Travel friend is sick, so now I'm a solo traveler last minute

oneloyaldawg

My friend that is supposed to go with me on our cruise was in the ER last night with some awful version of strep that caused her to pass out. We are supposed to fly out tomorrow night for our cruise on Wednesday. Unfortunately no trip insurance, so were in a tough spot. I feel awful for her because there's a 98% chance she cant go and will loose all the money and the trip we've been so excited about, and i'm feeling pretty bummed myself that i'm now cruising alone.

So: Any tips on cruising solo? I've researched a million things about this trip, but not anything about this. How do you find people to go to the dining room with? Are the solo cruisers events on the ship any good? 

Also, any chance she can get any money back? or even future cruise credit?

Not sure what you (or your friend) can do about missing the cruise.  The old mantra applies, travel insurance isn't worth it until you need it.  

As far as cruising solo, I've been doing that quite a bit over the last couple of years.  Not sure what advice to give, as you don't mention your itinerary or the ship you're sailing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oneloyaldawg said:

Were on the Dawn leaving 5/1. Stops in Nassau, GSC, and Key West

The Freestyle Daily will give you information about a Solos gathering each evening.  

You can asked at the Hostess Desk of any restaurant about being seated with others.  Explain your situation on your Roll Call and maybe someone will invite you to join them for a meal.

My favorite stop would be Key West---- The Ernest Hemmingway House and The Truman Winter White House-- would be tops on my "must see" list.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oneloyaldawg said:

Were on the Dawn leaving 5/1. Stops in Nassau, GSC, and Key West

OK....look in the dailies about when/where solo gatherings are happening.  You might find a group of people who like to do the same things you do and be able to hang out with them.

I've always been fond of going to the main dining room(s) and ask to be seated with others. I've made some good friends and hooked up with interesting people that way, also.

Find excursions that are more likely to appeal to you without a partner (thinking guided tours, bus tours, etc).

In Nassau, I find a taxi to give me a private tour after getting off the ship.  Shopping aplenty within walking distance in downtown Nassau (not the market right outside of the ID checking stations).  Going to Atlantis is popular.  I like hanging out at Jankanoo Beach, just to chill and soak up some of the local Nassau flavor.

GSC is NCL's private island.  Beautiful beach and crystal water.  You can pay for different water based activities.  Personally, a lounger and a book is what I like to do most.  You'll find bars and restaurants (operated by NCL) there, too.

Key West....I just do a regular "walk here....walk there" in Key West.  I usually find something I might want to do (Hemingway's home tour, as an example).  It's touristy.  

I'm sure you'll have fun. Just don't put any stress on yourself being a solo.  You might find you enjoy it. 😉 

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

OK....look in the dailies about when/where solo gatherings are happening.  You might find a group of people who like to do the same things you do and be able to hang out with them.

I've always been fond of going to the main dining room(s) and ask to be seated with others. I've made some good friends and hooked up with interesting people that way, also.

Find excursions that are more likely to appeal to you without a partner (thinking guided tours, bus tours, etc).

In Nassau, I find a taxi to give me a private tour after getting off the ship.  Shopping aplenty within walking distance in downtown Nassau (not the market right outside of the ID checking stations).  Going to Atlantis is popular.  I like hanging out at Jankanoo Beach, just to chill and soak up some of the local Nassau flavor.

GSC is NCL's private island.  Beautiful beach and crystal water.  You can pay for different water based activities.  Personally, a lounger and a book is what I like to do most.  You'll find bars and restaurants (operated by NCL) there, too.

Key West....I just do a regular "walk here....walk there" in Key West.  I usually find something I might want to do (Hemingway's home tour, as an example).  It's touristy.  

I'm sure you'll have fun. Just don't put any stress on yourself being a solo.  You might find you enjoy it. 😉 

I would not recommend doing anything in nassau by yourself, especially going off in a taxi. (think safety) Atlantis with a group could be an option.

• Like 3

Just now, Newleno said:

I would not recommend doing anything in nassau by yourself, especially going off in a taxi. (think safety) Atlantis with a group could be an option.

I get what you're saying. 

I was there in February, and wandered around by myself.  I didn't fee intimidated or in any way threatened.  But, I've heard of some instances where the tourists got nervous for some reason.

Agree about Atlantis.  I would have no issue whatsoever with going to Junkanoo Beach.  I hung out there for an afternoon and had a blast with the locals.  Seems like they enjoyed talking to me, too.

1 hour ago, oneloyaldawg said:

My friend that is supposed to go with me on our cruise was in the ER last night with some awful version of strep that caused her to pass out. We are supposed to fly out tomorrow night for our cruise on Wednesday. Unfortunately no trip insurance, so were in a tough spot. I feel awful for her because there's a 98% chance she cant go and will loose all the money and the trip we've been so excited about, and i'm feeling pretty bummed myself that i'm now cruising alone.

So: Any tips on cruising solo? I've researched a million things about this trip, but not anything about this. How do you find people to go to the dining room with? Are the solo cruisers events on the ship any good? 

Also, any chance she can get any money back? or even future cruise credit?

48 hours on antibiotics before the flight, maybe she will make it?

12 minutes ago, deedle7544 said:

48 hours on antibiotics before the flight, maybe she will make it?

We've got all our fingers and toes crossed, but i just don't know. And I want to be prepared if she doesn't make it. 

I've traveled solo before and loved it (Amtrak trip across the US), but its different traveling solo when its a last minute cancellation like this versus a planned solo trip. Think ill pack an extra book now

• Like 1

Have her take a few shots before boarding.  Will kill the germs, and the look of being sick, replaced by the look of starting the party early!  

All she needs to do is get on the ship.  Even if she feels a little sick for a few days, the likelihood is by time you reach the first port she will be ok.  Better to have a few days of a cruise, then miss it entirely and lose all that money 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Have her take a few shots before boarding.  Will kill the germs, and the look of being sick, replaced by the look of starting the party early!  

All she needs to do is get on the ship.  Even if she feels a little sick for a few days, the likelihood is by time you reach the first port she will be ok.  Better to have a few days of a cruise, then miss it entirely and lose all that money 

That's a seriously bad idea.   Going on board a cruise ship while you may still have strep?   No.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

That's a seriously bad idea.   Going on board a cruise ship while you may still have strep?   No.

No longer contagious after 24 hours on antibiotics w/ strept.  She will have 48 hours of antibiotics in her.  Might feel crappy, but won't be contagious anymore.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

No longer contagious after 24 hours on antibiotics w/ strept.  She will have 48 hours of antibiotics in her.  Might feel crappy, but won't be contagious anymore.  

Ah, didn't realize they worked that fast on something like strep.  Learned something new.  Thanks.

Just now, ColeThornton said:

Ah, didn't realize they worked that fast on something like strep.  Learned something new.  Thanks.

Yeah strep stinks...very painful drinking/swallowing, but antibiotics work pretty quickly with it.  She definitely won't feel great on Wednesday (5/1) when boarding.  But by Friday, will probably kick herself for not going since she is feeling better.  

That being said, I've never landed in the ER with strep throat.  So that might be a whole new ball game 

• Like 1

I had a milder version of strep less than a week before my cruise a month ago.  If she has been getting rest today and does for the next 24 hours she may feel well enough to travel.  I hope it works out for her and you. 

Traveling as a solo - last minute or not - you can still enjoy the cruise

First - look up the roll call to see if there is one. If there is, join the roll call and if you are interested & if they are having a cruise  critic meet and greet, go join. They will provide some drinks and appetizers.

Second - look for the solo group meeting time on the freestyle newsletter. You will meet different people and you can join others for dinner/lunch and breakfast after meeting the first time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Don't overlook going to the Cruise Critic M&G to meet people. You may find those traveling solo or groups of fantastic people to "buddy up with" at dinner, shows and ports 

3 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

Traveling as a solo - last minute or not - you can still enjoy the cruise

First - look up the roll call to see if there is one. If there is, join the roll call and if you are interested & if they are having a cruise  critic meet and greet, go join. They will provide some drinks and appetizers.

Second - look for the solo group meeting time on the freestyle newsletter. You will meet different people and you can join others for dinner/lunch and breakfast after meeting the first time.

ECHO - these two posts - attend the Meet & Greet - talk with CC host and get introduced - while shared shore excursions

maybe an obstacle (late booking adding a 3rd 4th or so) - bring that good reading book (sea days) - make the most

of this lousy situation - AND ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR TRAVELING COMPANION.

About that health form - read it over carefully if what your companion has experienced is not listed don't volunteer it !

Don't volunteer prescription medicine. As long as sea sickness doesn't intervene causing something worse and don't

communicate with others about your recent bout with the bug. Taken with a tongue in cheek "Take two of these and

Call me in the morning" ! Oh and take care of mixing prescription drugs with certain foods for adverse reactions.

Take care wishing you the best !

There are lots of excellent suggestions here.  I'll add my 2 cents worth...but they may not be worth that.  🙂

The thermal spa in the Dawn is nice and a good place to just relax, enjoy views and soak away tension.  Even if you didn't buy a pass, they "may" be available on day one (and they'll give you a tour to see for yourself) and it is possible that a single day pass may be available on some days.

I go for a long walk around the ship in the morning after the gym.  With my coffee, of course, but not with my usual companion.  I meet lots of interesting folks out doing the same thing.  It is fun to swap stories, ask/answer questions and get to know folks in that way.  The Dawn (as I recall) has a nice promenade deck (#7) that allows a complete walk around the ship...without being truncated like many of NCL's larger ships.  There always seem to be quite a few people out walking.

Enjoy your cruise...I hope it is with your friend...

Best,

MD

Sorry,   but many of the above "health suggestions"  are WAY out of line.  And certainly NOT from any professionals.    What simplistic  back seat  claims.   

Another issue will be =-  since there was no travel insurance involved-   is there health insurance?    There isn't any guarantee route of treatments or outcomes.   Again, very poor suggestions above.     IF health care is needed from the ship medical,  make sure there is insurance to cover it.    It is also NECESSARY  to get health clearance from a professional-   to go on the trip.  NOT a decision based on a message board claim or because someone is afraid of loosing some money.