Move up bid question

Esk

Hi, we have just received a move up bid for our May Summit cruise. We have booked a sky suite through a TA with no perks attached.

After booking I have added the premium beverage package to our booking during a beverage package promo directly with Celebrity.

My question to my Travel Agent was:

If I make a move up bid to a royal suite which as I understand already includes 2 premium beverage packages, and am successful,  will Celebrity reimburse me for the already purchased premium beverage packages? 

The answer was this:

I spoke with Celebrity and she confirmed that since you booked a suite with no perks for a lower rate, if you bid for an upgrade and receive it, you still would not receive any of their perks.  She stated that in the terms and conditions of the bid, your booking remains as is, whether it was booked with or without perks, if your bid is accepted.

I was sure that the Royal and Penthouse Suites automatically came with these added extra benefits: beverage package, wifi, speciality dining? 

I wonder if this is a case of phone again, get a different rep and get a different answer... 

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks. 

Edited by Esk

Royal, Penthouse, and Signature suites and above include the Premium beverage package, Wi-Fi, speciality dining and laundry with the Suite.  I think the rep your TA spoke with was mistaken.

You won’t get the 12 CC points for the RS.

Edited by jelayne

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Royal, Penthouse, and Signature suites and above include the Premium beverage package, Wi-Fi, speciality dining and laundry with the Suite.  I think the rep your TA spoke with was mistaken.

You won’t get the 12 CC points for the RS.

I would have to agree with you.    Even on a TA where they normally don't have any perks I have always received a Premium Drink Package.  

I was pretty sure I’ve read on these boards that an upgrade bid for a suite does not include the normal suite perks.  That you keep any/none that you had on your original booking.

This from Celebrity’s T&Cs:

Any promotions associated with the original booking will remain in effect. The Upgrade will not be eligible to receive any promotions or benefits that are applicable to the stateroom had it been originally booked at that stateroom category.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 1

The MoveUp bids refer to the booking perks (Promo).  The bev package, wifi, laundry, specialty etc are amenities of the stateroom, much like Luminae and the Retreat, and would be provided if you win a bid for the RS SG or PH.   I believe what the OP is asking is what happens the the products they bought which would overlap the amenities provided with the suite.  Since they were purchased with the cruise planner they should be refundable.  If for some reason the bid is accepted after the cutoff for cancellation on the web site I would go to the Retreat Concierge (MCC) immediately on boarding and ask that they take care of cancelling the package.

I think people use the word perks to loosely.  I'm sure the answer to the OPs question is yes the premium beverage package the purchased can be refunded.

38 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The MoveUp bids refer to the booking perks (Promo).  The bev package, wifi, laundry, specialty etc are amenities of the stateroom, much like Luminae and the Retreat, and would be provided if you win a bid for the RS SG or PH.   I believe what the OP is asking is what happens the the products they bought which would overlap the amenities provided with the suite.  Since they were purchased with the cruise planner they should be refundable.  If for some reason the bid is accepted after the cutoff for cancellation on the web site I would go to the Retreat Concierge (MCC) immediately on boarding and ask that they take care of cancelling the package.

I think people use the word perks to loosely.  I'm sure the answer to the OPs question is yes the premium beverage package the purchased can be refunded.

I concur.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Esk said:

Hi, we have just received a move up bid for our May Summit cruise. We have booked a sky suite through a TA with no perks attached.

After booking I have added the premium beverage package to our booking during a beverage package promo directly with Celebrity.

If I make a move up bid to a royal suite which as I understand already includes 2 premium beverage packages, and am successful,  will Celebrity reimburse me for the already purchased premium beverage packages? 

The answer was this:

I spoke with Celebrity and she confirmed that since you booked a suite with no perks for a lower rate, if you bid for an upgrade and receive it, you still would not receive any of their perks.  She stated that in the terms and conditions of the bid, your booking remains as is, whether it was booked with or without perks, if your bid is accepted.

I was sure that the Royal and Penthouse Suites automatically came with these added extra benefits: beverage package, wifi, speciality dining? 

I wonder if this is a case of phone again, get a different rep and get a different answer... 

I think Celebrity is correct, but it can get confusing.  You will receive all the benefits associated with your new cabin category. (Except the points).

Your booking “perks” will stay the same.  In your case you booked a lower fare without any extra perks included, therefore you do not get the OBC and gratuities which may have been a perk.

Yes, if you win a upper level cabin with the Premium drink package or internet, you could ask for a refund if you had previously purchased them.

Good luck.

Edited by jagoffee

4 hours ago, Esk said:

If I make a move up bid to a royal suite which as I understand already includes 2 premium beverage packages, and am successful,  will Celebrity reimburse me for the already purchased premium beverage packages? IF I'M READING THIS CORRECTLY, YOU PURCHASED THE BEVERAGE PACKAGE SEPARATELY AND NOT AS A BOOKING PERK, CORRECT?  IF SO AND YOU WIN YOU'RE MOVE UP BID, YOU CAN CANCEL YOUR BEVERAGE PACKAGE AND HAVE YOUR MONEY REFUNDED PROVIDED IT IS MORE THAN 72 HOURS BEFORE SAILING.  AFTER THIS TIME FRAME, YOU WILL BE ISSUED ONBOARD CREDIT FOR ANY CANCELLATIONS.  RS AND ABOVE DO COME WITH THE BEVERAGE PACKAGE. 

The answer was this:

I spoke with Celebrity and she confirmed that since you booked a suite with no perks for a lower rate, if you bid for an upgrade and receive it, you still would not receive any of their perks.  She stated that in the terms and conditions of the bid, your booking remains as is, whether it was booked with or without perks, if your bid is accepted.  EITHER YOUR TRAVEL AGENT DID NOT EXPLAIN YOUR QUESTION TO CELEBRITY CORRECTLY OR CELEBRITY MISUNDERSTOOD YOUR TRAVEL AGENT.  THIS IS THEIR STANDARD TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR MOVEUPS.  WHEN THEY SAY PERKS, THEY MEAN THE GO BIG, BETTER OR BEST.  IF YOUR BOOKING CAME WITH EITHER OF THESE PERKS, THEY STAY IF YOU RECEIVE A MOVE UP.  IF YOUR ORIGINAL BOOKING DID NOT COME WITH ANY OF THESE, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THEM FOR YOUR NEW BOOKING.  

I wonder if this is a case of phone again, get a different rep and get a different answer... YES, THEY DO COME WITH THESE.  YOU WILL RECEIVE THESE IF YOUR BID IS ACCEPTED FOR EITHER THE RS OR PH.  THESE ARE NOT PART OF THE BIG, BETTER, BEST PERKS THAT THE CELEBRITY REP WAS TALKING ABOUT.  A RS OR PS CAN COME WITH OR WITHOUT THE GO BEST PERKS DEPENDING ON THE RATE BOOKED.       

I've discovered that even travel agents don't understand the difference between go big, etc. perks and the benefits that are attached to the suite for bookings in a royal or penthouse suite.  One tried to sell me the go best package when booking a RS.  I had to point out to her that those came with the suite and therefore, it was not necessary to book at the go best price which, of course, was higher.

We accepted a “bid-up” on Summit in September 2018. The usual Suite Class perks do NOT apply to such upgrades . You get the same number of Captains Club points as your original booking, in our case for AQ. However, the real impact is that once in Suites class (Michaels Club, Liminae, Butler, etc) we upgraded all our future bookings and new cruises. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tmk1941 said:

We accepted a “bid-up” on Summit in September 2018. The usual Suite Class perks do NOT apply to such upgrades . You get the same number of Captains Club points as your original booking, in our case for AQ. However, the real impact is that once in Suites class (Michaels Club, Liminae, Butler, etc) we upgraded all our future bookings and new cruises. 

This is incorrect. All the Suite Class perks apply to such upgrades (i.e. Luminae, access to The Retreat/Michael's Club, a butler etc.). For the top suites, the perks such as unlimited wifi, two bottles of liquor, premium beverage pack etc. apply. What does not apply is promotions that would apply were one paying full price for the suite (rather than upgrading through Move-Up) - i.e. most cruises included the Go Best promotion when booking any suite (wifi, premium beverage pack, $300 OBC and pre-paid gratuities). One would not receive the Go Best promotion if one obtains a suite via Move-Up upgrade (unless one already had this promotion attached to the booking they had paid for before doing Move-Up).

• Like 1

I believe that the benefits of being in the RS do apply (i.e., unlimited internet, premium beverage package, two bottles of liquor in room, unlimited mini-bar, laundry) will apply if you win your bid.  These items are not considered "perks", however they are considered "included items" in the RS and PH.  However, bear in mind that in order to receive a refund on your "already purchased" beverage package I believe that you need to cancel 72 hours prior to the cruise.  Sometimes you don't know if you've won the move-up bid until 24 hours prior to sailing.  If you don't win the bid you can always buy your beverage package onboard the ship (however you would not be eligible for the discount, if any, that you received when you originally purchased it).

You may want to check your sailing to see if there are even any RS available for booking.  I know for a fact that Celebrity will let you bid on a category that is completely sold out in the off-chance that someone cancels their booking at the very last minute.

Edited by jcpc

Thank you everyone for all your replies. 

I emailed Captains Club in the US who replied today and have confirmed that the in suite ‘amenities’ for royal and penthouse WILL apply to our booking if we are successful as these are not Perks but already come with the suite.

They have also stated that a refund for the beverage package is no problem and if successful in the move up bid I am to ring them directly and they will process the refund. 

Just fabulous customer service. 

Made that bid- now all I can do is wait... and hope! We will have an amazing cruise in the sky suite (our first ever suite with Celebrity) but that Royal suite looks just amazing! 💕

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I wish you luck.

My concern with this plan is you don't get to pick your room. It might be different for suites, but I don't want a noisy room or an obstructed view.

Nothing to be concerned about. The Royal Suites on Summit do not have obstructed views and are in a quiet location on deck 6.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Esk said:

Thank you everyone for all your replies. 

I emailed Captains Club in the US who replied today and have confirmed that the in suite ‘amenities’ for royal and penthouse WILL apply to our booking if we are successful as these are not Perks but already come with the suite.

They have also stated that a refund for the beverage package is no problem and if successful in the move up bid I am to ring them directly and they will process the refund. 

Just fabulous customer service. 

Made that bid- now all I can do is wait... and hope! We will have an amazing cruise in the sky suite (our first ever suite with Celebrity) but that Royal suite looks just amazing! 💕

Like I said, the term perks confuse everyone.  It tends to be clearer if you use the word amenities for things that come with the room and 'perks' for things which are optional add-ons.  Not all suite reservations come with all 4 perks included but most people are not aware. 

My thinking is that it is pretty ridiculous to book a RS or PH with the 4 perks included rate as you are paying for the Premium Beverage Package and Unlimited Wifi twice.  I alway have booked senior or resident rate without perks when booking RS.

I am NOT INCORRECT. I am correct, we actually did it! Please read my words! 

You do not get the usual Suite perks as I enumerated, beverage package, extra points, internet, etc. You do get Michaels Club, Luminae , etc. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tmk1941 said:

You do not get the usual Suite perks as I enumerated, beverage package, extra points, internet, etc. You do get Michaels Club, Luminae , etc. 

The way you phrased your post was potentially misleading to people reading the thread and not knowing how Move-Up works. Celebrity uses the word "perks" interchangeably  - in some of their marketing material they refer to Luminae, Michael's Club, Butlers etc. as "Suite Class perks." They also sometime used the word perks to apply to the Go Best package that often (but not always) comes when booking a suite. When you said "The usual Suite Class perks do NOT apply to such upgrades" many will think you are implying that if one obtains a suite via Move-Up they will not be able to access  Luminae and Michael's Club. I know that was not your intent, but from the wording in your post people could easily misunderstand what you were meaning to say. And the OP is trying to move-up to a Royal Suite - where one does receive beverage package and internet - even when obtaining the suite via Move-Up.

• Like 2

Clarification is always needed...many thanks to those who know exactly how the system works!  Also, remember that using "all caps" means that you are yelling at someone on here!  IMHO, your statement needed clarification, so that is what Gonzo70 was doing.  This is exactly how misinformation is communicated to others...no one is saying that your personal experience was wrong; it was just the choice of words...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tmk1941 said:

There are no usual suite perks unless you book a royal suite or the penthouse.  Sometimes the other suites come with perks, sometimes not.  If you submit a successful move up bid, you keep the perks that were attached to your original cabin.  And you do not get the points attached to your new cabin, you get the points that were attached to your original cabin.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

5 hours ago, tmk1941 said:

Did you wind up with the Royal Suite or the Penthouse?  It seems people are saying those categories do always have the “suite perks” regardless of whether you booked them with a move up bid.

I have just received the attached e mail.

MoveUp was NOT available in the U.K. until very recently, so probably the OP’s TA was not familiar with the terms as stated in post #13.

00DAD6B7-7EA9-4366-820E-1CBC7F5C9155.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

We upgraded from Aqua Class to Sky Suite. As Sky Suite folks we received all the regular amenities of Suite Class: Luminae, Michaels Club, Boarding & Disembarking priorities, etc. We did NOT receive the Premium Drink Package and Unlimited internet which are  usually included when we make our original booking in Suite Class. Our previous AQ booking included gratuities and some OBC, and the regular Beverage package. I paid (OBC) to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package.

We were notified of the successful upgrade about a week before our Cruise date. However we were sent the upgraded luggage tags by email only a couple of days before embarkation.

I hope this helps.