Being on a Perry Golf Cruise but not a golfer

papa B me

I have booked a cruise for Sept 2020 for a port intensive Portugal/Spain cruise.  I had a similar cruise booked for last September but had to cancel due to other commitments but still want to sail this itineary.

I didn't realize it at the time but this is a "Perry Golf" cruise.  We are not part of Perry Golf and are not golfers at all.  For those who have sailed on this type of cruise(both part of and not part of Perry Golf), does it substantially changed the dynamic of the cruise?  What percentage of the guests would you estimate are part of the "Perry Golf" experience?  Will we find it difficult to access certain aspects of the ship due to a large group sailing together.  I don't know anything about the Perry Golf cruises so don't know if basically they take over the ship or if much of it is when they are off the ship.  Any input would be appreciated.

Brian

We were on a ‘Perry Golf’ cruise last summer in  Western Med. Barcelona to Lisbon. We are not golfers. There was no impact whatsoever on the day to day activities on the ship. I saw a sign early one evening for a reception in the Cabaret Lounge but other than that, nothing.

Been on several as a non golfer. Never impacted negatively infact quite the opposite. Charming guests many gents with non playing spouses who join in the usual events and excursions 

Thank your for the responses.  That is what I thought the responses would be but wanted to ask the CC family.  Almost all of my closest friends are golfers.  I'm the odd ball.  So my initial thought was great there are going to be a lot of enjoyable couples on this cruise.  Thanks again.

Brian

We are doing one next week!  I'll let you know.  We just loved the itinerary - Charleston, SC for 2.5 days and Hamilton (IN Hamilton) Bermuda for 2.5 days out of NYC and back to NYC.  We don't golf, but they are getting to play some famous courses.

7 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

We are doing one next week!  I'll let you know.  We just loved the itinerary - Charleston, SC for 2.5 days and Hamilton (IN Hamilton) Bermuda for 2.5 days out of NYC and back to NYC.  We don't golf, but they are getting to play some famous courses.

Thanks!  I'll look for your report.  Have a great trip!  Charleston's one of my favorite places. 

• Like 1

We will be taking our third PerryGolf cruise this year (my husband is a golfer).  IMO, if you were booked on the British Open cruise, you might notice a difference as there is a fairly large group of golfers (golfers/spouses were between 120-130 people).  Last year we did the Portugal/Spain itinerary and I'd say the total group (including non-golfing spouses) was around 50.  This fall we are on a Mediterranean Islands cruise and I expect the group size to be about the same as the Portugal/Spain cruise.

The difference you might notice is there are several PerryGolf events that will be held in the Cabaret Lounge and the Library, so at those times those venues will be closed to other passengers.  On last year's cruise, there was a special dinner at the Patio, so it wasn't open that evening.  That was a very enjoyable dinner, so I hope they have it on our upcoming cruise!

The first night of the cruise several of the larger tables in the main dining room are in use by PerryGolf so the group can get to know each other.

Edited by hiccups

We’ve been on two AZ cruises with Perry Golf and will be on the Irish Seas/Open cruise with them again on July 17.  The groups are not really large — the Irish Seas/Open group is the largest with about 80 or so.  When we were on the Baltic the group was much smaller - less than 40 I think. There are several cocktail parties and almost all of them have been held in the Cabaret Lounge (one was in the Drawing Room) so you don’t have to worry about the group dominating your pre-dinner experience.  And, as one of the non-golfers of the group, I can attest they are off the ship for long periods every day — sometimes from early in the morning until late afternoon! And yes...a very friendly and interesting group of people!

Thanks again for all the responses.  I've read so many horror stories on CC about cruises where there was a partial charter that I had a moment of concern.  But I realize the horror charters are usually companies who have chartered the ship and people are sailing for free and feel entitled to act like they are at a college frat party.  I'm really excited about this cruise since in reality I've planned it twice.  Now the long wait till September next year.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of booking the Pursuit, 12-19 October 2019 cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona and noticed that it is Perry Golf cruise. Having had a disappointing experience in the past on Azamara where the majority of the ship's passengers were on a charter (unbeknown to us who booked as regular passengers), I was a little apprehensive. It seems from all your comments that my fears are unfounded and I think we will go ahead and book. 

Lynne 🛳️😀 

I would agree with all the other comments about it being a non issue. I did a Perry Golf cruise last year ....I'm not a golfer. 

The Golfers were off the ship for long days and I only saw one private function early evening in The Living Room. There was no disruption to the regular cruisers at all, as far as I could see anyway. It was a most enjoyable cruise. 

I was just on a "Perry Golf cruise"......no issues except for some reason (they say it was "Satellite Issues".) they did not show "The Masters" on the ship on Sat or Sunday...…..you would have thought since it was a "GOLF CRUISE" they would have paid whatever fee it cost to televise it.  (Especially since it was on Thursday and Friday).

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

antaryI was just on a "Perry Golf cruise"......no issues except for some reason (they say it was "Satellite Issues".) they did not show "The Masters" on the ship on Sat or Sunday...…..you would have thought since it was a "GOLF CRUISE" they would have paid whatever fee it cost to televise it.  (Especially since it was on Thursday and Friday).

Some Years ago we were on the Monaco Grand Prix cruise, anyone who stayed on board could only watch the race with sound in German, we were told that was all they could receive.

I was on the same cruise as Lois R and if I hadn’t read about it when I booked, I wouldn’t have known there was anything different. It was a very enjoyable cruise. 

We did have a chat with one poor golfer in a sling on the last night. She fell off a tee and broke her arm at Mid Ocean in Bermuda. Poor lady - at least it was at the end of the cruise. 

9 hours ago, Literary Lynne said:

We are thinking of booking the Pursuit, 12-19 October 2019 cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona and noticed that it is Perry Golf cruise. Having had a disappointing experience in the past on Azamara where the majority of the ship's passengers were on a charter (unbeknown to us who booked as regular passengers), I was a little apprehensive. It seems from all your comments that my fears are unfounded and I think we will go ahead and book. 

Lynne 🛳️😀 

We will be on that cruise, so I can assure you at least two people in the golfing contingent will not be rowdy and misbehave!  LOL.

I know the slots allotted for golfers have been filled.  There is a roll call for the cruise (although not very active), and no one that has participated so far is with PerryGolf except my husband and me.

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

I was just on a "Perry Golf cruise"......no issues except for some reason (they say it was "Satellite Issues".) they did not show "The Masters" on the ship on Sat or Sunday...…..you would have thought since it was a "GOLF CRUISE" they would have paid whatever fee it cost to televise it.  (Especially since it was on Thursday and Friday).

Those with PerryGolf had an option to attend the Masters on the final day.  It cost $2600, though!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We're booked on Pursuit next year at the time of the British Open. It's also a Perry Golf cruise. Our last 2 days are in Dover and the Open is at Royal St George's in Kent. Does Azamara have excursions to the Open? Or has anyone done it on their own? 

Azamara offered an excursion to the Open when we did the cruise in 2017.  My husband attended with PerryGolf, but we knew a couple that booked Azamara's excursion and they were NOT happy with it.  One departure, one return, and not even a box lunch included.  It was in the range of $300-400 PP.  PerryGolf ran multiple shuttles to and from the Open and included lunch.

I read where others simply bought the tickets on their own and then arranged private transportation.

14 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Azamara offered an excursion to the Open when we did the cruise in 2017.  My husband attended with PerryGolf, but we knew a couple that booked Azamara's excursion and they were NOT happy with it.  One departure, one return, and not even a box lunch included.  It was in the range of $300-400 PP.  PerryGolf ran multiple shuttles to and from the Open and included lunch.

I read where others simply bought the tickets on their own and then arranged private transportation.

Thanks......that's what I was thinking of doing and have signed up for emails about the 2020 British Open.