle dinner. But it was the perfect place to celebrate an important birthday and the special chocolate cake was delicious, even better when stored in the cabin fridge and the lush icing got richly dense and fudge-like. I'd do it again, just for the cake.

I didn't see the chocolate lava cake on the new menu.... dang!   And no lemon tart....  I guess it'll be the little slice of key lime pie. 

3 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I didn't see the chocolate lava cake on the new menu.... dang!   And no lemon tart....  I guess it'll be the little slice of key lime pie. 

The special B-day cake is a layer cake - a big square one for four lovely servings with very lush frosting  - I think they track birthdays and know ahead of time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The special B-day cake is a layer cake - a big square one for four lovely servings with very lush frosting  - I think they track birthdays and know ahead of time.

The cake actually is one of the best desserts on the ship.

On every HAL cruise someone in our group has a birthday or some other important occasion, real or imagined. 😉

Just mention to the staff and they always have accommodated us.   

• Like 1

I'm one who loves the Pinnacle Grill for dinner, and generally go there about once a week on each cruise, no matter how long the cruise.
I love the atmosphere, service, and the food is divine! Such an improvement over the dining room, especially the food.

• Like 2

As already mentioned this is a very subjective question.  While I like the Pinnacle Dinner, for $35 pp I do not see that added value.  Plus, the experience varies so much that on some ships it is much better than on others (IMO).

Definitely try the Pinnacle Lunch however.  For $10 pp it is a much better value (IMO) and you get a very nice experience.

If you are on a ship that has one, I prefer the Tamarind dinner experience over the Pinnacle. 

• Like 3

Ruth, we also enjoy the Pinnacle and often make reservations for the first night to avoid the rush in the dining room for anytime seating.   Lunch on a Sea day is also enjoyable.

we found the Pinnacle to be very good on the Rotterdam last year.

4 hours ago, kazu said:

You'll get an array of answers depending on what people's experience has been on different ships.  PG's are not always consistent on the ships.

Inconsistency of experience in the PG is the consistent experience on HAL ships that I have found.  

In recent years, HAL became "green-oriented" and changed their PG beef supplier from Sterling Silver to Double R Ranch which supplies beef "more green-oriented" in the view of the executives in Seattle.  Since, my experience ordering beef entrees has been consistent:  I leave the dining room disappointed in my choice of entree.  Thus, on future HAL cruises, I will not be ordering a beef entree at the PG.  Their other entrees usually are very good to excellent, particularly the Pork Chops.

Is PG worth the additional cost?  Yes,  because it does offer a different dining experience from the MDR or the Lido Restaurant.  

I'm a big fan of the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind.   I eat at one of the Specialty dining rooms every night and forgo the MDR altogether.  I'd rather take a lesser cabin choice and pay for the dining....sure to get some flack here, but that's what I enjoy.    I love the intimacy and the service.  It's whatever floats your boat....no pun intended.   I'm a foodie and enjoy everything about the Pinnacle :classic_love:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

No other topic  is as subjective as food.   I suggest you search for a menu and decide if it  sounds pleasing and pleasing enough to pay $35 pp  without wine.     What I think is sort of immaterial  because  I am not you !!    Likewise everyone's   reaction will be for them.  10 people may rave  but you may hate it .   Or 10 people hate it and you love it....   Its a tough question.

The sample menu is on HAL's website.  Since you're booked, you can easily access it and decide if anything appeals to your taste.  We started a tradition of eating in the PG the last night of each cruise.  It underscores a nice cruise and is special.  I like it much better now that I am 4* because I receive a 50% discount.  Since my husband died, I've treated my friends to dinner there on that last night.  I am unsure if I would spring for the same treat without the discount, though.

My advice?  At least try it.  You won't know whether it's worth it until you do.