NCL partners with Uplift for cruise installment payments

PatJim

Jim just went on NCL's website to check cruise prices, and found something new.

NCL has started a 12-month payment plan, partnering with Uplift.com.  When you sign up for a cruise, you can choose the Uplift option.  Only after providing more information to that  company, will they reveal how much will be each monthly payment.  I would guess that there is an extra cost for this 'service,' though those who like the idea of a fixed monthly cost to pay off their cruise will welcome it.

Couldn't find a news release from NCL, or anything here on CC about this new program, and NCL is not yet listed as a partner on Uplift's website.

If anyone chooses to pursue this option, could you let us know the additional cost?  Thanks!

Patricia 

LMAO, this is not new. I posted this here several months ago.  There is also a thread about this someone started about a week ago.  I was foolish and thought it was a way of reminding me how much I needed to pay each month before final payment.  Not sure why you need to finance a cruise when NCL gives you over a year to pay it off in some circumstances.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, PatJim said:

Jim just went on NCL's website to check cruise prices, and found something new.

NCL has started a 12-month payment plan, partnering with Uplift.com.  When you sign up for a cruise, you can choose the Uplift option.  Only after providing more information to that  company, will they reveal how much will be each monthly payment.  I would guess that there is an extra cost for this 'service,' though those who like the idea of a fixed monthly cost to pay off their cruise will welcome it.

Couldn't find a news release from NCL, or anything here on CC about this new program, and NCL is not yet listed as a partner on Uplift's website.

If anyone chooses to pursue this option, could you let us know the additional cost?  Thanks!

Patricia 

Why would you not just make regular monthly payments to NCL?

If they have stopped that option I can accomplish the same thing by paying in full with a CC and then paying whatever I want to my own CC company at a much better interest rate.

Edited by zqvol

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Why would you not just make regular monthly payments to NCL?

If they have stopped that option I can accomplish the same thing by paying in full with a CC and then paying whatever I want to my own CC company at a much better interest rate.

Thanks, everyone, for responses.  Sorry I didn't find the earlier postings about this, as I did a search here using the Uplift name.  Did learn something new--that one can pay NCL direct in installments, with no added fees.  

Totally agree that the Uplift program is an insane way to throw away $$$$.

Patricia 

NCL has squeezed the payment window, now 120 days, was 90. If you book close to cruise time it can be tight. NCL is giving themselves a chance to close more sales, the option will appeal to some. Also not everyone has credit cards or their  limits are way under the price of a cruise, even if they pay the bill in full. So this is  a way for them. NCL is a mass market cruise company so they need products that appeal to all.

I can put a plan in place to afford a Haven cruise, but I'd rather take 3 cruises than one Haven cruise. Is there something awful about someone else choosing the Haven? I just think to each his own and NCL wants everyone to have a chance to cruise with NCL.

• Like 3

35.9%? Are you kidding me? If you wan to pa by installments, just pay NCL directly per month. All you have to do is divide your total payment due by the months to final payment, and you have your payment interest free.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, 1midsun said:

We book pretty far ahead and then just save the money in a separate account, and make the final payment on the due date.

We do the same🙂

It's just another option for those who may not have another option.  It's great that none of you folks need to finance it this way.  Like me, consider yourself fortunate.  I usually book last minute deals myself, usually the sailaway rate as I don't need any of the "free" perks.

• 4 months later...

I realize this is a few months old, but I used uplift and my APR was about 4%. I say APR because I was not charged interest just an origination fee of about $50.  I have good credit  and didn't mind the extra $50 fee. You can also pay early with but I would not save on interest since you can't get refunded the origination fee and that is all the interest I was chargedo. This option would be good for a last minute cruise. Right now there are cruises from my home port that are 399 per person plus tax and fee. I would never pay 15 to 30 percent but I guess some would.

A bit off topic, or not....

We have a monthly condo fee in our neighborhood - they push a bill pay service, where for $10/month they will auto withdraw the fee from our bank account....or of course you can mail a check/pay online through the bank’s website for free 😆. Can’t imagine anyone paying $10 for this “service”..

Point about last-minute cruises and needing financing is well-taken, especially with 3% interest or $50 origination fee ONLY - but some of the other interest rates folks posted are INSANE; even if you got a great deal on the cruise itself you’d lose any financial benefit by paying those rates.  And, I’m of the school that cruises are DISCRETIONARY SPENDING and if you have to incur debt for a discretionary spend perhaps you should reconsider.  You’d be better off to do the “book early and have the discipline to make monthly payments to NCL or your savings account” so it IS paid before you travel.  

Agreed, for me the $50 fee was worth it. There is a website that tracks the price changes of cruises. If I had booked in advance and made monthly payments the price would have been more than double. Now I can get the better last minute price and still make monthly payments. The price savings more than covers the $50 fee. But if I didn't have good credit I would not be intrested in paying 15 to 30 percent. Also I can catch the bus to my home port. So not having to fly makes a difference. A short taxi ride and a 1 hour bus ride and I am at the pier.

• 2 months later...

We just discovered this option. We have always booked using our NCL credit card to build points then just paid it off when the bill came.

For those saying why not just make payments to NCL, there are those that book last minute....like we just did (only 3 weeks to go).

We have good credit, with mine being in the 800's and hubby in mid 700's. However, he wants to boost his more and at this point, all he has on his credit is credit cards and wants to get a variety going.

So, we decided to finance this next cruise in 3 weeks and it's only costing a little over $100 to do so. It will help boost his scores over time AND....the best part, being on automatic payments using the NCL credit card. I will still get points!

Winning

13 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

This is predatory lending. Horrible. 

If you can't afford to pay for your cruise in full, then you can't afford the cruise. 

I agree that if you have to finance a cruise perhaps you should not go. But I disagree that it is predatory. I took a loans and the terms were very clear. I paid an origination fee of $50. My payments are 253. I will finish paying in Feb. There was no interest only the origination fee. I assume if your credit isn't good you would pay more. Mant people take cruises and make monthly payments. Uplift allows those who want to, to still make monthly payments but take advantage of last minute deals. 

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

We just discovered this option. We have always booked using our NCL credit card to build points then just paid it off when the bill came.

For those saying why not just make payments to NCL, there are those that book last minute....like we just did (only 3 weeks to go).

We have good credit, with mine being in the 800's and hubby in mid 700's. However, he wants to boost his more and at this point, all he has on his credit is credit cards and wants to get a variety going.

So, we decided to finance this next cruise in 3 weeks and it's only costing a little over $100 to do so. It will help boost his scores over time AND....the best part, being on automatic payments using the NCL credit card. I will still get points!

Winning

Not too sure you're winning.  When you take "a loan" they do a credit check and this lowers your credit score.

Not sure why all the judgement about who would use such a program. 

I booked at 30 days out and was offered Uplift. My additional cost was $39. Yet I have a year to pay in full and payment plan was not an option through NCL.

I can not book a year ahead with my job, and this option pretty much a great way to keep my credit cards open for other needs.

2 hours ago, michele.westphall said:

Not sure why all the judgement about who would use such a program. 

I booked at 30 days out and was offered Uplift. My additional cost was $39. Yet I have a year to pay in full and payment plan was not an option through NCL.

I can not book a year ahead with my job, and this option pretty much a great way to keep my credit cards open for other needs.

People on discussion boards can be so judgmental sometimes. Sounds like you have good credit to get such a good rate with uplift. Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1