RedneckBob gets "burned" in Alaska

RedneckBob

Who would have thunk it !

Just took 11th cruise to Alaska and got burned.  We were at Ketchacan, Juneau, Glacier Bay and Skaqway between April 27 to April 30, 2019 and it did not snow, it did not rain, it did not hail; bottom line it was 4 days of cloudless skies; only deep blue skies at the end of April. Never had been to Ketchacan when it did not rain. Bottom line I got a sun tan in Alaska. Temps's were in mid 50's but sun was hot. Incredible and stunning sights !

Is this normal for end of April ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Just took 11th cruise to Alaska and got burned.  We were at Ketchacan, Juneau, Glacier Bay and Skaqway between April 27 to April 30, 2019 and it did not snow, it did not rain, it did not hail; bottom line it was 4 days of cloudless skies; only deep blue skies at the end of April. Never had been to Ketchacan when it did not rain. Bottom line I got a sun tan in Alaska. Temps's were in mid 50's but sun was hot. Incredible and stunning sights !

Redneck Bob, it is hard to believe that you were in both Ketchikan and Juneau this early and it did not rain.  Did you remember to get off the ship or did you fall asleep under the canopy again for the whole cruise and get sunburned?  Just kidding of course, glad you had great weather for your cruise, it is indeed a rare occasion when you can miss the morning rain showers this time of the year, especially in Juneau and Ketchikan.

• Like 1

My last trip to Ketchikan was also bright and sunny - quite unusual as previous 4 trips there it rained.  I had to take a photo of the Ketchikan  sign against the cloudless sky as I knew no one would believe it!

• Like 1

We were first ship in Ketchacan. Juneau and Skaqway. Shops opened for first time when we arrived and they had great deals.  Forgot to mention that our last port was Victoria and it was also a cloudless sky. First time I ever saw tops of mountains in Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@RedneckBob you rascal 😉 !   

From the title I was expecting to read something about why you had to miss a port completely.     So glad it wasn't that, and congrats on all the sun! 

Eye catching title.

We were so early to Alaska that I opened a gift shop in Ketchacan on April 27th and the shop still had the last of season specials posted from when they closed on October 1, 2018 !

On May 5, 2019 at 11:50 AM, G&G said:

You were very lucky. Which cruise ship?

Ruby Princess.

Forgot to mention that a few days before we had this great weather, locals said it rained, snowed, hailed and winds up to 60 mph for a week. Very lucky we were.

• 1 month later...

We already cruised the Norwegian fjords but now looking forward to the Alaska cruise on Cunard Line.  Maybe it will be disappointing for us as we live in Newfoundland and Labrador and having icebergs, moose and eagles in our backyard.   Are we wasting our money?  What will we see in Alaska that we didn't see in Norway or don't see in Newfoundland and Labrador.  Comments please.  Thank you

6 hours ago, Harley52 said:

We already cruised the Norwegian fjords but now looking forward to the Alaska cruise on Cunard Line.  Maybe it will be disappointing for us as we live in Newfoundland and Labrador and having icebergs, moose and eagles in our backyard.   Are we wasting our money?  What will we see in Alaska that we didn't see in Norway or don't see in Newfoundland and Labrador.  Comments please.  Thank you

Diamonds International

12 hours ago, Harley52 said:

If you go into the trip with a "can't impress me because I've already seen better" attitude you'll likely create reason for disappointment. If you go with an anticipation to enjoy beauty that you have yet to see, it's there to be enjoyed.

George

23 minutes ago, VintageGeo said:

If you go into the trip with a "can't impress me because I've already seen better" attitude you'll likely create reason for disappointment. If you go with an anticipation to enjoy beauty that you have yet to see, it's there to be enjoyed.

George

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my comment, it is greatly appreciated and I value your opinion.  Fair winds and following seas.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Diamonds International

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my comment, it is greatly appreciated and I value your opinion.  Fair winds and following seas.

13 hours ago, Harley52 said:

We already cruised the Norwegian fjords

We've cruised those and we've cruise Alaska 3x in the past but are going there again in 4 weeks and looking forward to seeing the beauty of Alaska and a relaxing week. Enjoy your cruise and keep your eyes open, who knows what you'll see?

On 5/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, RedneckBob said:

NO.... NOAA  has released information  that this season is not normal    They had one in 2009 like this  but temps od 80 and 90 are being recorded as of yesterday....

19 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

We just spent June 23-30 on the Oosterdam in Alaska and the weather was AMAZING! No rain, not a cloud in the sky and hot and sunny every day and every port. It was truly wonderful!

Great to here. We were both very lucky!