WOW Dress Code has Changed

jc foster

28 minutes ago, leenie77 said:

I feel the same. People can dress up as much or as little as they would like.

Unfortunately, last week on the Equinox, I was witness to a man ridiculing another for wearing a t shirt in the elevator one evening. He was in the elevator - not in the dining room or anywhere one might be expected to dress up a bit. I know dress code is a hot topic, but I wish there was less judgement.

We had a similar thing happen one night coming back from the pool, we were in our pool clothes with coverup and the  woman made a nasty comment.  I simply replied to her that she needs to go read the dress code since the 6:00 P.M. cut off had been eliminated several years prior.  I think we decided to eat in the buffet that night. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Will we be out of place in Blu in a gown and tux on the Evening Chic nights?  We love dressing up so Cunard is currently our line of choice but we are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise so need advice on this please.

Didn't see any tuxes or gowns in  Blu this pas t December, Equinox Caribbean

23 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Dress code in Specialties, Blu and Luminae is smart casual every night, evening chic does not apply.  Has been that way for several years now. 

That's true, however people in those venues do tend to dress up more on those nights than on the rest of the cruise even though they aren't required to. It's so nice to have options. 😊

31 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

That's true, however people in those venues do tend to dress up more on those nights than on the rest of the cruise even though they aren't required to. It's so nice to have options. 😊

Agree, that is the beauty of the dress code you can make your own choice. The other point to remember is dress style appears also to be  dependent on itinerary.  

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Dress code in Specialties, Blu and Luminae is smart casual every night, evening chic does not apply.  Has been that way for several years now. 

Just as a point of interest, on the menu board outside of Blu on Solstice last month, there was also a sign listing the dress codes for Smart Casual and Evening Chic.  I know that Blu is smart casual all the time, but it did give the impression that people should adhere to the dress code whilst dining in Blu.  We did, but only because we like to dress up a bit sometimes.

Just now, lisiamc said:

Just as a point of interest, on the menu board outside of Blu on Solstice last month, there was also a sign listing the dress codes for Smart Casual and Evening Chic.  I know that Blu is smart casual all the time, but it did give the impression that people should adhere to the dress code whilst dining in Blu.  We did, but only because we like to dress up a bit sometimes.

Mid you go on the website in the restaurant area each one is listed with their dress code. The only one listed with evening Chic is the MDR.

• Like 1

I would agree with the previous posters Europeans tend to dress up more than those from the US. We recently did a b2b on the Silhouette in the Caribbean. The first cruise had 600  from UK and 200 from elsewhere in Europe on board so there were many wearing a Tux and dressed to the nines. The second leg was predominantly American passengers therefore not so many dressed up. 

• Like 1

I used to wear a tux on the formal nights back in the day because I enjoyed that, but over the years came to the practical reality that it doesn't make sense to carry that stuff on a cruise. "Smart chic" really doesn't mean anything to me any more. I wear what one might call business casual on every night of the cruise.

If you want to dress up on certain nights, you should. Do it because you want to, or you have a goal of having some formal pictures. But don't do it because you think anyone else cares. They simply don't. And unless we are talking extremes like shorts and t-shirt, no one should feel out of place. You do you.

[European and exotic itineraries may be different]

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I used to wear a tux on the formal nights back in the day because I enjoyed that, but over the years came to the practical reality that it doesn't make sense to carry that stuff on a cruise. "Smart chic" really doesn't mean anything to me any more. I wear what one might call business casual on every night of the cruise.

If you want to dress up on certain nights, you should. Do it because you want to, or you have a goal of having some formal pictures. But don't do it because you think anyone else cares. They simply don't. And unless we are talking extremes like shorts and t-shirt, no one should feel out of place. You do you.

[European and exotic itineraries may be different]

Excellent post, 

Many thanks to all who shared their observations and ideas about the dress code on Evening Chic nights in Blu.  I should have mentioned in my post that our cruise is a TA which, by the sounds of things, might mean it is a little dressier than cruises in warmer places.  It's great to know that we can go with whatever we want and enjoy ourselves (although I might wear a gown, I won't go as formal as I would on Cunard).

Csardas, thank you for your comments on Celebrity from the perspective of one who likes Cunard.  I'm not sure why it has taken us so many years of cruising to finally try Celebrity but the itinerary and timing of this TA works so well and we have always enjoyed transocean voyages as an alternative to flying so we are looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Celebrity has become more casual than Azamara.  It is not country club casual or resort Canadian. Most people dress down. It is unusual to see any formal attire. Very few guys wear a tie or jacket. There are lots of jeans, Hawaiian shirts, sneakers, sandals, etc.  it reminds me of a big come as you are party. Have not seen anyone in the MDR in bathing suits yet.  I miss the old days when people dressed up.  Just for fun, we were with people who made a game out of counting men in Hawaiian type shirts. Celebrity has too many to count. They wear more of them on evening chic nights. Nobody seems to know what is expected on evening chic nights.  I see little difference in the attire on evening chic and casual nights. PAck and wear anything that you like. 

Hawaiian shirts meet the dress code, so I'm not sure why that should be part of a counting game.  They button up and don't have to be tucked in, which usually looks better on & is more comfortable for those outside the BMI range for their height.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jc foster said:

We strayed away from Celebrity about five years ago and started sailing on river cruises, Princess, and Azamara. We have a T/A sailing on Celebrity in less than two weeks and today I glanced at the dress code. Wow  and , its changed. Is this the very same 'Resort Casual" as Azamara? It sounds as though a sports code, dress pants,  a collared shirt will suffice. THANKS

@jc foster

Really depends on your style

DH likes to wear a dark suit on Chic Nights and a blue blazer with a collared shirt for dinner on other evenings.

I wear a dress to dinner every night...and it will be a nicer dress for chic nights. 

We didn't do tux/gown on chic nights the last 3 cruises --however some did--and they looked lovely and had a great time. Gentlemen in the military did wear their dress uniforms and looked dashing. 

Choose what you enjoy--it is your cruise. 

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Hawaiian shirts meet the dress code, so I'm not sure why that should be part of a counting game.  They button up and don't have to be tucked in, which usually looks better on & is more comfortable for those outside the BMI range for their height.

23 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

@jc foster

Really depends on your style

DH likes to wear a dark suit on Chic Nights and a blue blazer with a collared shirt for dinner on other evenings.

I wear a dress to dinner every night...and it will be a nicer dress for chic nights. 

We didn't do tux/gown on chic nights the last 3 cruises --however some did--and they looked lovely and had a great time. Gentlemen in the military did wear their dress uniforms and looked dashing. 

Choose what you enjoy--it is your cruise. 

Dress neatly and be clean. If your BMI is your reason to wear Hawaiian shirts,  I am shocked. You can buy good looking clothing for any size person.  It may meet the dress code. Is there really still a dress code?  It is your cruise and your choice to wear what pleases you.  

We sailed b2b on the Silhouette last month.  First leg was 12 nights and there were more Europeans on board than Americans.  We saw more formal wear on this cruise.  About 10% were in tux and gown.  About 40% in cocktail attire...dresses/sports coat and the remainder were a variety of different pant/shirt/dress combinations.   Our second leg was 9 nights and there was a large group on board attending an investment seminar.   The overall vibe of the ship changed, and dress was very casual every night.  

What I love about the new evening dress code is it allows you to be who you wish to be.  People were happy, relaxed and having fun. All types of dress accepted in lounges and dining rooms.  No grumpy men pulling on their Tux collars, not one complaint they were too hot....just happy people wearing what they were comfortable with.  Everyone was neat and clean.  Yes, we did see a few in the lounges and theatre with shorts, but no one cared.

I never understood the need to push formal nights.  Several years ago we were on a HAL cruise in AK. We’d been out all day touring and decided to skip the dining room and head to the buffet...we were in jeans...nothing sloppy.  We encounter people sneering at us in the elevator and one actually telling us we should stay in our cabin if we didn’t want to follow the dress code!  That was our last HAL cruise!  

So, bring what you enjoy wearing and have fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peggy Sue said:

We sailed b2b on the Silhouette last month.  First leg was 12 nights and there were more Europeans on board than Americans.  We saw more formal wear on this cruise.  About 10% were in tux and gown.  About 40% in cocktail attire...dresses/sports coat and the remainder were a variety of different pant/shirt/dress combinations.   Our second leg was 9 nights and there was a large group on board attending an investment seminar.   The overall vibe of the ship changed, and dress was very casual every night.  

What I love about the new evening dress code is it allows you to be who you wish to be.  People were happy, relaxed and having fun. All types of dress accepted in lounges and dining rooms.  No grumpy men pulling on their Tux collars, not one complaint they were too hot....just happy people wearing what they were comfortable with.  Everyone was neat and clean.  Yes, we did see a few in the lounges and theatre with shorts, but no one cared.

I never understood the need to push formal nights.  Several years ago we were on a HAL cruise in AK. We’d been out all day touring and decided to skip the dining room and head to the buffet...we were in jeans...nothing sloppy.  We encounter people sneering at us in the elevator and one actually telling us we should stay in our cabin if we didn’t want to follow the dress code!  That was our last HAL cruise!  

So, bring what you enjoy wearing and have fun!

Of all the cruises I have been on I have found the Alaska itineraries,(Princess and X) to be be the most casual.  Lots of jeans and sweaters in the MDR on all nights. Everything has changed the past 10 years - I love casual but it is possible to be casual and still stylish - it's not necessary to look sloppy or unkempt and honestly, I see vey little of that.

Count us among those who enjoy Celebrity's new dress code. There was a time we enjoyed dressing up for formal night, tux and all, but I guess we got that out of our systems! Our impression has been that most passengers do make more of an effort on the Evening Chic nights, but we have seen very few tuxes and gowns. My Dh wears a blue sport coat over an open neck dress shirt with dress slacks, I usually wear black pants with a sparkly top, and we are quite comfortable without having to bring the extra luggage. NCL is a little too casual for us (although we have enjoyed our NCL cruises) , but Celebrity suits us just right.

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Celebrity has become more casual than Azamara.  It is not country club casual or resort Canadian. Most people dress down. It is unusual to see any formal attire. Very few guys wear a tie or jacket. There are lots of jeans, Hawaiian shirts, sneakers, sandals, etc.  it reminds me of a big come as you are party. Have not seen anyone in the MDR in bathing suits yet.  I miss the old days when people dressed up.  Just for fun, we were with people who made a game out of counting men in Hawaiian type shirts. Celebrity has too many to count. They wear more of them on evening chic nights. Nobody seems to know what is expected on evening chic nights.  I see little difference in the attire on evening chic and casual nights. PAck and wear anything that you like. 

Everyone on EDGE was quite chic..even on non Chic nights, but everyone was happy doing their own thing,,  DH has some  dressy Tommy Bahama shirts that are not Hawaiian  prints... Anything but slob works for us!

On 4/10/2019 at 7:46 AM, jc foster said:

We strayed away from Celebrity about five years ago and started sailing on river cruises, Princess, and Azamara. We have a T/A sailing on Celebrity in less than two weeks and today I glanced at the dress code. Wow  and , its changed. Is this the very same 'Resort Casual" as Azamara? It sounds as though a sports code, dress pants,  a collared shirt will suffice. THANKS

Yep.  And it's wonderful!!!!

Don't even NEED the sports coat, but many men like one.  I don't even bring a dress anymore (eliminating a lot of related clothing including dress shoes).

8 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

With the shrinking closet space it becomes necessary to cut back on a varied wardrobe.

Considering the cost of checking bags on airlines and the general hassle of handling bags when traveling, I'm all in on that.  

"Varied wardrobe"?  Why?  Totally unnecessary, imho.  It's not like I'm ever gonna see my fellow passengers again (with rare exceptions).  And as long as I'm clean and dressed appropriately to the stated dress code, I really don't give a rip what a stranger thinks of my attire.  And I give others the same respect.

Count me among those who like to dress more nicely than usual on Chic / formal / "Dress Your Best" night. I used to have to dress up for dinners out with the family somewhat regularly when I was younger, along with dressing up for work events when I got older; and while I didn't necessarily like the feeling of the tie around my neck, I always liked that feeling of looking really snazzy and the compliments it would bring.

Today, I pretty much never have to dress up unless it's the usual "wedding or funeral" situation. So I'm happy to take the opportunity to put on a nice suit a couple of times while on a cruise. Just invested in a really nice suit last year, even though the only times I'll be wearing it are at sea. Even bought some nautical-themed ties since I knew that'd be the only time they'd be seen!

• Like 2