Extra for cabin attendant

44 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

I also heard they wont go above and beyond if you prepay , sometimes I do but sometimes I dont and I feel like getting the same service

We never prepay because if you get bad service, you will never get your money back.  Much rather receive the service and determine the value at the end of our cruise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

No need to shout at me 🙄 

No need to spread disparaging lies about hard working crew members under the guise of "not sure if it's true or not..."....that does not excuse your childish accusations. You need to learn to respect the crew members that work so hard to take care of their guests.

17 minutes ago, springfire said:

Not only was he wrong for shouting but you are indeed correct about the list.

14 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

No need to spread disparaging lies about hard working crew members under the guise of "not sure if it's true or not..."....that does not excuse your childish accusations. You need to learn to respect the crew members that work so hard to take care of their guests.

Um, OK. You need to re-read my posts. I prepay my tips and tip generously on top of that. *****

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Um, OK. You need to re-read my posts. I prepay my tips and tip generously on top of that. *****

I am glad you tip generously but words speak louder. And to insinuate stewards base their service on who pre-tipped or didn't says much more than your tips.

As far as tipping... 

At the beginning we let the steward know what additional pillows we need, and that they should save their time, and not make towel animals for us. The cabin steward should only have to make the bed, empty the trash bin, and change the towels. Everything else is spotless already due to my need for cleanliness. 

I do not tip extra beyond the auto gratuities, unless something specific warrants it.  

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 7:18 PM, mcatmcat said:

I wonder what people call as good service ( doing the bed and cleaning the bathroom?)  I prefer to over tip my main dinning room staff but I always leave to the cabin attendant between 10-20$

Having our cabin cleaned while we are at breakfast. They generally do our cabin first.

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

No I don't because I'm 100% confident that he makes a good living.  I'm not so sure that the CS does.  🙂

Hard to say what a good living is in many 3rd world countries, and the income needed to accomplish that.  

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Having our cabin cleaned while we are at breakfast. They generally do our cabin first.

We always have a hot room service breakfast on the balcony so we are probably one of the last cabins to be cleaned.

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

So all of you that tip extra, would you recommend they raise per-paid  gratuities to help cover the money they deserve?

Tipping extra, above and beyond the standard that RCI sets up, is only for good service IMHO.  Suppose you have really bad service?  They are still getting the minimum, but most will not tip over and above if that was the case.  

Tipping extra is just that....tipping extra.  Choice is ours.  In our case, most of our attendants have been spot on...luckily.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bradenj21 said:

Here's my question... do you think they have some idea of who has prepaid?

They and their supervisor know if tips have been removed.  List may or may not be posted - varies by ship.  Some of our stewards have told us they have to turn envelope in to supervisor until list is checked.  Have only done prepaid once, so never thought of that as different from normal charge by the day.  

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

With our habit of early rising, most of the time our attendant it thrilled to be able to get our cabin right away and get it over with.  Many times I have seen them standing around out in the hallway waiting for the sleepy heads to get out of bed. 

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

With our habit of early rising, most of the time our attendant it thrilled to be able to get our cabin right away and get it over with.  Many times I have seen them standing around out in the hallway waiting for the sleepy heads to get out of bed. 

Often I have just told our CS to just give us clean towels and give him the dirty towels back.

We always make the bed before we go out and keep our cabin very tidy but we get hot room service breakfast every morning around 7.30am and it is usually around 10 am before we leave our cabin.

18 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Supposedly there is a list in the crew area stating who has prepaid and who hasn't or had them removed.  I have no idea if this is true or not but I don't worry about it as we always prepay as well as tip extra as we feel is deserved.

I say this is fake news - have removed on the first night and on the last night - it did NOT make any difference at all!

Also WHY would RCI want to compile and disclose that to their employees?🤔

Compiling takes resources and disclosing is not changing anything - but asking for trouble....so why would they do it!🙄

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I say this is fake news - have removed on the first night and on the last night - it did NOT make any difference at all!

Also WHY would RCI want to compile and disclose that to their employees?🤔

Compiling takes resources and disclosing is not changing anything - but asking for trouble....so why would they do it!🙄

I have seen the list of staterooms that have had their auto tips removed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I have seen the list of staterooms that have had their auto tips removed.

That's good enough for most of us that you have seen the list Bob.

The fact we can prepay or auto-pay gratuities is fantastic as we know that's what the crew and RC want and we can all give extra if we want.

We always remove auto tips on day one and pay cash at the end of our cruise.   This is acceptable to both Royal and the crew.  With auto pay the crew is well aware that anyone can still remove their tips up to the very last night of the cruise so the list is not much use to them except for the very last day.

10 minutes ago, springfire said:

We always remove auto tips on day one and pay cash at the end of our cruise.   This is acceptable to both Royal and the crew.  With auto pay the crew is well aware that anyone can still remove their tips up to the very last night of the cruise so the list is not much use to them except for the very last day.

And by then it really doesn't matter anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

And by then it really doesn't matter anyway.

How would you feel if you were the CS and someone did this to you?

I and many others prefer to do the right thing unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1