Ever had a cruise cancellation by the CL?

gkrnjlr

Yes.  We were booked for this year on the Golden and they called and canceled.  They offered us $15 OBC for our troubles.  Fortunately we were notified well in advance.

2 minutes ago, Hobbes67 said:

Yes.  We were booked for this year on the Golden and they called and canceled.  They offered us $15 OBC for our troubles.  Fortunately we were notified well in advance.

Your cruise was for NEXT year, and they cancelled it LAST year. 

42 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

They cancelled his because the ship was leaving the fleet.  They cancelled it with a 1 1/2 years notice.

Golden is leaving the Princess fleet in August 2020. No bookings were initially taken beyond that date.

We really need more details from the OP. Yes ships get redeployed to different parts of the world sometimes even after initial bookings for the same time, different place had opened. Not to mentioned individual sailings get chartered. It seems to happen less often on Princess than some other lines. But we don't even know if the OP is asking about Princess in the first place.

1 minute ago, fishywood said:

Golden is leaving the Princess fleet in August 2020. No bookings were initially taken beyond that date.

We really need more details from the OP. Yes ships get redeployed to different parts of the world sometimes even after initial bookings for the same time, different place had opened. Not to mentioned individual sailings get chartered. It seems to happen less often on Princess than some other lines. But we don't even know if the OP is asking about Princess in the first place.

My question is just in general.  Not 100% related to Princess.  I had one canceled by NCL recently and am booked on the Grand Princess for next year (and considering more).....so I was just wondering about CLs canceling in general.   

5 minutes ago, gkrnjlr said:

My question is just in general.  Not 100% related to Princess.  I had one canceled by NCL recently and am booked on the Grand Princess for next year (and considering more).....so I was just wondering about CLs canceling in general.   

circumstances and compensation?

28 minutes ago, milolii said:

I hear/read of NCL cancelations more often then I hear about Princess or others.  Usually the reason is charters.  

We'll I just finished a month long fight with NCL to get my deposit back on a cruise planned for January '20.  No explanation, just an email saying it was cancelled - then a dozen phone calls and hours on the phone to get our deposit back.

Was cancelled 6 days after I booked my airfare, since I did it on my own, no compensation from NCL.  Highly unlikely I'll book with them again any time soon.

Oh, and why was it really cancelled?  Apparently wasn't selling well enough.  Was replaced by a 7 day itinerary RT from New Orleans.  I'd have gladly moved over to 2 of those back to back but apparently that was too much trouble for them.

I've never had one cancelled with Princess thank gawd.

Never had one cancelled.

But have heard of a number of ones that have.   Sudden availability of a dry dock.  Whole ship charter.   Redeploy ship to another market.  Ship has some serious maintenance issues.

Edited by SRF

We had  a river cruise with Uniworld  chartered out after we had already paid the full fare. They did offer different cruises with an upgrade, but Amsterdam was where we wanted to go, not their other itineraries. We did get out money back, but believe me it is more difficult than paying the fare. They act like they are doing you a favor returning your money even though they were the ones that made the cruise no longer available to us.

(We ended up flying to Amsterdam and doing a land vacation.) And we will never consider doing business with them again.

Only once. We had booked a 2 night cruise to nowhere on NCL on one of the newer ships (I think it was the Breakaway but it's been awhile). The cruise got cancelled because US authorities stopped authorizing CTNs because of issues with the crew visas. I have read of cruises being cancelled because of charters and mechanical issues and weather. What sort of compensation the passenger gets depends a great deal on when the cancellation occurs and for what reason (cancellation due to mechanical issues close to sailing date are more likely to receive compensation than a sailing cancelled due to a charter a year from the sailing date).

Not cancelled, but the itinerary was drastically changed.  NCL - about 4 months prior to sailing.  What was a ten day, NY to NY became a 12 day, NY to Quebec.  I admit that the itinerary was better.  I admit that NCL offered no additional cost for the extra days (except a slight amount for taxes and port fees).  However, they did increase the gratuities from 18% to the newly established 20% (but I'm sure I could have negotiated on that)..  And offered nothing to compensate for already purchased plane tickets.

We cancelled.  Surprisingly,  Delta generously gave us a full refund on the cheap non-refundable flights, the big online TA have us a credit for their small, non-refundable cancellation booking fee.  In retrospect, we probably should have gone.  

We did have a cruise on Carnival Paradise cancelled many years ago.  It was only about a month from sail date ( they had some serious engine problems if I remember correctly).  Of course, we received a full refund for that  cruise. Plus 50% off a future sailing.  That was about 19yr ago  so don't know if that's what they would do now.

We have had a couple of cruises canceled by the cruise line .

All were Charters well in advance of sailing date but the incentive was still pretty good to rebook .

% off the new cruise fare and in 1 case also some OBC I recall.

Never cancel your booking before notification and incentive offered by the cruise line , or you lose out.

One by NCL because they changed the itinerary completely as the ship was being moved from the Baltic to the Med.

A couple by Princess -- one ship was not completely finished on time.  Another was changed to a charter.

Several by HAL.  Again 1 ship was completed on time.  Another HAL decided to keep the ship longer in the Med before returning to the Caribbean which we were scheduled for.  Another was a Med cruise which became a charter.  

20 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

One by NCL because they changed the itinerary completely as the ship was being moved from the Baltic to the Med.

A couple by Princess -- one ship was not completely finished on time.  Another was changed to a charter.

Several by HAL.  Again 1 ship was completed on time.  Another HAL decided to keep the ship longer in the Med before returning to the Caribbean which we were scheduled for.  Another was a Med cruise which became a charter.  

Makes one not want to book so far in advance. . .

Our first cruise was supposed to be on the Celebrity Infinity several years ago. We were noticed about three days prior to sailing that due to propulsion issues, it was cancelled. They gave us a refund and a free cruise, same itinerary on the Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas.💕💕

No, but we had a move over offer from Princess a few years ago.  They called our TA at Christmas and wanted us to give up our Feb South America Cruise.

It was a sweet deal.  We give up the cruise.  They give us a complete refund, a free cruise of the same duration anywhere we want.  A free upgrade from balcony to a mini suite.  Up to $300. in cancellation expenses for air or hotel (our expenses came in at $225.  It took us five seconds to say yes.  Another minute to read their follow up memo, acknowledge it, and confirm back in writing.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, gkrnjlr said:

Has anyone ever been notified by the cruise line that a sailing (not just one booking) was canceled?

We have two or three times. No big deal. the cruise line paid for anything we had spent that was non refundable and that was that.