First time cruiser-where?

How many days are you looking to cruise? If time and price weren't issues, I would take someone to the Mediterranean. However, not everyone has the time/$$. Are we talking the Caribbean? 3-4 nights? 7-9 nights?

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

I would be more selective of the ship and onboard experience ,than the itinerary for a First Timer .

That's true the ship experience varies so.much now.our fist cruise was a 4 day Freeport and nassau on fantasy class don't remember the ship.but this was back in the day of midnight buffets and non stop entertainment by the pool and the steel drums .take them on what you would want to go they will either like it or not.my brother and his bride went out of Charleston to Bahamas my brother didn't like it my sister in law wants to cruise again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonesCruiser1978 said:

Caribbean.  A 5, 7 or 8 night at the most.

My advice is: do a 7 or 8 and any carrib itin is great. I have had too many people go on a 3-4 night cruise first time and be like 'I hated it'

27 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

I would be more selective of the ship and onboard experience ,than the itinerary for a First Timer .

I second this.  Ship selection is very important.  The great things about cruises is the destinations change. 

• Like 1

I would find out their interests.  Do they scuba dive?  Are they interested in viewing ancient ruins?  Touring different places to find out about the history?  Are they interesting in old forts, caves, a nice beach, snorkeling, or whatever?  I would also take into account their ages and what they might enjoy on a ship.  I've cruised on Disney, RCL, NCL, and Carnival.  They were similar in some ways and unique in other ways.  I've cruise all over the Caribbean and each port had pros and cons.

To sum it up, I'd find out their interests both on and off of a ship and their expectations.

I agree, 8 day southern as the others have said for a first timer. If you do that itinererary on a nice ship you’ll be happy all around. No short cruises on old rust buckets ..... That can lead to a bad first cruise impression. Nothing less than 7 days. Less is never better when it comes to cruising unless your wallet doesn’t allow it.

• Like 2

It depends. As much as I think it is the greatest vacation and people are too stubborn if they can't enjoy it, it doesn't change the fact that some people just don't enjoy it. 

If you want to show them a damn good experience, a 7/8 day through the Southern Carribean on a newer boat is tough to beat.

If they just want to try out cruising, a 4 day is a great way to test the waters (pun not intended).

• Like 1

I’ll go against the flow here, mostly due to not wanting to advise a 1st time cruiser my choice:

•what is your budget per person?

•what is the closest driving port or do you want to fly to port?

•are you wanting activities on-board or relaxation?

•are you more interested in a lot of ports or a lot of sea days?

RESEARCH the above (and whatever else is important to you) & you can provide better answers than 90% of what anyone else can advise.

Edited by soonernstlouis

1 hour ago, JonesCruiser1978 said:

I was actually looking at the Southern cruise on the Magic.  I've never done a ship that big so it would be new for me too.

Sounds like a good plan!

You might as well book what you want since, as first time cruisers, they have to clue of what they want!  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

I want to do a southern Caribbean cruise.   But does the magic leave from puerto rico?  Those are very port intensive and may not be the best choice for first time cruisers.  Or is this one of the florida departures?

37 minutes ago, brookeq said:

I want to do a southern Caribbean cruise.   But does the magic leave from puerto rico?  Those are very port intensive and may not be the best choice for first time cruisers.  Or is this one of the florida departures?

I'm not sure where it leaves from currently, but in 2020 it shows out of Miami.

41 minutes ago, brookeq said:

We have an 8 day on Magic out of Fort Lauderdale in March.  4 ports in 8 days, as it has to go a long ways from Florida to Aruba.

If someone is new to cruising, and doesn't like it, 8 days will seem like an eternity. 

Also, to ME, the experience onboard the various ships is relatively the same. Food, trivia, pool, shows,  movies, etc. The particular ship doesn't matter. The destinations matter more.

Even with Carnival ships, we have found different experiences with the different classes.  The Vista has a lot of things that I think teens would really like.  My husband and I prefer the size of the Magic and Breeze.  My son actually had fun playing dodge ball several times in the sports area, but that wasn't available when we cruised a smaller ship.  The smaller ships don't have a lower deck where you can walk around, lounge, or eat outside and they have less food options. The differences aren't huge, but they are there.

HINT: If your friend went to the Citadel in Charelston, S.C. or noit. Make the first cruise for them to the Someres Isles, BERMUDA.

If you and they play golf like Tiger Woods or not.. it is a Golfers dream in heaven..

This would of course depend on what the first time cruisers interests were. I don't think you can generalize.

My first cruise and DW's first cruise was together. It was in 2002, and we first looked for it in late 2001. I said Bermuda as we could drive to the port and not have to fly. She said Alaska. (We have since been to both).

We ended up doing a Western Mediterranean that I found. I knew she would love it as she is an art teacher and how can you beat those ports for art. 

I'm taking my daughter and granddaughter on their first cruise in Oct.  With so many islands to choose from I thought it was a difficult choice as well.  At first I choose the cruise out of San Juan because I think the eastern islands are more beautiful than the western Caribbean islands.  Then when airfare was released for San Juan I choked!!  I changed over to the Breeze out of Cape Canaveral going to St.Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk and Amber Cove.  We will be spending some time at the Kennedy Space Center before heading back home.  I think this itinerary will be good enough for them to get a taste of the islands.  I would stick with the islands in the Eastern routes.