Is Murano really, really worth it ??

Pier290

I must confess I don't really rate Muranos.  Alsmez is spot on I think - it depends what you consider "fine dining".  And I think possibly culture.  To a Brit the cuisine is a bit dated (well - to me anyway.  I'll probably get flamed...) The food is well prepared but not always more so than Luminae or another specialty.  (Sorry - haven't eaten in MDR since they invented Luminae)  Table side prep is unusual on a ship of course; but very 1970's.  We normally have unlimited specialty dining as a perk and I'll happily go if others in the party want to.  But I wouldn't spend $150 on it. Or miss a favorite item on the other menus for it!

The only exception is the cheese board.  (And I won't pay $150 for a cheese board either!!) The only decent cheese on board even if they still persist in keeping it chilled.  I was slightly surprised to know more about the cheeses that the wait staff did  - but at least they had them.  (I've even been successful in persuading the Luminae staff to raid the Muranos cheese board for me once in a while.)

"To a Brit the cuisine is a bit dated"

Surely, to anyone, it's more than a bit dated - but, isn't that the point? It is to me anyway. Great to somewhat relive the experience of my first fine dining experiences of the early 70's as well as to be reminded of my Dad's descriptions of the service he provided as a steward on the the truly grand Cunard liners of the "golden age". 

"The only exception is the cheese board.  (And I won't pay $150 for a cheese board either!!) The only decent cheese on board even if they still persist in keeping it chilled."

The cheese board is the highlight for me - and as we like to dine late, the cheese seems to have had a bit of time to come to something approaching the right temperature. I'd love to see the introduction of a small specialty dining venue dedicated to cheese (and perhaps charcuterie) - I'd likely spend much of my cruise in there if it were done right.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GastroGnome said:

The only exception is the cheese board.  (And I won't pay $150 for a cheese board either!!) The only decent cheese on board even if they still persist in keeping it chilled.  I was slightly surprised to know more about the cheeses that the wait staff did  - but at least they had them.  (I've even been successful in persuading the Luminae staff to raid the Muranos cheese board for me once in a while.)

The cheese board is a highlight for me too - I am not a big dessert eater and prefer to end my meal with cheese. Like wpgcycler, we tend to eat late and have never noticed the cheeses being chilled (although perhaps this varies ship to ship?). On our last cruise (Silhouette), we had a wonderful waiter-waitress team who learned after the first night that I am a fan of extra-ripe Epoisses, and they made sure to reserve a portion of the runniest one available for me every night thereafter. I am pleased to hear that the Luminae staff can be persuaded to raid Murano's cheese collection, although since we are trying Luminae for the first time on Summit in a few weeks that won't apply in our case.

Two quick points to add:

One, be prepared that discounted tables are not always available, especially if you sail on a holiday cruise (which we did) or if there are a lot of folks who've purchased the dining packages. 

Two, I agree that Murano is somewhat old-school, but I enjoy it for that reason. Not sure what the trends are in other cities, but where I live most of the newer, interesting restaurants seem to have the same decor -- I call it "barren modern" -- uncomfortable unpadded chairs that one has to perch on, few if any soft goods in the dining room to muffle sound, and a consciously 'rustic' approach to decor that seems to be required in the many new 'farm-to-table' restaurants. 

Frankly I'm a bit over having to pour my own water out of a Mason jug on the table and grab my own silverware from a can, straining to hear the words of my fellow diners, and gazing at wooden panels wrenched from some defunct dairy barn passed off as decor.  I'll take Murano any time!

• Like 6

It’s excellent and with a booked package good value in our view, remember it’s not just about the food but also the ambiance and service next to the MDR which is very busy, noisy, with waiters rushed off their feet. You have far more space between tables. We have the 6 night package already booked which works out at £26 pp per meal. People will say don’t book in advance but be aware discounts at Murano half way into the cruise are not always available, every cruise is different.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, Pier290 said:

Is the extra $50/pp REALLY worth the food at Murano?  We booked it already but using $150 of our OBC....that we can use for other things.

Just want to make sure Murano is absolutely worth it on a 10 night cruise on Equinox..... traveling with my mom and sister.....

We also booked Tuscan for the 1st night sail away at discounted rate....

We had Tuscan Grill first night , very good food and service 🙂

Booked Murano, bad service and cold food.Not worth money.

We were on the April 13th.2019  sailing

Edited by Sirkeline
grammar :-P

Our problem is that it is too much food.

On the last cruise, I managed a bite of the Cheese souffle. Delicious, but very rich.

Next I had the fish which was very good.

Of course, I ordered dessert. Shouldn't have! DH had a gorgeous one made tableside, but felt it during the night.

If we could share each course, it would be a winner!

I recently was on the Reflection for an 11 night cruise and there were several days during the cruise that discounts were offered onboard. We got a 2 for 1 offer in murano on the first night because we were Aqua cabin guests but other nights the price was $30-35.

I suspect food waste isn't really the point of the experience.

6 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Surely, to anyone, it's more than a bit dated - but, isn't that the point? It is to me anyway.

Yes!! Absolutely fair point. It is completely a hark back to those Cunard and type sailings.   Badged as that - understandable and brilliant.  Badged as fine dining... less so.  But thank you for expressing that better than I managed to.

6 hours ago, Alsmez said:

On our last cruise (Silhouette), we had a wonderful waiter-waitress team who learned after the first night that I am a fan of extra-ripe Epoisses, and they made sure to reserve a portion of the runniest one available for me every night thereafter.

Chilled cheeses..  That is perhaps a point of view.  Ideally cheese, particularly a soft cheese,  should be fully at room temperature which requires 6+ hours outside the chiller.  In the UK legislation means it cannot be more than 4 hours outside a chiller and US food regulation (which X ships adhere to) says not more than 1 hour.

Yes - I managed this too  - although no always to my advantage.  The Luminae staff would always make sure the cheese option was out of the fridge when we arrived and so about 90 minutes to room temp by the time I ate.  And I absolutely and massively appreciate their efforts - it was - and will again I hope be  - very touching.  But if that night I did for some odd reason fancy the dessert I did feel bad! 

If you like cheese and can get hold of something not processed or previously frozen - try leaving it out for more than 6 hours and taste the difference.  That said - I completely acknowledge the supply, storage and transport issues a cruise line faces.  All the cheeses - even Murano's - have been frozen for transport from the US .  They must keep chill chain because of the unique issues around cruise food.  I'd love more European cheeses - but I do get why not.

Point being OP - get a discount once you are on board. But don't necessarily fall for the hype about fine dining...

• Like 1

Food for thought (pun intended) ... perhaps consider Murano with the first night discount. Then try Tuscan another night during the cruise (likely for a lesser price once onboard) or even booked ahead. We've had hit or miss experiences at Tuscan, but every dinner in Murano has been exceptional (includes the Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse.)

Full disclosure: we sail in suites and our preferred dining venue is Luminae, so the comparison is not apples to apples regarding the MDR. Not a fan of Silk Harvest or Qsine either.

Don't spend too much time mulling it over. You'll be on a cruise, pampered and catered to. It's all good 😉

Edited by DogLover
Typo

When we dine in Murano’s it is our ‘evening entertainment’. We will dine there several times each cruise (included for us as we book RS or PH).

We enjoy Tuscan, especially first night, as the wake view remind us we are at last on holiday. Le Petit Chef is fun, but only once per cruise. However, Murano’s offers something else....

What some are referring to as dated we would simply describe as ‘traditional’...

We enjoy asking the sommelier to pair our wines with our food choices, never fail to enjoy the tableside preparation, leisurely talk, eat, drink and enjoy the ambience....We also find as ‘regulars’ the staff will remember our preferences ensuring the ‘flow’ of the meal goes at our pace....

We are put off booking M class now there is no longer a ‘cruise liner’ option.

We have dined in land restaurants with better food because  the food is fresh, local and seasonal, more important to us than Michelin stars! However, we find the food quality in Murano’s to be reliably very good. Also, as Yorky says, it is about the service and ambience, not just the food. 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

We went to Murano and the Lawn Club on the Silhouette in March got them both for 30 dollars. The Lawn Club was great good steaks and sides. Murano was nothing special to us I thought it as stuffy and pretentious and the food was nothing special,won’t be going back to Murano,but will go back this September to the Lawn Club.

We really loved Murano.  Ate there the first and last nights of our November 2018 Silhouette cruise.  Of course, upon boarding, we inquired and got a 30% discount.  We did enjoy it so much that we paid the regular upcharge for the last night.  Our server (who also prepared the tableside lobster), Marco, was outstanding.

21 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Murano at lunch on a sea day is another option. The menu is limited, but the ambience, service and string duo contribute to an enjoyable change of pace from the MDR or OV. The price was $25 on the Eclipse earlier this month.

Agree with other posters who suggest dining there on embarkation day or later in the cruise at a bargained for lower price.

Do they offer see day lunches on7 day cruises? This interests me

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Murano is excellent.  If you're not doing a dining package, negotiate later in the cruise.  We're on a 12 night currently, and some companions worked out a 40% discount.  30% may be more realistic for a 7 night cruise.

On our last cruise there were discounts available for Tuscan later in the cruise. They absolutely refused any discount for Murano. It was pay full price or forget it.

2 hours ago, DanaDanes said:

Do they offer see day lunches on7 day cruises? This interests me

Our cruise was 15 nights so IDK if offered on a shorter itinerary. Perhaps you can check when you board and express your interest in a sea day lunch there. I wouldn't have known about this option without friends we made aboard including us in a table they'd reserved.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 7:13 AM, villauk said:

Ocean Liners was worth the extra; it was the best speciality restaurant on a cruise ship (only my opinion of course).

We miss Ocean Liners...

We'd plan dinner there a couple of nights during a longer cruise & the odd featured lunch on sea days!!!!

Our last trip on the Connie was a few weeks prior to Dry Dock, when they removed Ocean Liners...

We dined there "numerous" times to say "Good-Bye"...

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 9:06 AM, Cruise a holic said:

iMO yes!  If you book a package for a few dinners you can save.  Depending upon you package can be 1/2 off.  We enjoy sp restaurants, especially lawn club grill on silhouette and reflection.  

Not anymore! The package prices increased in late 2018 - now even the 12-night package costs $31.50 per night!

We were on Silhouette last November for a TA and DH decided to surprise me with a "Romance" package.  Our great travel agent called back to inform him that X was offering a special package of 2 dinner and one lunch for $100/pp.    We used one of the dinners for Murano and I hate to say that I was underwhelmed.   Both of us took the lobster and it was just too rich.   I would give it a second chance if we have OBC on our next cruise or score another great dining package.   We live in the Greater Chicago area and dine in the city frequently so are no strangers to fine dining.  Cruise cuisine has a way to go to compete with that.

Honestly,  the best meal I ever had on a cruise ship was in the Normandie dining room on Summit in 2002.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shofer said:

We were on Silhouette last November for a TA and DH decided to surprise me with a "Romance" package.  Our great travel agent called back to inform him that X was offering a special package of 2 dinner and one lunch for $100/pp.    We used one of the dinners for Murano and I hate to say that I was underwhelmed.   Both of us took the lobster and it was just too rich.   I would give it a second chance if we have OBC on our next cruise or score another great dining package.   We live in the Greater Chicago area and dine in the city frequently so are no strangers to fine dining.  Cruise cuisine has a way to go to compete with that.

Honestly,  the best meal I ever had on a cruise ship was in the Normandie dining room on Summit in 2002.   

I always ask the waiter at Murano to broil my lobster tail.  I also find the sauce too rich for me.  My DH orders the steak for one, but the waiter gives us so much, I get surf and turf.  They will modify the food preparation if you ask.

We as Shofer, live in NY and are no strangers to some of the worlds best restaurants, so I find it difficult to dine in Lumanie, blu or any of the regular restaurants.  Typically, we use our OBC to purchase specialty dining 5 times on a one week cruise.  We buy when the package is on sale and IMO worth it to have a relaxing dinner in a quiet atmosphere. 

OP,

Perhaps the question is what do you and your other family members want from your holiday, that would help you decide whether it is a good use of your resources and how important is food in that equation. We tend to travel as a family ranging from 18 to 89 years and live miles away from each other, so a holiday is a good time to catch up on family news and gossip, thee is always something to celebrate so a lovely family meal is important to us as we spend little time together otherwise.

IMHO, I liked Murano. I have eaten at various Michelin star restaurants over the years and no it doesn't compare, but then comparing land vs sea restaurants, is a bit apple vs pears. Is it Michelin fine dining, no but it very nice. On my last Celebrity cruise in August 2018, we tried everything on Silly except the MDR and dined in Murano 4 times during a 14 night cruise. Even though we had access to Luminae on both sailings, we much preferred Murano.

Why so many times. Firstly we had looked at the menu before sailing and there were about 4 mains that we each wanted to try, so 4 dinners. We did not eat starters or desserts because the food is rich. The other more important factor was the restaurant is a more intimate setting, the staff were exemplary, we were fortunate to have the same table each time and same wait staff. That is not to say that staff are not good on Celebrity, it was just better but not fawning.  We found it was a quieter and dimmed setting more akin to eating at dinner party which meant we could talk without shouting and the presentation was unhurried. Our only instruction to the sommelier was to surprise us and he did introduce us to some lovely new wines.

Food is subjective, so I can't say it is the best at sea. We have tried other lines and I would rate Murano better overall. Next month I have Chops on Royal Caribbean to look forward to and from my previous encounters, Murano is definitely better.

Recently off the Eclipse and very much enjoyed our dinner at Murano’s.  Food, presentation and service was excellent.  Also, a more quiet experience.  We purchased a trio package pre-cruise using OBC, so if that is possible suggest doing that. Once we were on-board selected the restaurants and days we wanted.  Depending on the length of cruise, it is a nice break from the other dining options. There were always offerings of discounts for specialty restaurants so would be another option, but days and times may be limited.