You cant remove part of your Cabin Tips. It's all or nothing

fstuff1

i usually  sail ncl.

i usually give my cabin steward some $ and remove that same amount from the auto-tips.

well, you cant do that on Celebrity Edge.

you have to remove all. you cant do partial.

😞

Edited by fstuff1

Really no advantage to you or your room attendant to do what you suggest. Much easier to leave auto tips as they are and then just give staff that go above and beyond an extra tip end of cruise.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Why would you take away part of the gratuity and turn around and pay your room steward that same amount? Makes no sense to me. We're talking only 3 or 4 bucks a day...do you not trust that they get the money? You do realize that the gratuity is shared with many workers you never see. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We had an abysmal wine steward/sommelier in Blu while on Infinity for the TA.

He was so bad that after 3 days of rude and unacceptable behavior (he was angry I didn't attend his "wine pairing class") -- I spoke with the Maitre D and the Head Sommelier.

Had wished I could somehow have remove his "portion" of the grats and I don't think there is a way to do it.

Instead we and another couple just heavily tipped the person who the Head Som. assigned to help us for the rest of the sailing. (The Head Som checked on us nightly for about a week as well. )

We are in the habit of getting an envelope at GS and giving cash (dollars/euros--whatever is best for crew) 

38 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We had an abysmal wine steward/sommelier in Blu while on Infinity for the TA.

He was so bad that after 3 days of rude and unacceptable behavior (he was angry I didn't attend his "wine pairing class") -- I spoke with the Maitre D and the Head Sommelier.

Had wished I could somehow have remove his "portion" of the grats and I don't think there is a way to do it.

Instead we and another couple just heavily tipped the person who the Head Som. assigned to help us for the rest of the sailing. (The Head Som checked on us nightly for about a week as well. )

We are in the habit of getting an envelope at GS and giving cash (dollars/euros--whatever is best for crew) 

Sommelier is not part of the auto grats..

• Like 2

Over on the NCL board, there is an ongoing debate whether the staff gets only apart of, or any of the Daily Service Charge.

Yes, NCL calls it a DSC not a tip  😲 so the conspiracy crowd debates this over, and over, and over, and over again.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

I get the thought that it makes up their pay but my thoughts are

-Pay the staff a decent wage to start with

-Don't add auto tips, reward what you feel is right, based on your own experience.

You forgot the most obvious point.

- Increase the cost of the base cruise.

4 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

-Don't add auto tips, reward what you feel is right, based on your own experience.

Puleease...if they paid the crew a decent wage you wouldn’t be able to afford to cruise.  I am so sick of hearing that old mantra.  Cruise ships are labor intensive ergo low wages that need to be supplemented by the pax.  Granted it’s a lousy system but, in the words of Winston Churchill, “it’s the best system we have”.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Puleease...if they paid the crew a decent wage you wouldn’t be able to afford to cruise.  I am so sick of hearing that old mantra.  Cruise ships are labor intensive ergo low wages that need to be supplemented by the pax.  Granted it’s a lousy system but, in the words of Winston Churchill, “it’s the best system we have”.  

So you can afford fare plus tips, but not the fare including tips, seems strange.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

So you can afford fare plus tips, but not the fare including tips, seems strange.

You bring up a good point.  It makes no difference if you pay the cruise fare plus tips or pay the cruise fare including tips.  I would rather have the cruise fare include the tips so that certain types could no longer remove them....great point.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Who says they can't afford them?? It's a matter of semantics, if it's called a tip (or gratuity), it infers that it's given as an extra for superior service. If it's built into the price of the cruise, it's just another add on cost.

The big hang up is they are telling you how much to give before you even receive the service, so what if you receive mediocre or bad service? It's your money to spend as you see fit. If it's bad, since you don't have the option of cutting it, remove it entirely. 

I never have, but I would have no qualms in doing it if the need arises. 

Build it into the price of the cruise and this subject goes away.

18 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

It's all a game by cruise lines to fool cruisers who only focus on base price.  Then they hit you with "voluntary" grats and port charges.  Practice is prevalent in the service industry.  Just look at all the below the line charges in hotel, phone and cable bills.

10 hours ago, JFontaine said:

The cruise fare is commissionable and taxable, the tips are not.  Add them together and either the TA gets more (staff gets less), or accounting and tax gets far more complicated.

Actually, the cruise fare consists of commissionable, non-commissionable, and taxes.

Edited by Solution

On 5/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, grandgeezer said:

Who says they can't afford them?? It's a matter of semantics, if it's called a tip (or gratuity), it infers that it's given as an extra for superior service. If it's built into the price of the cruise, it's just another add on cost.

The big hang up is they are telling you how much to give before you even receive the service, so what if you receive mediocre or bad service? It's your money to spend as you see fit. If it's bad, since you don't have the option of cutting it, remove it entirely. 

I never have, but I would have no qualms in doing it if the need arises. 

Build it into the price of the cruise and this subject goes away.

Not necessarily does it go away, one cruise line did it years ago and people started tipping anyway, same discussion was had a few years later. 

Been this way for decades and people have been complaining on Cruise Critic since its beginning, don't see anything changing in the future.  

Edited by dkjretired

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Not necessarily does it go away, one cruise line did it years ago and people started tipping anyway, same discussion was had a few years later. 

Been this way for decades and people have been complaining on Cruise Critic since its beginning, don't see anything changing in the future.  

Yep because some people us won’t listen wen they’re told tipping not required, see it here in Australia all the time, when visitors from certain parts of the world just can’t help themselves.