Koningsdam/slightly disappointed

may1021

3 Star Mariner and love HAL. Did a January 11 day cruise.   This is my 2nd time on this ship. Lovely ship with terrific ambiance.  HAL does have a nice feel to it for me.

We had done an RCCL cruise before this one to Cuba.  Absolutely bare bones, small  ship but one of the few choices for Cuba in January.  Have been on RCCL before.  Was not expecting much. We were very surprised that we liked the food on RCCL better than HAL this year.

I know food is subjective.  We liked the menu better on RCCL.  Did eat in Tamarind one night which is wonderful.   Also did the buffet one night to see if this would make us happier.  Service there was awful.  We had to clear our own table when it came time for dessert.  Waiter was there but skirted around us and never came near us.   Who knows.  Absolutely shocked that we preferred RCCL food to HAL because I sing HAL praises to all my friends who cruise.

Was surprised to see HAL is beginning to charge for a 2nd entrée.   We saw many people eating 2 entrees in January but don't think the charge had started then.    On RCCL they kept asking us if we wanted another entrée/no charge.  We didn't because we couldn't finish what we had.

Also not a fan of the Orange Club concept.  Probably jealousy on my part but I was not willing to pay an extra $100 a day for small dining room with expanded services.

Still a fan of HAL and will cruise with them again.

• Like 1

Cruising is changing; that's for sure.  As to whether all of us like these changes----well, that's another story.  My sister and brother-in-law, who booked HAL (on the Oosterdam) because I had sung this line's praises for years, loved it except for the wait staff in the Lido.  She commented as did the OP about the lack of service in clearing the tables.  I asked her if she complained to the Front Desk, and she said she never thought of doing so.  This makes numerous times I've heard someone complain about lack of Lido table recently.  Will be on Oosterdam in two weeks, so can see for myself if this was a glitch on my sister's cruise or if this is a regular, bothersome occurrence on that particular ship.  Unfortunately, I'm leaning toward the latter, since several passengers have noticed.  As HA is known for its service, I hope they can "get their act together." 

2 hours ago, may1021 said:

3 Star Mariner and love HAL. Did a January 11 day cruise.   This is my 2nd time on this ship. Lovely ship with terrific ambiance.  HAL does have a nice feel to it for me.

We had done an RCCL cruise before this one to Cuba.  Absolutely bare bones, small  ship but one of the few choices for Cuba in January.  Have been on RCCL before.  Was not expecting much. We were very surprised that we liked the food on RCCL better than HAL this year.

I know food is subjective.  We liked the menu better on RCCL.  Did eat in Tamarind one night which is wonderful.   Also did the buffet one night to see if this would make us happier.  Service there was awful.  We had to clear our own table when it came time for dessert.  Waiter was there but skirted around us and never came near us.   Who knows.  Absolutely shocked that we preferred RCCL food to HAL because I sing HAL praises to all my friends who cruise.

Was surprised to see HAL is beginning to charge for a 2nd entrée.   We saw many people eating 2 entrees in January but don't think the charge had started then.    On RCCL they kept asking us if we wanted another entrée/no charge.  We didn't because we couldn't finish what we had.

Also not a fan of the Orange Club concept.  Probably jealousy on my part but I was not willing to pay an extra $100 a day for small dining room with expanded services.

I didn't love the K a year ago when we sailed to the Caribbean, but didn't hate it. So I booked again for this winter because of the itinerary. Just don't like that ship. I don't know what it is, maybe the size, but it didn't "feel like HAL" to me. 

7 hours ago, may1021 said:

We will be sailing on the Koningsdam June 1st for a Greek Island cruise.  This will be our first with HAL, being a Platinum member with Princess & having sailed on two cruises with RCCL.  I do agree that meals on a cruise are subjective and I hope that we're not disappointed. 

On another note, I've noticed that people on Cruise Critic refer to the main course as an entrée. In Canada and most of Europe an entrée is what one would call an appetizer or starter.  It's usually the first course of a meal.  The second course is called the main or plat principal in French.  I believe this practice is only used in the US.  

• Like 2

I am just off the Koningsdam yesterday and had a totally different Lido experience.  We all commented at how efficient the Lido staff was at clearing tables, bringing us coffee, juice, water during breakfast and lunch and of course their smiles.......no complaints from us in that department.

Edited by doone
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:23 AM, HMSDingy said:

We will be sailing on the Koningsdam June 1st for a Greek Island cruise.  This will be our first with HAL, being a Platinum member with Princess & having sailed on two cruises with RCCL.  I do agree that meals on a cruise are subjective and I hope that we're not disappointed. 

On another note, I've noticed that people on Cruise Critic refer to the main course as an entrée. In Canada and most of Europe an entrée is what one would call an appetizer or starter.  It's usually the first course of a meal.  The second course is called the main or plat principal in French.  I believe this practice is only used in the US.  

I think this may be regional difference in Quebec. 

I've lived in Ontario, Alberta and B.C. and in my experience an entree always refers to the main course, not the appetizer or starter. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 12:23 AM, HMSDingy said:

On another note, I've noticed that people on Cruise Critic refer to the main course as an entrée. In Canada and most of Europe an entrée is what one would call an appetizer or starter

Might be a regional thing in canada, we are in Alberta, grew up in BC and an entree has always been the main 

• Like 1

Entrée means Entry in French.

language can be funny, and the term has been used for various parts of the meal since the 17th Century, but mostly as a first part of the menu. Sometimes depicting a hot course after the soup, later the cold first course hefore soup etc...

in most countries, it means Starter,  except in the USA and parts of Canada where the meaning is Main Course.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Despegue said:

in most countries, it means Starter,  except in the USA and parts of Canada where the meaning is Main Course.

Exactly.  Here in western Canada it means the main course.  We don't even want to talk about the various courses in an Italian menu! :classic_ohmy:

Edited by Chinook Wind

On 3/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Cruising is changing; that's for sure.  She commented as did the OP about the lack of service in clearing the tables. .... This makes numerous times I've heard someone complain about lack of Lido table recently.  

We noticed on the Volendam the much reduced Lido staff and therefore the subsequent lack of service.  This was particularly obvious in a couple of ports when excursions ran a bit late and we missed the early traditional dining.  We usually had to request water or coffee at breakfast and when we ate dinner there it was easier to find another table and 'start' again with dessert.  But any time we could catch the eye of a waiter any request was answered with a cheery smile offering the impression nothing was too much trouble.

It was my impression that their primary task was to clear and wipe a table as quickly as possible to keep a steady flow of diners.  

But I use a cane for balance and many a time one of the harried table waiters would offer help so I shouldn't really complain about table clearing service I guess.

Edited by Been There, Planning That

On 3/18/2019 at 1:25 PM, SeaCBear said:

I think this may be regional difference in Quebec. 

I've lived in Ontario, Alberta and B.C. and in my experience an entree always refers to the main course, not the appetizer or starter. 

Actually it's not only Quebec.  It was the same when we were in Paris last year as it is in Italy.  Well at least my part of Italy.😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Actually it's not only Quebec.  It was the same when we were in Paris last year as it is in Italy.  Well at least my part of Italy.😎

Sorry, yes, I meant that terminology is regional in Canada, not internationally.  I think it's probably the French influence in Quebec that explains this Canadian difference.  Yes, in Europe entree often refers to the starter (I'm British, so I still tend to call it a starter rather than an appetizer!). 

On 3/16/2019 at 8:13 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I didn't love the K a year ago when we sailed to the Caribbean, but didn't hate it. So I booked again for this winter because of the itinerary. Just don't like that ship. I don't know what it is, maybe the size, but it didn't "feel like HAL" to me. 

I sailed te K when it was new and did not care for it.  I was the Chaplain.  I was recently a passenger on the Nieuw Statendam and I liked much better. I got used to the bigness and found it all a bit shocking when first I was on the Koningsdam/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Himself said:

I sailed te K when it was new and did not care for it.  I was the Chaplain.  I was recently a passenger on the Nieuw Statendam and I liked much better. I got used to the bigness and found it all a bit shocking when first I was on the Koningsdam/

Reading this comment by you Father rather mirrors my thinking.  I won't say that I was "shocked" when I embarked on Nieuw Statendam.  But, surely, she (and her Sister) is not in the traditional HAL mold in some respects. 

I think it needs to be emphasized with the introduction of this new Class of ships what has not been changed:  the kind, warm, friendly service of the HAL crew.  As along as the ship's Master, Hotel Director, etc. are guest-oriented, the HAL "experience" will still be there.    

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

Description

An entrée in modern French table service and that of much of the English-speaking world is a dish served before the main course of a meal. Outside of North America it is generally synonymous with the terms hors d'oeuvre, appetizer or starter. Wikipedia

19 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

The rest of the world knows that entree means the starter dish after soup & those from the USA & western Canada should use the correct term on this international forum.

Since the majority of posters on CC are from the US and Canada the North American use should stand.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

The rest of the world knows that entree means the starter dish after soup & those from the USA & western Canada should use the correct term on this international forum.

The last time I looked the vast majority of posts on this international forum were from the USA and Canada and it is based in North America so I feel we are just fine sticking with what we know the word to be. If I  get on a European based forum I will know what to expect regarding the word there and certainly would not expect them to change their understanding of it based on me being at that forum. You should do the same here.

Edited by notladjr
  • Like 1