Do You Always Have A Cruise in the Hopper?

I wonder how often people here on CC book a cruise then drop it before the payment date.   So far we have never cancelled a cruise after we have put a deposit down.  

From what I've read in the past (not necessarily this thread) it seems some folks might be constantly booking a lot of cruises and end up dropping most of them.   

Just curious.  

Edited by ldubs

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wonder how often people here on CC book a cruise then drop it before the payment date.   So far we have never cancelled a cruise after we have put a deposit down.  

From what I've read in the past (not necessarily this thread) it seems some folks might be constantly booking a lot of cruises and end up dropping most of them.   

Just curious.  

We do not do it as a matter of course but we did cancel one cruise and moved the deposit to a different date (earlier) due to the possible timing of a grand child's arrival.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Is it just me but I can't even be happy unless I have 1 cruise planned no matter how far out.

My DW wants a break for this year (from cruising) and focus on land type vacations.

And that cruise is all the way in November 2020 but having it there makes me happy.

I get it as I used to be that way. Now that  my health is not so good and I am not as in a hurry to take a cruise. that said, cruising is easier than other trips for me but  it still takes a lot out of me. However if my health was  as good as it was even 5 years ago, yes I would be ready to go anytime! So, as you can still enjoy it sure go!

Oh I wish!  Cruising single now just isn't the same and the supplement sucks. Plus I've been spoiled - can't sail in anything less than a balcony cabin so that just adds to the cost.  Doesn't keep me from looking and adding cruises to the bucket list.  I've never repeated an itinerary (yet).  I do have one scheduled for Sept. '19 with my mom, so at least I have something to look forward to.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, olemissreb said:

Oh I wish!  Cruising single now just isn't the same and the supplement sucks. Plus I've been spoiled - can't sail in anything less than a balcony cabin so that just adds to the cost.  Doesn't keep me from looking and adding cruises to the bucket list.  I've never repeated an itinerary (yet).  I do have one scheduled for Sept. '19 with my mom, so at least I have something to look forward to.

I am sorry to hear you lost your husband.  I am sure that changes it for you. Have you thought of taking one of your  adult children with you? Perhaps take turns between them. Since you will have to pay for double occupancy anyway, just have them be good for their port charges and possibly ask them to pay for the upgrade from inside to balcony.  That would still be a deal for them. I know my daughter would jump at that.  I know with this last cruise booked she found there was a price drop and went and got us upgraded to a mini suite lol!. (we had booked a basic balcony)  I do  get what you are saying. I want a balcony, and I want the upgraded bedding too that not all balconies have. My daughter has told me about NCL has  single's rooms on their newest ships and they have a nice public area with a  wall to ceiling glass with great  ocean views.  She almost booked one last year but then a friend ended up going with her. She did get a chance to tour that area embarkation day and said it was really nice

2 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

I am sorry to hear you lost your husband.  I am sure that changes it for you. Have you thought of taking one of your  adult children with you? Perhaps take turns between them. Since you will have to pay for double occupancy anyway, just have them be good for their port charges and possibly ask them to pay for the upgrade from inside to balcony.  That would still be a deal for them. I know my daughter would jump at that.  I know with this last cruise booked she found there was a price drop and went and got us upgraded to a mini suite lol!. (we had booked a basic balcony)  I do  get what you are saying. I want a balcony, and I want the upgraded bedding too that not all balconies have. My daughter has told me about NCL has  single's rooms on their newest ships and they have a nice public area with a  wall to ceiling glass with great  ocean views.  She almost booked one last year but then a friend ended up going with her. She did get a chance to tour that area embarkation day and said it was really nice

the public area I mean is for  only those booked in the single cabins.

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

Well I didn't "lose" my husband per se...we divorced 3 years ago.  Right now, cruising will have to be put on hold since my youngest son is only a sophomore at the University of Kentucky (GO BIG BLUE!).  Until I can get him through the next 3-4 years, I'll just add cruises to my bucket list and try to save up.  Hopefully once he graduates, we can cruise Europe as a graduation present.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 11:22 PM, ldubs said:

I've had to cancel twice. Once due to a medical emergency. (Travel insurance covered the cruise and airline tickets.) Most recently, because the cruise conflicted with my parent's 50 wedding anniversary plans.  (I moved the deposit to a different cruise.)

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, olemissreb said:

Well I didn't "lose" my husband per se...we divorced 3 years ago.  Right now, cruising will have to be put on hold since my youngest son is only a sophomore at the University of Kentucky (GO BIG BLUE!).  Until I can get him through the next 3-4 years, I'll just add cruises to my bucket list and try to save up.  Hopefully once he graduates, we can cruise Europe as a graduation present.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can. I  don't cruise as often anymore either. Health issues. I am trying hard to look forward to this upcoming one we have but really I would be fine just staying home.  and I used to love to plan cruises. As soon as we were home I was planning another! guess time does change things for us.

If you miss cruising   look into those NCL singles rooms.  I liked NCL fairly well. They have great shows, lounges etc.  Their  main dining room food is  mediocre but their pay extra restaurants are great. It is obvious they gear you toward those.

Nope! We cruise about once every 3-5 years, but take tons of land-based vacations in between. At the moment we've got one cruise planned (December) out of four trips booked and four more planned but not booked yet, including a big African Safari next fall. 

Cruising fills a very specific niche for us -- when we need a break, but I'm too busy/stressed to enjoy planning a big trip and really need to decompress. That said, as work gets more and more crazy and the kids get older I can see us dipping into that well more often. 🙂 

We always have a cruise booked.  Right now we have 3 and unless something unforeseen happens we will be taking all of them.  I'll also book a "place holder" while on our November cruise.  I have moved a booking from one cruise to another but it's always been well before final payment.  

I don't always have one actually booked, but I generally know approximately when and where I want to be going next. I usually have at least one trip planned in detail with plane/train tickets/lodging/whatever is required booked, but we do a combination of different types of travel with different sized parts of our family (i.e. the 4 of us, us + extended family, the 2 of us, me + my mom, etc.)

Yep...only as of recent years but always needed something to look forward to.

We had 5 cruises booked and just completed Royal's Symphony.  Then shortly after we got up, DH and I booked another and back up to 5.  Our families think we're nuts, but good that many on here completely understand.  We're officially cruise addicted.

I have my overall vacation schedule roughly planned out about 1+ years in advance--I know basically what I'm doing from now until November 2020, although not all of that is actually booked. At the moment, I have 4 cruises in the hopper.

Basically everything is partially or fully booked except for the summer of 2020, and that may end up being a somewhat brutal road trip.

Edited by squick64

Not really, we have done for the last few years but only due to great prices/deals. We book a lot of mini breaks that are not cruises anyway.

The problem we have at the moment is we have done a lot of the cruises we want to do (that sail when our education holiday times fall) and I at least am a bit disillusioned with cruising at present.  We still have cruises like a transatlantic, a transpacific, a North Asian, a long Caribbean and the ultimate Antarctica cruise.

My husband is quite keen still but we have an eye for a land/train trip this year. Brexit is making a lot of us Brits put our holiday plans on hold but I am not spending the summer in a cottage in Norfolk. Heck no 😄.

Edited by Velvetwater

5 hours ago, fyree39 said:

To this Yank who hasn't been to England since 1974 (when the Tube was 10p), I'd love to summer in a cottage in Norfolk! lol

Right back at you with a beach break in California...over even a city one to be honest :).

To those not familiar with Norfolk, UK it is pretty...honest. I just like to get off this island!

Edited by Velvetwater