What’s your favorite dish?

kjbacon

After much waiting, our trip is finally upon us! We leave tomorrow and sail on Monday. I’ve seen several dishes mentioned here on the boards as especially good such as the Miso Glazed Seabass in Compass Rose and the Giant Prawns in Pacific Rim. I just read a recommendation of the Beef Tartare in Chartreuse so I started to wonder if there are other dishes that we should be sure to try.

Great thread idea. I love the lamb chops in Pacific Rim. Also, we’ve had some of the best ever ribs at lunch in Compass Rose.  Throw in some Hendricks and tonic and put me to bed happy. 

Z and TB 

• Haha 1

I know this is going to sound odd, but when they played the NCAA Football Championship game on board earlier this year I ordered a few beers and a pepperoni pizza...and it was delicious.

I'm not much help on the dining front, though, as I'm basically a steak guy...but I don't think I've ever had any meal on Regent that I didn't like.  My wife swears by the lamb chops, too.

Difficult one this, as most items on the Regent menus are delicious.

But agree that steak tartare in Chartreuse is excellent and miso glazed sea bass in Compass rose is not to be missed.

Escargots in Compass Rose far superior to Chartreuse, IMO.

Lobster bisque in Compass Rose wins the competition for soup, with the Tomato (CR) and Clam Chowder (P7) coming in equal second.

Then, of course, there is Dover Sole, rib eye steak ............... and on and on and on.

My mouth is watering ......... 😋😋

Just noticed you are on Explorer, so in Pacific Rim try the Dim Sum and the Duck 😋

For dessert, the Green Tea Panna Cotta and/or the Chilli Chocolate Mousse are interestingly different 

............... but I don't recommend the Tapioca Pudding 👎

1265928437_tapiocapudding2.jpg.931c31a87e9971b115f20d5fed1c55c0.jpg

Edited by flossie009

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I know this is going to sound odd, but when they played the NCAA Football Championship game on board earlier this year I ordered a few beers and a pepperoni pizza...and it was delicious.

I'm not much help on the dining front, though, as I'm basically a steak guy...but I don't think I've ever had any meal on Regent that I didn't like.  My wife swears by the lamb chops, too.

Where did you get the pizza from?

Actually, I really liked the Dover Sole that they deboned for you at the table.  Used to do it in Signatures but could get it in CR at times.  Not sure it's even still on the menu anywhere, now that Signatures is gone.

But I'm going to be looking for pizza!!  In fact if we do this world cruise in 2021, I know I will get tired of all the haute cuisine and just want some 'normal' food.

So many items on the CR always available menu- Dover Sole (better than in Chartreusse), lobster tails,  scallops, filet mignon (better than in P7 IMHO).  Apps-shrimp cocktail, gravilax, escargot (strangely listed under "meat"??).

In P7, Alaskan king crab legs, and the best desert on this planet, caramel popcorn sundae

In Chartreuse, the aforementioned steak tartar, the floating island desert

In Pacific Rim the lobster tempura

In Setti Mare, beware of the first servings of bread and bruschetta, cheeses, and appetizer bar, lest you get so full on them that you can't enjoy the rest of your meal!

Bottom line- the biggest problem that you will have on a Regent cruise will be the agonizing choice you will have to make each and every night, trying to decide what to order!😃

I agree with Flossie about the escargots in Compass Rose.  The tuna/avocado appetizer in P7 is delicious.  And similar to the “pizza and beer” while watching football idea, our butler once brought us popcorn with melted butter for while we watched a movie in our suite.  Not my favorite dish, but lots of fun.

53 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Actually, I really liked the Dover Sole that they deboned for you at the table.  Used to do it in Signatures but could get it in CR at times.  Not sure it's even still on the menu anywhere, now that Signatures is gone.

Wendy, it is on the "always available" menu in Compass Rose, and they do debone  it at the table, and it is excellent.  In Chartreusse, they do not debone it at the table, at least they didn't when I ordered it.

Presently on Explorer- - tonight we had dinner at Pacific Rim. I tried the duck, lobster tempura and miso glazed cod. Best dinner ever. 

The dessert menu was ok but after all the comments regarding the isles d ??? In Chartreuse, we asked if we could try it. Unfortunately, they could not accommodate our request. So guess what? We were invited back to Chartreuse for dessert. 

This was Royal Treatment at its best!

Sheila

Strangely some of the items we thought would be faves were a bit of a let down- crab legs in P7, lobster bisque in CR(too salty), but loved the artichoke soup in Chartreuse, as well as the Blackfoot chicken. Had some really nice pasta dishes in Sette Mari.

Regardless, if we didn't particularly care for something there was always enough other courses to satisfy our cravings, so every meal was a delight.

Another thing I thought I would love was the petite fours- they looked so pretty, but were all just too sweet.

Favorite dessert was a lemon mousse type thing off the Canyon ranch menu.

Does tea time count- cause I could go on about that.

And drinks- maybe we should start a new thread for that one🍸

I need to add the crab cakes in P7. Also, has anyone ever had the Panko breaded shrimp app in CR?  We’ve only seen it once in ten Regent cruises and they were superb. You guys are killing me with all this Regent food talk. 

Z and TB

Not to burst the bubble, but it all depends on who is cooking what.  For example, escargot in Compass Rose.  I love escargot.  I eat it as an appetizer and an entrée.  In the last 90 days I have had whole snails in garlic butter, chopped snails in garlic butter, chopped snails and chopped vegetables in garlic butter, whole snails in cream and garlic butter.  The description on the menu does not change,.  What you are served does.  Both whole snail dishes are good.  Both chopped dishes I do not eat.  I have had lobster bisque that was prepared perfectly.  I have had lobster bisque that I swear was tomato soup.  I have had lobster bisque that tasted like raw fish.  None were salty as I always order from the no salt menu.  The one dish I have enjoyed many times and has always been the same is the Carbonara in Sette Mare.  For beef, I always go with the filet.  My filet the other night was full of fat.  I will back off from ordering another filet hoping the bad ones disappear.  Another favorite is crab cakes in Prime 7.  Now we always ask for them crispy.  Otherwise they come raw in the middle.  If you like a raw center, do not ask for them crispy.  We are tired of the gourmet food.  We were excited to see tuna melt and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches in La Veranda for lunch the other day.  Maybe I need to order that for dinner tonight.

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

At least when we were aboard the Explorer last month, Compass Rose was not open for lunch.

Correct....on sea days, at least, P7 or Chartreuse will be open for lunch.

Funny that someone would like snails.  We hardly ever see them on menus here...

For me - any Indian dish is the top!   Other than that - things I cannot find here at home like Eggs Benedict, corned beef hash.  (!!)  And above all - Iles Flottantes - which is what Sheila said she wanted to try.  "Floating islands" in English.  Small - quenelle sized meringues, softly poached in sugar syrup in a crème anglaise.  The best dessert in the "whole wide world" aside, perhaps from Srikand!

Love all of these delicious recommendations! Several of these dishes had called out to me when I was reading the menus but there are also a couple dishes mentioned here that would not have gotten my attention without these great tips, so thank you! Keep ‘em coming.

And, of course, great cocktails count too 🙂 So far, tips for a Lemon Drop and a Saketini (on another thread).

What is Srikand?

Edited by kjbacon
Addition

I loved every dish when we were on Mariner for 44 nights!!   But I have to say, including so many mentioned above, one dish I didn't see on the list that I really loved was the Porcini Crusted Salmon.  I love mushrooms and it was, IMHO, an outstanding dish! 

P.S. I actually loved the Escargot in Chartreusse better.  It's done in wine and not garlic.  I love garlic, and loved the escargot in Compass Rose, but for me, I really loved the Chartreusse version.  Food is so subjective. 😎 

Edited by papaflamingo

Strongly agree with papaflamingo's comment "Food is so subjective".  I see food on this thread that we love and also things that we would not order again.  

I also prefer Escargot in Chartreuse more than in CR.  When I dined in Chartreuse last month with an officer, he ordered the blackfoot chicken and said that he always orders it and went on to explain how they are raised, etc.  So vegasdriven, you obviously made a good selection!

Used to love the lobster tempura in Pacific Rim but the batter is no longer light and airy as it was in the past - it was more like the batter on fish and chips.  

In terms of Explorer, CR is not open for lunch unless they do a Sunday brunch on a sea days.  Otherwise, Chartreuse and P7 are open on sea days and they switch being open on port days.

• Like 1