Pinnacle Grill is it worth the expense?

Work to travel

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My table was next to a table where one guest ordered this appetizer.  My opinion:  it appeared ostentatious.  

Like the chocolate tree. Sometimes they simply try too hard.

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

It is worth it for a change of setting. Food itself and service will bring very mixed reactions. But it is always a special occasion setting change of pace.

$35 ($70 for DW and I) for 'a change of setting'? Sorry, but if the food quality and service don't also measure up to the extra charge (like they do at Tamarind), it's a non-starter for me.

22 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

I didn't see the chocolate lava cake on the new menu.... dang!   And no lemon tart....  I guess it'll be the little slice of key lime pie. 

Personally , I am not a fan of deserts,  but enjoy a cheese plate of  several variety and a glass of  a good port     I did not see chaese  plates shown.       In looking at  the photos, the presentations are nice,  serving a much smaller dinner service gives  everyone time to give each dish  finesse, not possible in   the Main Dining room.     

Agree that you have to try to it know if it's worth it.  Keep in mind that many who dine in the PG are not paying $35.  5 Star Mariners get some free meals, 4 Star get 50% off, and 3 Star get 25% off.  Add to that quite a few who book through various cruise/travel agents that include free PG meals as a perk.

I have posted quite a few times that DW and I have been underwhelmed by our dinner experience in the PG during our last few cruises.  But we now get some free meals and that is certainly worth the price :).  We agree with the other poster who mentioned that the change from Sterling Silver to Double R Ranch Beef amounted to big reduction in quality.  And we also were not pleased when they eliminated the Wagyu Beef burgers at lunch (we really enjoy PG lunches) and replaced it with beef of lesser quality (and cost for HAL).

What makes the PG an even worse experience for us, is that we cruise on many other lines and are cognizant of how could the PG could be....if HAL put more effort (and a little money) into the venue and its offerings.  Perhaps we will see improvements in the future :).

Hank

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Personally , I am not a fan of deserts,  but enjoy a cheese plate of  several variety and a glass of  a good port     I did not see chaese  plates shown. 

Cheese plates are always available.  All you have to do is ask.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

If you are on a ship that has one, I prefer the Tamarind dinner experience over the Pinnacle.

I agree 100%, I wish they would replace the, not any better than Olive Garden, Canaletto Italian with Tamarind on the Vista class ships. I would gladly pay $35 for dinner at the Tamarind if available.  I think Tamarind is only $20 or $25 and well worth the cost.  

• Like 2

On 3/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, Work to travel said:

Hello.  We are sailing with the Holland America Zuiderdam on March 30.  Trying to find out if people feel the Pinnacle Grill is worth the fee?

Thanks

We dined twice in Pinnacle on Z'dam during recent cruise.  Well worth it just for a change.  

57 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

How is the breakfast menu for those that choose Neptune or higher?

The breakfast menu in the Pinnacle Grill (or Club Orange on the two newest ships) for Neptune & Pinnacle passengers is the same as the dining room menu for all other passengers. The difference is location and atmosphere in there.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:15 PM, Hlitner said:

Agree that you have to try to it know if it's worth it.  Keep in mind that many who dine in the PG are not paying $35.  5 Star Mariners get some free meals, 4 Star get 50% off, and 3 Star get 25% off.  Add to that quite a few who book through various cruise/travel agents that include free PG meals as a perk.

And that is so true. Over the years I think we have only paid for our PG Dinner about 10-15% of the time and even then, it would have been with either our 3 or 4 star discount at that time. 

Can you use On Board Credits to pay the supplement for Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind?  I just booked a spa treatment but didn't realise you had to pay in advance.  Was going to pre-book Pinnacle Grill but am I better waiting till we are on board to use the credits?  Not sure what else I'll use the credits for, as will probably get a  drinks package.

36 minutes ago, J4NEC said:

Can you use On Board Credits to pay the supplement for Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind?  I just booked a spa treatment but didn't realise you had to pay in advance.  Was going to pre-book Pinnacle Grill but am I better waiting till we are on board to use the credits?  Not sure what else I'll use the credits for, as will probably get a  drinks package.

Yes you can, but you may not have a lot of PG choices for days and reservation times after you board. Tamarind is a smaller venue and sells out quickly, I would suggest booking more than one night there.

Edited by terrydtx

Here is a pull from my review of the PG on Zuiderdam in August of 2018:

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill one night. We have eaten in the Pinnacle Grill on several different ships so I’m going to be a little critical here.  The past few times I have not really felt that the experience was worth the upcharge of $35.00. This occasion was no different. When we were seated, I noticed a whole bunch of salt or something similar all over my seat, I actually had to get up and brush it all off. The menu was stained and actually torn in the corner. Never saw that in the MDR. The food was very good and so was the service but again, I don’t believe that the whole experience is worth the extra $35.00  It was a better value when it was only $20.00.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, Work to travel said:

Hello.  We are sailing with the Holland America Zuiderdam on March 30.  Trying to find out if people feel the Pinnacle Grill is worth the fee?

Thanks

Perhaps try the lunch menu first - $10.00, and nice choices on the menu.  Very attentive service & quiet surroundings.

• Like 1