Accident on Mariner

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/royal-caribbean-temporarily-closes-trampoline-attraction-at-center-of-10-million-injury-lawsuit

It appears they have closed down the Skypad.  My reservation still shows on my calendar for my April 26th Mariner cruise but it isn't available on the cruise planner anymore

Edited by Tree_skier

48 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/royal-caribbean-temporarily-closes-trampoline-attraction-at-center-of-10-million-injury-lawsuit

It appears they have closed down the Skypad.  My reservation still shows on my calendar for my April 26th Mariner cruise but it isn't available on the cruise planner anymore

Yeah I expect this will be a non-starter depending on how the lawsuit plays out.  Not sure they could argue any way he doesn't have a claim or deserve compensation, not convinced it should be $10M or that the injuries are permanent but I'm not likely to get actual facts anywhere.

The lawyer is the one setting the monetary amount at $10 million.  The higher the amount the more money he/she can make as he/she gets a large percentage of the award. Last week while watching TV I counted 3 different ads for personal injury law firms  during one commercial break. I have a friend ( and she is still a friend) who fell at work and sustained an injury to her wrist which did require several surgeries. She received an award of $500,000 She has full use of her wrist and hand and is able to do anything she wants except she says she can no longer work. I have seen her use that hand to do fine motor skills with no problem. I think law suits and settlements have gotten out of hand.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

The lawyer is the one setting the monetary amount at $10 million.  The higher the amount the more money he/she can make as he/she gets a large percentage of the award. Last week while watching TV I counted 3 different ads for personal injury law firms  during one commercial break. I have a friend ( and she is still a friend) who fell at work and sustained an injury to her wrist which did require several surgeries. She received an award of $500,000 She has full use of her wrist and hand and is able to do anything she wants except she says she can no longer work. I have seen her use that hand to do fine motor skills with no problem. I think law suits and settlements have gotten out of hand.

Ugh yep, it harms those that truly need it and cannot do anything any longer versus those that just don't want to!  DH was in law enforcement which has great benefits if you go out on a disability - he watched a good friend who had a stroke get the run around trying to get benefits versus some who were completely gaming the system ("slipping" every time there was a floor and a witness).

And I get the victim is young, and if fully disabled, has 40 working years ahead of him, but even using 40 years those numbers are crazy, and I think I saw here they've already got a known cruise line lawyer who likely was calling him up the second he heard of this on the scanners!

So what are everyone's thoughts?  Will they keep the Sky Pads closed indefinitely?  Our kids loved it on Mariner and we have it booked again next summer.  But now, it makes me nervous even if they do re-open them.

11 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

So what are everyone's thoughts?  Will they keep the Sky Pads closed indefinitely?  Our kids loved it on Mariner and we have it booked again next summer.  But now, it makes me nervous even if they do re-open them.

It will a pasta place....! 😁🍜

Rubber-bands at sea was a stupid idea to begin with! 

But if your kids are smaller they might not bounce to the deck as hard! 👍 

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

It will a pasta place....! 😁🍜

Rubber-bands at sea was a stupid idea to begin with! 

But if your kids are smaller they might not bounce to the deck as hard! 👍 

Correct if I'm wrong, but haven't several folks been hurt on FlowRider 

4 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

You are missing the point again 🙄

Kind of hard of us understanding your point of view  when you don't explain your point of view

When you post you have a tendency that you expect all of us are mind readers in regards to your point of view.

Edited by gatour

26 minutes ago, gatour said:

Kind of hard of us understanding your point of view  when you don't explain your point of view

When you post you have a tendency that you expect all of us are mind readers in regards to your point of view.

Equipment failure vs human failure....and he knew that one I suppose🙄

I think they are trying to find a way to make them safer vs. just stopping them all together. Just speculation, I do not know for sure, but It seems like they were popular, so making sure they are safe, so they could keep them, makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

*IF* it can be shown that RCI took the proper steps regarding maintenance & training, then yes, I think they are off the hook.  But wouldn't it be the responsibility of the suing party to prove they DIDN'T do the right inspections/maintenance/training?  How do you prove that? 

It is called documentation. If Royal does not have paper work proving that equipment inspections were performed and the operators of the attraction were properly trained then they are probably going to  be found negligent and liable. I am sure that boy's lawyer is going to request that documentation. OSHA can't get involved because it's a cruise ship. I agree with the above post that Royal has deep pockets and will settle out of court. Too bad though I think we might see the last of SKY PAD.

23 hours ago, Mawelch said:

It is called documentation. If Royal does not have paper work proving that equipment inspections were performed and the operators of the attraction were properly trained then they are probably going to  be found negligent and liable. I am sure that boy's lawyer is going to request that documentation. OSHA can't get involved because it's a cruise ship. I agree with the above post that Royal has deep pockets and will settle out of court. Too bad though I think we might see the last of SKY PAD.

OSHA can't get involved because the injured was not an employee.  OSHA ONLY deals with employer/employee situations, they have no jurisdiction with non-employees.

Most likely, this will be settled with non-disclosure requirements.

I was on that sailing when he had the accident and we spoke to a couple that said they did the sky pad and never signed anything. I will say that was the fastest cruise ship I've ever been on. We came into port that Saturday night and they never even tied up. When they wheeled the gentleman off on the gurney there was a big cheer from everyone on that side of the ship. Then we turned around in the basin and headed back out. 

I did this attraction on Independence back in March with my 8 year old. It seemed like a great idea at the time. I was weighed, strapped in and VR goggles on. It starts off simple til you get your bearings. But as you bunch they actually lift you higher as the game progresses, over 2 minutes. Since you can’t see the ground, you’re just relying on the visuals in the goggles. But when you feel that it is taking longer to touch the matt, you get these butterflies. Quite intense. Did it a second time with my  without the goggles and it was crazy how high you get lifted up gradually after each bounce. Overall it was thrilling. If you had goggles on and the cord snapped, it’s  like falling blind folded to the ground. So I’m sure that guy got pretty wrecked. But $10 million wrecked... not sure.

i would do it again if it was open, but wouldn’t miss it much if it was replaced.

• Like 1